Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Well, you can shoot people lots of places and they won't die if they get medical attention, and Sinestro's daughter is a surgeon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Is she still around? I fell off the GL books after Brightest Day made it seem like like they'd be about all the other corps. I probably wouldn't have admitted it at the time, but there were pretty major diminishing returns on all the new characters.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

HitTheTargets posted:

Is she still around? I fell off the GL books after Brightest Day made it seem like like they'd be about all the other corps. I probably wouldn't have admitted it at the time, but there were pretty major diminishing returns on all the new characters.

She's in the current Sinestro solo book. The DCYou 8-pager had her struggling with her new yellow ring (it's super-easy to make big scary weapons, less good at medical tools, unless you focus on how scared you are of loving up and letting the patient die).

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

She got a yellow ring in the final page of the latest issue of Sinestro.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
In regards to Baz carrying around a gun, I would like to remind people of one of the first N52 GL Corps arcs, where they fight a bunch of dudes who can't be harmed by their rings, so they bring in a bunch of earth guns and shoot the poo poo out of them. That's probably why I never really second guessed him carrying around a gun.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Did they at least make green hands to pull the triggers with?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Every time they make the Green Lanterns more like the military and less like space police, they suck a little harder.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Every time they make the Green Lanterns more like the military and less like space police, they suck a little harder.

To be fair, if they're patterned after the US police...

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

To be fair, if they're patterned after the US police...

Well yes, real police are terrible, but fictional space law enforcement is a lot more entertaining than HOO-RAH in space.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
English Green Lanterns don't use rings and deaths by comically large glowing objects is a lot lower.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

WickedHate posted:

English Green Lanterns don't use rings and deaths by comically large glowing objects is a lot lower.

Yeah, but they still bow down to the Oan monarchy, even though it's basically just a figurehead anymore. Plus, they seem incapable of not saying the word oval office every other sentence.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Thank you for tidily summarizing what I've hated in every GL comic I've read.

Fat Man and Little Boy :cripes:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

dragon_pamcake posted:

Thank you for tidily summarizing what I've hated in every GL comic I've read.

Fat Man and Little Boy :cripes:

The worst part is that's not even the only pair of DC villians named that.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I've recently been listening to a podcast going through the history of the X-men and so i'm wondering whether there's many podcasts that go through comic history, and I figured this is the best place to ask.

I'm mostly interested in ones that go through some of the classic stuff or the more memorable events, rather than recent comics. So if anyone could list a few, i'd be interested in checking them out.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm not sure there's many that take the 'let's talk about why XYZ is good/bad and give context' that Rachel & Miles do (I assume that's the one you're listening to), there's a few that go issue by issue, like Tom Vs The Flash

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Reading through Kelly's Deadpool for the first time. I just got through the Cable guest appearance. My question is does this Laiman Laiman and Zack (or whatever its called) bullshit actually go anywhere? I'm much more invested in Deadpool's wacky adventures, and his relationships with Al and Weasel. Even him struggling to be a hero. But LLZ is just a bunch of boring bullshit to me.

Gummy Joe
Aug 16, 2007

Well, I wouldn't have Ol' Chomper here, that's for sure!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Reading through Kelly's Deadpool for the first time. I just got through the Cable guest appearance. My question is does this Laiman Laiman and Zack (or whatever its called) bullshit actually go anywhere? I'm much more invested in Deadpool's wacky adventures, and his relationships with Al and Weasel. Even him struggling to be a hero. But LLZ is just a bunch of boring bullshit to me.

You mean Landau, Luckman & Lake? They're just hanging around for the moment, LLL becomes the primary sort of storyline later on in Kelly's run. Not particularly important to pay attention to what they're doing at this time, but around like issue #19 they become a "thing" for about 8 issues and subsequently disappear thereafter.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Something just occurred to me, aside from Strange, is there any evidence that any of the other Marvel "Doctors" (Reed, Stark, Doom, McCoy, Pym, Banner, probably another half dozen I'm forgetting) have MDs? or are they all PHDs? Because if not, they all be fronting to a certain degree.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

Something just occurred to me, aside from Strange, is there any evidence that any of the other Marvel "Doctors" (Reed, Stark, Doom, McCoy, Pym, Banner, probably another half dozen I'm forgetting) have MDs? or are they all PHDs? Because if not, they all be fronting to a certain degree.

Does anyone ever really refer to Tony as "Doctor Stark" really? As for the rest, did McCoy even go to a real school at any point?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rhyno posted:

Does anyone ever really refer to Tony as "Doctor Stark" really? As for the rest, did McCoy even go to a real school at any point?

I think in the issue of A+X with Tony and Hank they specifically refer to each other as "Doctor Stark" and "Doctor McCoy." Of course the that story was that Banner is smarter than both of them, so take that as you will.

But seriously, Strange was a neurosurgeon before he hosed up his hands, whatever Xavier (who I'm pretty sure was a doctor of psychiatry, which would make him an MD, thus the only other "real doctor") could do with his mutant abilities, Strange used to be able to do with a bone-saw and a scalpel.

Edit: Jennifer Walters has a JD, thus could technically refer to herself as a doctor, but she don't front like that.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Skwirl posted:

McCoy does medical stuff all the time and his speciality is mutation, sounds like he's got a MD to me, and I'm sure Reed took a lazy Sunday at some point to learn medicine.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Skwirl posted:

In Steve Gerber's Defenders (Which everyone should read because it may be some of the best comics ever) the Red Guardian was also a neurosurgeon. She was so good Strange called her in from the USSR to perform an operation.

Just. Just don't read anything involving her after Gerber's Defenders.

Mr. Maltose fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 29, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yes this Doctorate is legitimate. Why? Just because I, DOOM, granted it to myself from Latveria U, where I am also dean?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

SynthOrange posted:

Yes this Doctorate is legitimate. Why? Just because I, DOOM, granted it to myself from Latveria U, where I am also dean?

It would be a great story if Latveria U was actually a hugely prestigious school, just with a high student/faculty fatality rate, because DOOM has very high standards of teaching and a sharp enough grading curve you could literally shave with it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

It would be a great story if Latveria U was actually a hugely prestigious school, just with a high student/faculty fatality rate, because DOOM has very high standards of teaching and a sharp enough grading curve you could literally shave with it.

Yeah, Doom is egotistical but it's usually justified. Even thinking he's the smartest man alive already, he'd totally staff his own university with the world's greatest educators and listen to recordings of their lectures while building his newest superweapon.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I liked that Brubaker had him just decide he was a doctor now when he heard Richards had a doctorate.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
I know that Captain Britain has a PhD in physics but thankfully he doesn't call himself Doctor Braddock, or Doctor Britain.

Edit: Thinking about it, Faiza Hussain, the Captain Britain of Secret Wars is a medical Doctor.

Starsnostars fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jun 29, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

McCoy does medical stuff all the time and his speciality is mutation, sounds like he's got a MD to me, and I'm sure Reed took a lazy Sunday at some point to learn medicine.
Beast has PhD's in biophysics and genetics. No MD.

Dr. Reyes, does, however, have an MD.

Wiki says Prof X has PhD's in genetics, biophysics, psychology, and anthropology, as well as an MD in psychiatry.

And when did PhD's stop being "real" doctorate degrees? Calling a PhD "doctor" is a completely normal thing.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Who is the guy with the axe yelling outside the Thor bar in Thors #1?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Unmature posted:

Who is the guy with the axe yelling outside the Thor bar in Thors #1?

Looks like Thor Odinson.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

bobkatt013 posted:

Looks like Thor Odinson.

Like original recipe 616 Thor? That's an interesting wrinkle.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Eh, probably just an Easter egg. I think if it was a huge plot turn they'd have emphasized it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

zoux posted:

Eh, probably just an Easter egg. I think if it was a huge plot turn they'd have emphasized it.

This issue was all set up. He might come back.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
By the way he was ranting he was probably a top officer and got kicked off the force for something. Probably Loki-related. He also sounds like he knows something they don't.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Beast has PhD's in biophysics and genetics. No MD.

Dr. Reyes, does, however, have an MD.

Wiki says Prof X has PhD's in genetics, biophysics, psychology, and anthropology, as well as an MD in psychiatry.

And when did PhD's stop being "real" doctorate degrees? Calling a PhD "doctor" is a completely normal thing.

It's an ego thing some MDs have, though usually it more applies to thinking they're better than people with PhDs in humanities , not scientists. "Oh, you're a 'Doctor' of Greek literature, but that comes in handy if someone's appendix bursts on an airplane at 30,000 feet." I just thought it was funny.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Didn't Beast try to go to med school and got kicked out? Or was that some poo poo plot from the 90s show?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

Didn't Beast try to go to med school and got kicked out? Or was that some poo poo plot from the 90s show?

The plots in that show were high art you philistine.

I'm pretty sure Beast was a med student when he turned himself into a blue monster like an idiot, so maybe his academic career took a dive.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

The plots in that show were high art you philistine.

I'm pretty sure Beast was a med student when he turned himself into a blue monster like an idiot, so maybe his academic career took a dive.

It's not like you can wear a hairnet over your whole body.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Finally, an ideal partner for Cloak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Lurdiak posted:

Rhyno posted:

Just another sign of the many homo sapiens sapiens prejudices against homo sapiens superior.