Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

http://imgur.com/gallery/EeFUt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
http://flightlines.airforcetimes.com/2015/06/26/b-52-crews-drop-pacafs-last-vietnam-era-bomb/

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

"But I can't talk about it."

Guy got some great pictures, but he's an idiot.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

"But I can't talk about it."

Guy got some great pictures, but he's an idiot.

Refueling is super duper secret, guys. Here are my ultra exclusive refuel pictures.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
*puts megasecret NOFORN refueling vid up on youtube roughly every other day*

*is an ARW press 'office'*

But I can't talk about it.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

quote:

Couldn't help myself with the reference. (gently caress off - I know it was an F-14 with a A-4E/F (or"Mig-28") in the movie) This is the F-15. My 2nd favorite AC in the world. Soon to be replaced by the F-35.
:catstare:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I know, I can't tell if he's bragging or it's some sort of warning

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Also not an A-4 but an F-5 that played the Mig-28

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

simplefish posted:

Listen there's a lot of bad to parse in that caption.

I bet the dude breaths through his mouth like 90% of the time.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

simplefish posted:

My sole experience with fighters is watching Top Gun twenty times from 1994 to 1996 and even I knew that poo poo.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I bet the dude breaths through his mouth like 90% of the time.

Well he's probably an enlisted man so that goes without saying.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

MrChips posted:

Well he's probably an enlisted man so that goes without saying.

Harumph, very good comment jeeves. Now where is my riding crop? I need to go discipline the Other Ranks.

MadBurgerMaker
Mar 7, 2007
Lurker

This image is from the D&D thread about the F-35, but I don't want to ask over there. Does the "drooped" nose on this, what appears to be the Naval version of the Tejas, affect performance in any meaningful way? I imagine it helps visibility on approach, but what would the drawbacks be for something like that?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

It's not actually a droop-nose, it just looks weird from that angle.

MadBurgerMaker
Mar 7, 2007
Lurker
You sure? It looks different:

Compared to this one:

But not as much as at first glance though.

E: Am I losing it? I swear that nose on the Navy version looks like it's got a droop to it. :confused:

E2: Maybe it's just two seater vs single seater. Hm.

MadBurgerMaker fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 28, 2015

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
GAO (more or less) shits on the USAF's numbers about the costs associated with retiring the A-10.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
Yeah, looks like just the difference from stuffing the second seat in.

Though in that vein the Navy version of the F-111 was 8.5 feet shorter in the nose than the Air Force version to fit on carrier elevators:

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Requesting pictures of the F-4 prototype before a bunch of crap got added.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Requesting pictures of the F-4 prototype before a bunch of crap got added.

:iia:

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

All fast movers look super awesome until you add all the poo poo that makes them useful as war weapons.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

evil_bunnY posted:

All fast movers look super awesome until you add all the poo poo that makes them useful as war weapons.

Counter-point:

:colbert:

Somebody fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 29, 2015

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Fatback Vipers take it too far but I generally love the bumpy, fatter, upgraded fighters. Those sleek prototype fighters look weird like a supermodel who might pose well but has to suckle hummingbird juice every five minutes to keep from expiring.

I'll give an exemption to early Bf-109s

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Totes agree. modern low-rcs planes look nice again because you can't afford to have a million gizmos hanging in the wind.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
The last flying Vulcan has been out and about this weekend. Here's a pic someone just posted on Facebook:

And here she is flying over my back yard this afternoon. God I love living here. iPhone filmed so potato quality, sorry.

http://youtu.be/C4cQ62alrW8

monkeytennis fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 28, 2015

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I agree, we should lose the last flyable Vulcan to some punk with a MANPAD

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Forums Terrorist posted:

RAF.txt these days

Doctor Grape Ape
Aug 26, 2005

Dammit Doc, I just bought this for you 3 months ago. Try and keep it around for a bit longer this time.
It's only flyable through the end of this year, then I believe it's getting retired. I say strap a Blue Steel on the thing and let it go out in a blaze of glory.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

Forums Terrorist posted:

:eng101: Some punk with a MANPADS.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Buttcoin purse posted:

Thanks to Microprose I had heard of most of the city names mentioned in news commentary on the Arab Spring.

I can't believe there aren't more Google search results for "SAM radar at Tripoli". It must have been the first mission after you installed or created a new pilot or something, I seemed to always be doing that one.

Me in 5th grade:

"What is a tank farm? Do they build the tanks there? I dont understand. What is a FAE? Why does it blow up ships? It is time to land on the carrier, lets land on the carrier. The F-117 is a neat plane."

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I like the uglied-up production version more.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

mlmp08 posted:

Fatback Vipers take it too far but I generally love the bumpy, fatter, upgraded fighters. Those sleek prototype fighters look weird like a supermodel who might pose well but has to suckle hummingbird juice every five minutes to keep from expiring.

I'll give an exemption to early Bf-109s

Fatback Storm Falcons with the spines and dual seats are so much my jam.

They are pretty, they got cool gizmos, they can fly a lot longer AND you get to bring a buddy for a ride!

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

So this is probably been posted already, but it's worth a look.

The "Lun" Ekranoplan

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vahakyla posted:

Fatback Storm Falcons with the spines and dual seats are so much my jam.

They are pretty, they got cool gizmos, they can fly a lot longer AND you get to bring a buddy for a ride!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JphDdGV2TU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dietrich posted:

So this is probably been posted already, but it's worth a look.

The "Lun" Ekranoplan

These are nice shots - I didn't realize it had an endurance of five days. Also I'm impressed that the interior is still in good shape - from the exterior you'd figure it'd be full of old beer cans.

inkjet_lakes
Feb 9, 2015

monkeytennis posted:

The last flying Vulcan has been out and about this weekend. Here's a pic someone just posted on Facebook:

And here she is flying over my back yard this afternoon. God I love living here. iPhone filmed so potato quality, sorry.

http://youtu.be/C4cQ62alrW8

Always enjoy the naivety of those FB posts about ISIS (pretty sure people ARE bombing them already anyway), I'm sure the Vulcan with no visual weapons aiming systems would fare ever so well.

Also: You git, I live pretty close to Elvington but was working on Saturday so didn't see anything (and missed it by seconds when they did an airshow practice a few weeks back). Not going to get another chance to see 558 fly ever again.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The F-35: it can't dogfight.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

:laffo:

Is this a creditable article? Because if it is, this is laughable depressing.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

Don't need to! You have Sidewinders and Slammers~

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I have no idea if the article is credible or not but I'm guessing that a scathing 5 page brief that describes F-35 capabilities with any accuracy or detail is classified and probably should not have been obtained by War Is Boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veritek83
Jul 7, 2008

The Irish can't drink. What you always have to remember with the Irish is they get mean. Virtually every Irish I've known gets mean when he drinks.
Taking a really quick look at Mr. Axe's other writings on the F-35, I'm inclined to think that he's pretty wedded to the worst case scenario narrative for the F-35.