Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Anita Dickinme posted:

What's really important is why there isn't a Monster Brew Crew gang tag yet. :mad:

Because if the game comes out and its actually bad, then it will look embarrassing. Like Duke's bros

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You're missing the point of Monster Brew.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
how the gently caress is the monster brew connected with fallout

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Here you go.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Oh, right, let's judge this game on pure PR talk, aka vaporous non-talk.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

steinrokkan posted:

Chill.
They showed what, 30 minutes of gameplay at E3? While that's not exactly completely telling of what the game will be like, we are not clueless about it at the same time.
e: okay it's not 30 minutes of straight gameplay.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

sout posted:

Chill.
They showed what, 30 minutes of gameplay at E3? While that's not exactly completely telling of what the game will be like, we are not clueless about it at the same time.
e: okay it's not 30 minutes of straight gameplay.

They showed some minutes of carefully selected gameplay, an undetermined portion of which was a mock up.

Based on that people made sweeping conclusions such as "there will be no skills" even though there are also screenshots that show no perks menu where other shots show it to be present, and also knowing that Skyrim has already pioneered the idea of merging skills and perks into a single menu. There's literally no way to judge the game, because there is effectively an infinite number of divergent systems that could be plausibly deployed based on what we've seen.

Surprisingly I remember no post complaining about the one thing that seems demonstrably true - that the facial animation system is just abysmal, and the VaulTec representative looks worse than a loving muppet when he speaks.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I will react when this game comes out.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

pmchem posted:

Why is anyone surprised at the Bethesda UI being terrible? I haven't played a non-modded Bethsoft UI since ... Morrowind, maybe? DarnUI / SkyUI / pickyourUInamehere were essentials for playing on PC. Their QA team must hate their lives.

I'm saying this is a definite step back from the Fallout 3 UI. It's so minimal and plain and... it just looks like something from an indie shooter.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Hihohe posted:

I will react when this game comes out.

*throngs of reporters crowding around me, pushing microphones into my face to know my opinion of Fallout 4*

No comment.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

It looks like the kind of UI you might see on real-world military equipment, completely utilitarian with no attention paid to aesthetics whatsoever, which is a bit off-putting in most video games that aren't Arma or super hardcore flight sims. The funny part is that the altered HUD that comes with power armour actually does look pretty videogamey by comparison, so they got it backwards.

I'm sure the finished product will at least have F3/NV's colour options and maybe transparency settings buried in an options menu somewhere, but it'll still be pretty damned plain looking. I tend to lean towards minimalism whenever possible but this feels more like a placeholder from an alpha build. No doubt it'll be among the first things to get modded after boobs on the mole rats.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Another theory for the plot from the beginning. What if you are in the vault for the majority of the game. The player character is a droid controlled by your conscious, you are in a cyro-state in the vault until the very end. The premise being every time the droid has died over the past 200 years you get a restart / new droid to do whatever mission the institute or brotherhood or some other third party has planned for you or something. This is the very last droid and at the end of game the droid dies and you leave the vault and win the game or whatever.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

texaholic posted:

Another theory for the plot from the beginning. What if you are in the vault for the majority of the game. The player character is a droid controlled by your conscious, you are in a cyro-state in the vault until the very end. The premise being every time the droid has died over the past 200 years you get a restart / new droid to do whatever mission the institute or brotherhood or some other third party has planned for you or something. This is the very last droid and at the end of game the droid dies and you leave the vault and win the game or whatever.

In the end it's revealed your surname is House.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Actually based on my frame by frame analysis of the E3 footage I

:goonsay:

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Man Whore posted:

Because if the game comes out and its actually bad, then it will look embarrassing. Like Duke's bros

Uh what are you talking about, Duke's bros doesn't exist, there is only Serious Sam's Club.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Phlegmish posted:

*throngs of reporters crowding around me, pushing microphones into my face to know my opinion of Fallout 4*

No comment.

Fallout 4... is the best thing ever''''''

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

(lol at the morons buying an embarrassing plastic toy at a 10000% mark up)

Please don't shame my dragon dildo purchases thank you god bless.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

steinrokkan posted:

I know it will be a thing that will exist in some form, and that it won't be worth the base price because no game is worth that (lol at the morons buying an embarrassing plastic toy at a 10000% mark up)

I mean I guess if you're really poor $120 is a lot of money.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

big mean giraffe posted:

I mean I guess if you're really poor $120 is a lot of money.

I guess buying a plastic molded toy from Indonesian slaves makes you feel wealthy. You are an exemplary shithead.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It smells better with the suffering on it yes.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Ahem, some of us prefer to spend our entertainment money on booze. You can get a hell of a lotta good booze for $120, therefor, it seems overpriced.

steinrokkan posted:

Surprisingly I remember no post complaining about the one thing that seems demonstrably true - that the facial animation system is just abysmal, and the VaulTec representative looks worse than a loving muppet when he speaks.

I don't blame you for skipping over the post e3 clusterfuck, but like 20 people already said this. Oh, and the footage of Garvey the minuteman was actually much worse.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

It smells better with the suffering on it yes.

I hope the game will be a piece of poo poo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well that's not very nice.

I hope it will be fun so I can play it and have fun.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

Well that's not very nice.

I hope it will be fun so I can play it and have fun.

I hope you choke on poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Again please stop shaming my fetishes.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If babies and chimps are anything to go by, poo poo is the best toy ever made.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Lotish posted:

If babies and chimps are anything to go by, poo poo is the best toy ever made.

Well, guess that explains the Bethesda Softworks Forums, then.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

I hope you choke on poo poo.

I hope that you cheer up and stop being such an rear end in a top hat.

Anita Dickinme posted:

What's really important is why there isn't a Monster Brew Crew gang tag yet. :mad:

There are too few Monster Brewers.

steinrokkan posted:

I am used to hyperbole about how bad the Gamebryo fish faces, but you take back the implied insult at the Muppets!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It was the best of games, it was the worst of games, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Fallout, it was the season of Bullshit, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all buying the collector's edition, we were all going direct to piracy.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

SunAndSpring posted:

God I hate official game forums.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Jack B Nimble posted:

I wouldn't worry about the game looking like a fallout 3 retread - they'd show their most similar elements in the early trailers rather than blowing their load early.

speaking of blowing their load early, which Big Name Actor did bethesda blow 90% of their voice budget on for five minutes of phoned-in dialogue in the first hour of gameplay?

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

Back Hack posted:

God I hate official game forums.

I hate good games just like you. We should be friends buddy.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

I guess buying a plastic molded toy from Indonesian slaves makes you feel wealthy. You are an exemplary shithead.

dang bro you sure told him

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I agree with some of those posts, but when bethesda does their big reveal and setting what I'm assuming is a hard release date five months from now, you are not getting an overhauled dialog system. What you see is what you're going to loving get. Even that UI is possibly final, even though it's kind of ugly and minimalist in a bad way. They don't seem to get that. Bethesda does whatever the gently caress they want. At best you can hope they take any revolt against voiced protagonists going forward for ES6 and Fallout 5 because it's not changing for Fallout 4 or any spinoffs they've licensed. (there won't be a revolt and the average consumer will be fine with, if not outright prefer the new method to a box of silent dialogue choices).

I feel bad that I basically agree with everything these weird obsessive and generally ungrateful fanatics are talking about, I just dont care enough that I can't let go. I don't care enough to curse Todd Howard's name while praying to the Altar Of Brian Fargo. This is what we're getting. From now until november the only productive discussion is about poo poo like how they're clearly trying to make it seem like you're totally an android based on the context of everything we've seen. I want to take bets on how far into the game you'll get before you get a line of dialogue as truly awful as the Three Dawg [Intelligence] check. I want to speculate on hilarious bugs, like I hope they release with super mutants being able to smash you into space like skyrim giants. It's not useful to speculate about what could have been because a game with a release date of five months from now isn't going to loving change except for some QA and maybe some interface work. I wish people would understand, and accept that.

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

hemophilia posted:

I agree with some of those posts, but when bethesda does their big reveal and setting what I'm assuming is a hard release date five months from now, you are not getting an overhauled dialog system. What you see is what you're going to loving get. Even that UI is possibly final, even though it's kind of ugly and minimalist in a bad way. They don't seem to get that. Bethesda does whatever the gently caress they want. At best you can hope they take any revolt against voiced protagonists going forward for ES6 and Fallout 5 because it's not changing for Fallout 4 or any spinoffs they've licensed. (there won't be a revolt and the average consumer will be fine with, if not outright prefer the new method to a box of silent dialogue choices).

pretty much this. this ain't quite 'this game in beta is poo poo but it's only beta it could still be good despite being feature complete and basically done!!!!!!!!!!!' level but it's pretty close.

the only real way to gauge the quality of a game really is to play it, or failing that looking at footage is a decent subsitute. the developer (oftentimes), the pr spiel, the prerendered trailer made by a CG animation studio half a world away from the actual game, it's all fluff.like I saw footage of RAGE and thought it looked like an OK shootmans game with some ropey looking vehicle sections tacked on, which it was. with my managed expectations I bought the game when it was cheaper and had a bit of fun with it, whereas so many people bought it at full price believing that iD would REMAKE THE GENRE LIKE THEY DID BEFORE HOLY poo poo then vilifying it when it turned out to be just a kind of ropey fps.

point is, don't buy into the hype and manage your expectations. to me, the game looks pretty good; a solid iterative improvement over the last game with some cool new additions and questionable creative choices. I don't expect it to be revolutionary since it's an established sereies and gaming as a medium (AAA gaming in particular) is deeply, deeply conservative. It'll probably be a solid 7-8/10 and I'll have fun with it, though if skyrim is anything to go by play it a bit too much and feel a bit unfulfilled.

e: I do hope they change the colour and texture of the interface though; eminently feasible and it does look a bit ugly at the moment. If they don't i guess I'll just make a mod myself that makes the text less gaudy.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

SunAndSpring posted:

I'm just going to assume they're being a bunch of idiot fanboys because the tiny text and light gray/gray/charcoal color scheme is too drat much for my poor eyes.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

It's even worse on the forum, because iirc you can change your font style and colour. There are far too many people who think writing in pink "handwritten" text will make them look like anything other than a complete idiot.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Duckbag posted:

I'm just going to assume they're being a bunch of idiot fanboys because the tiny text and light gray/gray/charcoal color scheme is too drat much for my poor eyes.

It's the same worthless drivel you can expect anywhere else from fanboys who feel they have to ride in like White Knights to defend a multi-million dollar corporation that spends more on PR in a year then you'll likely earn in a life time - assuming you aren't an android that is ageless.

As for the game, I like what I've seen so far and am looking forward to playing this. My first Bethesda game was Oblivion and I loved playing it at the time, I also enjoyed Fallout 3 immensely (even mostly without modding it) and still play and enjoy Skyrim on occasion. Barring any showstopping bugs or massive Batman: Arkham Knight level of gently caress-ups when this comes out I'll enjoy this too. I know all that we've seen so far is carefully choreographed PR work but I see no reason why I should believe some random rear end in a top hat on the internet who's seen exactly as much of this game as I have over the people making it. Maybe in the end they'll be right, maybe they won't. I'll just make up my own mind for now.

I also liked RAGE, and while I wish it had a less glitchy start and was a bit longer in the end (and also had a better ending), I don't seem to have the same level of bile spitting hatred towards id that everyone else does. A shame the remaining DLC and any sequels were shelved because I did like the setting.

Psychotic Weasel fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jun 29, 2015

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Wait, I am confused. I came here expecting everyone else to be talking about how, knowing that the Pip-Boy has some in-game functionality and is also being released in limited numbers, there are functionally only a few thousand people in the world who will actually be playing the full game. Or maybe they got that out of the way by page 90.

Anyway, just to get the conversation re-started, I have kind of started losing interest in even playing Fallout 4 knowing this. Though I suppose if the "in-game functionality" is indeed entirely in quotes for the final release too, then it will not be such a big deal. But like...sorry, if the collector's edition is the real edition, then why would I want the abridged version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

steinrokkan posted:

My facts go deeper than "pure PR talk". I've been a diehard gamer since my father forced an NES controller into my babe-hands and screamed, "level up!" Fact: You can profile all of these developers just like serial killers, and once you know how they tick, it's simply a matter of reading between the lines. When it comes down to it, you'd lose sleep if you discovered just how thin the line is that separates T. Howard from a person like Joseph Fritzl.

Fact: It's all gonna be a goddamned Monster Brew. Just you wait.

Will you drink it?

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 29, 2015

• Locked thread