Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unrealistic Idea
Jun 19, 2015

Jack Gladney posted:

How do those things change analysis of the specific evidence in a particular video?

First 3:11 minutes of the first video of the series. It basically destroys her non existent argument.

Her feminist analysis stated that damsel in distress trope basically destroyed this particular optional female character lead role.

Turns out there was a male character also Sabre, so Krystal was an optional character to being with.

http://starfox.wikia.com/wiki/Dinosaur_Planet_(game) -- "The two main characters would have been Sabre (replaced by Fox), who was the son of a wizard named Randorn, and Krystal, who was Randorn's adopted daughter (and thus Sabre's adopted sister)."

The falseness with this panes out later if she had known anything about game series she was talking about. That's with Star Fox: Assault. Krystal is now part of the cast diversifying the brand and accessible in multiplayer.

http://starfox.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Fox:_Assault --"The Star Fox Team, consisting of Fox McCloud, Slippy Toad, Falco Lombardi, Krystal, and Peppy Hare (who has retired from piloting), quickly fly in to assist the Cornerian Army in battle against Oikonny's armada above the planet Fortuna."

Essentially she fit a false analysis on corporate agenda while also leaving out important facts about the game she was talking about of fate of the characters.

I mean.. What about Sabre?!?! That poor knock off bastard never got into a game much less became part of a mainline franchise as a character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Unrealistic Idea posted:

First 3:11 minutes of the first video of the series. It basically destroys her non existent argument.

Her feminist analysis stated that damsel in distress trope basically destroyed this particular optional female character lead role.

Turns out there was a male character also Sabre, so Krystal was an optional character to being with.

http://starfox.wikia.com/wiki/Dinosaur_Planet_(game) -- "The two main characters would have been Sabre (replaced by Fox), who was the son of a wizard named Randorn, and Krystal, who was Randorn's adopted daughter (and thus Sabre's adopted sister)."

The falseness with this panes out later if she had known anything about game series she was talking about. That's with Star Fox: Assault. Krystal is now part of the cast diversifying the brand and accessible in multiplayer.

http://starfox.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Fox:_Assault --"The Star Fox Team, consisting of Fox McCloud, Slippy Toad, Falco Lombardi, Krystal, and Peppy Hare (who has retired from piloting), quickly fly in to assist the Cornerian Army in battle against Oikonny's armada above the planet Fortuna."

Essentially see fit a false analysis on corporate agenda while also leaving out important facts about the game she was talking about of fate of the characters.

I mean.. What about Sabre?!?! That poor knock off bastard never got into a game much less became part of a mainline franchise as a character.

Feminist Frequency has the wrong kind of RAM.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Literally The Worst posted:

Ah yes the life of a sex slave used solely for breeding, what luxury

I'm just saying, they're better off than everyone else. What about those ladies who just get milked? Also, what was the point of the ladies who were getting milked?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Do people really care this much about a Star Fox game?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Unrealistic Idea posted:

So, you missed the part where she talked about Krystal and failed to mention that Krystal was literally upgraded as a character from a knock off fury fox game to the main line brand fury fox brand and later became part of team fox and was a playable character in Star Fox: Assault, or do you know anything about gaming at all?

:wow: This is really something

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Unrealistic Idea posted:

Essentially she fit a false analysis on corporate agenda while also leaving out important facts about the game she was talking about of fate of the characters.

It is dawning on me that I am in fact not a "gamer".

circ dick soleil posted:

Now consider the backlash it got from MRAs.
In that sense, it's much like Western Democracy: everybody hates it, the left for not being leftist enough, the right for being too leftist.

And if you look at it with blue/orange color correction, the US is kind of Europe as directed by Michael Bay, too.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
100% odds of this conversation terminating in starfox yaoi. Not 99%; 100.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cingulate posted:

It is dawning on me that I am in fact not a "gamer".

You would have to be dead to be a gamer.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Maxwell Adams posted:

I'm just saying, they're better off than everyone else. What about those ladies who just get milked? Also, what was the point of the ladies who were getting milked?

It was for Immortan Joe's son, the warlord guy with the rubber thing on his face, to show that he's a big baby.

Also consider that in the real world people drink cow's milk and eat chicken eggs, and in the world of Mad Max there are no cows or chickens.

Cingulate posted:

In that sense, it's much like Western Democracy: everybody hates it, the left for not being leftist enough, the right for being too leftist.

And if you look at it with blue/orange color correction, the US is kind of Europe as directed by Michael Bay, too.

I haven't seen any feminists bashing Fury Road, only MRAs/GamerGate.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 28, 2015

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What if the Furiosa spinoff is directed not by George Miller but a female director. Would people lose their minds?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

circ dick soleil posted:

It was for Immortan Joe's son, the warlord guy with the rubber thing on his face, to show that he's a big baby.

That's true though, I haven't either. Sorry, I'm confused.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Unfunny Poster posted:

What if the Furiosa spinoff is directed not by George Miller but a female director. Would people lose their minds?
Lana Wachowski?

E: in case this is misunderstood as a joke on Lana Wachowski: what I meant to say was, there is little the right hate more than women, but Lana Wachowski directing Mad Max 4.5 might just be it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Unrealistic Idea posted:

What do other video games have to do with the video game she's talking about? Everything she says seems accurate: there was a video game that was going to have a female lead, but the female lead got turned into a damsel in distress. What is not accurate about that?

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Unfunny Poster posted:

I don't think star fox fans care about the lore of star fox, it seem like the ideal star fox game for fans is just star fox 64 but with better graphics. and the only people who cares about Krystal are furries

Unrealistic Idea
Jun 19, 2015

Unfunny Poster posted:

No, it's just that Star Fox Assault was the last console game that I ever played, and my memory is loving sick.

I mean Anita doesn't have an argument with the Wii, Nintendo has targeted a vast range of individuals, so she's effectively not even relevant.

Turns out capitalism will find what makes money regardless.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Cingulate posted:

That's true though, I haven't either. Sorry, I'm confused.

It's not feminist or anti-feminist, but brain damaged idiots will continue to see whatever they want to see according to their checklist view of the world.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jack Gladney posted:

What do other video games have to do with the video game she's talking about? Everything she says seems accurate: there was a video game that was going to have a female lead, but the female lead got turned into a damsel in distress. What is not accurate about that?

She done hosed up starfox canon, like you might expect from some triflin' feminist.

In case the gravity hasn't sunk in. She hosed up starfox canon.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm trying to watch a Feminist Frequency video right now and it's basically the opposite of Mad Max. While Mad Max looks to me how 1990's MTV must have looked to my grandmother, Feminist Frequency is
1. a somewhat bored sounding, but otherwise completely sane and normal woman
2. talking about incredibly obvious and somewhat unpleasant facts, like video games being sexist
3. with intersections of literally the worst hobby in the world: watching other people play video games on youtube

How can people watch this without falling asleep? How can anyone get angry at this?

Also,

Cyron posted:

I don't think star fox fans care about the lore of star fox

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

circ dick soleil posted:

It's not feminist or anti-feminist
Just to make this clear to seemingly intelligent, but confused people like Bravest of Lamps: this is what I have been saying all along.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

circ dick soleil posted:

Now consider the backlash it got from MRAs.

The MRA backlash over Fury Road is about as real as the outrage over the black stormtrooper, ie nonexistent

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

circ dick soleil posted:

anita didnt like it because it was violent, and same for josh, but they get triggered easy as poo poo by that stuff so they dont count. i mean they didnt like the violence in avengers 2, but other then them. no one else expect for some mra/pua fucktards.

Dapper Dan posted:

To be honest, I never got the criticism that she wasn't a gamer. What does it matter? People analyze things outside of their areas of interest all the time. When I was doing psych research, I stumbled over a paper that did a critique of slasher films as morality plays. The virgin always lived and the promiscuous and those that used drugs were killed (it was done in the late '80s/early '90s. I wish I saved a copy). It was an interesting read, but they most certainly were not fans of the genre.

Critique her on her analytical methods/theories/conclusions/etc., not something as irrelevant as that. And GamerGate used that video as some sort of magic smoking gun. It was idiotic.

Yeah the video is dumb and shouldnt be used as arguments against her. I think her and josh anti-violence spieling and weird patenalistic mother hen stuff hurts their image more then GG ever could.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
you can tell the people who don't play games on this page by thinking people care about star fox lore.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

circ dick soleil posted:

ive seen a few articles written that attack the movie for being "crypto-misogynistic". however these reviews seem to focus on drastic misreadings of scenes and character interactions, to the tune of "furiosa gets ordered around by max because he manages to convince her not to drive off into the salt-flats", or "furiosa gets damseled at the end".

what this tells me is that its entirely possible to be both feminist and completely thematically illiterate.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

paranoid randroid posted:

ive seen a few articles written that attack the movie for being "crypto-misogynistic". however these reviews seem to focus on drastic misreadings of scenes and character interactions, to the tune of "furiosa gets ordered around by max because he manages to convince her not to drive off into the salt-flats", or "furiosa gets damseled at the end".

what this tells me is that its entirely possible to be both feminist and completely thematically illiterate.
I don't doubt the movie was intended to appease to liberal feminism, that seems entirely clear.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Broniki posted:

The MRA backlash over Fury Road is about as real as the outrage over the black stormtrooper, ie nonexistent

The overwhelming consensus on the 8chan GamerGate boards is that feminism ruined Mad Max and we must boycott this filth. There were a couple of Mad Max threads going strong for a few weeks after the movie came out. 8chan is still the biggest GG hub outside of Twitter.

Hell I'm even still getting YouTube recommendations for videos like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo65lruWw1A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydKDJ3zwcBo

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 28, 2015

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah the video is dumb and shouldnt be used as arguments against her. I think her and josh anti-violence spieling and weird patenalistic mother hen stuff hurts their image more then GG ever could.

But does it really? People keep saying that this stuff is hurting Anita's image yet people are still wanting to see her and listen to what she has to say. I think most people don't give a poo poo about her anti-violence stuff because they see it as more of a suggestion and not a demand.

I mean, pointing out that a lot of games shown at E3 are violent isn't that damaging. I think a lot of people prescribe more power to their words than they really have.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Aside from being a feminist movie, Fury Road can also be seen as a anti-authority movie: Joe is Head of State, Bullet Farmer is the Justice System and People Eater is Big Banks.

Also nobody seems to notice a bit in Fury Road: The women were going to cross The Salt, in what was heavily implied to result in death, until a man told them what they should be doing instead. Now I don't particularly give a gently caress about feminist ideas in my movies, but that kinda stands out.

But returning to Gamergate. It's sad that the Zoe Quinn stuff was the Franz Ferdinant situation for the whole movement. People've been unhappy for ages regarding games journalism(as insignificant as it may be) and I think that if something else would have kicked it off, the whole thing would have gone a little bit better than its currently doing. But that could also just be me being naive and thinking people are better than they actually are.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Maxwell Adams posted:

Literal slaves had it so great

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Archer666 posted:

Aside from being a feminist movie, Fury Road can also be seen as a anti-authority movie: Joe is Head of State, Bullet Farmer is the Justice System and People Eater is Big Banks.

Also nobody seems to notice a bit in Fury Road: The women were going to cross The Salt, in what was heavily implied to result in death, until a man told them what they should be doing instead. Now I don't particularly give a gently caress about feminist ideas in my movies, but that kinda stands out.

But returning to Gamergate. It's sad that the Zoe Quinn stuff was the Franz Ferdinant situation for the whole movement. People've been unhappy for ages regarding games journalism(as insignificant as it may be) and I think that if something else would have kicked it off, the whole thing would have gone a little bit better than its currently doing. But that could also just be me being naive and thinking people are better than they actually are.

It could be also seen as the 3 main parts of the GOP as well. Joe is the religious right, people eater is the wealthy corperate republicans and bullet farmer is the warhawks. and your probably GG poo poo. Its like an autistic internet version of ww1, it was gonna happen sometime.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Archer666 posted:

I wish something kicked off due to the GameStop Kane and Lynch drama. Now that is some horrible poo poo far worse then some indie dev sleeping with someone in term of journalistic integrity.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Archer666 posted:

max didnt tell them to do anything. he suggested an alternate course of action, when he could have cheerfully split the scene to go marinate in his ghosts like at the beginning of the film. the point is that he goes from being more of a feral dog than a human, to an actual person who looks out for others and holds an equal share in whatever hosed up relationship it is he has with furiosa.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

paranoid randroid posted:

max didnt tell them to do anything. he suggested an alternate course of action, when he could have cheerfully split the scene to go marinate in his ghosts like at the beginning of the film. the point is that he goes from being more of a feral dog than a human, to an actual person who looks out for others and holds an equal share in whatever hosed up relationship it is he has with furiosa.

Yeah the actual conversation is along the lines of "If you go that way, you're going to die slowly for sure when you run out of water. Or you could turn it around and try to take over Joes fortress and maybe die but you died taking your future into your own hands all shiny and chrome instead of just running"

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Archer666 posted:

Well, I think that is more of an argument for equality of the sexes rather than anything that goes against feminism. There are things that Furiosa is better at than Max and vice versa.

As for the games journalism thing, I don't feel too bad. A lot of these companies have repeatedly lied to people and consumers keep eating that poo poo up. How else can you explain those people who bitch because a game they want to like got an 8.8 or a game they haven't played got a 7. It's as if some of these people don't really want to think critically or apply themselves, but rather they just want their own views confirmed.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

blackguy32 posted:

Well, I think that is more of an argument for equality of the sexes rather than anything that goes against feminism. There are things that Furiosa is better at than Max and vice versa.

As for the games journalism thing, I don't feel too bad. A lot of these companies have repeatedly lied to people and consumers keep eating that poo poo up. How else can you explain those people who bitch because a game they want to like got an 8.8 or a game they haven't played got a 7. It's as if some of these people don't really want to think critically or apply themselves, but rather they just want their own views confirmed.

it's pretty mush what gaming reviews are for a long time, it's less about how the game play and more about Waving your E-dick on that your console of choice is the best.

but gamergate is not about gaming journalism. it more of a cover to harass woman.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

Unrealistic Idea posted:

So, you missed the part where she talked about Krystal and failed to mention that Krystal was literally upgraded as a character from a knock off fury fox game to the main line brand fury fox brand and later became part of team fox and was a playable character in Star Fox: Assault, or do you know anything about gaming at all?

Man I used to be as nuts for star fox as you are now. Let's see what useless garbage video game trivia I remember from my teenage years.

In Dinosaur Planet, Krystal was going to be a viewpoint character that the player would play as for 50% of the game's length , with the dude main character making up the rest of the game. Kind of in the same way that you played different characters in Jet Force Gemini, iirc. However, DP was never made, instead being turned into a Star Fox game (Star Fox Adventures). Krystal was still playable, but only for about 2% of the whole game. Also instead of wearing kind of normal clothes like the concept art and alpha screenshots from DP suggested, she was upgraded to wearing a loincloth and a bra. Not to say that loincloths and bras aren't neat, but she was also upgraded from a character with a real impact on the plot, to a girl literally frozen into a floating crystal for 98% of the game. So it is not a very big stretch to claim that, insofar as blue cartoon foxes can be sexualized and/or objectified, Krystal got the short end of the stick in the change from DP to Adventures and was, arguably, more objectified than she would have been in DP. Before the end credits and after the man beats the final boss, she turns up on the ship while sexy saxophone music plays and is now the main character's girlfriend because he stole her magic stick and saved the world with it.

In Star Fox Assault she's the team's pet telepath, which is a step up from the loincloth girl, I guess.

I have now proven to D&D that I am mentally ill.

Unrealistic Idea
Jun 19, 2015

Jack Gladney posted:

What you said is somewhat vague and over simplified.

She stated that the Damsel in Distress trope basically lead to disempowering Krystal as a lead character and stealing her game.

What is not accurate is the false analysis that she placed on it.

That isn't an objective analysis when you step back out of the game and see what was happening in the gaming market and how historically Nintendo behaved when the chips were down.

Once again, Krystal was an optional Female lead character to a knock off version of Star Fox named Sabre in an R64 game when Nintendo didn't have launch titles for the Game Cube worth a drat.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Cyron posted:

it's pretty mush what gaming reviews are for a long time, it's less about how the game play and more about Waving your E-dick on that your console of choice is the best.

But sometimes I don't think that is true. I mean I really enjoyed the Gamespot review on Arkham Knight and I thought that the 8.8 review of Twilight Princess was well written. I usually go to Eurogamer for a lot of my reviews as well because they are pretty critical. But the reaction to being critical about AAA titles is usually, "The reviewer doesn't know how to play!" or some poo poo like that.

I enjoyed Alien:Isolation, but I think that 78-80 on Metacritic is well deserved because there are a lot of weird things that go on with the AI and I think that for a stealth game, the options are pretty limited and some are even counter-intuitive. But people simply work themselves up because we are all meant to buy the next best thing.

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
you care too mush about star fox. I mean I was trying to unlock hard mode in star fox 64, but it was pissing me off and I just went outside

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

blackguy32 posted:

I enjoyed Alien:Isolation, but I think that 78-80 on Metacritic is well deserved because there are a lot of weird things that go on with the AI and I think that for a stealth game, the options are pretty limited and some are even counter-intuitive. But people simply work themselves up because we are all meant to buy the next best thing.

The one A:I review that seemed dumb was the one by IGN, whose entire gripe rounded down to "the levels were too long and I died a lot," which only told me that he needed to lower the difficulty and stop hiding in lockers :shrug:

Some reviewers are really bad at certain games. They could probably have specialist reviews and layman reviews.

quote:

I have now proven to D&D that I am mentally ill.

That was proven the moment we hit "reply."

InsanityIsCrazy fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jun 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Unrealistic Idea posted:

What you said is somewhat vague and over simplified.

She stated that the Damsel in Distress trope basically lead to disempowering Krystal as a lead character and stealing her game.

What is not accurate is the false analysis that she placed on it.

That isn't an objective analysis when you step back out of the game and see what was happening in the gaming market and how historically Nintendo behaved when the chips were down.

Once again, Krystal was an optional Female lead character to a knock off version of Star Fox named Sabre in an R64 game when Nintendo didn't have launch titles for the Game Cube worth a drat.

You're wrong. She was roughly 50% of the game, and it was a Zelda ripoff not a star fox ripoff.

• Locked thread