Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just started playing again and I am going through my tanks on this x3 weekend. I noticed I was using a poo poo gun on my E-50. In my experience with Wot2.5 years ago, the highest gun on the list was the best gun, but what is the consensus on the E-50s top two guns?

It looks like the 8.8cm L/100 may actually be viable? What do you guys who are ~elite tankspergs~ suggest?

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The Southern Dandy posted:

Like this is the most hosed up viewpoint in the game, and so very terribly pubby. There's only arty on the other side, and never on ours.

Always play the victim.

hmm it seems this is actually the most "pubby" post

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The 8.8/L100 is a trap. Don't buy it.

The 88mm round gets horribly hosed by shell size vs. armor thickness mechanics at T9.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

[guy who melted down because people made fun of a country singer]: huh these forums have really gone down hill recently

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The 8.8/L100 is a trap. Don't buy it.

The 88mm round gets horribly hosed by shell size vs. armor thickness mechanics at T9.
Yeah I figured the bigger alpha/higher caliber gun would be smarter but it cant hurt to ask. Thanks!

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

BIG HEADLINE posted:

shell size vs. armor thickness mechanics

what?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

In real life, a shell that is high enough caliber is less likely to ricochet off sloped armour, and even if it does, it can still rip a huge chunk out of the armour, like so:

In-game, this is modelled by making the shell impervious to ricochet if it's 3 times as thick as the armour it's trying to penetrate, regardless of the angle (even if it's greater than the 70 degree auto-ricochet). In practice, this lets you get ridiculous penetrations through someone's roof if you have enough of a height advantage. For an 88 mm gun, this means you'll only auto-penetrate 29 mm of armour. Tank designers like nice even numbers, so you'll bounce off 30 mm roofs, whereas 105 mm will auto-penetrate 35 mm.

In cases where your shell caliber is greater than the armour, but not 3 times greater, the shell has a bonus to normalization, which also helps. In addition, when a shell penetrates the hull of a tank, it deals damage to modules within 10 calibers of the entrance, so extra caliber helps here too.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

yeah i get overmatch but the way destruya phrased it was really really odd

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

Prav posted:

Well no poo poo it didn't loving work, you barely touched the god drat gold shells.

I really don't know what they were expecting to achieve by it. Poors like me might've been stuck mostly firing AP but in any case the rest can buy the almost untouched gold shells and have even more pen than they would've had firing AP before.

As for the Mauschen, you mean to tell me that a shittier Maus isn't faring well when dropped into the strongest tier of tanks in the game? I don't believe you! :allears:

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Man, calling it a shittier Maus is being very generous. The drat thing was completely crippled in almost all areas.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Prav posted:

Man, calling it a shittier Maus is being very generous. The drat thing was completely crippled in almost all areas.

Probably making it the most "accurate" Nazi shitbox then. :hitler:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

"There will be no penetration nerf AT ALL, since the tests have shown that it didn't work. So no changes planned for now (at least summer and autumn will be without changes).

Also, Mauschen will not be implemented (it will not be in 9.9 test 2 anymore) because it sucks, devs decided not to put it in."

Some leak Rita posted.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

I'm not clanned up, and know nothing of strongholds unfortunately.

Then your a idiot, join 2pac you will fit right in!

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Prav posted:

It's a T95 that's worse in every way.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
This was my most joyous moment in WoT in a long long time.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 29, 2015

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

This was my most joyous moment in WoT in a long long time.

Was it when someone installed a goddamned crosshair mod for you?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
...No. That's a video link.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Bort Bortles posted:

I just started playing again and I am going through my tanks on this x3 weekend. I noticed I was using a poo poo gun on my E-50. In my experience with Wot2.5 years ago, the highest gun on the list was the best gun, but what is the consensus on the E-50s top two guns?

It looks like the 8.8cm L/100 may actually be viable? What do you guys who are ~elite tankspergs~ suggest?

Buy it, put it on your tank, and look how stupid it looks.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Easy there buddy.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Prav posted:

Easy there buddy.

Can you equip it with the stock turret? Because that would be even more stupid looking.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Prav posted:

JohnGalt posted:

Buy it, put it on your tank, and look how stupid it looks.
Easy there buddy.

:vince: That is worse than the 7.5cm L/100 the T7 Panther got like three years ago. The thing was a chaingun but the barrel was longer than the tank. I actually kinda miss the thing...it could pen a lot of poo poo for its tier.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
it's 8.8 meters long. it strikes me as somewhat unwieldy and impractical

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Atal Vataman posted:

So it was designed by the Germans.

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

Gapey Joe Stalin posted:

...No. That's a video link.

Yeah I was just giving you poo poo. The default crosshairs make me :barf:

Killing an unspotted tank when aiming at another is the best.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Loaded, full health T57 Heavy charges FV215B Heavy with 800 hit points, T57 is full. T57 bounces four shots off of the front of the stationary FV as the T57 does a driveby without attempting to turn into the side, or just stop and shoot the lower. He then dies to the FV while on reload, and blames the team for not helping him.

Maybe it's time for another break.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

srb posted:

Maybe it's time for another break.

I made it to the IS-3 after having a 60% winrate in my IS and realized fighting tier 10s in the IS-3 is loving awful so I'm taking a break from the game.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Atal Vataman posted:

Still not the longest German tank gun! The 17 cm StuK L/53 is a little longer. Then, there's always the 8.8 cm L/130 Pak that was so big the barrel had to be designed in three parts for transport.

Truck Stop Daddy
Apr 17, 2013

A janitor cleans the bathroom

Muldoon
Hmm.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Haquer posted:

I made it to the IS-3 after having a 60% winrate in my IS and realized fighting tier 10s in the IS-3 is loving awful so I'm taking a break from the game.

If you can just expose your turret the IS-3 fairs pretty well against tier 10's compared to a lot of tier 8's. Tier 8s in general are awful to play now though.

Finally got my bat-chat unlocked. Good tank but isn't as maneuverable as I thought it was.

25K more xp and 4 million credits and I'll have the entire Chinese Line done. Overall I have enjoyed the whole line.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

WHY

goomsnarr
Jun 21, 2012

Yeah, yeah...
Wargaming sponsored Tankfest (a weekend of live events and what not at Bovington Tank Museum in Dorset, UK) again and were there giving out goodie bags. The only catch was, you had to queue up and take part in a battle.
There was a "High 5" competition; you had to use a tier 5 non-premium tank and not go in a platoon and then score over 1500 exp to "win". No idea if there was a prize or not, and when we had got to the front of the queue there was only 1 person that had managed it (1600-odd in a KV-1).
Most people were taking tier 10's or premiums, so I'm not surprised.
I was only there for the swag, so I just hit "Battle" and can't even remember what I was driving.
Near the front of the queue, there was a touch-screen that you could play "guess the tank" by revealing small squares of a screenshot and then identifying the vehicle. They were giving out WoT Generals and/or WoT Blitz booster cards for guessing correctly (not sure what exactly).

I got a Wargaming.net Community t-shirt (XXL of course), a card with a bonus code for a Chi Nu Kai, a slot and 3 days of premium. Also an illuminated key-ring in the shape of a light-bulb with "Sixth Sense" etched into it.

They were also giving out Google-Cardboard thingies; basically you assemble this cardboard viewer to hold your smart-phone, then use a free app to get a virtual ride in a tank. It's pretty good. A bit weird to see and hear from a moving vehicle while your inner ear says you're standing still though.

There was a Wargaming stall selling stuff as well, and I was sorely tempted by the Type-59 t-shirt emblazoned with "WALLET WARRIOR!", but I couldn't think of a time I'd actually wear it.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:

WayAbvPar posted:

I did this earlier too. Some pubbie Chaffee learned not to hide next to a spotted TOG that was pissing me off by shooting me. My S-51 splashed most of the TOG's health off and all of the Chaffee's.

We still lost, naturally.

The Germans truly were the ur-pubbies. They, too, thought tanks fight 1v1 on a billiard table. The stress on that thing even over relatively even terrain must be absurd, imagine trying to cross ditches or do other tank things.

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

WayAbvPar posted:

Yeah I was just giving you poo poo. The default crosshairs make me :barf:

no telling your platoon your going to shoot under a wreck and kill a tank. and the actually doing it is better!

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Hellsau posted:

Also possibly going to not nerf pen due to the tests just not working.

Good. Goddamn that was such a stupid idea.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Didn't WG say that Chinese tanks weren't a priority since a lot of the Chinese players can't run HD tanks? If so have they had a reversal on that opinion since they decided to produce two separate clients and its not really a correct thing anymore?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

rossmum posted:

The Germans truly were the ur-pubbies. They, too, thought tanks fight 1v1 on a billiard table. The stress on that thing even over relatively even terrain must be absurd, imagine trying to cross ditches or do other tank things.

The reason that their tanks seem specifically designed to appeal to armchair historians and easily excited amateurs.

This is of course because they literally were.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BadLlama posted:

If you can just expose your turret the IS-3 fairs pretty well against tier 10's compared to a lot of tier 8's.

Most tier 10s can shoot right through the IS-3's turret from the front regardless of the elevation difference. Hell, you can even do it in a T34 or a Lowe.

mikemelbrooks posted:

no telling your platoon your going to shoot under a wreck and kill a tank. and the actually doing it is better!

Shooting anyone who thinks they're 100% safe is pretty much the greatest thing.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

McGavin posted:

Most tier 10s can shoot right through the IS-3's turret from the front regardless of the elevation difference. Hell, you can even do it in a T34 or a Lowe.

Unless you have a good elevation advantage its weakest part on that turret is like 260mm of effective armor, it bounces plenty of things still. Generally when it gets penned from the front its because its a short tank and hitting that plate on top of the turret isn't hard and it gets Over-matched by low caliber guns.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Haquer posted:

If you have issues with a fairly mobile tank with great penetration, good alpha, and makes bullshit on the move shots; I don't know what to tell you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

BadLlama posted:

Unless you have a good elevation advantage its weakest part on that turret is like 260mm of effective armor, it bounces plenty of things still. Generally when it gets penned from the front its because its a short tank and hitting that plate on top of the turret isn't hard and it gets Over-matched by low caliber guns.

That plate on top of the turret is 20mm thick and gets overmatched by anything over 60mm. Also, thanks to the IS-3's crappy gun depression, there is basically never a situation where the IS-3 can both shoot something and keep that plate hidden.