Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

coldplay chiptunes posted:

I guess that depends on how you would like to move your icons around...

I basically want it like Android or desktop operating systems where there is still a grid, but I can put them where I want without them being justified as is default on iDevices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hands Colon
May 7, 2009

requiescant in pace.
I don't see why everyone is bitching about this jailbreak, just downgrade iTunes to 12.1 and it works just fine.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I don't get why anyone is doing this jailbreak

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

You honestly can’t understand why people in the jailbreak thread are jailbreaking?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I guess for those not first time jailbreaking 8.0x

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Taig 2.1.3 was just released and supposedly fixed the being stuck at 20% thing.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

I don't get why you're making this post

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I jailbreaked my thing for the first time and it went without a hitch, I just made sure to downgrade to iTunes, not a big deal

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I was able to jailbreak my iPhone 6, iPad Air 2 and an iPad 3 with Taig 2.1.3 on the latest iTunes.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
Also did the same, TaiG 2.1.3 on my 6+, 5 and my sisters Ipad 4.

It took forever to get the Virtual Machine to cooperate properly and get things installed, but once it decided play it was plain sailing.

pastis
Aug 1, 2004

Ouzo is for louzos
How do you get a VM to cooperate? My attempts yesterday ended unsuccessfully.

Hamburlgar posted:

Also did the same, TaiG 2.1.3 on my 6+, 5 and my sisters Ipad 4.

It took forever to get the Virtual Machine to cooperate properly and get things installed, but once it decided play it was plain sailing.

How did you get the VM to work with it?

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
For some reason allowing file sharing between OS X and the VM as well as downloading the Apple Drivers.

What errors are you getting?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
did biteSMS ever get updated?

Poala Bear
Jan 25, 2007

ICHIBAHN posted:

did biteSMS ever get updated?

Nope. Main dev left a year ago or something and nothing ever happened after that. Someone on reddit decided to make a tweak similar to BiteSMS; Columba. Nowhere near as refined but it's being updated.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
nice. might check it out if I jailbreak. thanks.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
There used to be several tweaks to send your GPS data from a GPS-enabled device to a wifi device. However, all the devs have dropped off the planet so none of them are updated. One claims to work on ios8, but doesn't.

Probably futile, but anyone familiar with a way to accomplish this nowadays? I know I could just use one of the various location faking apps but this is for a game I actually want to play fair on.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Trip report: I was able to use taig 2.1.3 to jailbreak my iPhone 6 with no problem whatsoever. I simply followed the tutorial on their site.

That being said, now the Ingress app won't open, stating that 'iOS integrity check failed'.

Is there a workaround to fool apps that check for this?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

shootforit posted:

Trip report: I was able to use taig 2.1.3 to jailbreak my iPhone 6 with no problem whatsoever. I simply followed the tutorial on their site.

That being said, now the Ingress app won't open, stating that 'iOS integrity check failed'.

Check out the repo http://cydia.qusic.me/ for Xgress.

spongeworthy fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jun 29, 2015

Ezrem
Jan 23, 2006

shootforit posted:

xCon or tsProtector maybe.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Javid posted:

There used to be several tweaks to send your GPS data from a GPS-enabled device to a wifi device. However, all the devs have dropped off the planet so none of them are updated. One claims to work on ios8, but doesn't.

Probably futile, but anyone familiar with a way to accomplish this nowadays? I know I could just use one of the various location faking apps but this is for a game I actually want to play fair on.

There used to be one called roqy-BT or something like that which would allow you to use a cheap Bluetooth-enabled GPS logger. Dunno whether that's been keep updated either.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

shootforit posted:

If you're on 8.2 or earlier, use tsprotector 8. If you're on 8.3, tsprotector doesn't work right yet.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Wow thanks for the quick responses. I tried cress and xcon and the both didn't work. The xgress developer states in the description that it doesn't work with the newest version of Ingress.

Tsprotector wouldn't even let me install.

I appreciate the help in the right direction though guys.

The only reason I want to jailbreak is for custom carrier text and f.lux. Sucks that I'll have to weigh having those tweaks vs. playing my favorite game.

EDIT: Tsprotector 8 actually seems to be working. I'm on 8.3 and ingress v1.79.1.

I was able to load the game and do a few actions. Though I have read that some game actions can be affected by using a workaround. I won't know until tomorrow when I get out to try and do more in game actions.

Earlier when I said it wouldn't let me install Tsprotector , I was trying a very old version, and I had not installed the proper repo for ts protector 8.

shootforit fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 29, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Poala Bear posted:

Nope. Main dev left a year ago or something and nothing ever happened after that. Someone on reddit decided to make a tweak similar to BiteSMS; Columba. Nowhere near as refined but it's being updated.

Thought they were "working" on it but it was going to take a while. (Which has long since passed) Bummer. irealsms is still on ios5 or some poo poo I'll check out Columba

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

shootforit posted:

I was able to load the game and do a few actions. Though I have read that some game actions can be affected by using a workaround. I won't know until tomorrow when I get out to try and do more in game actions.

Earlier when I said it wouldn't let me install Tsprotector , I was trying a very old version, and I had not installed the proper repo for ts protector 8.

I've been playing with tsprotector since the game came out on iOS with no issues. That's their only jailbreak check that I know of.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

Javid posted:

I've been playing with tsprotector since the game came out on iOS with no issues. That's their only jailbreak check that I know of.

That is great to hear. Thanks!

I guess I will start customizing my phone then!

That being said, is there a list of 8.3 compatible tweaks?

I hope that Springtomize gets updated. Until then what are the 5 icon dock and custom carrier tweaks of choice for 8.3?

EDIT looks like Fake Carrier works just fine. No luck on a five icon dock yet.

shootforit fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Jun 29, 2015

aherdofpenguins
Mar 18, 2006

I've started to use Apex 2 and love it, but it doesn't look like there is a way to use Apex 2 and tweaks that move icons around (iconoclasm, homescreendesigner). Are there any icon-moving tweaks that are friendly with Apex 2, or is it basically one or the other?

Are there other apps similar to Apex 2 (hiding apps in apps) that will work with iconoclasm and the like?

edit: Also, if I download a theme like 0xygen's wallpapers, where are they stored? I can find in winterboard where to turn the theme on, but I can't find the wallpaper pack I downloaded through cydia.

aherdofpenguins fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 29, 2015

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
8.4 goes out starting at 8AM Pacific Time on Tuesday.

I'm still on 8.1.2 jailbreak and my computer is broken. Is it recommended for me to try and find a computer Monday afternoon to restore to 8.3 and jailbreak, or is 8.1.2 good enough to wait for an 8.4 or 9 jailbreak? Any glaring security holes that were patched in 8.3?

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

shootforit posted:

EDIT looks like Fake Carrier works just fine. No luck on a five icon dock yet.

Check out betterFiveIconDock from the Red Panda repo.. not sure if it needed to be updated for 8.3 but I doubt it..

goku chewbacca posted:

8.4 goes out starting at 8AM Pacific Time on Tuesday.

I'm still on 8.1.2 jailbreak and my computer is broken. Is it recommended for me to try and find a computer Monday afternoon to restore to 8.3 and jailbreak, or is 8.1.2 good enough to wait for an 8.4 or 9 jailbreak? Any glaring security holes that were patched in 8.3?

If they've patched the 8.3 exploit in 8.4 then you're going to likely be on your current config for quite a while before the next jailbreak, unless TaiG has something up their sleeves. If you're fine with 8.1.2 you can stay there. You can get a quick overview of the update history here or search for the specific security fixes between releases.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

shootforit posted:

What is the proper repo for tsProtector 8? Is typ0s2d10.appspot.com/repo the right one or should I be looking somewhere else? edit: Never mind, that one works fine. Just downloaded Ingress out of curiosity and no warning about my being jailbroken.

EgillSkallagrimsson posted:

I didn't and everything seems to work. :shrug:

Worked smooth as butter for my iPhone 5s, I'm happy to say! Mind you, I never bothered upgrading iTunes from 12.1, so that was never an issue. But I was surprised how painlessly and quickly this went.

Now I just need to decide whether I should update my iPad third gen to 8.3 and re-jailbreak... it seems to have slowed down so much since I upgraded it from iOS 7. Not sure whether 8.3 will help or hurt.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Jun 29, 2015

Sh4
Feb 8, 2009
Same, I'm running 7.1 jb on an iPhone 5 and I don't care about the new features but I'm on the fence just in case there's some performance or battery life improvements on ios8

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Unless you're on old hardware, IMO, always get the latest version while you can.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

The Dave posted:

Unless you're on old hardware, IMO, always get the latest version while you can.

If you want to go through the effort of setting your phone up again. Which is tedious. As with the last several, this too will be skipped. 7.0.4 until this phone dies.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Super Deuce posted:

If you want to go through the effort of setting your phone up again. Which is tedious. As with the last several, this too will be skipped. 7.0.4 until this phone dies.

I dunno. I downloaded the IPSW and just did a shift+update button update. It updated and then jailbroke flawlessly and nothing had to be downloaded again except for Cydia apps, which still retained all their preferences after reinstalling them.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Aren't there also cydia tweaks to restore your installs? I really don't see it as much work at all.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
AptBackup, Open Backup, PkgBackup, xBackup, yeah there are a couple. Combined with apple cloud taking care of regular apps, jailbreaking is such an effortless thing I laugh everytime someone posts about computer janitor work in the ios app thread.

Besides, this is the opportunity to trim your tweak list because chances are you don't use 90% of what you've accumulated since the last.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
There doesn't seem to be any need to restore; shift-update worked for both my iPhone and iPad. Reinstalling my Cydia apps didn't take that long, either, though I did trim the fat in the process.

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

spongeworthy posted:

Check out betterFiveIconDock from the Red Panda repo.. not sure if it needed to be updated for 8.3 but I doubt it..

Indeed betterFiveIconDock from Red Panda does work with 8.3 Thank you for the tip!

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

shootforit posted:

Indeed betterFiveIconDock from Red Panda does work with 8.3 Thank you for the tip!

Infinidock works on 8.3, too, in case you want to squeeze more icons and don't mind scrolling.

Hamburlgar
Dec 31, 2007

WANTED
8.4 released an is already jailbreakable with PP jailbreak. However it's probably best to wait until the updated TaiG tool, as the PP team stole the code that TaiG will be using for the JB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Looks like TaiG already released the 8.4 update (2.2.0), but their site is getting hammered pretty hard right now.

• Locked thread