Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Panzeh posted:

That doesn't seem to jive with my experience of the 90s at all.

There were abstract games, yes, but there was a ton of stuff like Duke Nukem and other things aping action/fantasy movies and books of the time.
I'm thinking 80s actually. Like, it FEELS as back then it was dominated by Zork and Tetris.

Duke Nukem actually was different from the stuff around it. It stood out from the Doom/Dark Forces/System Shock group, all of whom also had male and "masculine" heroes, but Duke Nukem was specifically ABOUT masculinity. With say Doom, it was just kind of clear the guy would look like Rambo - no need to make a point out of it. Duke Nukem stuck out because it made a point out of it. Nowadays, every male character advertised as the protagonist of an action video game I see looks like the Duke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Unfunny Poster posted:

Tetris is Soviet propaganda though.

OH NO, THE SOVIET MUSIC WILL MAKE THE CHILDREN COMMUNISTS

Can't wait til 4th of July, that cannonball song is so patriotic.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Parrotine posted:

So somebody clue me in on what Yatzee has (if anything) to do with Gamergate? Some doofs on another forum keep using GG as a gateway to attack him for his video reviews with maximum nerd rage, but whenever I ask they don't bother to elaborate on what he has to do with it? Did he say something dumb or is this just dorks using rumors to attack the dude for other reasons?

I believe that he has made a few comments on his LP videos that are vaguely sympathetic to GG, but has deliberately avoided mentioning it in his articles and video reviews.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Maxwell Adams posted:

Remember, everything has a message. Tetris' was that communism is good.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Maxwell Adams posted:

Can't wait until my local fireworks show plays "born in the USA" withoutt knowing it's anti war message.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Adams posted:

I've been waiting patiently for someone to make the argument that video game violence is a misandric trope
it's finally happening
Sorry, I know it's really loving obvious, but I was explicitly asked for it.

Although "trope" really is the wrong word here.

Maxwell Adams posted:

Tetris features the Pride Rainbow colors just below Chernobly blew up.

And it's about trying to build a wall without holes. Wall, know what I'm saying?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Cingulate posted:

Yes. I did not mean to imply every video game ever is Arnold Schwarzenegger 3: The Penis With The Bacon Moustache.

I do have a vague impression video games have gotten more in line with the general Hollywood ideal of violence/masculinity over time. Like, there's still stuff like Tetris, but it's proportionally less. But maybe that's just because one remembers stuff like Frogger and Tetris more than countless attempts at being super masculine from back then.

That probably has more to do with the limited technology for graphics at the time more than anything else. (You can only do so much with 8-bit and below graphics). But really there where ALOT of Buff Dudes Saves the World game back then with the protagonist being a ripping off the likeness of Schwarzenegger/Stallone/Van Damme. Video Games are a business and what sales the most with the most appeal is what is going to be produced the most so its not surprising that as graphics improved it would even more so more towards the Hollywood ideal. Now the nice thing is that the amount of money video games generates (and the audience who plays them) allows for niche/lower cost products to be produced outside the standard Producer/Big Development house budget games so the non-standard buff white dude saves world can be made with a successful release.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BexGu posted:

That probably has more to do with the limited technology for graphics at the time more than anything else. (You can only do so much with 8-bit and below graphics). But really there where ALOT of Buff Dudes Saves the World game back then with the protagonist being a ripping off the likeness of Schwarzenegger/Stallone/Van Damme. Video Games are a business and what sales the most with the most appeal is what is going to be produced the most so its not surprising that as graphics improved it would even more so more towards the Hollywood ideal. Now the nice thing is that the amount of money video games generates (and the audience who plays them) allows for niche/lower cost products to be produced outside the standard Producer/Big Development house budget games so the non-standard buff white dude saves world can be made with a successful release.
I'd like to see a study on that, like, really exhaustive.

I do assume technological limitations play a huge role though. Bulging abs and 3-days stubble are hard to render!

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
why is jonathan mcintosh such an incredible idiot?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Cingulate posted:

I do assume technological limitations play a huge role though. Bulging abs and 3-days stubble are hard to render!

it not that hard to believe, look at the cover of a few action games back in the day. the cover for contra for NES is a photoshop of the poster for predator and the cover for the NES metal gear is a stock photo of Kale Reeves from terminator.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cingulate posted:

So, anybody else from the anti-anti-GG side wanna give their take on Anita Sarkeesian?

I would like to know this too. All the answers that have come up so far say that she calls something bad that other people think is not bad, but nobody has refuted any specific claim with a citation of evidence.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

VideoGames posted:

why is jonathan mcintosh such an incredible idiot?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Cingulate posted:

Which part? How many videos games have had buff dues over time and/or successful games with with non-standard buff white dude protagonist?

The latter would be hard to study cause the race/sex/whatever of the protagonist really would't be the reason a game would fail. Take for example Sunset: the game didn't fail cause the main character was a lower income black women but because the game-play was completely un-engaging.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cyron posted:

it not that hard to believe, look at the cover of a few action games back in the day. the cover for contra for NES is a photoshop of the poster for predator and the cover for the NES metal gear is a stock photo of Kale Reeves from terminator.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cingulate posted:

So, anybody else from the anti-anti-GG side wanna give their take on Anita Sarkeesian?

She and Macintosh are bad at video production. That's my chief criticism of their work.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

He seems more right than wrong for a 22-year-old in 2003. Doing better than most of them by a long shot.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BexGu posted:

Which part? How many videos games have had buff dues over time and/or successful games with with non-standard buff white dude protagonist?

The latter would be hard to study cause the race/sex/whatever of the protagonist really would't be the reason a game would fail. Take for example Sunset: the game didn't fail cause the main character was a lower income black women but because the game-play was completely un-engaging.
Yes, it'd be very hard to control all the confounds.

I don't even know how to properly operationalize the notion. Maybe I'd just like to see 20 truly randomly drawn video game protagonists for every year since 1979 or something like that.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Unfunny Poster posted:

She and Macintosh are bad at video production. That's my chief criticism of their work.

They seem well-lit and shot clearly. The sound is better than most videos on youtube. What's the problem?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

BexGu posted:

If the technology had been there earlier in the 80s there would have been 10 million conan games. Already there were tons of side scrollers aping it and whichever action movies came about at the time. Yes, Doom, System Shock, etc. were well known, but most of the games then that were action games tended to be stuff like Body Count or various licensed/thinly veiled side scrollers, etc. Duke Nukem was just one of the most successful of said games. You can see it in other genres, too, like the beat 'em up. Vendetta, for example, has quite literally Hulk Hogan, Mr. T, JCVD, and Mike Tyson.

It's not a new thing. Video games have always kind of aped whichever action movie was popular at the time, from Duke Nukem, to Max Payne to Call of Duty.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

smdh. he sounds insufferable.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Well most early games from japan was localized to hide it Japanese style to appeal to Americans more. his was mostly dropped around the late 90's.

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

Mcintosh's indictment of Doom 4's violence came across as a shameless chasing of whatever is currently in the headlines. Doom 4's violence is tame, and the most offensive things about it are its bland gameplay and art design. Cinematic takedowns, limp weapon sounds, moves slower than Call of Duty even when the hype-men talk up the importance of the game being fast etc. So McIntosh acting like a bunch of die-hard-Bethesda-fanboys in the audience getting excited is the sign of some sort of moral quandry is really absurd.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VideoGames posted:

smdh. he sounds insufferable.

You took the word out of my mouth

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

The Droid posted:

Mcintosh's indictment of Doom 4's violence came across as a shameless chasing of whatever is currently in the headlines. Doom 4's violence is tame, and the most offensive things about it are its bland gameplay and art design. Cinematic takedowns, limp weapon sounds, moves slower than Call of Duty even when the hype-men talk up the importance of the game being fast etc. So McIntosh acting like a bunch of die-hard-Bethesda-fanboys in the audience getting excited is the sign of some sort of moral quandry is really absurd.

He probably is- and I don't think Bethesda really cares. If Doom 4 ended up being controversial it would probably be a good thing for them anyway. It's just getting more eyes on the game.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Parrotine posted:

So somebody clue me in on what Yatzee has (if anything) to do with Gamergate? Some doofs on another forum keep using GG as a gateway to attack him for his video reviews with maximum nerd rage, but whenever I ask they don't bother to elaborate on what he has to do with it? Did he say something dumb or is this just dorks using rumors to attack the dude for other reasons?

Back in January a bunch of people were laid off because of their general stupidity on social media. The Movieblob and others like him were fired from the Escapist (from a cannon) but Yahtzee was not. Thats basically the entire reason people flipped their lids over him: he's a "jerk" and still employed.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Panzeh posted:

He probably is- and I don't think Bethesda really cares. If Doom 4 ended up being controversial it would probably be a good thing for them anyway. It's just getting more eyes on the game.

The big thing now has become people calling to have someone from the Doom dev team fired because he literally laughed in McIntosh's dumb twitter face.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jack Gladney posted:

They seem well-lit and shot clearly. The sound is better than most videos on youtube. What's the problem?

Outside of the previously inconsistency with said output (most series try to keep themselves on a consistent schedule, yes even for YouTube), there are issues with audio peaking, white balance, tightening up the video editing more, etc. that need to be addressed.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 28, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Unfunny Poster posted:

Outside of the previously mentioned poor output and inconsistency with said output (most series try to keep themselves on a consistent schedule, yes even for YouTube), there are issues with audio peaking, white balance, tightening up the video editing more, etc. that need to be addressed.
But basically you're saying there should be more of her, not less.

Are you "pro-GG"? What does GG mean to you, what does feminism mean to you?

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Back in January a bunch of people were laid off because of their general stupidity on social media. The Movieblob and others like him were fired from the Escapist (from a cannon) but Yahtzee was not. Thats basically the entire reason people flipped their lids over him: he's a "jerk" and still employed.

Of course they conveniently ignore that Yahtzee is the only reason people went to escapist in the first place- even if his gg commentary was less tame he probably wouldn't have been fired. Maybe yelled at

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cingulate posted:

I would hope 12 videos could be made in the span of two years, yes.

I'm "everyone involved are pretty dumb." Some will call that GG, some will call that anti-GG. I'll let you decide which it is.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Cingulate posted:

What does that have to do with his criticism

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Unfunny Poster posted:

I'm "these people are stupid for taking video games so seriously that they're having a 'cultural war' over them." Take that as you will.
High five, video games are dumb

I like Anita because she said she doesn't play video games.
I think.

memy posted:

What does that have to do with his criticism
What does said criticism have to do with my question then, considering my question was "what does GG think of her"?

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

The big thing now has become people calling to have someone from the Doom dev team fired because he literally laughed in McIntosh's dumb twitter face.

And Bethesda told them to gently caress off, but it sure got people talkin' about Doom 4 after a pretty underwhelming preview.

Yahtzee is probably still with Escapist because he gets the views.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

memy posted:

Of course they conveniently ignore that Yahtzee is the only reason people went to escapist in the first place- even if his gg commentary was less tame he probably wouldn't have been fired. Maybe yelled at

The gist of yahtzees criticism has been "if someone calls you a mean name over your toys, just laugh at them" which is pretty accurate and wouldve saved people a lot of time / sanity.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Panzeh posted:

And Bethesda told them to gently caress off, but it sure got people talkin' about Doom 4 after a pretty underwhelming preview.

Yahtzee is probably still with Escapist because he gets the views.

The entire reason the game Hatred sold so well was the concentrated smear campaign to label it "a murder sim for murdering murderers," and I don't think they were being ironic about it.

Funny how that worked out.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
^ Polygon wrote 10+ articles about how terrible Hatred is for being "hyper-violent" and that you shouldn't play it.

I also clarified which camp I'm in since there are some cases where people legitimate should take video games (as an industry) seriously to comment on and criticize bad behaviors (eg. Jim Sterling ranting about lovely business practices, people criticizing the writing behaviors of studios to be more inclusive etc.).

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

The entire reason the game Hatred sold so well was the concentrated smear campaign to label it "a murder sim for murdering murderers," and I don't think they were being ironic about it.

Funny how that worked out.
Gamers were tricked out of their money while thinking they won, capitalism actually won. All according to the plan.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Unfunny Poster posted:

I clarified which camp I'm in since
I thought you did that cause I asked you to?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cingulate posted:

I thought you did that cause I asked you to?

I was more so referring to the difference between the last post you quoted and the edit I made to it after you quoted it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Cingulate posted:

Gamers were tricked out of their money while thinking they won, capitalism actually won. All according to the plan.

“The world is indeed comic, but the joke is on mankind.”
-HP Lovecraft

quote:

^ Polygon wrote 10+ articles about how terrible Hatred is for being "hyper-violent" and that you shouldn't play it.

Between that and their "preview" of rock band 4 I don't think they'll be doing video game things for much longer.

• Locked thread