Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

bruno legit is prolly my favorite side character, but that also might be because he's the only one whose personality shows through the lovely second half of part 5's lovely translation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
The new Part 5 translation quits right before my favorite fight in that part.

Gettin' hyped.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Started reading Part IV a few months ago. Put it down after Let's Go Eat Italian Food and picked it back up after the Stardust Crusaders anime finished. On the final volume now and that confrontation with Kira before the time rewind was one of the most intense battles I've seen in the series so far.

Excited to dive into the next parts when I'm done to see what crazy poo poo happens next.

Edit: It wasn't a time rewind :aaaaa:

SeXTcube fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 29, 2015

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013

Steve Jorbs posted:

Started reading Part IV a few months ago. Put it down after Let's Go Eat Italian Food

Why would you do such a thing??? How could you do such a thing???

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Davinci posted:

Why would you do such a thing??? How could you do such a thing???
Because I was busy moving and thought that was the best place to leave off on a good note. It wasn't because I didn't want to read it.

My girlfriend walked in on me reading JoJo last night so I had to explain the series to her. I showed her Josuke's interaction with the plate of spaghetti, further cementing in her head that I'm loving nuts.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i want to imagine an alternate universe part 6 where the stand created by the arrow left to jolyne gives her purple haze and she kills everybody including herself, what a way to gently caress everything up

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Continuing part 6: holy poo poo does Jolyne take a beating. I don't think I've ever seen a female character do that in a manga before.

Actually, before I show myself to be a complete moron, let's think of a few. Hmm.... There's Akira, another amazing book.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jolyne is a top-tier JoJo in every way.

Sadly, I've talked to people before who don't like her because she's a female character who isn't jacking off bait. I'm pretty sure at least one of them will end up on a register.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

lyricaldanichan posted:

Oh wow, thank you to whoever runs that website!

Just glad to find all the tarot cards in b/w as HQ scans!

So beautiful!

Never realized how amazing Judgement was, reminds me of the guy from Fury Road :rock:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Aurain posted:

Sadly, I've talked to people before who don't like her because she's a female character who isn't jacking off bait. I'm pretty sure at least one of them will end up on a register.

The weird thing is that they can't see the appeal of a badass like Jolyne.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Aurain posted:

It's kind of great that there is pretty much no fanservice in an arc literally set in a women's prison.

I mean there's that one masturbation reference, but that's an offscreen joke.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

The Vosgian Beast posted:

It's kind of great that there is pretty much no fanservice in an arc literally set in a women's prison.

so did you just deliberately ignore the part in Volume 1 where she strips down?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Race Realists posted:

so did you just deliberately the part in Volume 1 where she strips down?

Outside of the few bits in Volume 1, I can't remember any scenes of overt fanservice.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
this is what i do with my time

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It is pretty much kept front loaded on the fanservice-y stuff and it's not like there's no context for a strip search in a prison. There are much greater fanservice crimes than that.

Maybe if she did it well into the arc for no apparent reason.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Race Realists posted:

so did you just deliberately ignore the part in Volume 1 where she strips down?

I forgot it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I like seeing badass characters, so every time she gets up and take a stance despite bleeding from everywhere is fanservice to me.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Jolyne is basically the Terminator in a twentysomething-year-old woman's body. She just doesn't go down no matter what and it's fantastic.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Aurain posted:

Sadly, I've talked to people before who don't like her because she's a female character who isn't jacking off bait.

That's creepy. Although, I take it they haven't seen the pictures Araki drew of her outside of Stone Ocean.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
That's still a pretty tasteful picture and she looks like a regular woman instead of simpering uguu moe-bait.

The logic that Araki put into her was great.

quote:

The protagonist of JoJo Part 6 is a woman. Why a 『woman』? That's where it gets tricky.
She's a JoJo protagonist, so she's gotta be tough enough to not get disheartened even if she gets punched in the face. But sometimes she might be crawling around a ditch, or she might have her legs spread open and fall from the top of a building. Having it be a woman is a bit of a tricky setup.
But thinking about that gap, it actually seemed interesting. And it could be a person with great humanity like the Virgin Mary. I felt I just had to make the protagonist a woman.

Jolyne "Sets Self on Fire" Kujo.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Nah, that's what I mean. In the pages, Jolyne can look really hard and tough, so I figured they were getting at the fact that she looks too masculine sometimes even though that's not always the case.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

My favorite part re: Jolyne is that shes consistently drawn with an aggressive face and hard arms and legs... ... ... ...except when shes under the influence of Jail House Lock, then Araki starts drawing her much more conventionally attractive. Maybe Arakis into confused, easily exploitable women.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

That's creepy. Although, I take it they haven't seen the pictures Araki drew of her outside of Stone Ocean.

To be fair, that's one of the least erotic JoJo poses he's drawn.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I wasn't saying that it was erotic. :(

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Meme Emulator posted:

My favorite part re: Jolyne is that shes consistently drawn with an aggressive face and hard arms and legs... ... ... ...except when shes under the influence of Jail House Lock, then Araki starts drawing her much more conventionally attractive. Maybe Arakis into confused, easily exploitable women.

Actually I'd say that she's consistently drawn with an aggressive face and hard arms and legs except when she's being a big ol' goof. It's just that Jail House Lock is like 80-90% Jolyne being a big ol' goof.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Emporio repeatedly electrocuting himself

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Cerebral Bore posted:

Actually I'd say that she's consistently drawn with an aggressive face and hard arms and legs except when she's being a big ol' goof. It's just that Jail House Lock is like 80-90% Jolyne being a big ol' goof.

Is it true that Jail House Lock spoiled The Sixth Sense for people in Japan (presumably because Sixth Sense didnt see wide release before the chapter came out), or is that another Araki Said

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud
That's another Araki Said, Sixth Sense came out like three years before the Jailhouse Lock chapters ran

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I wasn't saying that it was erotic. :(

Oh sorry, I thought you were responding to the idea of people not liking Joelyne because she's not conventionally attractive, and was presenting the picture as counterpoint.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

All JoJos are conventionally attractive as hell. They're gorgeous.

Jolyne isn't a "you saw my panties! kyaaaaa!" style character though and it owns and anyone (no one here, obviously) who dislikes that can gently caress off.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

considering that arc 7 and 8 seem to have a theme of lumping previous jojos together i'm kinda hoping that a theoretical arc 9 has a remix of jolyne in it. maybe with elements of giorno in some way, minus the obvious dio influence.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

considering that arc 7 and 8 seem to have a theme of lumping previous jojos together i'm kinda hoping that a theoretical arc 9 has a remix of jolyne in it. maybe with elements of giorno in some way, minus the obvious dio influence.

Jolyrno?

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Jolyne but her hair buns are doughnuts

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Just rename the series Jolyne's Bizarre Adventure

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jolyne tells someone to gently caress off in every country on Earth.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

In Part 9, Jolyne finally goes to DisneyPolnareffland.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Aurain posted:

All JoJos are conventionally attractive as hell. They're gorgeous.

Jolyne isn't a "you saw my panties! kyaaaaa!" style character though and it owns and anyone (no one here, obviously) who dislikes that can gently caress off.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Where the gently caress is Mickey???

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

hoobajoo posted:

To be fair, that's one of the least erotic JoJo poses he's drawn.
To be fair, I'd still hit it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Much like how even the weakest Jojo parts are good relative to other manga, the least erotic Jojo poses are still erotic relative to the poses of other manga.