Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

That's an Eocene bird on the right, perhaps technically a dinosaur but 60 million years after the Jurassic. :spergin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Found on my twitter

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

The iRex doesn't know poo poo and is trying to figure out her place in the world, but she speaks fluent Raptor?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Sierra Nevadan posted:

The iRex doesn't know poo poo and is trying to figure out her place in the world, but she speaks fluent Raptor?

It's doubtful that the raptors and the I-Rex are speaking a language one way or another, the I-Rex and the raptors have a mutual sense that the other guy is One of Us by its calls.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
saw it last night. definitely worth it. the last act ruled.

welp thats my jurassic world review thanks for having me.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007
I see a lot of people complaining about how the assistant's death was unwarranted, overdone, etc.

How is it not just a callback to Eddie Carr's death? That's the only thing I could think when I saw it: it's an over the top reference to the Lost World. Do people just not remember that movie or is there something I'm missing?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Eddie was at least trying to do something useful in the face of imminent death.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Eddie was at least trying to do something useful in the face of imminent death.

Zara actively put herself in danger to try and corral those kids away from the open areas.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005
This movie is trash.

Why would big raptor dude chat with small raptors when they said it killed it's sibling because it was so antisocial.

One of many things wrong with this horrid movie.

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010

Regulus74 posted:

I see a lot of people complaining about how the assistant's death was unwarranted, overdone, etc.

How is it not just a callback to Eddie Carr's death? That's the only thing I could think when I saw it: it's an over the top reference to the Lost World. Do people just not remember that movie or is there something I'm missing?

Eddie's death was a holy poo poo moment highlighting the fact that The Lost World had two T-Rexes. Plus he was a genuinely sympathetic character and it underscored the tension of the trailers-falling-off-the-cliff sequence.

Zara's death just feels like it was from a completely different draft of the script where she was either a hell of a lot less likable or downright villainous. If we're being generous I guess you could say it reminds the audience that the Mososaurus exists.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I think I would have disliked that scene more if I had grown fond of the character, but she's barely sketched so instead it just felt like a weird focus.

Regulus74
Jul 26, 2007

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

Eddie's death was a holy poo poo moment highlighting the fact that The Lost World had two T-Rexes. Plus he was a genuinely sympathetic character and it underscored the tension of the trailers-falling-off-the-cliff sequence.

I don't have enough faith in the people who made JW to take anything away from that scene less shallow than "two monsters eat someone," which is exactly what Zara's death is, only taken way over the top like everything else in the movie. "You know what's even crazier than two monsters eating someone? THREE monsters eating someone! And they're all new monsters too!!"

The setpieces are the top and often only priority in JW and when you look at it that way (i.e. "what is the action in this scene?") it parallels Eddie's death with absolutely none of the characterization or buildup to contextualize it in the same way because JW makes no effort to deal with such pretense. I would really like to see the various drafts of this script compared to what we got.

The movie seriously felt more like Clive Cussler than Michael Crichton.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I feel like Zara's death would have worked as a 'holy poo poo every can and is having horrible things happen, not just villains!' moment if the kids had been traumatised by watching her get carried off and thrown around for at least a moment.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

King Crab posted:

I liked the guy who ran off with his margarita's when the Pteradons attacked. Godspeed Margarita Man.

I started laughing at that part and my friends looked at me confused. I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Margarita Man was indeed a cameo by Jimmy Buffett himself.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Margarita Man was indeed a cameo by Jimmy Buffett himself.

It just makes sense.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Zara's death was cool

Also stuff like this

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Actually, it isn't. If that were the point, they could just cut to random footage of a kitten getting shot in the face or something.

A few of the pterodactyls are deliberately released by the iRex, but the rest are escaping the fire and smoke from the helicopter crash. In other words, they are directly linked to - are essentially born from - Masrani's death. So what does Masrani stand for? His main traits are that he continually drops platitudes, but always maintains a sort of ironic distance that prevents him from following his own advice. (This ties in with the barely-acknowledged theme that half the characters have read Malcolm's book, but keep doing poo poo. Masrani's stated goal is to promote humility.) The birds are also obviously linked to the woman's inability to control both the kids and her fiancé (whose friends are 'a bunch of animals').

And as we know, the pterosaur attack is a Birds reference. We also know that the Mosasaur is a Jaws reference, essentially just a huge consuming mouth. The entire mosasaur pool is just this huge void at centre of the park. The kids were originally watching it 'on the big screen' and, now, the woman's death is intercut with the kids watching. (One part of the shot, where she's struggling to get to the surface, evokes the posters for both Jaws and the original Piranha.) It's also part of the point that the kids don't respect her, and ditch her constantly.

There are a lot of plates to keep spinning to make that scene function.

is trying too hard to connect dots. Just enjoy the movie bro, it's a mindless action flick.

Cole fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jun 29, 2015

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Weren't you the same guy trying to tell people not to think too much about American Sniper?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Weren't you the same guy trying to tell people not to think too much about American Sniper?

Probably, but this is the Jurassic World thread.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mossasaur being fed great whites is pretty LOL when you realise how many are left in the wild and how long they take to mature.

like feeding it more than once a day would make them extinct pretty fast.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pft, clone 'em.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Laserface posted:

Mossasaur being fed great whites is pretty LOL when you realise how many are left in the wild and how long they take to mature.

like feeding it more than once a day would make them extinct pretty fast.

Surely if they can bring dinosaurs back to life, they can bring sharks back to life in the park and and keep great white sharks in stock

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Macaluso posted:

Surely if they can bring dinosaurs back to life, they can bring sharks back to life in the park and and keep great white sharks in stock

Oh My God, we can all eat dodos as often as we like!

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Burkion posted:

I'd like to think they tried a Dodo attractions briefly but no one cares about a bunch of old chickens so they shut it down and ceased Dodo reproduction

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Dodo is better than Chilean Sea Bass.

Duey
Sep 5, 2004

Hi
Nap Ghost
Saw it tonight. It was fun, I mean I get some of the problems with it. (T-Rex and Raptor are apparently bros at the end?) but I thought it was a huge improvement over lost world and JP3. Not quite JP1 but it kind of answered the question of, what would happen if the Dino's got out while the park was open. If anything I wish they would have run with that more.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Regulus74 posted:

Eddie died because he was the guy in charge of all the ridiculous safari equipment that malfunctioned extremely badly. His superpowerful rifle gets snagged in a net, his car offers no protection whatsoever, and so-on. His death is also a self-sacrifice that allows everything to just barely function.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Duey posted:

(T-Rex and Raptor are apparently bros at the end?)

Nah. They're just... I mean the whole thing earlier in the movie was that the I-Rex was killing for sport, unlike other animals that kill for food. The T-Rex and the Raptor were hurt, worn out, and probably not that hungry. Glare at each other a big and then wander off is a pretty realistic reaction.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Burkion posted:

Tangentially related, there's been a Farmville clone called "Jurassic Park Builder" that's been running on iOS and Android since about 2011. A year or so ago they let you open up two new parks in addition to "Jurassic Park", there's an underwater "Aquatic Park" where you can clone a shitton of extinct marine life (Mosasaurus, Ammonite, Helicoprion, Leedsichthys, and a ton I'd never even heard of), and then "Glacier Park" which ostensibly started out as extinct Ice Age animals (Wooly Mammoth, Saber-toothed Tiger) but has ended up being a catch-all park for any extinct animals that don't fit in the other two, including the Dodo.

For a Farmville clone it's surprisingly educational and gives you a bunch of random facts about the animals you clone. The gameplay isn't particularly deep, and thankfully it doesn't grind you into dust via a paywall, but having a T-rex and being able to make it do the signature movie roar every time I tap on it is pretty great. :kiddo:

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

Cole posted:

Zara's death was cool

Also stuff like this

is trying too hard to connect dots. Just enjoy the movie bro, it's a mindless action flick.

A mindless flick only "works" when you don't notice the editing; if it's as sloppy as this, then you can't help but notice it, and then the illusion falls apart. Or you could pay £10+ to sleep in a seat for 2 hours.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Something I noticed on my second viewing was how Blue jumps onto the T-Rex and leaps off it's back to attack the I-Rex. They worked together pretty well for arch-dino-enemies.

I also figured the reason why T-Rex doesn't decide to try and eat Blue at the end was because she remained still and the T-Rex was like, "Hey where did you go? Oh well.." and goes trudging off.

Alucard Nacirema
Apr 22, 2008

by exmarx

Buckwheat Sings posted:

This movie is trash.

Why would big raptor dude chat with small raptors when they said it killed it's sibling because it was so antisocial.

One of many things wrong with this horrid movie.

She killed the sibling when it was presumably young. She's intelligent enough to know she's not going be able to take on a pack of Velociraptors and a human army behind them.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

This is a pretty funny movie. I enjoyed especially the pterodactyls harassing humanity to ultimately not much effect except hilarious visuals.

Much of the joke is that the stupid animals are not stupid, not animals, and much smarter than any of the humans, in the tradition of just about any good monster movie. The Indominus possesses a variety of magical powers that the humans don't even know of, despite building it (although they didn't really build the thing it is made out of). Despite not having any experience of the world outside its pen, it develops complicated plots and can immediately deduce and counteract the schemes of the humans trying to kill it. It can variously turn invisible, project no body heat, detect the location of anyone anywhere, and tell other dinosaurs to join its glorious revolution. Psychopathic motivations are attributed to it, which implies a human intelligence. This proves to be too much for the other dinosaurs to tolerate, for if the series has projected one key thing about its universe, it's that dinosaurs and humans can't coexist.

I eagerly anticipate the sequel, The Island of Dr. Wu.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
I totally get and agree with most of the criticism I've seen, but I don't care. Movie was Big Dumb Fun, and I enjoyed it.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
I love it when family friendly films have swearing in, but the swearing is in a foreign language therefore doesn't count. Omar Sy definitely says "mais qu'est-ce qu'il fout" (what the gently caress is he doing) at one point, I think talking about Chris Raptor Wrangler Pratt.

The only time I actually laughed in the film, except for when the main theme from JP played and all I could think of was this:

https://youtu.be/-w-58hQ9dLk

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Chocolate Teapot posted:

A mindless flick only "works" when you don't notice the editing; if it's as sloppy as this, then you can't help but notice it, and then the illusion falls apart. Or you could pay £10+ to sleep in a seat for 2 hours.

the ending where the main characters live and they have BIG DINOSAUR fighting BIG DINOSAUR?

yeah it was pretty mindless.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Alucard Nacirema posted:

She killed the sibling when it was presumably young. She's intelligent enough to know she's not going be able to take on a pack of Velociraptors and a human army behind them.

She'll kill every living thing! Er wait, maybe not, actually she's going to hook it up with a bunch of raptor bros. Or maybe it was after she took a direct rocket blast to the side after a few rounds of a Gatling gun in the gut. Don't even get started of how the female love interest is treated as a good guy even though she's the reason why so many people died. Or the part where they're yukking it up as people are dying all around them.

Toaster Beef posted:

I totally get and agree with most of the criticism I've seen, but I don't care. Movie was Big Dumb Fun, and I enjoyed it.

I should've probably done this. I think I'm riding the nostalgia train of the original too hard.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Buckwheat Sings posted:

I should've probably done this. I think I'm riding the nostalgia train of the original too hard.

The original's one of my favorite movies and I was pretty bummed when it became obvious this was going to come nowhere near it, but when Jurassic World laid a foundation of "the only dinosaurs we're actually going to treat like wild animals are the 'evil' ones," I decided to meet it halfway and accept that it just wasn't a movie meant to be taken seriously.

Edit: Like, in the original, everything was dangerous. Even the Gallimimus stampede was something Grant, Lex and Tim had to take shelter from. The only dinosaur that wasn't approached with any modicum of caution was the near-dead Triceratops, and none of the protagonists assumed for a second they could control or manipulate the dinosaurs when poo poo hit the fan. I get that we're going into this one with the conceit that the raptors have been 'trained' (and to the film's credit, that goes really poorly for a bit) and I guess the argument could be made that the dinosaurs in the park would be bred specifically to be 'okay' with humans, but somewhere around when BDH goes and grabs the Tyrannosaurus like it's some kind of secret weapon and leads it triumphantly into the field of battle (with a maneuver that got Ian Malcolm loving destroyed in a movie that treated dinosaurs like dinosaurs), it's clear we're meant to look at some of these creatures like they're supposed to have thought bubbles with little sarcastic comments popping out every minute or two. And I am so loving okay with that.

Toaster Beef fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jun 29, 2015

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Xenomrph posted:

Tangentially related, there's been a Farmville clone called "Jurassic Park Builder" that's been running on iOS and Android since about 2011. A year or so ago they let you open up two new parks in addition to "Jurassic Park", there's an underwater "Aquatic Park" where you can clone a shitton of extinct marine life (Mosasaurus, Ammonite, Helicoprion, Leedsichthys, and a ton I'd never even heard of), and then "Glacier Park" which ostensibly started out as extinct Ice Age animals (Wooly Mammoth, Saber-toothed Tiger) but has ended up being a catch-all park for any extinct animals that don't fit in the other two, including the Dodo.

For a Farmville clone it's surprisingly educational and gives you a bunch of random facts about the animals you clone. The gameplay isn't particularly deep, and thankfully it doesn't grind you into dust via a paywall, but having a T-rex and being able to make it do the signature movie roar every time I tap on it is pretty great. :kiddo:

They have a new version called Jurassic World that fixes some of the issues of the old version, I've been enjoying it slightly more and hope it eventually gets the aquatic/glacier parks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

thankfully it doesn't grind you into dust via a paywall

This was not my experience with it. Did they change the frequency of the F2P stuff since two years ago?

• Locked thread