Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I sanded and painted my own pergola because I'm stupid. 3 months later I find I could have had the whole thing torn down and rebuilt for $1,500. It probably took me 200 hours total and I never want to sand anything ever again in my whole life. gently caress DIY. From now on, it's DIYHDPLP

Do It Yourself, Home Depot Parking Lot People

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Citizen Tayne posted:

As a matter of fact, if you aren't willing to pay a professional to do the work properly and would rather half-rear end it yourself to save a few dollars, home ownership probably isn't for you.

"These guys were accurate to 1/16 of an inch on their edge pieces" is not what I'd called half-assing it. That's totally fine. You may as well complain that they clean the house themselves, too (wouldn't want to half-rear end it, better hire a professional cleaning service)

e: Are you the guy who also spergs out if someone buys a home without a basement? Maybe quality posting isn't for you

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 26, 2015

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Basements are good.

(Yes, when I bought the house I had a professional cleaning service scour it top to bottom.)

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 26, 2015

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
Diy is fun sometimes, I'd actually be interested in learning the tile and flooring work that I need done. However after seeing how long it took me to tackle the first project (ceilings and lights in the kitchen) I'm going to let the pros get it done so I can actually enjoy my house in this lifetime.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

Leperflesh posted:

If you don't change your own oil, car ownership isn't for you.

See? This is really stupid. Home ownership is a lifestyle. If you can afford to pay people to do the work, there's nothing wrong with doing so. DIY is a fantastic and rewarding way to save money and can be enjoyable as well, but it's not for everyone, any more than working on your own car is for everyone. I think we'd like to encourage DIY in the BFC forum because, you know, it's often very cost-effective! And I personally encourage it because I think it's good for people to have an intimate understanding of how the things they own work. Makes it harder to get duped by charlatans when things go wrong, for example.

But a recommendation to try doing some simple jobs yourself shouldn't go so far as to say if you don't DIY your home repair projects, you shouldn't own a home.

Car analogies never made anything better.

Obviously my view is different. From my perspective, a person has to, as a home owner, be willing to tackle a project because it isn't unthinkable to suggest that the cash won't always be there to hire someone. Unemployment can happen. That is obviously a tough time and nobody should be laying down new flooring when they don't have an income but that doesn't mean stuff can't break. The fence can fall down, a pipe might leak, the eaves can let go and dangle from the house. At some point, the homeowner will either have to take it upon him or herself to get the work done, or just not do it.

If someone isn't prepared to do something as simple as laminate flooring in the best of times, it bodes very poorly for the chance of anything positive happening in the worst of times. And not even in just the worst of times, the entire flipping industry is supported by the ready availability of dilapidated homes that were previously inhabited by people on a fixed income in their 70's, 80's and 90's. I wouldn't ever suggest that someone like my 88 year old grandma should be redoing duct work, and I also wouldn't ever suggest that she own a home.

So yes, for anyone who could suddenly find themselves without an income, or with an income that sees them just getting by, consider very strongly not owning a house if you aren't willing yourself to do what is necessary to fix it. Owning a house doesn't mean anything if you are going to be complacent as it rots out around you.

Apr 7, 2003

Antifreeze Head posted:

Car analogies never made anything better.

Obviously my view is different. From my perspective, a person has to, as a home owner, be willing to tackle a project because it isn't unthinkable to suggest that the cash won't always be there to hire someone. Unemployment can happen. That is obviously a tough time and nobody should be laying down new flooring when they don't have an income but that doesn't mean stuff can't break. The fence can fall down, a pipe might leak, the eaves can let go and dangle from the house. At some point, the homeowner will either have to take it upon him or herself to get the work done, or just not do it.

If someone isn't prepared to do something as simple as laminate flooring in the best of times, it bodes very poorly for the chance of anything positive happening in the worst of times. And not even in just the worst of times, the entire flipping industry is supported by the ready availability of dilapidated homes that were previously inhabited by people on a fixed income in their 70's, 80's and 90's. I wouldn't ever suggest that someone like my 88 year old grandma should be redoing duct work, and I also wouldn't ever suggest that she own a home.

So yes, for anyone who could suddenly find themselves without an income, or with an income that sees them just getting by, consider very strongly not owning a house if you aren't willing yourself to do what is necessary to fix it. Owning a house doesn't mean anything if you are going to be complacent as it rots out around you.

I'm going to pay some nice young men to cut laminate flooring for my basement.

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Make sure the nice young men you hire are professional enough to install a moisture barrier if you don't already have one.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
That is one aspect that no one mentioned yet. DIY requires a familiarity with the subject, which is useful even when you hire someone. You can read up on it sure, but book lernin will only get you so far on its own.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yeah I think anything that requires a permit or some sort of accreditation shouldn't be DIY'd. Electrical work and anything that alters the structural integrity of a house should be done by professionals. Paint and laminate flooring are within reach of anyone who wants to do it themselves. And there's obviously a spectrum here; you might feel uncomfortable replacing vent seals on your roof, even if it's easily within your capabilities. And no one should fault you for wanting to hire a professional to do something that you simply don't want to do (if you have the money to spare)

e: disregard this if you're a bitcoiner, then you should do all of your own electrical work and post pictures

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
The only thing I regret DIYing is drywall. It's quite possibly the worst building material imaginable.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

krysmopompas posted:

The only thing I regret DIYing is drywall. It's quite possibly the worst building material imaginable.

Roofing tar...

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
you're a scrub if you don't buy empty weed-strewn lots and build your house from scratch, by yourself, with lumber that you personally harvested from a nearby forest

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009
On that note, I'm considering starting a tiny house megathread/building journal. Anyone interested?

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

Dead Pressed posted:

On that note, I'm considering starting a tiny house megathread/building journal. Anyone interested?

You should do this thing.

Apr 7, 2003

Dead Pressed posted:

Why does it have to be called a "movement" or whatever the gently caress? Why can't people just buy smaller houses and not jerk off about how cool it is?

Apr 7, 2003

Also do tiny homes come with tiny basements?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

QuarkJets posted:

you're a scrub if you don't buy empty weed-strewn lots and build your house from scratch, by yourself, with lumber that you personally harvested from a nearby forest

Growing up, my 70 year old neighbor built his garage this way. Started with a shovel and a chainsaw, two years later it was finished. If you're retired you might as well do this! (or be Dick Proenneke)

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
My fiancé and I finally got everything moved into the new house and started unpacking. I put all my clothes into the nice, new closet and...

Do never buy.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
We close tomorrow and I need to schedule gas. I have one place charging .53 per therm, which includes interstate capacity charges.. Basically the dddc stuff I think.

Another place is .42 a therm, but adds on the cost if dddc. I've never paid for gas, so I'm not sure how to choose. Any advice?

Apr 7, 2003

Aggro posted:

My fiancé and I finally got everything moved into the new house and started unpacking. I put all my clothes into the nice, new closet and...

Do never buy.

How old is this house and does it have a basement?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Aggro posted:

Do never buy.

That is a straightforward fix to get some heavier duty hardware. Was it just hooked into the drywall and not the studs, or did the hardware just break where it connects to the rack?

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

lampey posted:

That is a straightforward fix to get some heavier duty hardware. Was it just hooked into the drywall and not the studs, or did the hardware just break where it connects to the rack?

Hooked into the drywall and not the studs. It's certainly fixable but just not something I planned on dealing with this week.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
At this point in my life, I never trust drywall anchors for anything heavier than a large framed picture.

Studs or GTFO.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Step one of manly home ownership - the first thing fully set up should be the entertainment system.

Also, the Charter guy will be here fairly soon, so I needed to get all that junk hooked up and that's part of the TV setup.

I knew that home ownership would be a nickel-and-dime deal where the list of projects completed was directly tied to available funds, but I didn't realize the scope of tiny fixes that eventually cost a lot of money in aggregate. We closed 5 days ago, and I'm already trying to justify keeping the house door hardware nickel and the storm door hardware gold...

The Science Goy fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Jun 29, 2015

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

DrBouvenstein posted:

At this point in my life, I never trust drywall anchors for anything heavier than a large framed picture.

Studs or GTFO.

It looks like if you just stud the center support, the other hooks didn't fail it just slipped out of the top. I hate those wire racks though. I Costco California Closets because DIY is for suckers.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
I close today at 4pm and still have not seen the closing packet. I read somewhere that it is federal law that I get this packet at least one day before closing. Is what I read bullshit? Should I take any action regarding the fact that I will only have a matter of hours to review thigns? Is getting it this late just par for the course despite the law?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Jewce posted:

I close today at 4pm and still have not seen the closing packet. I read somewhere that it is federal law that I get this packet at least one day before closing. Is what I read bullshit? Should I take any action regarding the fact that I will only have a matter of hours to review thigns? Is getting it this late just par for the course despite the law?

You're supposed to get the HUD-1 24 hours prior to settlement. This contains the binding GFE as well.

I would not plan on closing today and demand to see it immediately. In my experience I found some issues that required people to cooperate to fix which delayed my settlement a few days one day at a time.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Jealous Cow posted:

You're supposed to get the HUD-1 24 hours prior to settlement. This contains the binding GFE as well.

I would not plan on closing today and demand to see it immediately. In my experience I found some issues that required people to cooperate to fix which delayed my settlement a few days one day at a time.

What kind of issues? My lender just sent one that was not approved and is going over it with me. What should I be looking out for?

Edit: Just got my approved Hud-1. It is $32.75 higher than my original GFE. Some numbers are couple hundred more and some are a couple hundred less. The largest gain was in my attorney fees and I know that had nothing to do with the lender. I'm thinking things look good to move forward.

Jewce fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 29, 2015

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum
Just bought a flat, and being a new build, floorwise it has tiles in the kitchen and bathroom and not much else.

Can anyone help me with a basic overview of what I should care about when buying a carpet?

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Hobo posted:

Just bought a flat, and being a new build, floorwise it has tiles in the kitchen and bathroom and not much else.

Can anyone help me with a basic overview of what I should care about when buying a carpet?

Carpets are gross. Hard floor of some kind, and then rugs. Rugs can be picked up and cleaned. Carpets collect gunk and grossness for years and years.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

^^ When he says carpet, he means a rug.

I don't pay too much attention to my dad's business, but he's ranting downstairs that one of his clients applied to lease a small house in suburban Austin and they're in a highest-and-best situation. He said he's never seen one of these before, especially in Williamson County. Do these start to pop up in other overheated markets?

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

A lot of times highest and best use pops up because of a weird location or something the people have done to modify the property. It is probably even less common in Texas, since zoning restrictions often are non factors. Deed restrictions tend to be fairly loose, so it is probably a weird one off more than anything.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

He and another realtor buddy are on their way over to go look at it. Maybe each applicant was finally able to piece together Great Uncle Lyle's old map?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I've decided I'm going to start looking into buying a small house close to work. There are a ton of small houses like ~10 miles out for like 45-60k in an area where a couple of my friends live already, and I hunger for a garage and an endless stream of DIY nonsense to fill my time.

I've probably gone completely insane here.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
So I have a question regarding contracts.

My girlfriend and I have entered into contract for a 4/3 on .3 acres (Gainesville, FL), with an agreed upon price of $200k.

We also added into the contract that we are asking $2k for carpet replacement, $1k for general repairs and seller pays $3k at closing. The sellers agreed to all our terms, and signed the contract.

Just today we got a call from our agent saying that the sellers are refusing to give us the money for general repairs, citing what we asked for as being "cosmetic." For reference, we asked for an exterior doorframe replacement because of water damage with visible mold, smoke detector replacement (7) because the current ones are 12 years old (FD and insurance companies recommend replacement at 10, with failure rate increasing exponentially for each year thereafter), replacement of 4 exterior pieces of hardiboard (hardy board?) because they have visible mold and are beginning to come off the home, and 2 small portions of the roof (shingles) to be replaced because of visible damage.

My question is really a 3 parter. 1. Do they have a legal leg to stand on, telling us 'no,' for any reason at all, being that they signed the contract for "general repairs" and made no exception for 'cosmetic damage' 2. Is what we're asking really all that outrageous as far as general repairs? I mean, there's issues with one of the homes sinks having legit cosmetic damage, 2 or 3 areas of damage to the walls, etc., and we're not asking for those issues to be fixed, and 3. What legal recourse do we have if they outright tell us "no, we're not fixing anything?"

I never would've thought we would have run into these issues, especially being that they willingly signed the drat contract, but the further into the process we get, the shadier and more lovely the sellers are getting.

Edit: We already had the home inspection, with the inspector citing all the critical repairs, and we shared the inspection with the sellers, so they know we're not pulling repairs and quotes out of our asses.

Zipperelli. fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 30, 2015

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
(1) Carpets and smoke detectors are some low level bullshit that's not worth freaking out about (2) if they agreed to this in writing, then no, they can't back out because it's suddenly "too cosmetic" and your agent should have already told them to get hosed. If they don't come through you can sue them and maybe even win, but it might not be worth the trouble over $3k.

Another way of looking at it, if the door trim and siding and shingles are so bad off that there is visible mold and damage necessitating replacement in "small portions", there is very likely more damage that you don't see and you might be getting into a repair situation that is going to cost you $30k, not $3k, over the next few years. Something to think about.

intensive purposes
Jul 1, 2009
First time home buyer, just closed today, two days earlier than scheduled. I came here to post about what a painless process it was. But the highest-and-best-use issue jogged my memory... I was prequalified with a certain lender, my offer was accepted, inspection done and paid for... and then the lender said "nevermind, this property is zoned commercial, so if you want a loan for it you need 25% down." I had already had my loan officer double check that issue BEFORE making the offer since it is a unique property, so it was extra frustrating for her to come back and have nothing to say but "oops."

I found a new loan officer, who found a different lender who didn't care about the zoning, just the highest-and-best-use designation as a single family residence, which was ultimately confirmed in the appraisal.

It had been used as a business space by the previous owners for years, but they never altered the structure or appearance, inside or out. It's a beautiful historic home, just happens to be in a high traffic area with a mix of houses and businesses, so the prior owners were able to run a little shop out of it without changing the character.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

EZipperelli posted:

I never would've thought we would have run into these issues, especially being that they willingly signed the drat contract, but the further into the process we get, the shadier and more lovely the sellers are getting.

They signed the contract. Trying to figure why they are trying to back out of the cash part is inpossible.

Some will say that if the sellers are doing this there will be bigger things hidden or whatever. I say to go through with the sale and make them hold to the contract.

I would just have the agent tell them to gently caress themselves.

And yes, carpets are small fries, but $1000 that they are trying to screw you out of is unacceptable and anyone telling you that its not worth fighting over is wrong. They can pay your lawyer fees and the $3000 they owe, or just the $3000 when they sell the house to you.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Thanks for the quick replies guys, I told my agent to tell their realtor to tell them to get hosed.

They came back and said "ok ok ok, we'll give you $500." We accepted, just because the house is being sold to us for about $30k under value, and we don't want the seller to walk (it's still within the 15-day walk period) and leave us homeless.

I also passed the message along that if they try any more bullshit, I was going to put my foot in someones rear end, because we've put up with more bullshit than is even reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slap me silly
Nov 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yay for negotiating with assholes. Good luck!