Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vanilla Ice
Jun 13, 2002

Fuck The Eradicator

Vanilla Ice posted:

Dualccast holy is awesome. I beat Shinryu by beserkering him, blinking my characters, and having my beastmaster dragon whip the poo poo out of him. I've done this Fiesta for 3 or 4 years now and I still have never beat Omega. Do I have any hope with this team (white mage/monk/beastmaster/red mage)? Holy is about the only hope I would have and of course he absorbs that damage. Calm helps somewhat, but it doesn't seem to block him from doing his major attacks (playing GBA version).

Fenrir posted:

Set up 3 characters with !Calm and Hermes Sandals and have them keep !Calm up in a rotation, the 4th character can do your damage. If you do this right, he'll never even get a turn, or even a single counter. Unfortunately I'm not sure what would constitute your damage output. Maybe put a reflect ring on the Red mage and just doublecast your best thunder repeatedly while keeping him calm.

First Triple Crown! Thanks Fenrir! I will say that using Calm with three people was way harder than it seems. You have to really get into a rhythm because if you go too fast or too slow he will get an attack in. I was only doing ~1050 damage per turn by dual casting thundaga so it took me 52 dual casts and an ungodly amount of calm to get by. Made for a tense, if tedious, battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Man, I love me some Chemist. Only 2 or 3 Dragon Powers and my Rangers were doing over 1000 damage per shot with Rapid-Fire (so like 4000-5000 depending on if Elven Bow got any crits). The crystals battle didn't last long to that kind of assault.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Not bad for never having played this game before! (is there still someone's pledge running for that?)

(The pictures, however, are atrocious. Don't care, regging for another run, FF5 is awesome.)

e: and thank god everyone else ALSO messes up Shinryu killshots. That just made me feel stupid!

DACK FAYDEN fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 29, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
So, two question about Exdeath and Doom:
1. Is there any enemies actually worth using it on? Especially considering I've got Chemist for powerups?
2. Will the Life Potion mix (immunity to instant death) block Doom's kill?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

One of NED's targets is vulnerable to Doom. I think it's the bottom left but I don't remember for sure.

ultrafilter fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Jun 29, 2015

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.

ultrafilter posted:

One of NED's targets is vulnerable to Doom. I think it's the bottom left but I don't remember for sure.

You mean the same one I can kill instantly with Magic Lamp Odin? I'll pass then.

New questions: With a team of Blue Mage/Ranger/Ranger/Chemist, is it worth triggering the fight with Gilgamesh fight in Exdeath's Castle? Genji Armor won't benefit me at all, but the Shield, maybe. And will he be in the Void later if I skip this one?

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I haven't been keeping up with the thread- is there a specific way we're turning in Fartz runs for Mega64?

Triple crown:

Edit:

Bufuman posted:

You mean the same one I can kill instantly with Magic Lamp Odin? I'll pass then.

New questions: With a team of Blue Mage/Ranger/Ranger/Chemist, is it worth triggering the fight with Gilgamesh fight in Exdeath's Castle? Genji Armor won't benefit me at all, but the Shield, maybe. And will he be in the Void later if I skip this one?

Honestly I can't see using the Genji Shield over the Aegis shield. And no, if you skip the castle Exdeath Gilgamesh encounter, he does not show up in the void (how would he, if he was never sent there?)

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jun 29, 2015

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Bufuman posted:

EDIT: Quick additional question, anyone know if the Air Knife's wind boost stacks with the Elemental Power mix?

Someone said earlier in the thread boosts don't stack, it's either a "You have a boost or you don't" situation.

Schwartzcough posted:

I haven't been keeping up with the thread- is there a specific way we're turning in Fartz runs for Mega64?

He already got fifty a couple of days ago, quite a few people (including myself) mentioned we were disappointed we didn't get to be part of the Fartz Fifty.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Schwartzcough posted:

And no, if you skip the castle Exdeath Gilgamesh encounter, he does not show up in the void (how would he, if he was never sent there?)
Don't quote me on this but I think this sanity check was added for the gba release

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
I was mostly unsure about it because I wasn't sure how the Necrophobe encounter would go without him, but I guess I'll find out when I get to him! Hey, empty treasure chest! :frogout:

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Yet another question (I seem to have a lot of those tonight): I know that level boosts from Bard and Chemist are retained through death, but what of Resist Fire/Ice/Thunder and/or Dragon Shielding? Will Dispel remove them? I figure these are good things to know for the latter half of the Exdeath fight.

EDIT: Well, don't need to know for Exdeath anymore, a round of !Mixed Goliath Tonics was all the defense I ended up needing, thanks to White Wind. So, World 3 is here for me. Still, if anyone can answer my questions I could probably still use the info at some point.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 29, 2015

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I know the Resist Element mixes are lost if you die. Not sure about your other questions.

Twelve by Pies posted:

He already got fifty a couple of days ago, quite a few people (including myself) mentioned we were disappointed we didn't get to be part of the Fartz Fifty.

Ah well, being Fartz! is its own reward.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

At your own peril.
Rapid-Fire Chicken Knife. 6000 damage right off. 10,000 damage after one Dragon Power.

:getin:Level: Over 255

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'd been quoting every Fartz victory up to 50. I'd do more but I'm bad with money as is.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Bufuman posted:

Fighting Gilgamesh will give you the Excalipoor, which is really good when you combine it with Goblin Punch. That's the only real reason to kill him with your team. Well, that and the dialogue.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

Bufuman posted:

I was mostly unsure about it because I wasn't sure how the Necrophobe encounter would go without him, but I guess I'll find out when I get to him! Hey, empty treasure chest! :frogout:
You just need to chew through about 10k extra HP.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

So my team has no multitalented abilities (knight, zerker, Beastmaster, dancer).

And on iOS the % based Beastmaster attacks don't work on exdeath (or at least they didn't on world 2's version).

Everyone has a ribbon, so I only get to bring one piece of Released artillery anyway. What should it be?

E: I guess I could give the dancer !catch instead of equip shields or equip swords.

...would a sword dance with Excalibur be appreciably better than one with the assassin dagger?

FairGame fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jun 29, 2015

Rixaxun
Jan 29, 2009

Bard-boosted doublecast meteors are kinda cruel. I almost feel bad for NED.

But not that much.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
So I made it to Exdeath and decided to let the might of the Chemist be displayed in full glory by buffing my red mage to level 255 and smashing his face in for...1800 damage.

Holy poo poo red mages are beyond awful and I would rather have a berserker than a red mage. Maybe even a geomancer, and this is with a white mage on the team.

Mustard Iceman
Apr 8, 2015

Weak against ketchup

Really not much I can do with this one other than give everyone !Mix when I get it, then give the Ranger !RapidFire once I get the Chicken Knife.

it's a triple crown party for sure but it's going to be a slog getting there.

Gonna go farm TurtleShells and Elixirs before World 2...

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

FairGame posted:

So my team has no multitalented abilities (knight, zerker, Beastmaster, dancer).

And on iOS the % based Beastmaster attacks don't work on exdeath (or at least they didn't on world 2's version).

Everyone has a ribbon, so I only get to bring one piece of Released artillery anyway. What should it be?

A Crystelle for Mighty Guard. Equip the Excalipoor, bop it on the nose twice, and catch using the Kornago Gourd.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug
Omega down for the first time ever (for me!) with blue mage / time mage / beastmaster / dancer

I put reflect rings on everyone, then chicken knife-danced him down while everyone else just chain-calmed, and occasionally swapped dancing for white wind to make sure i could survive the next attack. It took many attempts.

[edit] Awesome, there's no way to adjust an attachment. I didn't realize I had saved the screenshot in ultra-size.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

If nothing else, I recommend putting it in the [timg] tag.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?

berenzen posted:

Time Mage/Red Mage/Ranger/Ranger

So... rapidfiring things to death basically? Any good synergies available this combo? I'm guessing it's gonna basically be doublecast Haste, and rapidfire.

With Dualcast you should be able to dump all your mp in a single "turn" (without anyone else acting) - chain Meteor/Quick. Repeat until out of mana. Your red Mage can shove elixirs in the time mage's mouth every turn.

Most likely though I'd just go with meteor/quick and meteor/meteor on your quick turn. They're really big mp hog spells.

Pretty sure I got that wrong with my brain working on 2 hours' sleep. The game should mostly bend over for you and if you want the minimal effort approach just quickleak the superbosses, as mentioned before. Double rapid fire alone should murder NED.

Ugato fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Jun 29, 2015

blinking beacon nose
Nov 1, 2004

birthday frog comes bearing gifts and special birthday wishes
Knight/Berserker/Time Mage/Dancer

Took me about a billion tries to beat the crystal things in the Guardian Tree. Had two characters that could cast Time magic but I'd never bothered to pick up Float and Hastega.

Oh well, now (as if anyone cares about spoilers) the best character in the game is dead and the worst character in the game takes his place

A pretty viable party so far

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

blinking beacon nose posted:

Knight/Berserker/Time Mage/Dancer

Took me about a billion tries to beat the crystal things in the Guardian Tree. Had two characters that could cast Time magic but I'd never bothered to pick up Float and Hastega.

I'll let you in on a secret - since they're not heavy, you could've tagged them with Graviga twice and then any melee attack and offed them. :ssh:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Yeah, this is definitely an easy triple crown. Bit of RNG in trying to get the Dark Spark to stick, but between Golem and Mighty Guard I could not lose unless I ran out of Elixirs and Ethers somehow. Which since only 2 people were using them was hella unlikely.

Clockwork Gadget
Oct 30, 2008

tick tock

First time finishing the Fiesta, first hat-trick! (missed the Shinryu death animation, of course :saddowns:)

White Mage/Time Mage/Geomancer/Samurai. First world was extremely frustrating. Samurai really opened the game up for me, and breezed through the rest. Had to stop multiple times to grind money for both gil toss and rods...

Will probably do another run before the Fiesta is over.

milk_dud
May 5, 2014
This fight is the worst.

I guess I grind to make Nightingale more consistent?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Ramos posted:

If nothing else, I recommend putting it in the [timg] tag.

I uploaded it as an attachment, which was my mistake. If you upload an attachment, you can't change anything about it at all in an edit. It's dumb.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
25 stolen War Hammers until I got my first Reflect Ring drop :negative:.

But it was a double drop, so that's nice! Also I will NEVER run out of poo poo to randomly throw now.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

25 stolen War Hammers until I got my first Reflect Ring drop :negative:.

But it was a double drop, so that's nice! Also I will NEVER run out of poo poo to randomly throw now.

Reflect rings can be the absolute worst. My guys went from level 26 to 32 just grinding for drops in the tower. On the other hand, Atomos was a total chump when I got to him.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

milk_dud posted:

This fight is the worst.

What level are you? At level 18 you should have a M of 9 on bows, and with 39 attack power on the elemental bows, that's 351 damage; enough to pop a launcher in three Aims, which means you only have to fade one Launcher getting a missile off.

After that, Thunder Bows should do a bazillion damage (78 * 9 = 700 or so).

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Whee, triple crown montage #2. Also gently caress almagest, if it weren't for that I'd have been done at like level 36.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Triple crown: achieved. NED actions: 0.

Bard/Blue Mage teamup owns. :getin:

milk_dud
May 5, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

What level are you? At level 18 you should have a M of 9 on bows, and with 39 attack power on the elemental bows, that's 351 damage; enough to pop a launcher in three Aims, which means you only have to fade one Launcher getting a missile off.

After that, Thunder Bows should do a bazillion damage (78 * 9 = 700 or so).

Just grinded to 19. The launchers are still able to get a couple shots off so I'm doing less than 700 on at least one character. With some luck, I'll probably get it eventually. I ought to try using Romeo's Ballad at the beginning, though.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

milk_dud posted:

Just grinded to 19. The launchers are still able to get a couple shots off so I'm doing less than 700 on at least one character. With some luck, I'll probably get it eventually. I ought to try using Romeo's Ballad at the beginning, though.

Yes you should, the Launchers are susceptible to Stop. It won't lock them out fully - they are heavy, after all - but it at least gives you breathing room.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I grew up on OG SNES translated edition. I see everyone using GBA, but I don't really want to do that. What are the perks to GBA over the SNES version besides portablity.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Dishwasher posted:

I grew up on OG SNES translated version. I see everyone using GBA, but I don't really want to do that. What are the perks to GBA over the SNES version besides portablity.

You can dash with B without a thief. (If you have a thief it goes even faster.)

Also the translation is much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Dishwasher posted:

I grew up on OG SNES translated edition. I see everyone using GBA, but I don't really want to do that. What are the perks to GBA over the SNES version besides portablity.

Stick with SNES, it's the best :c00lbutt:

• Locked thread