Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Just that this one is specific to military culture; "Dependopotamus" is the military slang for the stereotype of young enlisted guys having a fat wife ("dependent" being the technical term) that just sits around and pops out kids and bitches about everything.

It's not quite as dad-jokey as the other ones though, and not really anti-gay (Terminal Lance has been pretty cool on milgay issues). It's more "the enlisted man's inherent tendency to get a fat godawful spouse will magically contaminate even your hot gay husband".

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Max you loveable scamp :allears:

Terminal Lance has a very Marines-ish loathing for women military wives

I'm almost sorry I asked, Jesus loving Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maou shoujo
Apr 12, 2014

ニンゲンの表裏一体

Should've had a gay abortion.

I Killed GBS
Jun 2, 2011

by Lowtax

Alacron posted:

The feminist in me hates these, because I want to just tut and shake my head disapprovingly
But at the same time my aunt-in-law straight up has one of those "Toughest job in the corps" stickers on her car and has a physique resembling Chris Farley

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Gotta say that even as a pinko leftie I love Terminal Lance, but yeah he can be a bit disconcerting at times.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Why do straight people constantly complain about their spouses at every opportunity. There's this cool thing called "divorce" and also "not getting married to people you don't like in the first place"

I'm just thinking about how people joke about the old ball and chain, or the wedding toppers with the bride dragging the groom. Why do straight people even get married if that's their opinion of marriage. Why are they protecting its sanctity. Straight people are wild

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Yo, Everett True is extremely my poo poo.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

majormonotone posted:

Why do straight people constantly complain about their spouses at every opportunity. There's this cool thing called "divorce" and also "not getting married to people you don't like in the first place"

I'm just thinking about how people joke about the old ball and chain, or the wedding toppers with the bride dragging the groom. Why do straight people even get married if that's their opinion of marriage. Why are they protecting its sanctity. Straight people are wild

making bad relationship decisions is def not a straight only thing buddy

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

He usually accompanies those and other ones about messed up relationships with rants about how marines and their significant others are pressured by the system into marrying before they actually have any grasp of who they are and structuring peoples' lives in a way to make dysfunctional relationships. So it's a nasty marine in joke with less bad commentary most of the time.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

majormonotone posted:

Yeah, I've never understood those! Why would you marry (and stay married to) someone who caused you nothing but misery and unhappiness? Even if kids are involved, being raised by divorced parents is much less damaging than growing up in a warren. Granted I've only been married for three years so maybe we'll wake up hating each other one day, who knows.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Alacron posted:

What's wrong? These are great man

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Did you know! No fault divorce first was a thing in the united states in 1970. Before then you had to go to a judge and sue for the right to not be married anymore. And the Judge would probably tell you to suck it up and go back to your home together. Think how many marriages end in divorce today, okay, and now imagine none of them were legally allowed to divorce. For hundreds of years only ending in the loving nineteen-seventies.

So like all of culture has both said "you must get married or you are a bullshit human being" and also "welp, you're stuck with her, buddy" and then just kept going from sheer momentum even though anyone can divorce any time they want to now. I mean cartoons and mario kart still have you slipping on a banana peel and that was a joke from the music hall days a hundred goddamn years ago. Like someone was like "I really like riding the buggy whips around our fair city and wow there sure are a lot of banana peels on the street this summer huh-whoops!" and did slapstick on stage and now that is permanently a joke that literally every human being who has seen television understands even though we haven't had banana peels just lying around to slip on for like a hundred goddamn years and if you ever actually tried to slip on a banana peel you'd move like one inch and stop so it doesn't even make sense in and of itself if there WERE banana peels lying around.

Time and common sense can't kill the banana peel joke. The unhappy in marriage joke makes sense from the pre-divorce days and will continue forever because of impetus.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Interestingly, that is an artifact of European culture - a lot of other cultures around the world traditionally allow for extremely easy divorce. (And others don't.) It's a pretty neat comparison to look into.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

frajaq posted:

What's wrong? These are great man

Aside from being grotesque (like Delonas on a good day gnarly) I'm wary on any joke that relies entirely on "lol ugly bitches" or "lol fat chicks" for it's humor.

RoanHorse
Dec 12, 2013

The one time Terminal Lance went 'too far' with the dependents joke was when he turned the strips setting into a zombie apocalypse setting for a while, where women would be after the characters' benefits cards (as opposed to their brains). It was lowkey misogyny with no after-everybody-leaves commentary to justify it. That was early in the strip's creation, and things have gotten way better since then.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Krinkle posted:

Did you know! No fault divorce first was a thing in the united states in 1970. Before then you had to go to a judge and sue for the right to not be married anymore. And the Judge would probably tell you to suck it up and go back to your home together. Think how many marriages end in divorce today, okay, and now imagine none of them were legally allowed to divorce. For hundreds of years only ending in the loving nineteen-seventies.

So like all of culture has both said "you must get married or you are a bullshit human being" and also "welp, you're stuck with her, buddy" and then just kept going from sheer momentum even though anyone can divorce any time they want to now. I mean cartoons and mario kart still have you slipping on a banana peel and that was a joke from the music hall days a hundred goddamn years ago. Like someone was like "I really like riding the buggy whips around our fair city and wow there sure are a lot of banana peels on the street this summer huh-whoops!" and did slapstick on stage and now that is permanently a joke that literally every human being who has seen television understands even though we haven't had banana peels just lying around to slip on for like a hundred goddamn years and if you ever actually tried to slip on a banana peel you'd move like one inch and stop so it doesn't even make sense in and of itself if there WERE banana peels lying around.

Time and common sense can't kill the banana peel joke. The unhappy in marriage joke makes sense from the pre-divorce days and will continue forever because of impetus.

Supposedly slipping on a banana peel is code vaudeville invented for slipping on horseshit. This bit of trivia may also be the product of horseshit.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

making bad relationship decisions is def not a straight only thing buddy

I know that, I was just talking about the whole marriage culture/public perception of marriage as a horrible trap that will ruin your life

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Gotta say that even as a pinko leftie I love Terminal Lance, but yeah he can be a bit disconcerting at times.

Max is also a pinko leftie. He had a really tasteful post after Caitlyn Jenner came out about his brother (formerly sister).

Dependa bashing is pretty stupid at times but good lord are some military wives insufferable.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

there wolf posted:

Supposedly slipping on a banana peel is code vaudeville invented for slipping on horseshit. This bit of trivia may also be the product of horseshit.

I'm glad I changed steam locomotive to buggy whip at the last second then.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

:jerkbag:

God forbid a man doesn't have a beard that raccoons can nest in and he hasn't stalked, killed, skinned and cooked his breakfast over an open fire. That would be just unmanly.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Alacron posted:

Aside from being grotesque (like Delonas on a good day gnarly) I'm wary on any joke that relies entirely on "lol ugly bitches" or "lol fat chicks" for it's humor.

No it doesn't, it's making fun of a common experience for many military people where their spouses do the whole 'toughest job in the military' thing where they act like entitled jerks because they're married to someone in the military. It's a joke on people who, while sitting around at home all day, act like they're struggling just as much as their spouse doing the whole 'trying to not get shot' thing. Like, it's not the most graceful joke if you've never encountered people like that, but he's not going "ARG WOMEN" he's making fun of a very specific group of people who, honestly, are real lovely.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Others may disagree but Muir's portrayal of Judge Roberts is my favorite Muir-ism. He sees his political opponent as unmanly for no reason other than voting a way he doesn't like, and that paints a clearer picture of Muir's inner psyche than anything else he's made :magical:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Man, after the first time SCOTUS confirmed Obamacare Muir just drew Roberts not getting any from his wife due to not being sufficiently conservative. Not that it's a surprise he went for full-on crossdressing jokes, I'm actually just kind of surprised in retrospect that he didn't do it before.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Stupid post. Ignore it.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Klaus88 posted:

:jerkbag:

God forbid a man doesn't have a beard that raccoons can nest in and he hasn't stalked, killed, skinned and cooked his breakfast over an open fire. That would be just unmanly.

I can't comprehend how these people see the role of SCOTUS. Every time they bitch about unelected people setting laws I think 'yes, and?'

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Also, the "dependapotomus" is a two-way street. The people in these specific kinds of military marriages are servicemembers who are trying to game the system, because by getting married they get more money, better living conditions, and a few other benefits. So there's a big element of schadenfreude in there too, "People who try and cheat the system are going to end up with lovely spouses." Plus, when you're marrying someone just for the benefits, even when things get bad you're going to stick with them anyway because divorcing loses you all those goodies.

It all contributes to a very real culture where there's a sizeable number of lovely people gaming the system, and everyone else jokes about it. For people that aren't in or aware of that culture, it can easily be seen as just woman-bashing. And while the dependapotomus is almost always a woman, that's just a byproduct of the fact that the military is overwhelmingly male. Less than 15% of service members are female, not to mention the fact that the author of Terminal Lance was an assaultmen and women are still barred from active combat positions. (Or they were when he was in the corps, I think since last year women can technically train to be assaultmen.)

Either way, it's very much a product of its environment and that context seems to be lost on some of the posters in this thread.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

DarklyDreaming posted:

Others may disagree but Muir's portrayal of Judge Roberts is my favorite Muir-ism. He sees his political opponent as unmanly for no reason other than voting a way he doesn't like, and that paints a clearer picture of Muir's inner psyche than anything else he's made :magical:

In many ways it's not even voting wrong, it's also voting right for the wrong reasons.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Captain Bravo posted:

Also, the "dependapotomus" is a two-way street. The people in these specific kinds of military marriages are servicemembers who are trying to game the system, because by getting married they get more money, better living conditions, and a few other benefits. So there's a big element of schadenfreude in there too, "People who try and cheat the system are going to end up with lovely spouses." Plus, when you're marrying someone just for the benefits, even when things get bad you're going to stick with them anyway because divorcing loses you all those goodies.

It all contributes to a very real culture where there's a sizeable number of lovely people gaming the system, and everyone else jokes about it. For people that aren't in or aware of that culture, it can easily be seen as just woman-bashing. And while the dependapotomus is almost always a woman, that's just a byproduct of the fact that the military is overwhelmingly male. Less than 15% of service members are female, not to mention the fact that the author of Terminal Lance was an assaultmen and women are still barred from active combat positions. (Or they were when he was in the corps, I think since last year women can technically train to be assaultmen.)

Either way, it's very much a product of its environment and that context seems to be lost on some of the posters in this thread.

Yea one of my friends the other day was bitching about one of those and it was a dude who didn't do jack poo poo while his wife was, I wanna say a medic or something else that falls in the 'doing actual big person work while you chill on the sofa' field. I'm sure there are plenty of lovely dudes who use it as a way to be all 'ugh fuckin women am I right' but the term itself is a general 'gently caress these people' that just happens to involve mainly women due to demographics of where it's used.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

TK-42-1 posted:

I can't comprehend how these people see the role of SCOTUS. Every time they bitch about unelected people setting laws I think 'yes, and?'

It cracks me up, and I'm probably inadverdantly ripping off John Stewart, but
They only want it to be a State's Issue when the state government agrees with them.

I can all but guarantee that, if by some plot-device happenstance, some red state banned guns through some obscure law they had on the books, all these people crying about state's rights would be lining up to beg SCOTUS to overturn it for them.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Tatum Girlparts posted:

No it doesn't, it's making fun of a common experience for many military people where their spouses do the whole 'toughest job in the military' thing where they act like entitled jerks because they're married to someone in the military. It's a joke on people who, while sitting around at home all day, act like they're struggling just as much as their spouse doing the whole 'trying to not get shot' thing. Like, it's not the most graceful joke if you've never encountered people like that, but he's not going "ARG WOMEN" he's making fun of a very specific group of people who, honestly, are real lovely.

I'll freely admit that I'm probably missing some context, but this cartoon in particular

does not make a good first impression.

I mean, as an outside observer it doesn't seem all that different from when Ramirez or McCoy draws a generic "thug" black person. If called on it they'd probably say the same thing, "I know not all black people are like that, I'm just making fun of the bad ones you know?"

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Al-Saqr posted:

Everett True is pretty awesome.

Mrs. True is the best :allears:

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

That's not parody, is it...

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Jerusalem posted:

Mrs. True is the best :allears:

There's one I couldn't find where he makes some trivial complaint to a reasonable request of hers, something like "don't wear your shoes in the house when you've just come from the garden," and in the second panel Everett is flying out the front door looking like a remorseful late-Edwardian katamari. It's a pity I can't find that one to share.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Chasterson posted:

Yeah I thought that guy might be some sort of artist or something until I clicked on a link to his vimeo page https://vimeo.com/hooray4jesus/videos/.

I was hoping he/she would be reading out the bible verses, but nope it's multiple speech to text voices and is pretty great.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

majormonotone posted:

I know that, I was just talking about the whole marriage culture/public perception of marriage as a horrible trap that will ruin your life
Keep in mind that marriage being a voluntary thing where you pick your partner(s) on your own terms is, relatively speaking, a fairly recent concept. For centuries it literally was a horrible trap plotted by your family.

Also, part of it is a tongue in cheek thing since no relationship is perfect, but for McCoy and company it's mostly sour grapes over losing the gay marriage debate. Well, marriage isn't even that great to begin with!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

xthetenth posted:

He usually accompanies those and other ones about messed up relationships with rants about how marines and their significant others are pressured by the system into marrying before they actually have any grasp of who they are and structuring peoples' lives in a way to make dysfunctional relationships. So it's a nasty marine in joke with less bad commentary most of the time.

Sir Rolo
Oct 16, 2012

What the hell is this trace-job, Muir?

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
:allears: Sure, it's anti-intellectual and kind of dumb, but that's an actual joke, Tinsley, and it might even be funny following further spectroscopic analysis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Tonk posted:

That's not parody, is it...

No its not, it does start to imitate parody near the end.
Would you like to know more?
I wonder what Tinsleys reaction to Charleston will be, being that its two weeks between illustrating and printing.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Jun 29, 2015

• Locked thread