Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

Edit: Never spend gold on your captains, or really on anything except port slots and ships

Unless they add "permanent for gold" camo like Tonks has anyway. Also you should only buy ship slots during sales, if they follow the Tonks method there should be 50% off on slots sales several times a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hazdoc posted:

Once your captain has 3-4 skills, its better to move the captain up and spend money on retraining than it is to get a new commander. The retraining will finish in 2-3 matches and then you have the benefit of a bunch of skills to use, and you can keep adding more. Especially important if you got a high skilled commander from finishing in a top % of the closed beta, less important if you're keeping old ships (you can just leave the captain in the ship and get a new one for the new ship).

Edit: Never spend gold on your captains, or really on anything except port slots and ships

Retraining is cheap enough that it's always worthwhile to retrain a captain even for free because low skill captains basically take no xp to retrain.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
You don't need as much free xp just to make stock boats playable as you do in tanks. There are some boats that need a module upgrade to be playable, but those are generally pretty low tier. You can still use it to fully upgrade ships, but not free-xping modules isn't shooting yourself in the foot the way tanks is.
On the other hand you can still free xp past ships, and some ships richly deserve it, and it takes 45000 to get out of the Furutaka which is worse than the Kuma even fully upgraded. :shrug:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
The phoenix is a notable ship for burning some free xp on. The stock hull is utter garbage, and you get 2 guns for each hull upgrade you get. The upgraded turrets also improve your rate of fire, turning it from utter poo poo tier to merely bad tier.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Ugh. Probably ten more games with the Kawachi. Kill me now :(

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

HMS Barham, 25 November 1941

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdrISbwy_zI

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

NTRabbit posted:

HMS Barham, 25 November 1941

All those dudes on the hull trying to get off and them the magazine goes. :smith:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

The Locator posted:

All those dudes on the hull trying to get off and them the magazine goes. :smith:

Yeah it's not the nicest thing to watch and think about, but personally I think it's important to see and remember.

There's quite a bit of high quality (for the era) naval footage compared to land footage, probably because it was safer and more stable to film.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 28, 2015

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
841 men lost from a crew of 1,184. Welp. People ask for visible crew in the game but even if it was technically feasible and wouldn't net the game a mature rating, I'm not sure I'd want to be reminded of that every single time I blow up some pubbie.

Gamechat: my ping to the server jumps wildly between 240 and 400, with near-constant severe packet loss. Previously it was 220. I think they may have switched to the NA East server or something after the wipe, it's making the game nearly unplayable. I want to go blow up baddies with my Atago :(

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Invite code: IhopethesebotsF93K4don'tU5C72takeWFUATitbefore95KAHyougetit

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
A tier 7 Carrier in low tier game, what could possibly go wrong.

He murdered a ship with every plane rotation, starting with a kongo 1 minute into the game.
We were pointlessly sailing in formation for AA cover but didn't manage to down many planes.

(AA on Furutaka is for show only)

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Welp I bought the Atago.
Hope it is worth it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Michaellaneous posted:

Welp I bought the Atago.
Hope it is worth it.

I'm waiting and hoping for a sale, since I'm playing pretty casual. After they merge the gold from WoT I'll have plenty to buy whatever I want, but don't see any point in jumping into them until after there are a lot of non-premium ships at those tiers. My current threshold for enjoyment is about 3 or 4 games then I log out and go do something else.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Atlanta good as always.

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:
Grem is still an amazing DD. Came out to about 3200 exp, can't remember how many credits.

/burning a Warspite for almost 30,000hp, love it Atlanta

Michi88 fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 28, 2015

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
What guidelines do people use for switching between AP & HE now?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Largepotato posted:

HE, AP if you're a BB and shooting at something you're guaranteed to pen (and not overpen, like a DD, knocking out the DD's engines with HE is better than overpenning with AP). Sometimes you can change to AP if you're shooting down a tier, especially if your enemy is a cruiser, especially if that cruiser's name is the Kuma.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.

Hazdoc posted:

The phoenix is a notable ship for burning some free xp on. The stock hull is utter garbage, and you get 2 guns for each hull upgrade you get. The upgraded turrets also improve your rate of fire, turning it from utter poo poo tier to merely bad tier.

Exactly what I did, recommended.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Largepotato posted:

• Battleships: AP on everything. Can't pen? Get closer. Can't get closer? Use HE. Getting closer works on pretty much every BB except for like, the Yamato and probably the Montana.
  • Cruisers: HE on BBs, AP on everything else. At super low tiers HE on everything (Erie and Chester can't seem to pen for poo poo).
  • Destroyers: HE on everything. Higher tier US DDs have decent pen though, so you can probably use AP on ships with weaker armour like the Pensacola. I also like to use AP on other DDs if you can hit them in the right spot.
  • Everything versus Carriers: HE to set it on fire. Once I've set it on fire twice I like to shoot AP since you can get sweet citadel hits and wreck it real fast but you can keep shooting HE at it too.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
loving hell. Of course the EU server decides to poo poo itself and die jsut as i'm about to finish a brilliant 4-kill match with the stock Kongo (including a beautiful 15km tripple citadel slamdunk against a Hosho) that would have given me the engine upgrade. :argh:

Haerc
Jan 2, 2011

Phinneus Periwinkle posted:

Has anybody noticed a change in artillery camera since the wipe? For some reason the camera is moving up and down instead of my cursor

It was like that early on in the closed beta, when I came back about 2 weeks before the wipe it was gone, now it's back. :Wargaming:

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Krogort posted:

A tier 7 Carrier in low tier game, what could possibly go wrong.

He murdered a ship with every plane rotation, starting with a kongo 1 minute into the game.
We were pointlessly sailing in formation for AA cover but didn't manage to down many planes.

(AA on Furutaka is for show only)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd5bm4Iq3HE

This video is from yesterday and after watching it, its hard to see how carriers don't change in some way. Yes, its a perfect game: no enemy carrier, tons of low tier poo poo bucket BB's with no AA, but still. The gameplay looks neither challenging, nor engaging. AA at low tiers needs to be reworked - OBT is gonna be hilarious.

Radio-Controlled
Mar 31, 2005
The man for the job.
OK I don't have permission to any of the WoWS TS channels..

I'm NothingmaN79 in game.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So tired, so very loving tired, of the goddamn "collision avoidance" system.

That "helpful" automation has screwed me over so many times and I really wish WG would just remove the drat thing already.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Phinneus Periwinkle posted:

Has anybody noticed a change in artillery camera since the wipe? For some reason the camera is moving up and down instead of my cursor
Just to be sure, you're not on the lowest zoom setting are you? Because it's always done that on the lowest zoom setting, and changes when you zoom in.

RennZero
Oct 10, 2007

"Get in."
Pretty sure you can turn off collision avoidance. I mean, with the amount of times I run smack into islands and friendly ships, I sure as hell don't seem to have any collision avoidance system in place.

Also, the Kuma owns bones. Most fun I have had in this game so far, including hammering away at and sinking BBs with the St. Louis.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Man, Karma is biting me in the rear end in the Furutaka. Went from 10 games 10 wins in the Kuma to 3/11 in the Furutaka. I'm not playing badly, but the combination of bad speed/agility and horrendous DPS makes it feel like the Kawachii all over again, rather than a beautiful IJN cruiser. The only saving grace is the angled funnel, and I'm getting close to the point where that just isn't enough, anymore.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So Fog_Battleship_Gneisenau claimed he's gonna report me for calling him a whiny nazi. If you see him be sure to keep doing it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Lord Koth posted:

So tired, so very loving tired, of the goddamn "collision avoidance" system.

That "helpful" automation has screwed me over so many times and I really wish WG would just remove the drat thing already.

In the game, under Settings -> Controls, you can turn the collision avoidance system off, or to only be on in binocular view. You can also now select to not have to hold down the alt-key in settings.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

The Locator posted:

In the game, under Settings -> Controls, you can turn the collision avoidance system off, or to only be on in binocular view. You can also now select to not have to hold down the alt-key in settings.

Oh drat, I should turn the alt-thing on. I didn't know they finally added that.

Phinneus Periwinkle
Jan 17, 2010

Insert name here posted:

Just to be sure, you're not on the lowest zoom setting are you? Because it's always done that on the lowest zoom setting, and changes when you zoom in.

No I played around with the zoom and it didn't help, it's not a big deal in fact it's actually considerably easier to aim, I just prefer the way it used to work.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

The Locator posted:

Huh, didn't realize that, so thanks. And yeah, as Rennzero mentioned, it activating is wonky too, which makes it even worse.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

Radio-Controlled posted:

OK I don't have permission to any of the WoWS TS channels..

I'm NothingmaN79 in game.

What server were you on? I didn't see you and I have been in there for hours.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Look who's baaack.....

That was the first match after her hull upgrade, too. Won by domination points literally three seconds before the timer ran out. :haw:

Magni fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 29, 2015

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Velius posted:

Man, Karma is biting me in the rear end in the Furutaka. Went from 10 games 10 wins in the Kuma to 3/11 in the Furutaka. I'm not playing badly, but the combination of bad speed/agility and horrendous DPS makes it feel like the Kawachii all over again, rather than a beautiful IJN cruiser. The only saving grace is the angled funnel, and I'm getting close to the point where that just isn't enough, anymore.
The Kuma is an under-appreciated ship with plenty of fast-reloading guns that have good velocity and arcs with the downside of being easy to citadel if not angled properly. It teaches the IJN cruiser playstyle really well. I wish they had never added the Furutaka. I would gladly grind 100k exp in the Kuma to go straight to the Aoba like before patch 0.3.1.

The Furutaka is so painful that I play one game in it then go do something else for an hour. 30k exp to the Aoba. :smithicide:

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I'm glad someone was using the test server properly.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
Atago's concealment is insane. I have Concealment System and camo on and I have to get to within 10 km to be detected by enemy :stare:

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
Most high-tier IJN cruisers can do that. I had some fun during beta with the Ibuki because with the mod and a concealment expertise captian, you could drop torps at a closing enemy without being spotted as if you were a morbidly obese IJN destroyer.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Wargaming did a great job with the carrier bot AI, so lifelike. They sit in one place just like a pubbie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Bots moving is a toggleable option.