Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

My facts go deeper than "pure PR talk". I've been a diehard gamer since my father forced an NES controller into my babe-hands and screamed, "level up!" Fact: You can profile all of these developers just like serial killers, and once you know how they tick, it's simply a matter of reading between the lines. When it comes down to it, you'd lose sleep if you discovered just how thin the line is that separates T. Howard from a person like Joseph Fritzl.

Fact: It's all gonna be a goddamned Monster Brew. Just you wait.

Will you drink it?

I'm going to pour it into my mouth until it overflows because I can't swallow fast enough

I'll let it pour down into my throat while I struggle for air, I'll swallow the delicious monster brew in between short intakes of air.

Because I know the game will be tolerable, and that the existing criticism is mostly aimed against made up issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Quarex posted:

Wait, I am confused. I came here expecting everyone else to be talking about how, knowing that the Pip-Boy has some in-game functionality and is also being released in limited numbers, there are functionally only a few thousand people in the world who will actually be playing the full game. Or maybe they got that out of the way by page 90.

Anyway, just to get the conversation re-started, I have kind of started losing interest in even playing Fallout 4 knowing this. Though I suppose if the "in-game functionality" is indeed entirely in quotes for the final release too, then it will not be such a big deal. But like...sorry, if the collector's edition is the real edition, then why would I want the abridged version?

...there's a phone app that just lets you access the pipboy interface from the game you can access by hitting tab. You can even use it on your phone without putting it inside the Pipboy. That's probably why no one is talking about that. How can you possibly be that dumb? :downs:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

big mean giraffe posted:

...there's a phone app that just lets you access the pipboy interface from the game you can access by hitting tab. You can even use it on your phone without putting it inside the Pipboy. That's probably why no one is talking about that. How can you possibly be that dumb? :downs:

I don't think it's being dumb, what he said sounds plausible in an age where developers actually do put dumb tablet or smartphone functionality in their games and lock you out of features if you don't own a tablet or smartphone. GTA V had the iFruit thing, Dead Rising 3 had smartphone features (only on consoles, on PC they just stripped it out of the game so you miss out on a lot of story and flavor text, and some gameplay features).

But that aside, it's clear from the E3 demonstration that the "Pip-Boy" is literally a plastic toy case for your own personal phone, and that the Pip-Boy app doesn't do anything that you can't already do from hitting tab to bring up the in-game Pip-Boy.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

King Vidiot posted:

I don't think it's being dumb, what he said sounds plausible in an age where developers actually do put dumb tablet or smartphone functionality in their games and lock you out of features if you don't own a tablet or smartphone. GTA V had the iFruit thing, Dead Rising 3 had smartphone features (only on consoles, on PC they just stripped it out of the game so you miss out on a lot of story and flavor text, and some gameplay features).

But that aside, it's clear from the E3 demonstration that the "Pip-Boy" is literally a plastic toy case for your own personal phone, and that the Pip-Boy app doesn't do anything that you can't already do from hitting tab to bring up the in-game Pip-Boy.

No, it's really dumb if you ignore the very few things they've said about it and form an opinion on things you made up.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Lotta folks saying there isn't enough information yet to judge, but given they made a creative decision as dumb as voiced protagonists.......................u can kind of extrapolate

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

That is as devastating to me as when I saw that I was out of cookies this morning.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Man Whore posted:

That is as devastating to me as when I saw that I was out of cookies this morning.

You still eat cookies? I stopped buying them because they're bland as hell and come out of the package half broken. Now let me make fifty posts in the cookie thread about my lack of desire to enjoy cookies because I have nothing better to do with my sad life.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
If you have a life that is not sad and lots of worthwhile things to do you wouldn't be playing video games at all.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I, too, wish we could go back to simpler times where protagonists didn't speak, movies still used inter-title cards and kids stayed the hell off my lawn.

Actually, having everyone run around and wildly gesticulate in complete silence while some ragtime music played would be pretty sweet. And why stop at removing the PC's voice? Remove all the dialogue too and you can just piece together some random story yourself. Every play though would be a new experience.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Tony Shaloub voicing all characters. The player, the women, the children. All of them, save the villain, who is a ghoulified Cree Summer. Not Tandi, Cree.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

jfood posted:

Tony Shaloub voicing all characters. The player, the women, the children. All of them, save the villain, who is a ghoulified Cree Summer. Not Tandi, Cree.

This but Bobcat Goldthwait and Gilbert Gottfried.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Todd Howard presents: about 40 hours of brian blessed shouting at himself, thanks to radiant AI

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

This but Bobcat Goldthwait and Gilbert Gottfried.

If Three Dawg was replaced with the Gilbert Gottfriend Power Hour, Fallout 3 would be a radically different, much better game.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Die Laughing posted:

You still eat cookies? I stopped buying them because they're bland as hell and come out of the package half broken. Now let me make fifty posts in the cookie thread about my lack of desire to enjoy cookies because I have nothing better to do with my sad life.

Have you tried substituting the shortening in the recipe for fruit paste? You can make really good Halloween cookies simply by using canned pumpkin in a basic chocolate chip recipe, they come out orange. I've tried a wide variety of fruit pastes: apples, carrots, pumpkin, dates, I can't recommend citrus since the pulp is a bit too watery and cookies made with blended pineapple come out leathery.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Die Laughing posted:

Well let me ask you, let me ask you Die Laughing--have you tried just boiling a pot of water and throwing in all sorts of garbage that can be found in the typical kitchen and then asking your community to help define them as newer, better cookies?

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

It's going to be terrible when the game actually releases and we're stuck talking about how lovely the vanilla game and newly sanitized G.E.C.K. are. :(

*BUT* it does make me hyped as gently caress for Brew Crew: New Vegas, which consolidates combat and skill checks into one penile/labial slinging perk tree. :getin:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Quarex posted:

Wait, I am confused. I came here expecting everyone else to be talking about how, knowing that the Pip-Boy has some in-game functionality and is also being released in limited numbers, there are functionally only a few thousand people in the world who will actually be playing the full game. Or maybe they got that out of the way by page 90.

Anyway, just to get the conversation re-started, I have kind of started losing interest in even playing Fallout 4 knowing this. Though I suppose if the "in-game functionality" is indeed entirely in quotes for the final release too, then it will not be such a big deal. But like...sorry, if the collector's edition is the real edition, then why would I want the abridged version?

The pipboy collectors thing has ZERO functionality. Your smartphone you shove into it does, but more then a few 1000 people get to use that. (Read everyone)

So you misunderstood what you were seeing? Unless the 60$ hunk of plastic to hold your phone on your arm is a dealbreaker.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
I can't wait until September when we actually have something to talk about like potential system requirements.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Crabtree posted:

I can't wait until September when we actually have something to talk about like potential system requirements.

I'm dreading this cuz my PC is poo poo :negative: I'm always ok with reducing graphics but I'm still scared after seeing the trailers

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Crabtree posted:

Well, we're already aware that no known hardware will be able to run the game at a cool, confident 60 FPS due to the lack of occlusion culling. For those who don't know, occlusion culling is a rendering technique where the game skips rendering certain things because the player isn't able to see them; it saves significantly on processing power because the player might be (reasonably) able to see only a quarter of the environment around them. Going all the way back to TES: Arena, occlusion culling has been absent from Bethesda's games--initially because it didn't exist, and then because T. Howard found it to be diametrically opposed to Bethesda's ideologies (starting with Morrowind).

"If we take the idea that we're building a world for the player to explore, it seems ridiculous to implement a technology that hides this fantastic world from the player. Where would they go? What would happen if the player looks over their shoulder real fast and finds that there's nothing there? I'm of the opinion that these things--these rich places and characters and stories--should exist whether or not the player happens to be looking at them. They're living things."

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well, we're already aware that no known hardware will be able to run the game at a cool, confident 60 FPS due to the lack of occlusion culling. For those who don't know, occlusion culling is a rendering technique where the game skips rendering certain things because the player isn't able to see them; it saves significantly on processing power because the player might be (reasonably) able to see only a quarter of the environment around them. Going all the way back to TES: Arena, occlusion culling has been absent from Bethesda's games--initially because it didn't exist, and then because T. Howard found it to be diametrically opposed to Bethesda's ideologies (starting with Morrowind).

"If we take the idea that we're building a world for the player to explore, it seems ridiculous to implement a technology that hides this fantastic world from the player. Where would they go? What would happen if the player looks over their shoulder real fast and finds that there's nothing there? I'm of the opinion that these things--these rich places and characters and stories--should exist whether or not the player happens to be looking at them. They're living things."

Isn't there a massive amount of fog in vanilla Morrowind and when you remove it you can see that the towns aren't actually that far apart?

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I would bet dollars to donuts that a 970 will run it just fine. Has any game out even used that as recommended yet? Pretty sure 770 is the highest I've seen in that spot.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm upgrading for the Witcher 3 and there's like zero chance fallout 4 will be more burdensome than that. If you're worrying about system requirements you basically have five months to just target something modern that's in your budget for a gpu and cpu. It's not super difficult to outclass ps4/xbone hardware and that's what the game is going to be optimized for.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

I've implied this with my dream of being the alpha dad of the wasteland, but I hope there's a perk that changes certain dialogue options into Dad Jokes/Mom Jokes.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Please help me, I'm dying! Do you have any radroach antidote!?
code:

Hello dying, I'm Dad.
            (Y)
Here ya go(X) (B)sure...for a price
            (A)
         GET FOOD

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Well let me ask you, let me ask you Die Laughing--have you tried just boiling a pot of water and throwing in all sorts of garbage that can be found in the typical kitchen and then asking your community to help define them as newer, better cookies?

I like wearing power armor and fighting Deathclaws. I also like dogs.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Quarex posted:

Todd Howard described it himself pretty much perfectly. "It's a dumb gimmick, but I think it's the coolest dumbest gimmick I've seen for a preorder."

It uses whatever smartphone you already own (heck, from what it looks to me, it might not accept anything but iPhones, so I'm not tempted to get it for that reason) and I'm sure you can get less cumbersome things you can attach your phone to your wrist with and use the app to interact with the game.

I mean, of all the gimmicks for a game, this is the kind of stuff I'll play around it for 20 hours before putting it off and try to just make it a tap of a button.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Will you help me?

code:
                                 Yes
                                  (Y)
           Of course I will     (X) (B)  I'll do it. For a price..
                                  (A)
                       How could I refuse?

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Will you help me?

code:
                                 Yes
                                  (Y)
           Of course I will     (X) (B)  I'll do it. For a price..
                                  (A)
                       How could I refuse?

Oh man, the "for a price" options are always the worst. I get that some people want to be a cool mercenary type, but having one line of dialog where people say "uh, I do have a little money set aside..." and then shunting you back onto the goody-two-shoes questline is such a lazy way to do it. It's all so perfunctory. I'm saving your brother from monsters because it's a quest and it has loot, not because you're offering me the change in your sock drawer, but I guess we'll just keep pretending.

Flaky
Feb 14, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Lotish posted:

It's virtually impossible to use the traps skill offensively, but you're strongly encouraged to keep at least one trapper around to remove enemy mines and booby-traps. It'll also make you rich selling explosives. Outdoorsman gives you control over your encounter rate and what you'll face, and this game can have an extremely high encounter rate.

Does anyone else wish they would implement a decent trap system? Of the original gameplay mechanics, they feel like they would translate the best to open world gameplay, but they don't really get enough love. I was constantly tripping the grenade tripwires and landmines in F3, mostly to hilarious effect even if they invariably require save-scumming to avoid. The tradeoff still feels worth it by creating tension and rewarding caution. It also could be made to tie in well to various slavery mechanics which would be cool. It would be nice if they could be made to cooperate with VATS too.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Mordaedil posted:

Todd Howard described it himself pretty much perfectly. "It's a dumb gimmick, but I think it's the coolest dumbest gimmick I've seen for a preorder."

It uses whatever smartphone you already own (heck, from what it looks to me, it might not accept anything but iPhones, so I'm not tempted to get it for that reason) and I'm sure you can get less cumbersome things you can attach your phone to your wrist with and use the app to interact with the game.

I mean, of all the gimmicks for a game, this is the kind of stuff I'll play around it for 20 hours before putting it off and try to just make it a tap of a button.

According to BethBlog the Pip Boy apparently will fit the following phones:

Smart Phone Compatibility
We have new information on the phones compatible with the Pip-Boy Edition. The Pip-Boy included will have foam inserts that fit iPhone 6, iPhone 5/5s, iPhone 4/4S, Samsung Galaxy 5, and Samsung Galaxy 4. In addition, using the customizable foam insert you should be able to fit most other popular smartphone devices. As we wanted to stay faithful to the dimensions of the in-game model, any smartphones larger than the models listed will not fit inside the wearable device. For these larger devices, our Pip-Boy companion app will still be available.

So any phones of that size will likely fit. I'm sure you could also jury rig something to make it fit other phones if you had the time.

You can also just leave it on the stand instead of trying to wear it while you play the game. Seriously, it looks like you could do a lot of damage to your wrist if you tried to wear it and use your keyboard or rest your arm on anything for very long.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Flaky posted:

Does anyone else wish they would implement a decent trap system?

They had a decent trap system in Fallout 3. The AI was stupid as gently caress, it was really easy to get waves of enemies to run into mine fields with a bit of prep time.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I've had fun backpedalling from deathclaws and leading them through my minefields, yeah.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

steinrokkan posted:

I'm going to pour it into my mouth until it overflows because I can't swallow fast enough

I'll let it pour down into my throat while I struggle for air, I'll swallow the delicious monster brew in between short intakes of air.

Hell yeah!!

My hopes are that the leveling/perk/skill/whatever system works at least as well as Skyrim's, which was good enough for me, and that the crafting system, both in terms of weapons and settlements, is broken in the "I accidentally made a gun which blows people so far away, you can't collect their loot anymore" way, and not in the "Somehow I ended up with a permanent nailbat in my inventory with a broken image, which when I equip makes me level 50 and makes 9 quests impossible to complete" way.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Bicyclops posted:

Hell yeah!!

My hopes are that the leveling/perk/skill/whatever system works at least as well as Skyrim's, which was good enough for me, and that the crafting system, both in terms of weapons and settlements, is broken in the "I accidentally made a gun which blows people so far away, you can't collect their loot anymore" way, and not in the "Somehow I ended up with a permanent nailbat in my inventory with a broken image, which when I equip makes me level 50 and makes 9 quests impossible to complete" way.

Eh, I hope they improved from Skyrim. That made superpowered monsters show up no matter what skill you happened to be leveling. It also didn't work well at all for magic since spell effects were static numbers and skill points only let you buy stronger ones that almost never had good enough effects to make up for the expanded cost.

I don't want to be eaten alive by Super Mutant Overlords because I spent too much time playing with crafting again.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Well, yeah, I hope they improve on Skyrim's a little too (and spells are definitely one of its weaknesses; my number one thing to hope for with Elder Scrolls VI is that spellcrafting comes back, because Destruction magic is based around thresholds, and the way it works is that you're super-overpowered once you get the expert ones to function and then gradually become weak, because the master level ones were bad).

I do think the "get owned by creatures because you made money by leveling alchemy thing" is rarer than people make it out to be, though. The only easy way to properly screw yourself is with pickpocket, since it levels very, very fast, but even then, most builds that pick pockets are also going to have the 30x sneak attack, so...

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Skyrims leveling did not work for non-combat skills well. Crafting was ridiculous to get to high levels until you figured out/looked up iron knife crafting to get infinite money and high level crafting. I liked the lock picking where you were allowed to throw a ton of picks at a master lock. But can you imagine a skyrim style persuasion? Sorry, cant persuade this guy, you didnt talk to enough people in the right order to level up first.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The mod that makes it so you automatically get the perks for 24/50/75/100 skill is really good and way better than the way it is normally.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Pwnstar posted:

The mod that makes it so you automatically get the perks for 24/50/75/100 skill is really good and way better than the way it is normally.

That would make you WAYYYY too powerful IMO, unless it adjust the level up for things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Bicyclops posted:

That would make you WAYYYY too powerful IMO, unless it adjust the level up for things.
You get perks every two levels instead of one with SPERG so it's balanced out.

• Locked thread