Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Here4DaGangBang posted:

What's the verdict on Project CARS, folks? I recall initial mixed reactions, I think? Specifically interested in how it compares to AC physics and FF-wise I guess, because that's what I've been playing thus far.

Anything I should know before making a purchasing decision?

There's a major patch (2.0!) coming out in a few weeks supposedly. The game has a lot of issues but its fun if you can overlook stuff like setups and pit strategies not saving. If you're looking for something better than AC in terms of physics and FFB though you're not going to find it in P-Cars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

There's a lot of hyperbole that gets thrown around, but Project CARS is overall a good game. The physics feel a bit different from AC, but you can tweak them however you like and even get it somewhat close to AC. The biggest difference to me is when the traction breaks. For AC it feels like the traction breaks more readily and gives you more room to play with. Where as Project CARS will let you hold a tight racing line no issue and won't break traction unless you really throw it into a corner, at which point you're likely in for a bad time. Talking about physics with sims is kinda dumb though because it always ends up being subjective. Project CARS has a much more fully featured single player and multiplayer though, so it really comes down to what you want in a racing sim.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pcars is objectively better than AC in every way

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
AC drives better for me and the FFB setup is a real hassle in pCars, but pCars obviously is a way more fully featured game. Still, I find myself spending more time just hotlapping the Nordschleife in AC then firing up pCars. That might change if the next patch improves AI and the actual racing gets better.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 28, 2015

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!
Thanks dudes, I have friends with Pcars so that's a factor as the multiplayer in AC is loving atrocious. I might wait a while though and buy after the big patch, seeing as I've missed the Steam sale.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Thanks dudes, I have friends with Pcars so that's a factor as the multiplayer in AC is loving atrocious. I might wait a while though and buy after the big patch, seeing as I've missed the Steam sale.

The having friends and multiplayer is where the selling point lies. For all of its physics and ffb warts, right clicking on a dude on steam and joining up is worth it considering the PhD degree you need to not only launch multiplayer, but to change settings once your team is together.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

GhostDog posted:

AC drives better for me and the FFB setup is a real hassle in pCars, but pCars obviously is a way more fully featured game. Still, I find myself spending more time just hotlapping the Nordschleife in AC then firing up pCars. That might change if the next patch improves AI and the actual racing gets better.

it's controller issues for me too. no matter what I do with settings, ac feels better, and forza feels about 10x better than both which is why i'm still playing more of that. i could still drive and deal with the controller feeling worse, but the fact that FFB seems like it will never even have basic functionality on xbox controllers, or even be mentioned by the developers as broken has really turned me off

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Here4DaGangBang posted:

What's the verdict on Project CARS, folks? I recall initial mixed reactions, I think? Specifically interested in how it compares to AC physics and FF-wise I guess, because that's what I've been playing thus far.

Anything I should know before making a purchasing decision?

FFB in pCars feels exactly like AC, if not better, after you manually set every cars FFB "Fy" setting to zero.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If you're playing a racing sim on PC, you should probably look into getting a wheel. PC sims aren't really meant to be used with a controller. Sure there are weirdos out there who do races in iRacing with a keyboard, but you really need some sort of wheel. Pcars most likely has controller support to appease controller users and to get it onto consoles. It needs a wheel.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

If you're playing a racing sim on PC, you should probably look into getting a wheel. PC sims aren't really meant to be used with a controller. Sure there are weirdos out there who do races in iRacing with a keyboard, but you really need some sort of wheel. Pcars most likely has controller support to appease controller users and to get it onto consoles. It needs a wheel.

that's all well and good but I'm talking about game breaking bugs that activate when then FFB is turned on, that's perfectly fixable

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Is there a way to make AC stop detecting my Xbox controller? I really don't want to have to unplug it every time.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Polidoro posted:

Is there a way to make AC stop detecting my Xbox controller? I really don't want to have to unplug it every time.

So long as you have a different controller profile loaded it shouldn't be interacting with the game, what is happening?

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
It wants to use the 360 controller instead of the g27 and I don't really know what should I change to avoid it

alr
May 14, 2009
Dirt Rally developer livestream at http://www.twitch.tv/dirtgame in an hour and a half from now (3pm BST, 12am AEST, 7am PDT).

All the online leagues and daily/weekly challenges are down while they're preparing to update, so I guess we're getting Germany soonish!

edit: it's out, 7.6GB download.

quote:

12 new rally stages based at Baumholder in Germany
Owners Club Online Events – A second DiRT Daily where you compete in your own car
A second weekly event where we’ll be experimenting and throwing new challenges at you
7 new rally cars featuring new Group B RWD & Kit Car Classes
Renault Alpine A110 1600S
Opel Kadett GT/E 16v
Renault 5 Turbo
Opel Manta 400
Lancia 037 Evo 2
Seat Ibiza Kitcar
Peugeot 306 Maxi
New calibration and options screens in “Advanced Wheel Settings” (added in v.0.4.5)

alr fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 29, 2015

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Also looks like they fixed a few of the issues that was causing error 41, woop!

Can't wait to try out the kitcars on Wales :D

Edit: Full changelog http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=310560

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
The Clubsport Universal Hub (non-XBOX) is 33% off if anyone is interested. I'm not ready to spend more money on toys just yet.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Oh god, who knew tarmac could be fun when you don't have death either side of you.

Go take your most fun sideways car (The modern Mini is my choice) and loving throw it around some corners on the new Germany tracks, so much fun.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
As anyone might guess, the next league season is all about Germany. :getin:

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Please name this season the Dirt Reich.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Probably gonna be an unpopular opinion here, have they finally fixed the traction in DiRT Rally so cars actually have grip or is everything still a big slidey mess? Last time I played it I found my Delta sliding off the road at like 30 - 40mph no matter what I did and said gently caress it and uninstalled again :v:

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

T1g4h posted:

Probably gonna be an unpopular opinion here, have they finally fixed the traction in DiRT Rally so cars actually have grip or is everything still a big slidey mess? Last time I played it I found my Delta sliding off the road at like 30 - 40mph no matter what I did and said gently caress it and uninstalled again :v:

Well it looks like the biggest request on their official forums is for everything to have less grip
http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/7078/wishlistwednesday-24-06-11

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I just got a notice that the event has expired, but there should be about 8 hours left, correct?

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

FancyMike posted:

Well it looks like the biggest request on their official forums is for everything to have less grip

The most sim sperg request.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sim spergs are only happy in a frictionless universe.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Literally unbelievable that race-prepped vehicles would have grip.

alr
May 14, 2009

pik_d posted:

I just got a notice that the event has expired, but there should be about 8 hours left, correct?

Goon league? Yeah, same, time couldn't be entered.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

FancyMike posted:

Goddamnit. The lack of grip is my biggest issue with the game as is. Race prepped car with offroad tires? Nah, let's make it slide around on these gravel roads like the entire track surface is covered in oil and grease because that's obviously realistic :v:

If real dirt and gravel roads worked in reality the way they work in DiRT Rally, my day to day experience in our work truck would be a harrowing adventure.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Sim spergs are only happy in a frictionless universe.

My first racing sim was surf_ski_2

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

alr posted:

Goon league? Yeah, same, time couldn't be entered.

Yeah, I did the first stage and it went through fine, seems like after 4PM EST it closed 8 hours early.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
What is their justification for less grip? Are these dorks basing their judgment from YouTube videos?

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Less grip == harder to drive == more realistic.

That's what I've been able to figure out.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
So hitting the start button or escape in a race instantly closes the game for me (and others, apparently).

e: In Dirt, I mean.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

T1g4h posted:

This is the first I think I've seen any complaints on the grip in Dirt Rally. They have at least one WRC driver even giving them feedback so I doubt it's grossly out of line or they probably would've said that it'd be getting attention at some point.

In fact, the heavy gravel on Greece is so grippy that you barely even need to touch the brakes with non-Group-B cars.

I don't want to be the "L2P" voice, but it took me a bit to learn how to throw the car's weight around such that I don't put the car into a slow, gripless side ways slide. Usually this is caused by going too fast into a bend and continuing to hard turn to try staying on despite having too much speed to grip and then the momentum keeps carrying you on your previous trajectory despite your nose no longer facing that way and you just slowly slide off side ways unless your tires can get grip again (often not an option in narrow areas). Alternatively, Group B's carry such high speeds that little bumps often give you enough air that your lack of grip is because your wheels are not firmly planted on (or even touching, sometimes) the racing surface.

Having seen no mention by Devs of too much/little grip, I wouldn't expect changes to it, at least in the near term.

bUm fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jun 29, 2015

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Ugh, Dirt let me upload stage 3, but I (and Raize, by the looks of it) don't have a time listed for stage 2. So now I'm +07:26.840 when I should be near the top few.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

bUm posted:

This is the first I think I've seen any complaints on the grip in Dirt Rally. They have at least one WRC driver even giving them feedback so I doubt it's grossly out of line or they probably would've said that it'd be getting attention at some point.

In fact, the heavy gravel on Greece is so grippy that you barely even need to touch the brakes with non-Group-B cars.

I don't want to be the "L2P" voice, but it took me a bit to learn how to throw the car's weight around such that I don't put the car into a slow, gripless side ways slide. Usually this is caused by going too fast into a bend and continuing to hard turn to try staying on despite having too much speed to grip and then the momentum keeps carrying you on your previous trajectory despite your nose no longer facing that way and you just slowly slide off side ways unless your tires can get grip again (often not an option in narrow areas). Alternatively, Group B's carry such high speeds that little bumps often give you enough air that you lack of grip is because your wheels are not firmly planted (or even touching, sometimes) the racing surface.

Having seen no mention by Devs of too much/little grip, I wouldn't expect changes to it, at least in the near term.

Counterpoint, and my big issue with it: Real cars do not work the way they do in DiRT Rally. A race prepped Lancia Delta Integrale with actual offroad spec tires should not slide off into the trees on the slightest corner at 30mph when my 2wd work truck on lovely lovely all season street tires can easily manage 30 - 40mph down dirt and gravel roads without breaking traction in the slightest.

It's not even a matter of throwing the weight and learning to drive, it's a matter of the tires just not gripping the way real tires do. It feels like every car is skating around on oiled up surfaces while running hockey pucks for tires. It's not realistic, nor is it a simulation of how real cars actually handle, unless rally drivers just cover their tires in lard before every stage for extra challenge. I could see if I was barreling into a hairpin corner at 60+ and my car pushing and plowing straight into the trees or whatever, that'd be expected. But taking a very slight righthand bend at 30mph and having the car just understeer and slide off the road? That's just silly.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret
Another counterpoint. If they have a wrc driver on retainer, how come the ffb was spectacular dog poo poo until some racedept schlubs fixed it?

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

It feels good now to me but I am terrible at it and don't know anything. The biggest problem I have with Dirt Rally is that I bought Fulvia as my first car for career mode and I hate that goddamn piece of poo poo so much I ended up buying the Mini asap instead of saving up for a car in another class.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
The league event isn't supposed to end until midnight EDT. :( What a crappy bug. The Germany season starts immediately after, though.

advion
Jul 25, 2005

osker posted:

Another counterpoint. If they have a wrc driver on retainer, how come the ffb was spectacular dog poo poo until some racedept schlubs fixed it?

Because translating real world feeling to a wheel on your desk run by lovely little motors doesn't really work. No matter what game/sim or who you have on retainer or testing it. They do their best but even the best implementations are pretty horrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uselessness
Mar 29, 2005

This really pisses me
off to no end
Slippery Tilde
I'm not convinced they expected all that many people to be using wheels, given the short initial list of supported wheels, the forum poll they ran to find out which wheels they should be looking to support and the old suggestion of using 270 degrees of rotation from the previous dirt games until this previous patch. The game does play very well with a pad too, it's how I started playing it. Early access it may be, but it's otherwise a very polished game that they've obviously put a decent amount of thought into. But they kind of forgot wheel peripherals?

That would be my guess with the ffb question, they just didn't put too much thought into it until it was the loudest, most prominent complaint on the forums.

• Locked thread