Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Did Bioware ever fix the mouse/keyboard controls adequately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Wolfsheim posted:

What did it for me was when, upon learning of the existence of that long lost elven temple whose original inhabitants were still very much around, she basically goes "That didn't actually happen. Those guys were crazy and everything in there was a lie, because if any of it is true then some of what I was raised to believe is at least slightly wrong and that makes me uncomfortable." It was like an evangelical Christian calling dinosaur fossils devil trickery or some poo poo, and when your inability to cope with reality is that strained you probably shouldn't get to hang out with the people making serious world-changing decisions.

Sera will browbeat a female elvish inquisitor into giving up her religion if they want to keep the relationship going.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kurieg posted:

Sera will browbeat a female elvish inquisitor into giving up her religion if they want to keep the relationship going.

And her family, friends, and culture. It's classic emotional abuse and running into that the first time I played solidified my intense dislike of Sera. She's a consistent, well-written character but a horrible person.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cythereal posted:

And her family, friends, and culture. It's classic emotional abuse and running into that the first time I played solidified my intense dislike of Sera. She's a consistent, well-written character but a horrible person.

Doesn't your fantasy bf Solas demand the same thing by removing the Inquisitor's Dalish tattoos, and renouncing Dalish culture?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

exquisite tea posted:

Doesn't your fantasy bf Solas demand the same thing by removing the Inquisitor's Dalish tattoos, and renouncing Dalish culture?

I thought he only offers you to remove those tattoos, and only if you ask him about that?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Solas doesn't hold the Dalish in high regard, and is pretty racist all-around.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

exquisite tea posted:

IIRC he asks you if he can remove the tats, he respects you if you refuse, abd part of the reason he leaves you is because he doesn't want to force you to choose between the Dalish and him. (There are lots of other reasons too but that's one of them.)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

exquisite tea posted:

Nah he just tells the truth about the face tats (which he knew all along) and gives the player a choice to remove them. It's just a choice between aspects of the culture - "we will never be slaves again" while literally wearing ancient slave tats, or maybe they don't actually mean the same thing now because the Dalish actually aren't the ancient elves anyway and that's okay.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

Solas dislikes the Dalish because they're mired in the past and stagnant, worshiping a false vision of the past rather than moving on and working for a better future. Solas dislikes an elf inquisitor if you share that attitude of locking yourself into the past, and likes you if you express a desire to build a better future for the Dalish.

You can also gain approval with him by refusing to remove your tattoos because no matter what they meant in Solas' time, they have come to mean something different now and that is what matters.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

But yeah Solas is an astounding idiot. Way to pick the only wizard more psychotic than Anders, guy!

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Better a well-meaning god who tries to fix things rather than "I have Vengeance in my head and taking over, totally safe guys" mage.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Shugojin posted:

But yeah Solas is an astounding idiot. Way to pick the only wizard more psychotic than Anders, guy!

To be fair, Solas did his thing out of ignorance, not malice. As far as we know, anyway.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

exquisite tea posted:

Solas' entire moral compass is "whatever I, Solas, want to do at this moment. Don't use magic irresponsibly! Oh wait, give this item of inestimable power to one of the magisters responsible for the archdemons and blights to begin with? Sign me the hell up."

Well, TBF he does turn down the ONE drink pretty emphatically.

"No, and do not ask me again."

Although, I think that has to do more with being bound to Mythal.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

exquisite tea posted:

Wait how is he racist

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Wait how is he racist

Ask him about the Qunari.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cteMF6GypZQ

"I thought your kind was thuggish, simple, and crude...but now I know."

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Harrow posted:

Did Bioware ever fix the mouse/keyboard controls adequately?

No, but you get used to it after a while. I also barely register pressing item ping key too, but I wish there was some more customization options for it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

exquisite tea posted:

Try listening to them talk if you save the Chargers. Solas hates the qunari because of their hyper-authoritarian culture and society. If he meets a qunari who can think for himself and voluntarily reject the Qun, Solas' opinion of the race shoots up a lot.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

GuyUpNorth posted:

Better a well-meaning god who tries to fix things rather than "I have Vengeance in my head and taking over, totally safe guys" mage.

Actually, not so much! Anders is/was a loving lunatic, but because he was limited in ways Solas isn't, i.e. not a god, the latter's ingrained hubris ends up being a lot more dangerous. Solas is the very epitome of doing the wrong things for the right reasons, and despite having it blow up in his face more than once he just keeps doubling down.

Hell, he's already personally responsible for vastly more suffering than any of the other NPCs and arguably more than most of the antagonists. Seriously, I dig how well he's written, but Solas is the worst!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Qunari Inquisitor is an outcast from the Qun culture as well. Solas clearly is using Qunari here to refer to the ethnicity, not the culture.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Cythereal posted:

Try listening to them talk if you save the Chargers. Solas hates the qunari because of their hyper-authoritarian culture and society. If he meets a qunari who can think for himself and voluntarily reject the Qun, Solas' opinion of the race shoots up a lot.

Inquisitor Adaar: One of the "good ones"

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

exquisite tea posted:

And if you have high approval of him he basically tells you "You're one of the good ones".

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

The Qunari Inquisitor is an outcast from the Qun culture as well. Solas clearly is using Qunari here to refer to the ethnicity, not the culture.

And even if you take the paths with Bull and a Qunari Inquisitor that result in Solas liking you, there's still a pretty strong undercurrent of, "You're one of the good ones" to his interactions. It comes as no shock considering his background but, in addition to his other baggage, dude has a tendency to be extremely paternalistic.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

It's almost like an Onion headline. "Racist grandpa slowly grasps that other races are made of real people."

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Considering the Qunari as a whole represent pretty much the antithesis of Solas' beliefs and values he has a fairly good reason to be so racist towards them. "We'd lobotomize you if we could" doesn't exactly engender much understanding in someone.

Solas isn't perfect, but the groups he holds distaste for do just so happen to be those who are openly hostile towards him. And he's also like, kinda loving right about them? The Dalish actually are hostile to anything threatening their worldview, as well as huge pricks in general. And the Qunari have aspects that are completely horrific with their treatment of mages, mental conditioning, imperialism and cultural oppression. In that video he's lashing out at the Inquisitor for conscripting the mages, which seemingly validates his belief that all Qunari are oppressive towards mages and total dicks in general.

The whole "you're one of the good one's" is certainly a lovely way of looking at it, but again kinda right. The vast majority of the Qunari actually do represent the Qun in all its abhorrent practices. The Qunari we've seen are all either part of the Qun, and thus want to conquer and oppress the world, or slavering Tal Vashoth who are little better than animals or the protagonist. So the Qunari Inquisitor demonstrating freethinking and liberal beliefs does make them one of the good ones from Solas' perspective. His problem is an inability to distinguish the Vashoth people from the Qun (thus associating all the lovely Qun "barbarism" with the species itself), which is something nearly everyone, even the Qunari themselves, have a problem with because it's so loving ubiquitous.

I'm sure that if any of us met a Nazi who hugged kittens and likes Jews, there'd still be a temptation to think of them as "one of the good Nazi's". The problem with the Qunari is that it's like if Germany was 99% made up of Nazi's. It'd be kinda hard to think of a German without associating them with a Nazi. And I think Solas definitely thinks the Qunari are as bad as Nazi's. So I think it's more understandable and complex that Solas JUST being a racist grandpa.

Or maybe I'm just overthinking it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You are. Solas will have similar lines for both Dwarf and Human Inquisitors as well.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
"Heritage, not hate."

-a direct quote from Solas

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Nephthys posted:

The vast majority of the Qunari actually do represent the Qun in all its abhorrent practices. The Qunari we've seen are all either part of the Qun, and thus want to conquer and oppress the world, or slavering Tal Vashoth who are little better than animals or the protagonist.
What exquisite tea said, and also the bolded part is what's important here. We have never actually seen Qunari society or the normal people in it, other than the glimpses Bull gives us when he talks about it. Most of the Qunari we've met in the games have been invaders or other military, spies, mercenaries or Tal-Vashoth--all inherently hostile in some way. It's certainly understandable why most non-Qunari (especially Tevinters) would be biased against them, but Solas should know better than to paint all of them with the same brush when he has never actually witnessed how their society functions for normal people. While it's fine for him to have philosophical or political objections to the structure of their society and religion, he rushes to judgment about the character of Qunari people in a pretty drat racist--and hypocritical, given his appreciation for questioning supposedly set knowledge--way. It's almost like his :siren: PRIDE :siren: blinds him to these things...

Solas is a significantly flawed character, which is why I like him (and think he's well-written) even though he's a huge rear end in a top hat.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
Solas is right on target in his criticisms - I don't think anyone is arguing that he's wrong about the Qun or the Dalish. But just because he has legitimate criticisms doesn't make him going "you're a credit to your people" at the Inquisitor any less lovely.

I think it does underline his hypocrisy. He wants other people to be open minded about his pet projects but being open minded about qunari possibly not being mindless slaughtering assholes never even occured to him.

Because Solas is a dick who smothers and kills everything he touches.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
OK so I just finished this game and I'd really like some help understanding what the gently caress happened after the credits. I read back a couple pages and saw people talking about a bunch of stuff I never saw in the game, even though I played it for 220 hours, found most of the codex entries, completed almost every side quest, and took the time to do everyone's personal mission. I even took all the perks that gave me extra dialogue options and asked as many questions as possible to everyone I talked to but I'm still a little lost.

Specifically, how did you all figure out what all the colossal gently caress-ups were? When did they happen and when/where did you get all this information? I talked to Solas a fuckton and brought him along for any mission where spirits were involved. I even took him into The Fade with me and translated the stuff that the fear demon says to him but that still didn't explain everything you all seem to know. What was the orb? Where did Solas get it? He talks about unlocking it but I never saw or read anything else about it? Was it the same as or related to all those other orbs you find all over the place that make The Veil more stable? What was Solas doing to try to fix things?

Most importantly (for me), how was Solas involved with Mythal? I know that the elven legends don't tell the full story and that the perception of both gods changed over time, but what was Mythal doing and was Fen'Harel working with her? If so, what were they trying to accomplish? Were they both people who were possessed by spirits or what?

How did you all find out stuff about The Old Gods? Where can I find all this? I've been reading everything I can about Flemeth since I finish DA:O and I still have no idea what the whole deal is with Old God souls and transferring them around and I still don't even know what the deal is with the well and sharing memories and possessing bodies and stuff is all about. I figured out that Flemeth was Mythal as soon as you summon her at the mountaintop in DA2 but I still have no idea what she's been doing all this time or what her ultimate goal is. She says something about revenge but that's it.

And what are The Old Gods anyway? I've read tons of codex entries but all they say is that they're sealed away and sleeping somehow. Supposedly by The Maker but he probably never existed so what's the real explanation? Who or what did this? And where did you all get this information about how when all the Old Gods die bad poo poo might happen?

I feel like I've spent a shitload of time trying to figure out the history of these games and while I've certainly learned a lot, I know almost nothing about the most important events that go back thousands of years before DA:O started.

Is there maybe a summary somewhere that someone could link me to? The Dragon Age wiki isn't the most reliable source of information.

Elephant Ambush fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jul 1, 2015

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
First: Solas is a God. Specifically, he is Fen'Harel, known as The Dread Wolf in Elven culture. The Orb was an artifact that could focus an enormous amount of energy for a specific purpose, and it belonged to Fen'Harel. The belief is that the Elven Gods were in fact extremely old Elves who because extremely powerful in the Fade (the land of dreams). Fen'Harel separated the Fade from the real world with the Veil, effectively putting them to sleep for eternity (or however long he felt like). What lead him to do this is currently unknown but there are suspicions that it was because of something that the Dwarves did. It's not known exactly what the Orb was meant for either, but it's possible Fen-Harel created it to tear down the Veil in the future if it turned out what he did was a mistake. Solas started the entire chain of events in the game by giving his Orb to Corypheus, who used it to try and break physically in to the Fade. There are a bunch of other Elven Gods, and we've met one other - Mythal, whom Solas kills/steals energy/steals life from in the post-credits scene. Unlike Solas who is the God Fen'Harel, Flemeth only carried a fragment of Mythal that she wanted to pass on to Morrigan. They clearly knew each other but it doesn't seem like they were actually working together.

The Old Gods: The Old Gods were the 7 ancient high Gods of the Tevinter Imperium, believed (at least in Codex entries) to be unusually powerful High Dragons. Supposedly they taught the Tevinter Imperium magic and helped them overthrow the Elven culture, but Solas says that the Imperium more or less stole everything from the Elves. The 7 highest priests devised a ceremony to pierce the Veil so they could serve the Old Gods in person, but when they arrived they found the Golden City (city of the Maker) already corrupted and diseased. The corruption affected the high priests and they became the first Darkspawn. Corypheus is one of those high priests (called Magisters), and a few other have shown up in various bits and pieces. Widely believed to be myths until Corypheus showed up and started yelling at people. Whatever the Old Gods were or are, they have an essence which is somehow important or powerful.

The Maker: The Chantry tale is that the Maker was insulted by the Magisters breaking in to the Golden City and that he/she/it threw the Magisters out, and this is what caused the Golden City to be tainted. Well, the Magisters (specifically Corypheus) claimed that everything was tainted when they arrived. Here's the thing - The Golden City exists, as does the Seat of the Maker so it's entirely possible the Maker exists as well. Nobody knows but since everyone else (Old Gods, Elven Gods, Magisters) seem to be real, it's possible the Maker will turn out to be real as well.

Dwarves: Dwarves are the only race that cannot access the Fade in any way - they can't use magic, and they can't dream. The working theory is that the Dwarves did something Real Bad which caused someone or something to fully cut them off from the Fade. If what Corypheus said is true they may in fact be responsible for the tainting of the Golden City and the Blight. Solas implies in party banter that the Dwarves could at one point access the Fade but doesn't go in to any details. Also, the Dwarves are all assholes and have perhaps the worst culture in the game, which is really saying something in this setting.

My pet theory: Solas/Fen'Harel is an rear end in a top hat, the Dwarves are all assholes and Barkspawn was a Magister and started the Blight by humping the Maker's leg

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
Related to the above, I just wanted to say that in a game full of dumb dialogue, Corypheus' line about the throne of the gods being empty was pretty good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The whole recurring theme of Dragon Age is that people don't know what the gently caress, and the ones who think they know consistently and invariably make things worse.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

The whole recurring theme of Dragon Age is that people don't know what the gently caress, and the ones who think they know consistently and invariably make things worse.

Good summery. Thedas is more or less Prisoner's Dilemma: The Fantasy Setting.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END

peer posted:

Related to the above, I just wanted to say that in a game full of dumb dialogue, Corypheus' line about the throne of the gods being empty was pretty good.

The game had some dumb dialogue, sure, but it didn't overwhelm me. Absolutely BioWare's tightest effort on that front in some time. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the dialogue flowed with the companions, save for Sera. The static conversations were a massive letdown for me, though.

Also, about Corypheus, it was nice to have a truly hubristic villain in a RPG again. And issues with the abruptness of the last battle aside, the fact he beeseched the gods he claimed to no longer serve as he was facing defeat was the perfect end to his character. Would have loved to have had more interactions with him, but oh well.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

exquisite tea posted:

Also that all the myths and legends are true but somewhat different in reality

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Treat any dialogue with Solas with the assumption of him being Fen'harel, and his knowledge makes surprising amount of sense.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

grack posted:

First: Solas is a God. Specifically, he is Fen'Harel, known as The Dread Wolf in Elven culture. The Orb was an artifact that could focus an enormous amount of energy for a specific purpose, and it belonged to Fen'Harel. The belief is that the Elven Gods were in fact extremely old Elves who because extremely powerful in the Fade (the land of dreams). Fen'Harel separated the Fade from the real world with the Veil, effectively putting them to sleep for eternity (or however long he felt like). What lead him to do this is currently unknown but there are suspicions that it was because of something that the Dwarves did. It's not known exactly what the Orb was meant for either, but it's possible Fen-Harel created it to tear down the Veil in the future if it turned out what he did was a mistake. Solas started the entire chain of events in the game by giving his Orb to Corypheus, who used it to try and break physically in to the Fade. There are a bunch of other Elven Gods, and we've met one other - Mythal, whom Solas kills/steals energy/steals life from in the post-credits scene. Unlike Solas who is the God Fen'Harel, Flemeth only carried a fragment of Mythal that she wanted to pass on to Morrigan. They clearly knew each other but it doesn't seem like they were actually working together.

A couple of things...

We actually have no confirmation that Fen'Harel actually created the Veil. All we know is that he did something that hosed over the elves in an attempt to end the civil war. It's implied that it involves the creation of the Veil, but I've never seen anything that actually shows that.

Similarly, is there anything that shows that Solas actually IS the god Fen'Harel himself and not a reincarnation or carrying a shard like Flemeth is? As far as I recall, they both talk like they are Fen'Harel and Mythal respectively.

Also, given what we know about possession, it's entirely possible that the post-credits exchange was voluntary. We know that possession has to be accepted by the host, though it's plausible that this works by different rules. Flemythal could have intentionally transferred Solas her power/soul/lifeforce/shard of Mythal/???. I feel like I saw Patrick Weekes say something implying it WAS voluntary, but I'm not sure where, I'll have to look for that later. We don't know why she would do it, but given their conversation, I have a feeling she was ready to die anyway and needed to pass on the shard, and maybe it had something to do with restoring the glory of the elves/tearing down the Veil.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Stroop There It Is posted:

A couple of things...

We actually have no confirmation that Fen'Harel actually created the Veil. All we know is that he did something that hosed over the elves in an attempt to end the civil war. It's implied that it involves the creation of the Veil, but I've never seen anything that actually shows that.

Similarly, is there anything that shows that Solas actually IS the god Fen'Harel himself and not a reincarnation or carrying a shard like Flemeth is? As far as I recall, they both talk like they are Fen'Harel and Mythal respectively.

Also, given what we know about possession, it's entirely possible that the post-credits exchange was voluntary. We know that possession has to be accepted by the host, though it's plausible that this works by different rules. Flemythal could have intentionally transferred Solas her power/soul/lifeforce/shard of Mythal/???. I feel like I saw Patrick Weekes say something implying it WAS voluntary, but I'm not sure where, I'll have to look for that later. We don't know why she would do it, but given their conversation, I have a feeling she was ready to die anyway and needed to pass on the shard, and maybe it had something to do with restoring the glory of the elves/tearing down the Veil.

I don't know if possession has to be accepted. Connor was hardly accepting.

And word of canon is pretty much yes, Solas is Fen'Harel. Even his sidequest name is an anagram for 'he's totally Fen'Harel'.

I want to do a third, thorough playthrough of the game sometime but the idea of spending another huge chunk of time is a bit wearing when a lot of other games are grabbing my attention. Maybe when a solid DLC comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I don't know if possession has to be accepted. Connor was hardly accepting.

And word of canon is pretty much yes, Solas is Fen'Harel. Even his sidequest name is an anagram for 'he's totally Fen'Harel'.

I want to do a third, thorough playthrough of the game sometime but the idea of spending another huge chunk of time is a bit wearing when a lot of other games are grabbing my attention. Maybe when a solid DLC comes out.
Connor did accept possession from the demon. He agreed to it in exchange for the demon saving his father's life after Jowan poisoned him. The initial step has to be voluntary, but it's not like the possessing spirit needs permission to stick around.

• Locked thread