Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's pretty amazing that Redigit is just giving all this content away. Would anyone balk at paying :20bux: for all these changes/additions as a DLC?

I mean I wouldn't be happy about paying twice the cost of the full game for an update but I'd probably do it. I'd accept these as like $5 expansions though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Eric the Mauve posted:

It's pretty amazing that Redigit is just giving all this content away. Would anyone balk at paying :20bux: for all these changes/additions as a DLC?

People probably would balk at it. Indie PC games have generally gotten into the habit of giving players new content for free, so them charging for new content would be uncharacteristic for this type of game.

I'd be all for it, but I think there'd be a lot of people pissed if they did.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
At the least he could easily jack the price of the full game up, probably as high as $30 (poo poo, Minecraft's still $30) while giving away all this extra content to those of us who already own the game.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Eric the Mauve posted:

I already have the game so I might pay that, but in general if I see a game that has DLC that's more expensive than it's purchase price I avoid it like the plague. Tons of expensive DLC for a game turns me right off, I want the whole game for a reasonable price, or nothing at all .

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I got terraria for $3 so i'm not sure money is a thing they care about

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
If you really want to support terraria more just buy the base game and gift it to people. I've bought at least 6 or 7 copies myself.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.

Eric the Mauve posted:

yes

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you're mental if you think someone would want to pay 20 dollars for a content patch for a game that came out forever ago

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Charging money here wouldn't work both because it would split the community, and because these patches typically nerf the poo poo out of whatever the most effective equipment/strategy currently is instead of just adding in higher-level monsters and loot. Nerds won't pay to have their shiny nonexistent treasures devalued like that.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Good points, I was wrong, assertion retracted.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The game was kind of sparse when it came out, to the point where I'm pretty sure that if the Early Access system had existed at the time it would have been an EA title and not a real one, but between the big free content updates and the really good sale prices they more than made up for it. I wouldn't say that they really went above and beyond the call of duty until 1.2 came out of nowhere and really drove home how lacking Starbound was, and then this upcoming patch just takes it to a whole other level.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Clark Nova posted:

Charging money here wouldn't work both because it would split the community, and because these patches typically nerf the poo poo out of whatever the most effective equipment/strategy currently is instead of just adding in higher-level monsters and loot. Nerds won't pay to have their shiny nonexistent treasures devalued like that.

I think people are surprised just because in this day and age this large of a content update for a non-early-access/"beta" game being free is pretty dang rare.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Eric the Mauve posted:

Good points, I was wrong, assertion retracted.

I'd pay for it, if it was labelled an expansion and priced at like, £3/5.

But the funny thing is, this way? I end up buying one or two more copies every time theres a big content update and passing them around like so many other goons! So i do pretty much pay for an expansion anyway! :haw:

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Equal parts talent and luck, frankly. Talent because the game was pretty well put together, even at the beginning. Every game has its faults but it was far from a pile of trash. Lucky since for whatever reason the pricing, timing, marketing etc. all worked out for it. They sold a shitload of copies.

It's a lot easier to be the cool dev and put out great stuff like this when you have a small team who is pretty competent and gets it and is sitting on a pile of cash.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Terraria achievements are up on Steam. Looks like they're mostly just standard progression stuff. Don't look at the stuff lower on the list if you don't want spoilers.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I don't think I have any old saves kicking around anymore. Would it be beneficial to start up a new game just to build a pre-hardmode base and get a lot of the early game out of the way? Or did they add to the early game as well?

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

Saxophone posted:

I don't think I have any old saves kicking around anymore. Would it be beneficial to start up a new game just to build a pre-hardmode base and get a lot of the early game out of the way? Or did they add to the early game as well?

Expert mode adds extra poo poo, so I'm holding off until then so I can just do an expert run period. Here's to hoping it's roughly dark souls quality hardness.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Saxophone posted:

There's going to be new world gen stuff.

benzine
Oct 21, 2010

Saxophone posted:

They'll add new biomes and new items for 1.3 so you'll need to generate a new world anyway.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Lots of buffs, better drop rates and quality of life improvements. Looks like a great update.

Any news on better mining tools ? Multiple blocks mining is one of the few things I like in Starbound that I think Terraria should copy.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
smart cursor mining is actually a little bit better IMO.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

FraudulentEconomics posted:

Expert mode adds extra poo poo, so I'm holding off until then so I can just do an expert run period. Here's to hoping it's roughly dark souls quality hardness.

It does? I thought it just made bosses more aggressive and monsters might spawn in your homebase.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

It does? I thought it just made bosses more aggressive and monsters might spawn in your homebase.

You get new loot! I think maybe only from bosses though?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Man, two days cannot go by fast enough.

fuepi
Feb 6, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

ZZZorcerer posted:

Any news on better mining tools ? Multiple blocks mining is one of the few things I like in Starbound that I think Terraria should copy.

http://fat.gfycat.com/ColorlessMarriedHarrierhawk.mp4

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros

RareAcumen posted:

It does. From the patch notes linked a few pages ago:
"Bosses will drop Treasure Bags containing powerful expert exclusive items to reward those up to the challenge."

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Holy poo poo

FraudulentEconomics
Oct 14, 2007

Pst...

:stare: :flashfap:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Please someone make a Dr Robotnik mod for that little UFO thing, so we cruise around in his egg mobile deal. And whenever the lasers are fired, the Sonic 2 boss music plays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzXwutv0yy8

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
What I need with that is a little mobile chest that follows me so everything I strip mine just goes straight into a box. Or maybe saddlebags for my mounts.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

:stare:

2 more days

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Wait, is that actually in game and not a mod? Holy crap

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Zaa Boogie posted:

Wait, is that actually in game and not a mod? Holy crap

I have a feeling it's going to be very hard to get, or at least so far back in the content to as not be as useful as people would like.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

graynull posted:

I have a feeling it's going to be very hard to get, or at least so far back in the content to as not be as useful as people would like.

That's what they make editors for.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Eric the Mauve posted:

At the least he could easily jack the price of the full game up, probably as high as $30 (poo poo, Minecraft's still $30) while giving away all this extra content to those of us who already own the game.

Wait what? Minecraft is $30? US? How the gently caress?

Also,

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Are there any specific details on how the new multiplayer connectivity is gonna work? Do we still need to download a new server program once this drops?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Overlord K posted:

Are there any specific details on how the new multiplayer connectivity is gonna work? Do we still need to download a new server program once this drops?

Steam Integration is GO

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Supremezero posted:

Steam Integration is GO

does that mean you wont be able to play multiplayer in steam offline mode anymore?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I'm thinking of buying some extra copies because holy crap Redigit deserves some more of my money by this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

graynull posted:

By the look of it it's probably going to be tied to whatever that endgame alien event is, so probably post Frost Moon at the earliest. So yeah basically at the point of the game where digging is No Longer A Thing.

• Locked thread