Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
I am sure the big partners like scg and such know which cards are coming out well before the general public does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

rabidsquid posted:

That's a really low payoff high risk long con to run.

But think of their kids' college fund! Those legion loyalists are gonna go from $1-5!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

I would like that, I just don't see it because apparently Development actually thinks Elvish Mystic is overpowered right now (Maro said this on his blog). What does that say about Hierarch and Birds of Paradise? Not much good, I think.

MySwan posted:

So what is wizards enforcement against insider trading? Like, I see all the goblin piledrives are sold out or are going for higher than the were a week ago, what check does wizards use to keep employees who knew about the reprint ahead of everyone else from speculating? There's no background checks for dealing cards and I've heard it discussed here how they are nigh untraceable once stolen or something. At the same time, I've never heard rumblings of this happening so they must have some sort of enforcement. Does anybody have any insight into this?

Probably getting fired over making a small amount of money here or there. But I wouldn't be surprised if WOTC doesn't even give a gently caress. Reprints adjust prices downwards and since WOTC employees are barred from entering anything at Comp REL anyways, so there's not a lot of incentive for them to have huge collections anyways.

The buyout of cards like Blood Moon weren't some guy with a big bank account. That's SCG or TCGplayer buying all the copies to make the price higher, imo.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Yea Wizards' 'security' against that is that it's a really stupid way to risk your (presumably) decent job for a tiny profit.

MySwan
Jan 7, 2015

Chill la Chill posted:

But think of their kids' college fund! Those legion loyalists are gonna go from $1-5!

My foils went from 4 to 10, glad i got them when i did!

Yeah, that's a good point, the whole living wage vs making 2000$/yr playing cardbord carnegie

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

MySwan posted:

My foils went from 4 to 10, glad i got them when i did!

Yeah, that's a good point, the whole living wage vs making 2000$/yr playing cardbord carnegie

You would probably make a deal with a large vendor for info and better pay than doing it yourself. But I dunno if $5k, 20k/year or what would be incentive enough and if the info is valuable enough to SCG to pay that much. Though I guess it would be if the gross is in the millions.

MySwan
Jan 7, 2015

Chill la Chill posted:

You would probably make a deal with a large vendor for info and better pay than doing it yourself. But I dunno if $5k, 20k/year or what would be incentive enough and if the info is valuable enough to SCG to pay that much. Though I guess it would be if the gross is in the millions.

So in 2200 when magic is used to resolve conflicts between multi-nationals and you die in the game?

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

MySwan posted:

So in 2200 when magic is used to resolve conflicts between multi-nationals and you die in the game?

The United States of North America, New Soviet Republic, and East Asia have settled into an uneasy truce after each conglomerate comes into possession of their own Eldrazi titan

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm not even sure how SCG would leverage the information that, say, "Thoughtseize is being reprinted in Theros!" other than to take it off their buylists (which is likely a very small amount of being lost anyways). There really isn't a lot SCG can do with it without clearly making it known they're dealing unfairly with their customers.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

I think more than anything its 3 colors it taps for restrict it to very specific situations. Until return to alara it really just doesn't fit anywhere other than in supplementary products.

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

rabidsquid posted:

That's a really low payoff high risk long con to run.

But think of all the people that will think you are cool on MTGS, that goes a long way right? Can I monetize it?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I think the easiest way if you were a wotc employee would be around unbannings. Buy up all the bitterblossoms at $15, sell them for $80 when it's announced legal.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

I think the easiest way if you were a wotc employee would be around unbannings. Buy up all the bitterblossoms at $15, sell them for $80 when it's announced legal.

Exactly. Knowing what will be printed in the future is a lot less useful than being able to figure out what will suddenly see an spike in demand. All the crazy prices we are seeing aren't happening because of what's getting printed, but because old cards are seeing higher demand.

You can make some money if you predict what's going to be hot the next weekend, but I don't think insider knowledge is really going to help you do that. The most recent exceptions would be modern staples that were not being reprinted in MM2015, but I think the only big ones that were expected to be reprinted and didn't were probably serum visions, and blood moon. Others like Snapcaster Mage and Liliana, the public knew weren't going to be in the set already.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ShadeofBlue posted:

Exactly. Knowing what will be printed in the future is a lot less useful than being able to figure out what will suddenly see an spike in demand. All the crazy prices we are seeing aren't happening because of what's getting printed, but because old cards are seeing higher demand.

You can make some money if you predict what's going to be hot the next weekend, but I don't think insider knowledge is really going to help you do that. The most recent exceptions would be modern staples that were not being reprinted in MM2015, but I think the only big ones that were expected to be reprinted and didn't were probably serum visions, and blood moon. Others like Snapcaster Mage and Liliana, the public knew weren't going to be in the set already.

So knowing what is going to be reprinted isn't useful except when it is. How incredibly insightful :allears:

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Is there some kind of underground magic card speculator gladiatorial arena I don't know about or are people this invested in earning a sub minimum wage on trading Faerie Mechanists

People who collect weird poo poo, miscuts or foreign cards I am not talking about you

edit: I understand that for some people the appeal of magic is "look at how smart i am, much smarter than you" but maybe it's a much wider appeal than I thought because that's literally the only reason I can see for people obsessing over "specs."

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jun 28, 2015

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

rabidsquid posted:

Is there some kind of underground magic card speculator gladiatorial arena I don't know about or are people this invested in earning a sub minimum wage on trading Faerie Mechanists

People who collect weird poo poo, miscuts or foreign cards I am not talking about you

People always think they're going to be the one who has the brilliant system that will make them a Magic Millionaire.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I thought that was it but after the first time you realize how hard it is to move large quantities of a still largely unwanted rare while it retains its high price mark you'd think they'd realize the logistical issue they're running in to

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So I downloaded xmage, downloaded the card image database (which took forever), but card images do not show up.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

People always think they're going to be the one who has the brilliant system that will make them a Magic Millionaire.

Look man I didn't invest $600 in Legion Loyalists for no reason. I know what I'm doing.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
That's how it is in every collectible hobby ever. There will always be a blend of arrogance, stupidity, and a poor grasp of economics that makes a small group of people think anything that has any amount of artificial rarity to it can be flipped to turn a pile of poo poo rares into your new house money. These kinds of dudes always assume literally everyone else in their 'field' must just be stupid and they're actually very smart and cunning.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I sort of sympathize with people who don't pay much attention to anything I guess and are afraid of being priced out of stuff randomly but I am pretty sure they're losing money by death by a thousand bad specs than if they have to buy a crucial piece of a deck they really want to play at a higher price

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

rabidsquid posted:

I thought that was it but after the first time you realize how hard it is to move large quantities of a still largely unwanted rare while it retains its high price mark you'd think they'd realize the logistical issue they're running in to

Look man when I bought those 52 Genesis Waves a year and a half ago I knew what I was doing. They spiked the next day and I made $80 profit on them... over the next year.*

*True story

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

suicidesteve posted:

Look man I didn't invest $600 in Legion Loyalists for no reason. I know what I'm doing.

Oh yea, and a heavy flavoring of sunk cost, forgot that. A lot of these guys 'speculating' are in a position of 'well no I spent hundreds on these piles of crappy rares that I assumed would shoot in value, they HAVE to get expensive soon, otherwise I'm an idiot and THAT can't be the case!'

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Tatum Girlparts posted:

That's how it is in every collectible hobby ever. There will always be a blend of arrogance, stupidity, and a poor grasp of economics that makes a small group of people think anything that has any amount of artificial rarity to it can be flipped to turn a pile of poo poo rares into your new house money. These kinds of dudes always assume literally everyone else in their 'field' must just be stupid and they're actually very smart and cunning.

I just wish before anyone decided to go in on a spec they had to answer the question of "Who is going to want to buy this card if it does spike" and "Do you know that you aren't going to get retail prices"

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Oh yea, and a heavy flavoring of sunk cost, forgot that. A lot of these guys 'speculating' are in a position of 'well no I spent hundreds on these piles of crappy rares that I assumed would shoot in value, they HAVE to get expensive soon, otherwise I'm an idiot and THAT can't be the case!'

Secluded Glen is a few dollars higher than it used to be for this reason, I am pretty sure. I wish I had access to information that let me see how many are moving at 3x the cost that they used to be to see if there is any interest in a $3-5 land and whether anyone was buying them at $1 before. I want to know about all the pieces of U/B faeries actually, especially with how hard Bitterblossom spiked and then how quickly it leveled off (still at an inflated price, but that could be argued because its actually legal now. Which is why I want to know how many of them are moving at these new elevated prices)

rabidsquid fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jun 28, 2015

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

rabidsquid posted:

I just wish before anyone decided to go in on a spec they had to answer the question of "Who is going to want to buy this card if it does spike" and "Do you know that you aren't going to get retail prices"
Mail them all away for fat puca points.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, I got one of those mythical DISCARD cards in my draft pool this morning.

Good thing, too. I got a fresh pack (nothing lost since the rare was a Lodestone Golem) and got to keep the weirdo card. The fresh pack had Splinter Twin in it. :getin:

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

AlternateNu posted:

So, I got one of those mythical DISCARD cards in my draft pool this morning.

Good thing, too. I got a fresh pack (nothing lost since the rare was a Lodestone Golem) and got to keep the weirdo card. The fresh pack had Splinter Twin in it. :getin:

What's this bad boy worth?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Kurtofan posted:

What's this bad boy worth?

No idea. They seem to be going on eBay for between $10 and $30.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

gently caress RG Tron.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
How seriously do we think BFZ will not have enemy fetches now the painlands have been spoiked? Debating shifting my Marsh Flats. I mean, it seems like a big part of the reason they'd return to the setting.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Count Bleck posted:

gently caress RG Tron.

:agreed: U Tron is where it's at.

Henron
Feb 19, 2010

Arms held out
In your Jesus Christ pose
green decks in the standard finals, a shock

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

BizarroAzrael posted:

How seriously do we think BFZ will not have enemy fetches now the painlands have been spoiked? Debating shifting my Marsh Flats. I mean, it seems like a big part of the reason they'd return to the setting.

Why does everyone think BFZ will just be a bunch of Zendikar reprints? Allied fetches in the last block make it much less likely they'll reprint enemy fetches in the very next block; if the Eldrazi titans do show up, there's no way in hell they won't print new versions; and people are talking about crazy things like Goblin Guide being reprinted. Sorry, but that's unlikely to happen.

BFZ isn't going to be "Zendikar block's greatest hits", it's not going to be a bunch of reprints, it's going to be its own thing with different mechanics.

ETA: This is different from the "they aren't going to reprint the ally fetches in KTK" situation because reprinting those had a huge effect: they made them legal in Modern. Enemy fetches are already legal, and there's still a sizable number of them.

Also, the two-set block paradigm, combined with their insistence on providing balanced fixing for ally and enemy pairs and Hasbro's mandate to print rare dual lands in every block, is going to result in a glut of new dual land designs. Hell, I remember people talking when THS was spoiled that the scrylands were terrible, and now there are people saying they'll miss them when they rotate.

So appreciate the dual lands you get, and they'll appreciate on you.

Zemyla fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 28, 2015

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Enemy fetches are 50+ bucks and in high enough demand that no supplementary product could meet demand. Don't be willfully dense.

E: you're right about goblin guide probably though?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Actually my dude on the inside has confirmed an Obsidian Fireheart reprint so move in on your specs boyos BFZ is bringing the reprints

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Zemyla posted:

Why does everyone think BFZ will just be a bunch of Zendikar reprints? Allied fetches in the last block make it much less likely they'll reprint enemy fetches in the very next block; if the Eldrazi titans do show up, there's no way in hell they won't print new versions; and people are talking about crazy things like Goblin Guide being reprinted. Sorry, but that's unlikely to happen.

BFZ isn't going to be "Zendikar block's greatest hits", it's not going to be a bunch of reprints, it's going to be its own thing with different mechanics.

ETA: This is different from the "they aren't going to reprint the ally fetches in KTK" situation because reprinting those had a huge effect: they made them legal in Modern. Enemy fetches are already legal, and there's still a sizable number of them.

Also, the two-set block paradigm, combined with their insistence on providing balanced fixing for ally and enemy pairs and Hasbro's mandate to print rare dual lands in every block, is going to result in a glut of new dual land designs. Hell, I remember people talking when THS was spoiled that the scrylands were terrible, and now there are people saying they'll miss them when they rotate.

So appreciate the dual lands you get, and they'll appreciate on you.

Like that time they returned to Ravnica and didn't reprint the shocklands.

People expecting Goblin Guide are being overly optimistic, but if they don't print the fetchlands then a lot of people are going to be real, real mad.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't see what the enemy pains are meant to prove. Enemy pains + a full set of fetches is worse mana fixing than what we have now, and with a shard set in standard we're likely to have more enemy fixing than allied.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I'm still mad that Origins has the painlands again over a reprint of enemy checklands or finally making enemy fastlands.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The real land everyone is waiting on is the storage land reprint where is my affordable calciform pools wizards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...
'Dat foil goyf paying dividends. Maynard wins GP Buenos Aires. Wonder where he got the cash to fly to South America?

• Locked thread