Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures

All thanks to some random rear end in a top hat on 4chan who posted these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Oh, we're posting our penis length high scores?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Bean posted:

Oh, we're posting our penis length high scores?

I got ten kills with zero deaths in a Turf War yesterday, it owned.

I haven't played Ranked yet though.

Silver Falcon posted:

Hey Bobman I caught up to your Squid Kid after the match.

We hung out for a bit.

:c00l:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just lost 20 points in ranked cause I don't have a internet connection. Cool cool cool.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

So what does rank get you exactly, bragging rights and?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

EightFlyingCars posted:

Well, I tried.

And with the squiffer, too. I think I just cried a little.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

More fresh points per victory.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

You get more cash when you win in ranked the higher you are. So what you could make in three or four regular matches can be gotten in just one ranked match.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
My internet is awesome and random on the time periods it wants to play nice and not disconnect me three out of four games, so I've started playing a couple Turf War matches before I jump into Ranked.

As frustrating as it is for me to disconnect, it's just as frustrating, if not more so, to the three other people on my team. It's only fair that I eat the loss penalty as well.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Directly correlates with the impressiveness of your genitals.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Stop sexing squidkids

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Trent posted:

Stop sexing squidkids

If somebody wanna rip off their arm for a squid kid I'm not gonna stop them

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Why the gently caress do squids / kids have black circles around their eyes? Is that the kid part or the squid part??

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

Why the gently caress do squids / kids have black circles around their eyes? Is that the kid part or the squid part??

The Blooper part.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Some squid species have dark areas around their eyes so I assume Inklings and Bloopers are exaggerating that in their design.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

if youre good enough to win consistently you'll get double or even triple what youd get per match in turf war, and the matches are shorter so its a very fast way to get money, even if you lose and get nothing every other match.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Aside from more points, it's also a completely different game mode in Splat Zones that you may or may not enjoy. I prefer it to Turf Wars, so I play it more, leading to a (slowly) rising rank.

At least until Tower and Rainmaker come out, those are interesting takes on my favorite modes in shooters and I'm pretty excited for them down the road.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

At A+ you get about 4500-4800 points/money for a knock out. Losing rank obnoxious because it decreases the rewards but it's fair there's something on the line for such a huge payout- losing it because the connection is rear end though isn't fun and frustrating.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tengames posted:

if youre good enough to win consistently you'll get double or even triple what youd get per match in turf war, and the matches are shorter so its a very fast way to get money, even if you lose and get nothing every other match.

If you get a knockout at A+ you get 4500 dollars.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Maybe I'm taking this Rock vs Pop thing too seriously. I mean, scribbling this for 2-3 freaking hours is way too much.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Lmao it's so hard to be good at splat charger, what the gently caress

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
As long as your team isn't total garbage you really can carry, it's so refreshing. We had 3 opponents right at our spawn point and I managed to splat all 3 of them in quick succession affording my Splatoon enough time to ink the map for a 2% victory.

What colors are the most powerful? I've noticed that hot pink can't beat orange consistently.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

It seems like people have kind of settled on either Cold-Blooded or Ninja Squid as a shirt perk, but I'd like to throw in a good word for Haunt. It lets you contribute to the team even in death, and knowing your splatter is getting punished with a radar target really relieves that sense of frustration.

And since there's no "watch out!" message on the d-pad, it's literally the only in-game way to warn your teammates about some sneaky pete who just ambushed you from somewhere unexpected, so that's nice.

For some obviously fun only reasons you can't use C'mon / To Me when you're dead but you can Booyah / Nice which, as a tryhard, I now do after every significant death to alert my teammates to enemy presence in the center, the base, an important chokepoint, etc.
Cold blooded helps you deal with base haunt but most the echolocators which a good echo combined with a good kraken charger or bubbler can lead to 2 or 3 deaths.

You're invincible inside your spawn forcefield so it's not as impressive

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
It's very frustrating when opponents swim through freshly laid ink like it's not there, as well as how often 3 and 4 hits with splattershot will not kill people.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Motherfucker posted:

And what's with that weird chupacabra tooth in the middle of their bottom row of teeth? That poo poo don't look right.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Jun 29, 2015

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

And what's with that weird chupacabra tooth in the middle of their bottom row of teeth? That poo poo don't look right?

They're not teeth, they're squid beaks!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

No, they're teeth. They look like teeth.

And that one tooth don't look right.

:colbert:

EDIT: Err, those TWO teeth don't look right. Unless all squidchildren have that Tom Cruise disease where there's an odd number of teeth inside of their mouths.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Jun 29, 2015

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
What are you, a teeth police or something?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rexroom posted:

Yes. I am Tooth Cop.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I wish there was a way to play splat zone not in ranked. It took all night to get back to A++ after tanking down to the low 20s trying to play with a splat charger ._.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rexroom posted:

No, but he IS a Doctor.

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Yes. I am Tooth Cop.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

That awful snaggly bottom tooth thing is my favorite part of the squidlings design. They absolutely look like horrid sea monsters who probably eat octopi. Nature is not kind

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
also how come sometimes they have cross shaped eyes and sometimes they don't?? ???

Vahtooch
Sep 18, 2009

What is this [S T A N D] going to do? Once its crossed through the barrier, what's it going to do? When it comes in here, and reads my [P O S T S], what's it going to do to me?

Motherfucker posted:

also how come sometimes they have cross shaped eyes and sometimes they don't?? ???

Those are contacts you can buy from the hat shop. You only really notice it on lighter coloured eyes though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

So there's something legit spooky in the splatoon singleplayer if you defeat the final boss and stand around for awhile... things start to get creepy.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Speaking of, I finally got around to finishing the single player and the final boss did not disappoint. Good call, thread.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

I was playing ranked with some A+ Japanese players yesterday on skatepark that had an annoying strategy involving the Dynamo Roller and standing on the platform above the side route closest to their spawn. They would fling ink over the wall onto the splatzone repeatedly, then fling ink over our route up to them if anyone tried to get close. Any strategies for dealing with that other than ink strike, using a charger, or going around through the middle? They basically made it impossible for my team to ever get control since one fling would bring it back to at least neutral.

They kind of did the same thing on Kelp Dome, except they used the cat walk in the middle that leads to the center platform. They shielded themselves with the billboards and made it tough to get an angle where you could actually hit them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007

• Locked thread