Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Knuc U Kinte posted:

When he walked into the bank in a line with 4 other goons I glided down behind them and did the fear takedown conga.

I sabotaged his gun, took down all his goons then just dropped in in front of him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Funky Valentine posted:

Good Boss Fights in Asylum:

- literally none of them

Good Boss Fights in City:

- MR. FREEZE
- Solomon Grundy
- Ra's al-Ghul, before it gets tedious
- First Clayface fight

Good Boss Fights in Origins:

- Slade
- Firefly
- Maybe the first Bane fight

Good Boss Fights in Knight:

- Albert King
- Does "singing Joker" count as a boss?

The Deathstoke "fight" was so loving bad. It was literally an interactive cutscene.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The best take down is the inverted takedown and there wasn't a lot of that in Arkham Knight, imo.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Harlock posted:

The best take down is the inverted takedown and there wasn't a lot of that in Arkham Knight, imo.

You get to do it a lot in the 2 face banks, but if oyu have fear you just do a multi takedown from the gargoyles.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Speaking of Fear, I think that the biggest flaw in this game is letting you refill it with silent takedowns. You should get it for doing loud takedowns and frightening the goons. I remember in Asylum, I loved going as loud as possible without actually being seen and watching the goons melt into a terrified state so much faster. They don't really do that any more, or if they do, it's not as pronounced.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Speaking of Fear, I think that the biggest flaw in this game is letting you refill it with silent takedowns. You should get it for doing loud takedowns and frightening the goons. I remember in Asylum, I loved going as loud as possible without actually being seen and watching the goons melt into a terrified state so much faster. They don't really do that any more, or if they do, it's not as pronounced.

the loud takedowns do seem pretty terrifying but it's probably just as scary to turn a corner or look behind you and find 3 of your buddies knocked the hell out and you didn't notice a thing.

and the goons definitely don't get terrified as easily in this game. I've had it happen in a few encounters where they do the usual "flip out, shoot at random corners, turn around a lot" thing but it seems a lot harder to do in this game.

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Fargin Icehole posted:

Batmobile and flying still loving up my PC version. This patch did very little to fix my problems and I didn't see any of the new settings in the graphics options.

The first part of the announcement is stuff that they're working on. The second part is what's in the just released update.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Is there some trick to getting the Riddler trophy nex to the orphanage? The one where you have to shoot a bunch of question marks on the wall in under a certain time limit. No matter how fast I do it it always times out on the last two.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Veotax posted:

Is there some trick to getting the Riddler trophy nex to the orphanage? The one where you have to shoot a bunch of question marks on the wall in under a certain time limit. No matter how fast I do it it always times out on the last two.

Use the missile launcher when all of them light up. Preferably level 3 or 4. Always ran out on the last one or two until I tried that (and yeah, that makes me feel like this is a missable one considering I don't think there's a way to build up batmobile weapon energy without tanks to fight).

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Veotax posted:

If you turn around theres a thing you can fire your winch into that charges up your missiles.

Gatac
Apr 22, 2008

Fifty Cent's next biopic.
Actually, if you turn around from the wall, there's an energy port mounted up high. Winch it and it charges up your secondary weapons energy continuously. A fully-upgraded missile barrage clears the whole board.

e:f,b

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Yup just did that and to make it easier you can still fire the main gun while launching your missiles. So plug into the charger hold down right trigger and shift the cursor around to get the first sets of targets quickly and then when it gets to the last bit keep doing that but spam the missile button too.

Piece of cake.

Also, if you're looking to tackle a lot of stuff before the end game, upgrade your disruptor to take out mines and drones and choose the emp upgrade for the batmobile as soon as you can. You need these for riddler poo poo and road checkpoints.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Toady posted:

The destruction of the Batmobile was the most satisfying moment of the game.

LOL I agree. also agree with the "chase camera" they used being really bad. just everything killing you immediately if you gently caress up and then sitting through another minute and a half of load screens was the most annoying part. if it reloaded IMMEDIATELY it wouldn't have been bad at all but jesus, you have to wait a while.

TheJoker138 posted:

Ha ha, whatever you say.

how the gently caress does someone with a joker avatar not know by now that this isn't even the official look of the joker

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Is this fight still the pinnacle of the series?

Without a doubt. I loved being put in a small space with a walking, talking tank and you needed to have your wits about you. Especially the NG+ version where you needed to figure out ALL the different takedowns to keep him down.

Still hunting for that big secret.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Holy poo poo the Arkham Knight's whining monologues are just getting grating now. Shut the gently caress up you little poo poo.

It's actually pretty upsetting that Scarecrow's being sidelined by this guy.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
I know you can stand still while using detective vision to find dude from sidequests from pretty far away, but there's no easy way to find the landmine bombs other that driving around the islands is there? You know what would be a cool feature, if you could select a sidequest to search for, go to a high up building and use that scanner batarang that shows up twice at the beginning of Ace Chemicals and then never again to find the next an approximate area for the next step of that particular sidequest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mogomra posted:

I thought that the Arkham Knight non-batmobile fight was an interesting idea, and I could see they were trying to top Mr. Freeze from City, but really Mr. Freeze was still better. The Arkham Knight fight was more tedious than anything.

For me at least.

If there was an interesting idea to that fight I didn't see it. It was just "go to Arkham Knight, take him down, finish a predator room, repeat." I guess the fact you can't use gargoyles until he is taken down is kind of distinctive?

I suppose that's my problem with the Albert King fight too. I get they were going for "we're using the combat system as part of the fight" but at the end of the day it just meant it was a regular fight except you don't punch one enemy. I don't mind using regular fights as the basis for a boss fight but I feel like they need at least enough of a gimmick so it doesn't feel exactly like a regular fight. (Mr. Freeze was great at that.)

Singing Joker does own though and if you qualify that as a boss fight it's pretty good at being memorable and fun even if it's simple.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Steve2911 posted:

Holy poo poo the Arkham Knight's whining monologues are just getting grating now.

He was handled so much better in the Under the Red Hood movie. In that, his goals went beyond "gently caress you, bat-dad!"

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
why cant they just make a spiderman game like this its all the cool poo poo batman does minus the tedium.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mr. Unlucky posted:

why cant they just make a spiderman game like this its all the cool poo poo batman does minus the tedium.

The problem with Spider-Man is that he's a super-agile character who is frequently bouncing off walls or moving around or so-on. They've tried to mimic the Batman combat system for Spider-Man games and it ends up kind of lovely. Part of that is that the developers are just worse but part of it is that it just doesn't mimic the way Spider-Man fights very well. They've ripped off the Predator sequences and those work a little better but still feel a little odd, which is probably why they tied them to Spider-Man Noir instead.

Arkham is clever in that it's really designed around emphasizing Batman's strengths and weaknesses and so most of the games that try to rip it off tend to feel more like Batman than whatever hero they're trying to mimic. For all the problems Web of Shadows had it probably is a better Spider-Man combat system than Amazing Spider-Man was.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Actually, who has the rights to make Spiderman games now? Wasn't there a thing a year or two back when Activision lost them and had to stop selling all the old poo poo Spiderman games?

I mean, there's no one to actually make a good Spiderman game, but I'd be interesting in seeing who attempts it next.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007

Steve2911 posted:

Actually, who has the rights to make Spiderman games now? Wasn't there a thing a year or two back when Activision lost them and had to stop selling all the old poo poo Spiderman games?

I mean, there's no one to actually make a good Spiderman game, but I'd be interesting in seeing who attempts it next.
You'd think that making a good Spiderman game would be easy but apparently it's balls hard since so many developers just seems to miss the target completly most of the time.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I really quite liked Web of Shadows. It wasn't a masterpiece but the basic gameplay was really fun and some of the bosses owned. I remember fighting Black Cat in some alley, bouncing off the walls and leaping around and poo poo and thinking "yes this is about right"

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Aquasnake posted:

I know you can stand still while using detective vision to find dude from sidequests from pretty far away, but there's no easy way to find the landmine bombs other that driving around the islands is there? You know what would be a cool feature, if you could select a sidequest to search for, go to a high up building and use that scanner batarang that shows up twice at the beginning of Ace Chemicals and then never again to find the next an approximate area for the next step of that particular sidequest.

Nah, all of that stuff has to be searched for in detail sadly. Also, i dunno if it's due to the patch but my detective vision seems to pick up a LOT more detail when i'm standing still now, like i can see almost all of the people on the islands.

Well, except founders island for some reason. Also, you can't track riddler cars through buildings/bridges, etc which makes them a real pain n the arse to follow on Founders island. This is really the most tedious part of the Riddler stuff because you have to do it so many times to reveal them all.

edit: particularly when i'm down to just 5 challenges left on one of the islands and i can't actually find one of the Riddler guys.

I kinda wish that there was some kind of scripted 'detectiving' involved with these, like with the firemen. So after finding, say 20 of the Riddler thugs (revealing about half of the challenges), Batman pieces together the location of some kind of Riddler thug safehouse that you can invade, beat the tar out of everyone (either predator or combat) and then find maps that they've put together (maybe to screw over Riddler or just sheer stupidity) which reveal the location of the remaining 150 trophies.

That could have given us a whole extra Goony Riddler breakdown too as he didn't count on his hired thugs being so stupid as to do that.

Kin fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 28, 2015

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Aquasnake posted:

Actually, you use the scanner batarang to find Goons that Riddler planted a bomb in.

Perfect Crime perpetrator chat - Looking at him, I think Professor Pyg is modeled after Larry Drake. Also, just noticed that they got Barclay from Star Trek to do his voice. That's pretty weird.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Goddamnit, how do you deal with the knife guys and the guys with stun batons again?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Capsaicin posted:

Goddamnit, how do you deal with the knife guys and the guys with stun batons again?

knife dudes: hold back and the counter button at the same time until their attack animation is complete

stun batons: jump over their heads and then hit them, or shoot them with the REC gun or use freeze grenades

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Capsaicin posted:

Knife guys require you to hold back and depress counter for the duration of their strikes, if you have blade takedown, they'll be immediately KOd.

Electric dudes should be shot with the REC.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Capsaicin posted:

Hold back and tap the counter button with they swing to do an instant takedown. If you can't get the timing, just hold the button down. Having a bit of a hard time pulling it off on the ninjas in NG+. Shoot stun guys with the REC.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yo gently caress this Cloudburst fight. I think I'm on attempt 17.

edit: naturally I beat it on attempt 18 only after bitching on the internet

acksplode fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 28, 2015

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

acksplode posted:

Yo gently caress this Cloudburst fight. I think I'm on attempt 17.

Shoot weakpoint, run away until meter drops, repeat. Unless you have trouble with the cobras. Gotta Solid Snake that poo poo.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

SettingSun posted:

Shoot weakpoint, run away until meter drops, repeat. Unless you have trouble with the cobras. Gotta Solid Snake that poo poo.

I got through that fight using brute force. What was the meter for exactly? When I first saw it I thought it was saying that I had to land as many hits as I could quickly to overload the thing. And that it went into a cooldown (like undoing the damage) if I wasn't quick enough. I gave up on that once I realized that was completely impossible.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

I got through that fight using brute force. What was the meter for exactly? When I first saw it I thought it was saying that I had to land as many hits as I could quickly to overload the thing. And that it went into a cooldown (like undoing the damage) if I wasn't quick enough. I gave up on that once I realized that was completely impossible.

The opposite, actually. The meter is basically the "Knight on your rear end" gauge. When it drops he goes back into patrol mode. Damage stays.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I got stuck on the part after I took out all the cobras where you have to patiently target each side of the tank and then run away. I suck at driving so I keep plowing through cars and street lights, which slows me down. Four rounds of that and if I'm lucky I have a sliver of life left to fight the tank's last form. I just got better at driving and then I won :)

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
So far I love this game more than the previous ones. While Gotham is huge, there are poo poo tons of things to do. The combat and especially predator rooms are still loads of fun. Traversal with the grapnel and glide is more fun than ever, which is huge for me. I'm starting to like the Batmobile in Pursuit mode even though you destroy large chunks of the city in the process. Battle mode still feels way out of place and kind of a slog. The game looks great on PS4. The rain effects, neon lights, and the general design aesthetic for Gotham is jaw-dropping.

The story is fine so far, though I may have spoiled myself while still less than 30% complete with the main story missions. I went to the movie studio where all the people infected with Joker's blood are being held, picked up the freeze blast, and talked to Robin. But with Detective Mode on, he doesn't have any bones and appears like a figment of your fear-gassed imagination - like Joker. Hmmm.

Also I had no idea that Man-Bat was in this game so that particular appearance made me giddy.

I can tell I'm going to replay this several times on new game + and harder difficulties with different Batsuits. It's right up there with Ground Zeroes for making my PS4 purchase worthwhile.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 28, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I feel like there's way fewer plot based sidequests than there were in City. Judging by the wheel anyway there only seems to be three or four that aren't collectibles or a series of little challenges.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

nopantsjack posted:

Only about 3 hours in but I'm gonna start a drinking game where I take a shot every time they call the baddies "animals". Coming from BATman geez

They did that in Asylum and City, too.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Steve2911 posted:

I feel like there's way fewer plot based sidequests than there were in City. Judging by the wheel anyway there only seems to be three or four that aren't collectibles or a series of little challenges.

Fell the same way. would have gladly sacrificed batmobile functionality for more unique content.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

One thing about the postgame that I really appreciated was that they give you a pristine, undamaged Batsuit skin to use if you didn't like the grungy, swiss cheese look. I remember that being one of the things a lot of people complained about in previous games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Funky Valentine posted:

Good Boss Fights in Asylum:

- literally none of them

Good Boss Fights in City:

- MR. FREEZE
- Solomon Grundy
- Ra's al-Ghul, before it gets tedious
- First Clayface fight

Good Boss Fights in Origins:

- Slade
- Firefly
- Maybe the first Bane fight

Good Boss Fights in Knight:

- Albert King
- Does "singing Joker" count as a boss?

What about the Mr. Freeze fight from Origins?

• Locked thread