Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

murphyslaw posted:

What's an MGTOW then, and what do they believe?

MGTOW stands for Men Going Their Own Way and the short version is that they're the Western equivalent of Japan's herbivores, except they do it as a political statement and make lots of very sad Youtube videos telling everyone else that they're doing it. Kind of like a gender flipped version of feminist separatism, except without the political homosexuality.

Anyway, Return of Kings has multiple articles saying that they don't like MRAs, and MRA sites like A Voice For Men have posted more than one article vocally disagreeing with ROK, so describing them as MRAs is still disingenuous. But that's nothing new, since in a certain part of the internet, MRA has basically just come to mean "anyone who disagrees with me."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unrealistic Idea
Jun 19, 2015

Cingulate posted:

I'm pretty confused by your post, but fwiw, it's absolutely clear and extremely well established that humans show some, and exceptionally little, sexual dimorphism with regards to physical, and even fewer dimorphism regarding cognitive capacities. Personality wise, it's still kind of up for grabs, with some evidence for very slim, and some for significant dimorphism.

We are the most limited of course of about 15%. I did not imply male-master race in any form. I just said I could find papers saying that we are a sexual dimorphic species.

http://www.pnas.org/content/100/16/9103.full

Saying that is a "social construct and patently false" like she did is kind of out there. She could have easily said something more based in science then making poo poo up or denying reality.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

INH5 posted:

MGTOW stands for Men Going Their Own Way and the short version is that they're the Western equivalent of Japan's herbivores, except they do it as a political statement and make lots of very sad Youtube videos telling everyone else that they're doing it.

Anyway, Return of Kings has multiple articles saying that they don't like MRAs, and MRA sites like A Voice For Men have posted more than one article vocally disagreeing with ROK, so describing them as MRAs is still disingenuous. But that's nothing new, since in a certain part of the internet, MRA has basically just come to mean "anyone who disagrees with me."

Why don't they like MRAs? Why don't MRAs like them?

PerpetualSelf
Apr 6, 2015

by Ralp

INH5 posted:

MGTOW stands for Men Going Their Own Way and the short version is that they're the Western equivalent of Japan's herbivores, except they do it as a political statement and make lots of very sad Youtube videos telling everyone else that they're doing it. Kind of like a gender flipped version of feminist separatism, except without the political homosexuality.

Sounds like something that fixes itself tbqh

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

INH5 posted:

well Roosh V has written about how women in scandinavian countries have insufficient fear of being destitute and alone to be fuckable, so how about i call them "sex predators" instead

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails

paranoid randroid posted:

"Slowly but surely, the Manosphere is gaining steam and extending its reach. Men in their late 30s and beyond who had the luxury of semi-rejecting the red pill while still finding moderate success are being outnumbered by a younger generation who realize they really don’t have a choice in the matter. Unlike the older men, these men didn’t choose to unplug; they were unplugged. Yet they thrive.

theyre red pill freakshows.

Holy loving poo poo what does any of this even mean.

INH5 posted:

Thanks. The whole herbivore man phenomenon is pretty whack. But the way I'd heard about it in the west seemed to be that these are guys that have either had such terrible experiences with women (hosed up marriages, divorces, custody rulings etc) or are unable to get laid and, rather than become "incel," decide to just not bother with women at all any more, resigning themselves to making bitter youtube videos or going off into the woods to jerk off. Am I totally off base?

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Unrealistic Idea posted:

We are the most limited of course of about 15%. I did not imply male-master race in any form. I just said I could find papers saying that we are a sexual dimorphic species.

Saying that is a "social construct and patently false" like she did is kind of out there. She could have easily said something more based in science then making poo poo up or denying reality.
See the problem is you are extremely confused about this scientific concept. There is no meaningful question of if humans are a "dimorphic species". All mammals show some degree of sexual dimorphism. Every species with sexes shows dimorphism. Humans are mammals, etc.

Science has pretty well established that humans have nearly negligible cognitive sex dimorphism, but at a minimum, the fact that penises and vaginas are not the same thing is something Anita will never deny.

You're just confused about what these terms mean.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cingulate posted:

Compared to the rest of the animal world, we have very little dimorphism. Gorilla males are twice as big as females. Kangaroo males and females basically look like different species. Male anglerfish are tiny parasitic worms, female anglerfish are ... well, fish.

That is not to say the overlap between men in women with regards to characteristics like upper body strength and (baring extreme obesity) chest fat deposits isn't very little, but compared to the rest of the animal kingdom, we have little dimorphism.

Yeah, this is very true. I just know male/female human sexual dimorphisim is a controversial topic and some people just refuse to acknowledge it and just deny reality. And there are others who use :biotruths: to justify extremely misogynistic ideas, which is basically the modern form of 'Social Darwinism'.

paranoid randroid posted:

well Roosh V has written about how women in scandinavian countries have insufficient fear of being destitute and alone to be fuckable, so how about i call them "sex predators" instead

I loving loathe that site. It is for the most pathetic people on the internet and buys completely into the functionally retarded alpha/beta ideas.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cingulate posted:

I'm pretty confused by your post, but fwiw, it's absolutely clear and extremely well established that humans show some, and exceptionally little, sexual dimorphism with regards to physical, and even fewer dimorphism regarding cognitive capacities. Personality wise, it's still kind of up for grabs, with some evidence for very slim, and some for significant dimorphism.

I don't understand anything about the quoted post, but of course humans exhibit sexual dimorphism? You need less than a hundred participants to reliably detect that men are heavier than women on average, and behaviorally, "has penis y/n" is pretty much the best predictor of sexual preference. Where it gets tricky is that we have a (more evident) kind of "double dimorphism", where biological sex isn't tightly coupled to sexual preference, but also not entirely independent of it. Whether those count as "a lot" or "a little" is up in the air, of course, but humans show obvious sexual dimorphism.

I don't think any work has been done on this in humans, for obvious reasons, but there was an interesting Nature Neuro article (alternative RG link) on the developmental processes behind this in rats. They experimentally induced masculinized sexual behavior in biologically female rats. Not to compare humans with rats, of course, but it's an interesting study because it shows that sexual dimorphism and dimorphic sexual behavior may both occur in mammals more generally.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Unrealistic Idea posted:

The video says that the socially constructed myth is that women are "a naturally weaker gender [...] frail, fragile, and vulnerable," which doesn't sound like denial of sexual dimorphism to me. it sounds like she's talking about beliefs about women, unless you believe that sexual dimorphism makes women physically frail and fragile or weak.

INH5
Dec 17, 2012
Error: file not found.

Jack Gladney posted:

ROK doesn't like MRAs because they think MRAs are beta cucks. Read this article if you want to know more details. MRAs, meanwhile, tend not to like ROK and other Red Pill types because they see them as helping perpetuate various social structures that harm men. In particular, one AVFM writer criticized ROK for supporting "alpha male" Vladimir Putin.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper Dan posted:

Yeah, this is very true. I just know male/female human sexual dimorphisim is a controversial topic and some people just refuse to acknowledge it and just deny reality.
Literally nobody denies humans show sexual dimorphism. Anybody who either thinks so, or thinks other people thinks so, does not understand what the word means.

Jack Gladney posted:

The video says that the socially constructed myth is that women are "a naturally weaker gender [...] frail, fragile, and vulnerable," which doesn't sound like denial of sexual dimorphism to me. it sounds like she's talking about beliefs about women, unless you believe that sexual dimorphism makes women physically frail and fragile or weak.
Well women being physically weak compared to men is one of the more salient sexual dimorphisms we show.

Zodium posted:

You need less than a hundred participants to reliably detect that men are heavier than women on average
Ha, I know what study you're referring to.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

INH5 posted:

ROK doesn't like MRAs because they think MRAs are beta cucks. Read this article if you want to know more details. MRAs, meanwhile, tend not to like ROK and other Red Pill types because they see them as helping perpetuate various social structures that harm men. In particular, one AVFM writer criticized ROK for supporting "alpha male" Vladimir Putin.
Yes, but who gives a gently caress? Some of the reaction prefers tomatos, some tomatoes.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cingulate posted:

Literally nobody denies humans show sexual dimorphism. Anybody who either thinks so, or thinks other people thinks so, does not understand what the word means.
Well women being physically weak compared to men is one of the more salient sexual dimorphisms we show.

She didn't deny that women on average are physically weaker than men. She said the myth is that women are weak, fragile, vulnerable, and frail in an absolute sense, in the context of beliefs that women need men to shelter and protect them. Unless that is the biological truth you're asserting here, I don't think you're seeing a denial of biology.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cingulate posted:

See the problem is you are extremely confused about this scientific concept. There is no meaningful question of if humans are a "dimorphic species". All mammals show some degree of sexual dimorphism. Every species with sexes shows dimorphism. Humans are mammals, etc.

Science has pretty well established that humans have nearly negligible cognitive sex dimorphism, but at a minimum, the fact that penises and vaginas are not the same thing is something Anita will never deny.

You're just confused about what these terms mean.

There are differences in the brain with regard to sex, but there hasn't been enough research to see how these differences effect us: http://www.pnas.org/content/111/2/577.full

In terms of intelligence, that's more genetic and environment than gender.

Cingulate posted:

I am talking more about things besides the obvious penis/vagina and secondary sexual characteristics. I mean, these aren't influential people, they're just people on the internet.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Jack Gladney posted:

She didn't deny that women on average are physically weaker than men. She said the myth is that women are weak, fragile, vulnerable, and frail in an absolute sense, in the context of beliefs that women need men to shelter and protect them. Unless that is the biological truth you're asserting here, I don't think you're seeing a denial of biology.
I haven't watched that video, but I'll just give Anita the benefit of the doubt and assume she 1. understands what the word means, 2. has seen a human male before, so yeah, I doubt she believes humans show no sexual dimorphism.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper Dan posted:

There are differences in the brain with regard to sex, but there hasn't been enough research to see how these differences effect us: http://www.pnas.org/content/111/2/577.full

In terms of intelligence, that's more genetic and environment than gender.
Oh, we know how it affects most of cognition: next to nothing. Sex differences in cognitive capacities are very well researched and known to be almost across the board very small.
As I said, personality is another, and still open, topic.

As for the second line, I have no idea how that's supposed to fit in here.

Dapper Dan posted:

I am talking more about things besides the obvious penis/vagina and secondary sexual characteristics. I mean, these aren't influential people, they're just people on the internet.
That's okay, but then use words appropriately or everyone gets confused.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cingulate posted:

Oh, we know how it affects most of cognition: next to nothing. Sex differences in cognitive capacities are very well researched and known to be almost across the board very small..

True, I remember the best example of this was that men were better at spacial tasks than women, but this was disproved.

More on video games and slightly relevant to Anita, this is going to make people absolutely lose their poo poo:

:nws: for pixelated boobs: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sjw-riot-troops-vs-women-in-video-game#/story

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Dapper Dan posted:

True, I remember the best example of this was that men were better at spacial tasks than women, but this was disproved.

More on video games and slightly relevant to Anita, this is going to make people absolutely lose their poo poo:

:nws: for pixelated boobs: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sjw-riot-troops-vs-women-in-video-game#/story

Looks better then kill the f*g** at least.

Unrealistic Idea
Jun 19, 2015

Jack Gladney posted:

No I don't think women are physical frail, fragile, or weak.

This is the quote you were looking for.

"The belief that women are somehow a "naturally weaker gender" is a deeply ingrained, socially constructed myth, which is of course is completely false."

15% is still 15%

The quote you stated was hyperbole to drive the fact. "That this notion is reinforced and perpetuated when women are continuously portrayed as frail, fragile and vulnerable creatures." *citation desperately needed to link social behaviors to video games.*

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh, and just so I'm getting this one out of my system - the Ingalhalikar et al study this lovely write-up is about is not good science. They basically took a nice number of brain scans, looked for all the differences between men and women (I'm ignoring that their actual dependent measure was a derived one regarding connectivity here), painted the differences in colors and the rest grey and said "look at all the differences!".

If you actually quantify their effect size, you come up with a number that is much better interpreted as "the differences between men and women with regards to the vague connectivity measure we came up with are pretty small".
But that makes for a much less interesting paper.

See this for more words: http://lindeloev.net/?p=64

Dapper Dan posted:

Nah that's still a decent contender. Nobody expects there to be any large differences hiding, but maybe some moderate ones.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Cingulate posted:

Nah that's still a decent contender. Nobody expects there to be any large differences hiding, but maybe some moderate ones.

Not that it really matters, since we mostly don't have the funding to reliably detect "moderate" (i.e., non-obvious) differences, and even if we did, we don't have the methods to disentangle biology from culture for questions like "are there meaningful differences between men and women?"

It also doesn't matter because existence is a meaningless and unfunny joke. Eat Arby's.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Zodium posted:

It also doesn't matter because existence is a meaningless and unfunny joke. Eat Arby's.

Amen. Bring on the video game titties

edit: OK this saves twitter

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

Same reason the Trots hate the Stalinists.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cingulate posted:

Oh, and just so I'm getting this one out of my system - the Ingalhalikar et al study this lovely write-up is about is not good science. They basically took a nice number of brain scans, looked for all the differences between men and women (I'm ignoring that their actual dependent measure was a derived one regarding connectivity here), painted the differences in colors and the rest grey and said "look at all the differences!".

If you actually quantify their effect size, you come up with a number that is much better interpreted as "the differences between men and women with regards to the vague connectivity measure we came up with are pretty small".
But that makes for a much less interesting paper.

See this for more words: http://lindeloev.net/?p=64

I saw some recent research that put some doubt on it with VR testing, but I don't know if there was anything else. Thought it was debunked for some reason. Ah well.

And my mistake. Well, I guess they felt they had to sex it up somehow. (Pun maybe or maybe not intended).

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Dapper Dan posted:

And my mistake
No, not your mistake. The deck was terribly stacked against you, to the extent that it was basically impossible for you to figure out their bullshit. It was the authors' (and editors and reviewers') fault for not writing this better.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Cingulate posted:

Compared to the rest of the animal world, we have very little dimorphism. Gorilla males are twice as big as females. Kangaroo males and females basically look like different species. Male anglerfish are tiny parasitic worms, female anglerfish are ... well, fish.

Compared to other primates we have a moderate amount of sexual dimorphism. Far more than baboons, much less than gorillas.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Unrealistic Idea posted:

No I don't think women are physical frail, fragile, or weak.

This is the quote you were looking for.

"The belief that women are somehow a "naturally weaker gender" is a deeply ingrained, socially constructed myth, which is of course is completely false."

15% is still 15%

The quote you stated was hyperbole to drive the fact. "That this notion is reinforced and perpetuated when women are continuously portrayed as frail, fragile and vulnerable creatures." *citation desperately needed to link social behaviors to video games.*

Forgive me for getting in the way of your belief that crazy old feminist refuses to believe that girls are different from boys. Boy, she sure is crazy to deny obvious reality!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Jack Gladney posted:

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/613153475845709824

She's really weird about this.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

I dont even know anymore. I read an article by another anti dude that said "When people create children they discriminate based on genetics." https://archive.is/Z0b9F

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jun 29, 2015

Unrealistic Idea
Jun 19, 2015

Jack Gladney posted:

Forgive me for getting in the way of your belief that crazy old feminist refuses to believe that girls are different from boys. Boy, she sure is crazy to deny obvious reality!

You miss my motive. Everyone lies. Everything is driven by money.

I actually adore this woman and how she sold the masses hook line sinker.

She simply reinvigorated my genuine disbelief and total lack of faith in my fellow humans.

You will never see me a believer in Truth and Justice. I just want people to admire what's in front of them.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Let us English posted:

Compared to other primates we have a moderate amount of sexual dimorphism. Far more than baboons

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I could understand wanting there to be a Free Play mode or something where you could mix leagues, but I don't get the "features in videogames will change major organizational rules in pro sports" train of thought.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Motto posted:

I could understand wanting there to be a Free Play mode or something where you could mix leagues, but I don't get the "features in videogames will change major organizational rules in pro sports" train of thought.

It's a good idea. It would really be no different from Ali versus Tyson in Fight Night or whatever. Pro sports games already transgress against the boundary of time itself in order to construct fantasy scenarios; how is gender any more absurd or insurmountable a barrier?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Unrealistic Idea posted:

You miss my motive. Everyone lies. Everything is driven by money.

I actually adore this woman and how she sold the masses hook line sinker.

She simply reinvigorated my genuine disbelief and total lack of faith in my fellow humans.

You will never see me a believer in Truth and Justice. I just want people to admire what's in front of them.

And all it took was girls going after your video games.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

I was thinking of Baboons as a Strepsirrhini primate for some reason, which are monomorphic. But humans still demonstrate a moderate amount of dimorphism, though certainty nothing like the other great apes.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SedanChair posted:

It's a good idea. It would really be no different from Ali versus Tyson in Fight Night or whatever. Pro sports games already transgress against the boundary of time itself in order to construct fantasy scenarios; how is gender any more absurd or insurmountable a barrier?
What does it imply that you're even asking for this? It seems like for you, equality entails that women are seen as just as physically capable, in every aspect, as men. The problem is that women are with regards to most physical competitions absolutely inferior to men, so this will not be true before massive cybernetics hit.

You're suggesting a wrong kind of equality ideal. The correct approach is to never give any credence to the sexist concept that physical superiority should form the basis of social rankings.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Cingulate posted:

What does it imply that you're even asking for this? It seems like for you, equality entails that women are seen as just as physically capable, in every aspect, as men. The problem is that women are with regards to most physical competitions absolutely inferior to men, so this will not be true before massive cybernetics hit.

You're suggesting a wrong kind of equality ideal. The correct approach is to never give any credence to the sexist concept that physical superiority should form the basis of social rankings.

drat relax bro, your penis is safe.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cingulate posted:

What if a girl and a boy had fun playing a sport one time though? What would happen if men and women had fun with a ball despite physical variation? Would they have fun together?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SedanChair posted:

drat relax bro, your penis is safe.

DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE ASKING FOR GIRLS ARE WEAK AND I AM STRONG THIS IS BIOLOGICAL REALITY HOW DARE YOU SUGGEST THERE ARE WOMEN FITTER YOUNGER GENETICALLY SUPERIOR TO ME BETTER TRAINED AND SMARTER FASTER MORE EFFICIENT AT BALL AND RUN

• Locked thread