Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

axeil posted:

I was more confused by there being what looked like a Geiger counter in the bathroom. What the gently caress was this city manager up to?

The mystery isn't as immediately gripping as season one but I think this episode put aside any of my fears from last week.

I believe that was a webcam of some sort focused on the sex swing. The sound we heard was the sound of a lens focusing, like the sound that a digital camera makes when you boot it up and it sets up its focus.

Also, lol at the guy last week angrily saying it's ridiculous to think that Kitsch's character might be gay, and then going on with his theory about how he fucks his motorcycle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
IMDB says hes slated for 8 episodes

so gently caress that

cmon Ray, dont never give up!!!1

i have no reason to watch either if hes no longer around

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

Also, lol at the guy last week angrily saying it's ridiculous to think that Kitsch's character might be gay, and then going on with his theory about how he fucks his motorcycle.

Link. Now!

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Lastgirl posted:

so gently caress that

The bolo tie deflected most of the shotgun pellets. It had to!

Wylo
Jan 24, 2007

Are you ready to get pumped?

Lastgirl posted:

so gently caress that

Ray's fine, the bird mask was to signify that he was only packing birdshot :colbert:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Sickening posted:

Those were computer sounds.

Well poo poo. That's way less exciting.

OldTennisCourt posted:

Is that was that thing was? I thought it was an audio recorder at first but you're right that it did have a weird crackle noise to it.

I feel like that cult that McAdam's dad runs has to be pretty important to the whole story in some way

Maybe it'll be a creepy cult doing the murders again! :haw:

Honestly I hope this season gets all the crazy speculation going like the last one did. I got into True Detective after it ended so I missed out on all the "Who is the Yellow King?" stuff.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Killer would be quite the dipshit if he intended to kill Ray and didn't shoot him in the face.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
I seriously doubt IMBD lies and the next 6 episodes have something to do with velcoro flashbacks or pictures of his corpse.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Having Velcoro live through that because he was wearing a vest doesn't make much sense to me. Apart from the fact that, at that range, a shotgun blast would still do a lot of damage even through a vest, you have to think that someone who's already killed two people while wearing a crow mask is going to confirm the kill. But, hey, maybe I'm wrong. I can see him coming back through flashback.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Pretty solid episode. Really loving the mishmash of neo-noir stuff here- like Chinatown meets something like Collateral.

murex
Apr 30, 2009

by Lowtax
If you watch the preview for the next episode they say he is dead. IMDB LIED.

SneakySneaks
Feb 11, 2006

lawfare posted:

If you watch the preview for the next episode they say he is dead. IMDB LIED.

I think they said shot, not killed.

Minnesota Manatee
Aug 28, 2009

The preview said that he was shot, not killed.

I expect he'll just be hosed up for an episode or two. I also expect that he'll have been left alive to send a message or something.

I'm really liking the season so far.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Theres also that teaser shot of him walking with Ani and some cops in SWAT gear. I think Ray is fine.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
the guy says "One of my men get shot, you better believe im on site"

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Solice Kirsk posted:

Spoilers aren't spoilers when the show is already over. Grow up. Also Velcro dies and so does Athena.

I apparently have powers.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Wylo posted:

Ray's fine, the bird mask was to signify that he was only packing birdshot :colbert:

ha probably

its gotta be rock salt, please :'c

Ray also needs more bolo ties

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

I remember in season 1 when matthew mcconaughey's character would say weird bullshit and woody harrelson would make fun of him for it or tell him to shut up.

The problem with season 2 so far is that everyone talks like matthew mcconaughey and there's no harrelson to balance that.

HOT SQUATS
Sep 24, 2006

How all the DJ's cut
How all the DJ's cut
Cut me a slice of your track now

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I legit don't know what would be worse writing, to be honest. Sudden murder of one of the only decent characters purely to establish a bad guy or having a scene where we watch him get gutshot twice with a shotgun be a total fakeout just because they needed a cliffhanger. Like, I guess I hope it's B because it means he's not dead?

Yeah, whether he lives or dies, I'm still going to feel kind of cheated.

I could see it going both ways. This episode was all about Velcoro having to acknowledge that he's part of a corrupt system that he can never escape and he has nothing left to live for. Having him die at the end would be a fitting end to his story arc. On the other hand I think he has a bunch of scenes in the trailers and promotional stills that haven't happened yet

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yeah AV club your credbility is gone giving happish a b- for anything much less the same score as True Detective.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm looking forward to seeing Hotline Miami man brutally killing each of this season's protagonists.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Verisimilidude posted:

I remember in season 1 when matthew mcconaughey's character would say weird bullshit and woody harrelson would make fun of him for it or tell him to shut up.

The problem with season 2 so far is that everyone talks like matthew mcconaughey and there's no harrelson to balance that.

Yea I think this is my issue. The good poo poo in season 1 was when McConaughey would go on some stupid ramble and Harrelson just smirked at him or told him he needs to stop talking before he gets punched in the mouth. It was a realistic feeling interaction between a guy who's a bit unhinged and a normalish guy who's a dick. Now everyone's trying to out-creepy eachother and there's no one saying 'oh my god shut up and pretend to be a functioning human'.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Verisimilidude posted:

theyre all hosed up

but its actually Frank who tells Ray to knock it off and cut the poo poo. So you see the relationship isn't that great, its something Frank has Ray's balls in a vice and he's definitely tied straight to the upper echelons. Vinci is filthy as gently caress.

but it isn't chummy though at all. its all like we all are watching our own loving back so we can find some redemption atm, plus Ray and Ani are awkward and guarded with each other, they're testing each other out.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
There is a possibility that Ray is alive but isn't trusting IMDB about the same as trusting Wikipedia?

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Roman Reigns posted:

The bolo tie deflected most of the shotgun pellets. It had to!

He wasn't wearing one this episode.

Tie theory confirmed?

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

blablablabla posted:

Hell episode 1-3 were slow as gently caress in s1

I agree, not much of anything happened until then. I was urging people to hang on, then Reggie LeDoux shows up and there's a huge gunfight in a housing project.

denzelcurrypower
Jan 28, 2011
Pretty interesting episode, but I have to say I was bummed to see that Velcoro is dead (unless the show pulled a dumb trick on the audience). The dark atmosphere of the city worked a bit better in this episode I think, didn't feel as forced as the many highway shots in episode 1. Writing feels a bit heavy handed compared to last season, but I dig the mood and the acting is mostly on point. This season should be an enjoyable watch.

Also, that psychiatrist is definitely involved in the bird mask sex/killing cult, along with obviously the cops father.

denzelcurrypower fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jun 29, 2015

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
E3+ spoilers

Unless they've gone to the same extent Paranormal Activity 3's trailers did and filmed fake poo poo to trick us, Ray is definitely alive.

There are various promo shots of him running around in body armor with the other protagonists and a bunch of other cops.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Zombies' Downfall posted:

E3+ spoilers

Unless they've gone to the same extent Paranormal Activity 3's trailers did and filmed fake poo poo to trick us, Ray is definitely alive.

There are various promo shots of him running around in body armor with the other protagonists and a bunch of other cops.

TV guide's synopsis of ep3 seems to confirm that Ray is alive.

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

not a trace of injury. what a lame fakeout

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
OMG Vaughn shut the gently caress up I hate the lose up of his so much.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Doesn't the opening to the first episode indicate he's alive? Wasn't that a flash forward? Most likely the shotgun was loaded with bean bags or some other non-lethal ammo.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seems like if you were going to shoot a dude in the belly with a shotgun then you would probably notice if the belly-shot didn't leave him bleeding out. I've never actually had to shoot a dude in the belly though so maybe I am missing something here.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Jose Oquendo posted:

Doesn't the opening to the first episode indicate he's alive? Wasn't that a flash forward? Most likely the shotgun was loaded with bean bags or some other non-lethal ammo.

That was a flashback, which is why they're all in young-age makeup and they're talking about his wife's rape (which occurs before the series).

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

thats what i thought seeing as how hes in future episodes. rock salt or something

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Birdman must've shot the dick off of perv guy with rock salt too then, it's all he carries!

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Blue Raider posted:

thats what i thought seeing as how hes in future episodes. rock salt or something

Let's hope he learned how to do that kung fu 2 inch punch or he's never getting out of that coffin :ohdear:

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Vince Vaughn is definitely the weak link here. I hope Ray isn't dead since he's the most interesting and well acted character so far.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I didn't watch the first half so I had to go to HBO Go, but the psychiatrist is ringing all kinds of bells for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
How dumb do you have to be to think the show killed off its lead character in episode 2?

• Locked thread