Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Dodgy Graphite posted:

it wasn't my fault, for gently caress's sake

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dodgy Graphite posted:

I love you.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Dodgy Graphite posted:

You said you were reactor grade, but you just couldn't handle the pressure! Admit it! You choked! The going got tough and you VENTED RADIOACTIVE CARBON all over downtown Pripyat!

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Dodgy Graphite posted:

:boom:

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

larchesdanrew posted:

Welp, we cleaned the basement.

By "clean," I mean my supervisor just wanted everything stacked up in the corner or shoved it in a closet. For the curious, I did attempt to throw out the Performa box including the rotten box of wallpaper on top of it, but he just wasn't having that.

Apparently, the CEO and his entourage is coming Monday and, since we live in squalor the other 364 days a year, everyone is scrambling to straighten up.

At least I took the opportunity to throw away a lot more old worthless poo poo. Seriously, at one point I took my arm and literally swept an entire wall of shelves filled with dusty doodads into a garbage can.

The look of horror on supervisor's face.

To be fair, he did say that in a few weeks we'll be renting a big dumpster and doing a serious cleanout of the basement, but I'll believe that poo poo when I see it.

One of two things needs to happen now:

1) CEO comes in Monday, sees the neat office area. You bring him to the basement and show him the pile of poo poo collecting dust and possibly causing a current (and future) hazard. Make it known that your supervisor refuses to throw anything away and appears to have a serious mental problem. Take pictures of all the piled up crap in the basement and show them to the CEO to get the point across, and stress to him how long this has been going on.

2) Rent the dumpster yourself and have it show up sometime next week - or preferably, when your supervisor decides to take a day or more off work. Do the same as above, make sure it's all hauled off so nothing can be recovered. Also take/keep any photos in case your boss decides to be a dick and reprimand you for cleaning up.

The only way he'll straighten up is when someone calls him on it and points out that it's a serious problem. If that person isn't you, bring in all the firepower you can from people above BOTH of you to get that poo poo out of there. Hell, get a crew of people to watch everything get hauled off to the dump if that means keeping your supervisor from digging stuff out of the trash.

Comedy option: Find an old, beat up piece of crap 10+ year old computer that barely works, set it up with some old-rear end version of Windows, and swap your supervisor's computer with it. Or better yet, since he wants to keep all that poo poo, wait until he's gone from the office and move ALL his stuff to the basement so he can be with his precious garbage.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Jun 27, 2015

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ozz81 posted:

One of two things needs to happen now:

1) CEO comes in Monday, sees the neat office area. You bring him to the basement and show him the pile of poo poo collecting dust and possibly causing a current (and future) hazard. Make it known that your supervisor refuses to throw anything away and appears to have a serious mental problem. Take pictures of all the piled up crap in the basement and show them to the CEO to get the point across, and stress to him how long this has been going on.

2) Rent the dumpster yourself and have it show up sometime next week - or preferably, when your supervisor decides to take a day or more off work. Do the same as above, make sure it's all hauled off so nothing can be recovered. Also take/keep any photos in case your boss decides to be a dick and reprimand you for cleaning up.

The only way he'll straighten up is when someone calls him on it and points out that it's a serious problem. If that person isn't you, bring in all the firepower you can from people above BOTH of you to get that poo poo out of there. Hell, get a crew of people to watch everything get hauled off to the dump if that means keeping your supervisor from digging stuff out of the trash.

Comedy option: Find an old, beat up piece of crap 10+ year old computer that barely works, set it up with some old-rear end version of Windows, and swap your supervisor's computer with it. Or better yet, since he wants to keep all that poo poo, wait until he's gone from the office and move ALL his stuff to the basement so he can be with his precious garbage.

His supervisor is a hoarder and suffers from mental illness. That said, although everyone would like to would love to make an area like this tidy it would be tough to advise someone to take a stand of this level. If you went around me like that I would fire you and I would mostly be in the right for doing so.

Of all the things to do something drastic over this would be the dumbest reason to get fired over.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Sickening posted:

His supervisor is a hoarder and suffers from mental illness. That said, although everyone would like to would love to make an area like this tidy it would be tough to advise someone to take a stand of this level. If you went around me like that I would fire you and I would mostly be in the right for doing so.

Of all the things to do something drastic over this would be the dumbest reason to get fired over.

2's over the top, 1 isn't. If you have a literal workplace hazard you can't just say "oh well he can't help it".

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Ursine Asylum posted:

2's over the top, 1 isn't. If you have a literal workplace hazard you can't just say "oh well he can't help it".

Comedy Option 2 : While cleaning, "accidentally" make something fall on you. Get hurt, sue the company for workplace hazard. You get money, room gets cleaned.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
and I want to hug it.

Software install request

Name:Adblock Pro

Type: Firefox plugin

Cost: $0

Reason for Install: Test website experience with popular ad-blocking software installed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

So I get a ticket for a laptop with trackpad problems. The first responder put in the notes that he got a fan error during diagnostics and is worried about a bulging battery interfering with the trackpad. I've seen that happen and I don't gently caress around with batteries that are doing that. So I go out there.

It turns out that this person's MacBook Pro has a whopping great dent in the bottom cover. it's an inch across and about half an inch deep. I take it off, and sure enough, the dent smashed one of the fans a bit. Just a bit. I use my black stick and bend the fan housing back into shape so the fan isn't rubbing against the housing as it spins. The next bit is the fun part.

To keep the fan from getting smushed again, I get a hammer and pound the dent out. After closing up the laptop, the trackpad is working properly again. See, with the bottom cover back to its normal shape it is no longer warping the top case and loving with the trackpad mechanism. A beautiful, no-service part repair for two issues at once.

That's right, today I fixed a laptop with a hammer. :smug:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ozz81 posted:

The CEO isn't going to the basement. He's walking directly to the GM's office, talking for a while, and then directly back out, I guarantee it. MAYBE there's a stop along the way to talk to an anchor or something. He's sure as hell not going into the basement, and he's going to give zero fucks about how dusty it is even if you do end up getting him down there.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Ursine Asylum posted:

Sorry but attempting to tattle on your boss to the ceo isn't exactly a great move in the majority of corp life. Like it or not, it's his bosses call to leave the area the way it is. If the area is really this dangerous, try to fight being made to go into it.

Keep to what is yours to control and you will be better off.

Volmarias posted:

The CEO isn't going to the basement. He's walking directly to the GM's office, talking for a while, and then directly back out, I guarantee it. MAYBE there's a stop along the way to talk to an anchor or something. He's sure as hell not going into the basement, and he's going to give zero fucks about how dusty it is even if you do end up getting him down there.

Basically this.

J
Jun 10, 2001

Please do not bother the CEO about a dirty basement.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Volmarias posted:

Not only this, but who the gently caress do you think the CEO is going to believe when your manager tells him that they need all that garbage?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

sfwarlock posted:

and I want to hug it.

Software install request

Name:Adblock Pro

Type: Firefox plugin

Cost: $0

Reason for Install: Test website experience with popular ad-blocking software installed.

Except Adblock pro is basically malware now. Get ublock original.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

jaegerx posted:

Except Adblock pro is basically malware now. Get ublock original.

This is the first time I hear of this, and google gives no results. Can you elaborate?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KaneTW posted:

This is the first time I hear of this, and google gives no results. Can you elaborate?

Dude's just whining because it isn't as fast as it once was.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Probably related to this, if I had to make an educated guess.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

A ticket didn't come in today. Because I took the day off and came in for the semi annual IT fun fest to celebrate a useless but fun award and drink beer on the company dime.

It's been a year since I YOTJ'D to here and I couldn't be happier.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Dodgy Graphite posted:

:golfclap:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

quote:

Any way to change IP address?

For some reason Craigslist has blocked my IP address.
I'm guessing they blocked it for a good reason, gently caress this guy

you ate my cat
Jul 1, 2007

anthonypants posted:

I'm guessing they blocked it for a good reason, gently caress this guy

I work for an ISP and field that question a lot. The answers people give to the inevitable "Why exactly do you think you need to change your IP?" are always amazing.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

you ate my cat posted:

I work for an ISP and field that question a lot. The answers people give to the inevitable "Why exactly do you think you need to change your IP?" are always amazing.

You can't just tease us like that. Details!

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
We need the directory structure to look like "/datastore/[a-z]/[a-z]/[a-z]" instead of "/datastore/[aaa-zzz]".

After a few moments thought, I came up with

code:
#include<stdio.h>

void explosion (int level) { 
	static char* alphabet = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz";
	int x = 26;
	while (x --> 0) { 
		printf("mkdir %c\n", alphabet[x]);
	}
	if (level > 0) {
	        x = 26;
		while (x --> 0) { 
			printf("cd %c\n", alphabet[x]);
			explosion(level-1);
			printf("cd ..\n");
		}       
	}
}

int main () {
	printf("#!//bin//bash\n");
	explosion(3);

return 0;
}
To quote Top Gear, a brilliant solution to a problem that never should have existed in the first place.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

sfwarlock posted:

We need the directory structure to look like "/datastore/[a-z]/[a-z]/[a-z]" instead of "/datastore/[aaa-zzz]".

After a few moments thought, I came up with

:words:

To quote Top Gear, a brilliant solution to a problem that never should have existed in the first place.

That's a lotta C to say:

code:
#!/bin/bash
mkdir -p /datastore/{a..z}/{a..z}/{a..z}
:v:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dennyk posted:

That's a lotta C to say:

code:
#!/bin/bash

I got caught up the fact he wrote a program that more or less created a shell script when it all could have been done in said shell script in the first place.

Or in one line as you show.

It looked more to me like he just learned how to create recursive loops in C and now had a hammer and was looking for nails.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
Whenever I encounter a simple problem like that (e.g. creating multiple nested directories based on a pattern), even if I already have an idea for a solution, I always take a couple of minutes to google it and read a few Stack Exchange/StackOverflow threads or something. There's always going to be several ways to accomplish something, so it's good to learn some extra options and then pick the "best" (fastest, shortest, most portable, most robust/reusable, etc.) for your particular task. Plus you'll often learn at least one cool trick you didn't already know in the process. :eng101:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Fun thing today: more storms coming through east TN this week have been making our power flicker randomly and this is typically mitigated by having a UPS on mission critical computers. Except in one of them the batteries recently died and our GM won't pay for them so our TV station gets knocked out with every flicker and if it happens at night when nobody is here then loving welp.

Ryzic
Feb 28, 2009

No, actually. I would hate to have a cookie, you vapid waste of inedible flesh!
Grimey Drawer

dennyk posted:

That's a lotta C to say:

code:
#!/bin/bash

Yeah, but your version doesn't use the sweet "downto" operator, and isn't generalized to n-depth!

fakeedit: I guess technically the 3 is hardcoded. Should have parsed some args! (and used mkdir(3))

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

If you have in writing that the GM doesn't want to pay for the basic infrastructure, then just wash your hands and let it fail.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
My first all IT meeting on my :yotj: went like this:

(presentation fail)

Go team?

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Collateral Damage posted:

If you have in writing that the GM doesn't want to pay for the basic infrastructure, then just wash your hands and let it fail.

I'm just a radio announcer that has to help on the tech poo poo here often. However our Operations Manager wrote a letter 2 years ago to our GM that he had him sign that basically says "I acknowledge that [xyz] are broken and have/will not replace them even if it constitutes a fine, etc and will not hold (OM) responsible".

The GM signed it.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Just taken over a new client and my colleague was due to make the first site visit on Thursday. This afternoon they say they can't open some files and there are Help_Decrypt messages everywhere. They noticed this first thing this morning (after opening "resume.js") but only just told us now.

Only one machine infected, which was a relief until we learn it's being used as both a workstation by the main finance person and the file server for the other users. We don't think there are any backups.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Welp. Better pay up then?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Pretty sure the cryptolocker encryption has been broken, at least in part.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Update:
Colleague came back with infected computer, turns out it's OK because "we back up to The Cloud!"

The Cloud is now infected and broken.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

The Muffinlord posted:

Pretty sure the cryptolocker encryption has been broken, at least in part.
This is absolutely not the case. Private keys have been recovered in a few extremely lucky instances, but there are a lot of variants. It's definitely worth checking if you've been infected by one of those private keys before paying up, though.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Wibla posted:

Welp. Better pay up then?

Pretty much. Have fun learning how to buy a bitcoin.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A user just told me I had "mad multi-tasking skills" because of my ability to IM her and eat a taco at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sirotan posted:

A user just told me I had "mad multi-tasking skills" because of my ability to IM her and eat a taco at the same time.

I guess that's one way to avoid coming up for air when going down on a taco.

• Locked thread