Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Rock trolls. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
Looking forward to killing them all in my second play through.. For.. Completeness

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Troll say "wishers leave pointy club and can walk away"
Wisherman now has enhanced ogroid oil. :getin:

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself

etalian posted:

On a random note the Witcher 3 was fairly lean in terms of overall cost:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/06/26/the-witcher-3-kept-its-budget-low-because-it-was-self-published/

35 million dollars for production and same amount for advertising

That is really incredible for a game with this much content and a fairly decent marketing campaign.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

echronorian posted:

Rock trolls. :allears:

Despite Lambert's sad Witcher origins, him wanting to just kill the rock trolls instead of talk it out made me hate him. Literally every troll encounter in the game at that point that I did could literally be talked out, and this rear end in a top hat just wants to kill them! I don't think so!

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

etalian posted:

On a random note the Witcher 3 was fairly lean in terms of overall cost:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2015/06/26/the-witcher-3-kept-its-budget-low-because-it-was-self-published/

35 million dollars for production and same amount for advertising

Just waiting for the stories of everyone at the studio doing 18 hour crunch for four years.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Greenplastic posted:

You sick monster! I Why didn't you just farm the rabid rock troll in Velen!?
You can farm a troll somewhere?!?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Bort Bortles posted:

This is one of my favorite lines from the game.

Mine is from the the Missing Miners contract: Wham-a-wham mans again, I'll swish-a-swash-a-swunk you.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Xarn posted:

Mine is from the the Missing Miners contract: Wham-a-wham mans again, I'll swish-a-swash-a-swunk you.

There are a lot of lines in this game that I love, but off the top of my head I cannot top this one.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I think I found a way to eat the cake and have it too with the Crones/Bloody Baron's quest: release the tree spirit before you even go to the Crones - children get saved but the Crones don't transform Anna as a punishment. They get angry but that's it and the quest proceeds as if you killed the tree. It's still as grim as always what with the tree spirit driving people in the nearby village insane but at least it prevents Baron's family death-suicide while still saving the children.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

I love the troll being all "No, is true, don't make faces!" when he tells them that they're monsters.

Greenplastic
Oct 24, 2005

Miao, miao!

Bort Bortles posted:

You can farm a troll somewhere?!?

Yes! It's rabid too so it's not evil and immoral to kill it like with other trollses. In southeast Velen, just west of the Crossroads marker, there is a bandit camp by a bridge. The troll spawns there after you clear it out, and respawns after meditation.

Doesn't drop the liver every time, but will eventually. Took 6 kills just now to get the final one I needed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Fun Times! posted:

Started playing today. Was surprised my PC could handle ultra settings. I turned off hairworks because I don't have an Nvidia card I can't really notice a difference. I'm only an hour in and I'm exploring all over so I have no idea where this Ciri girl came from. Maybe Alvin will return and they'll see a movie together? Going to play some more now seeya.

Total spoiler for Witcher 1 here.

There's a bookshop in Novigrad where you find a note in a book from Alvin. It was a good callback. I do kinda wonder how his church/cult still survives when he's definitely dead.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Palpek posted:

I think I found a way to eat the cake and have it too with the Crones/Bloody Baron's quest: release the tree spirit before you even go to the Crones - children get saved but the Crones don't transform Anna as a punishment. They get angry but that's it and the quest proceeds as if you killed the tree. It's still as grim as always what with the tree spirit driving people in the nearby village insane but at least it prevents Baron's family death-suicide while still saving the children.

Oh yeah, unleashing the Spirit that drowned the land in blood so much that even the Crones were appalled surely is a good choice. The orphans don't die so all is well!

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

GrossMurpel posted:

Oh yeah, unleashing the Spirit that drowned the land in blood so much that even the Crones were appalled surely is a good choice.
But think of the children! Actually I was more impressed that that outcome is also possible which again and again proves how good this game is.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Fun Times! posted:

Started playing today. Was surprised my PC could handle ultra settings. I turned off hairworks because I don't have an Nvidia card I can't really notice a difference. I'm only an hour in and I'm exploring all over so I have no idea where this Ciri girl came from. Maybe Alvin will return and they'll see a movie together? Going to play some more now seeya.

Did you not finish Witcher 1? Alvin is super dead.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

GrossMurpel posted:

Oh yeah, unleashing the Spirit that drowned the land in blood so much that even the Crones were appalled surely is a good choice. The orphans don't die so all is well!
Blatant Crone propaganda.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Not reading this thread cause y'all are absolutely not careful about spoilers, so sorry if this is covered constantly.

Doing some googling, it is pretty clear that the problems with the "Person in Distress" in Velen, north of the Hanged Man's Tree, is well known. I am wondering if there are any tricks I can do to get the bandit leader with the key to respawn so I can satisfy my silly OCD and clear this stupid mission. I've tried going to other areas and coming back, still no bandits.

I hate how much not being able to do one tiny thing really destroys my motivation to do anything else.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

Blatant Crone propaganda.

That's why you kill them as well. The peasants are their own masters now.
What's the spoiler policy by the way? Still necessary to tag early-game decisions like that?
What about W1 and W2 story spoilers?

E: ^^^^^^^^ Nevermind, looks like spoiler tags are still needed :).
I think the only way to fix that person in distress is to load an earlier save before you discovered it and immediately kill the bandits after discovering it instead of leaving it for later.
If this bug doesn't cure you of your OCD, Skellige surely will.

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN

RatHat posted:

Did you not finish Witcher 1? Alvin is super dead.

He can travel through time. There is always the possibility of him popping up.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Does anyone use sweetfx or anything like it? This game is already so gorgeous that I'm wondering if it's worth it, and if so, does anyone know a good profile that doesn't drop the framerate too much? There are so many on the nexus and it's impossible to tell if they're any good.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

cams posted:

Not reading this thread cause y'all are absolutely not careful about spoilers, so sorry if this is covered constantly.

Doing some googling, it is pretty clear that the problems with the "Person in Distress" in Velen, north of the Hanged Man's Tree, is well known. I am wondering if there are any tricks I can do to get the bandit leader with the key to respawn so I can satisfy my silly OCD and clear this stupid mission. I've tried going to other areas and coming back, still no bandits.

I hate how much not being able to do one tiny thing really destroys my motivation to do anything else.

My Hattori quest was broken for the longest time and it was really ruining the game for me. He just wasn't there, ever.

Then he suddenly turned up after a patch and I was so glad.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
Ending Chat:

Still think the Ciri becoming a witcher ending is the best ending but that's all based on what you believe good parenting to be. Sometimes parents do know best and holding back the option of taking Ciri to Empyr IS in her interests even if it is dishonest. During the Final Preparations questline Ciri mentions how amazing it would be to be a part of the traveling circus due to all of them being generally very carefree, happy, and able to move shop whenever they want. She even states she wants to live a low key life where she isn't a central figure anymore. Yea, Ciri becoming Empress isn't bad, she probably ends up living a very comfortable life, and it's probably better for the world at large. However, she is essentially coerced into being used due to her talents. It sort of reminds me of some people that will push their kids to the max when they find out their kid is good at something even if the kid can't loving stand it. Yea, maybe pushing your kid to become a Doctor will allow them to lead a relatively cushy lifestyle, will end up benefiting society at large, and they still may choose to do so out of a sense of morality/duty/respect for their parents EVEN IF it is something they only "kind of" want.

I dunno. Ciri becoming empress seems to be like damning her to follow a path laid out for her for a SECOND TIME similar to how she was forced to become a Witcher based on "destiny"/random chance. You could also argue though that allowing her to continue down the Witcher path that was initially laid out for her is hosed as well.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Sometimes, a parent should push the child into doing what's genuinely best for the child, as opposed to what she desires in her heart. Imagine your daughter one day tells you she wants to be a wandering bohemian artist when you have prepared her for a career as a doctor or a lawyer or an engineer.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Taear posted:

My Hattori quest was broken for the longest time and it was really ruining the game for me. He just wasn't there, ever.

Then he suddenly turned up after a patch and I was so glad.
just stumbled upon another "person in distress" quest, this time the entire bandit camp was there, including the leader. killed them all, no loving key for the cage

so do i just have to accept that every single loving "person in distress" quest is completely broken?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Baron Bifford posted:

Sometimes, a parent should push the child into doing what's genuinely best for the child, as opposed to what she desires in her heart. Imagine your daughter one day tells you she wants to be a wandering bohemian artist when you have prepared her for a career as a doctor or a lawyer or an engineer.

yeah imagine if women could do what they desire in their heart

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011
Ending spoilers in the post.

I have a bit of a problem with Ciri's choice and Geralt's involvement with people's choices in general. Specifically, on a grand level why does taking her to see Emhyr makes her an Empress instead of deciding she doesn't care for that and would rather be a witcher or a travelling merchant. It's kind of obvious that she has: a) a royal pedigree, and b) that she would be able to help more people as a ruler than as a witcher. I know they are just video game characters, but ultimately you do decide Ciri's future regardless of what the ending is, especially since we don't actually know how she defeats the White Cold or however it's translated. Roche in the "An eye for an eye" quest is similar - he doesn't want to kill the guy, but if Geralt suggests it, oh well, it must be done. That's nice of him, I suppose.

And it's especially egregious because in the Empress ending Geralt wants to travel with her but she says she shouldn't, so it's ostensibly her decision, even though she was manipulated into it and wouldn't know about her father, the Emperor, otherwise? Who knows.

I know it's a dumb complaint ("I can decide which ending I get, woe is me"), but Ciri even says it's about her and welp, turns out her future is literally decided by your whims.

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

Baron Bifford posted:

Imagine a mother telling her daughter that she doesn't care if she has no grandchildren in her lifetime if it means her daughter has the freedom to do whatever she really wants to do. Sounds like a totally irresponsible parent, right?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Szurumbur posted:

Ending spoilers in the post.

I have a bit of a problem with Ciri's choice and Geralt's involvement with people's choices in general. Specifically, on a grand level why does taking her to see Emhyr makes her an Empress instead of deciding she doesn't care for that and would rather be a witcher or a travelling merchant. It's kind of obvious that she has: a) a royal pedigree, and b) that she would be able to help more people as a ruler than as a witcher. I know they are just video game characters, but ultimately you do decide Ciri's future regardless of what the ending is, especially since we don't actually know how she defeats the White Cold or however it's translated. Roche in the "An eye for an eye" quest is similar - he doesn't want to kill the guy, but if Geralt suggests it, oh well, it must be done. That's nice of him, I suppose.

And it's especially egregious because in the Empress ending Geralt wants to travel with her but she says she shouldn't, so it's ostensibly her decision, even though she was manipulated into it and wouldn't know about her father, the Emperor, otherwise? Who knows.

I know it's a dumb complaint ("I can decide which ending I get, woe is me"), but Ciri even says it's about her and welp, turns out her future is literally decided by your whims.

It's just a flaw of the medium and the need for your choices to actually matter for the game to feel rewarding. Not to say that it will feel rewarding to everyone, it's going to have the opposite effect to some such as yourself, but that's how it's got to be.

If Geralt gave his opinion on how an event should end and the game ignores it, even when it does it rightfully, players would complain that their opinions and choices don't matter in the game and that offering them is a false choice.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

cams posted:

just stumbled upon another "person in distress" quest, this time the entire bandit camp was there, including the leader. killed them all, no loving key for the cage

so do i just have to accept that every single loving "person in distress" quest is completely broken?

To be fair person in distress is quite poo poo and often the person never arrives at the place they're meant to be.
The bandit with the key should be glowing though, with blue dots coming off their corpse.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have never, ever had a bandit leader spawn with a key at a person in distress location. I've been to like four of them and wiped out the whole camp each time and nope no key, ever. Those poor merchants are just gonna rot in those cages.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

Then again, Ciri has already risked her life to not only save her world from the White Frost, but also several others. That's literally billions of lives saved right there. I'd say at that point she's more than fulfilled her responsibility towards the greater good, and absolutely earned the right to focus on her own wishes for once.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Ciri/endgame/choice&consequences/free will & omniscience

Saying that Geralt making the choice to tell Ciri that Emhyr is looking for her "decides" for Ciri if she's going to be empress is reductive. Yes, in this sense, you, as a player, have the agency to decide Ciri's future. Except that Geralt doesn't know that this is what that decision is about and neither does any player who hasn't had the thing spoiled for them. You do X, therefore Y, therefore Z, doesn't necessarily mean that you "decided" on Z. It's only the case that you chose Z if you are aware, at the time of picking X, that Z will be a natural consequence of that choice.

So, yeah, armed with extra-universal knowledge of choice and consequence, it's true that the *player* can decide Ciri's eventual fate, but Geralt never does.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Avalanche posted:

Ending Chat:

Still think the Ciri becoming a witcher ending is the best ending but that's all based on what you believe good parenting to be. Sometimes parents do know best and holding back the option of taking Ciri to Empyr IS in her interests even if it is dishonest. During the Final Preparations questline Ciri mentions how amazing it would be to be a part of the traveling circus due to all of them being generally very carefree, happy, and able to move shop whenever they want. She even states she wants to live a low key life where she isn't a central figure anymore. Yea, Ciri becoming Empress isn't bad, she probably ends up living a very comfortable life, and it's probably better for the world at large. However, she is essentially coerced into being used due to her talents. It sort of reminds me of some people that will push their kids to the max when they find out their kid is good at something even if the kid can't loving stand it. Yea, maybe pushing your kid to become a Doctor will allow them to lead a relatively cushy lifestyle, will end up benefiting society at large, and they still may choose to do so out of a sense of morality/duty/respect for their parents EVEN IF it is something they only "kind of" want.

I dunno. Ciri becoming empress seems to be like damning her to follow a path laid out for her for a SECOND TIME similar to how she was forced to become a Witcher based on "destiny"/random chance. You could also argue though that allowing her to continue down the Witcher path that was initially laid out for her is hosed as well.

If you think the Witcher ending is the best then you really weren't paying attention to the story. Being a Witcher loving sucks. Everyone hates them, people fight them when they are just trying to help, etc. Being a Witcher sucks so bad none of the Wolf Clan want to make more. Remember the saying "No Witcher has ever died in their bed"? Yeah. The Empress ending is the best because it shows you were a good enough parent to Ciri to let her fly on her own. Being a Witcher kind of grounds her because that's all she knows and is afraid to break out of that mold. You're also forgetting that all Ciri wants is to help people. As Empress, she clearly states she can do way more to help people with the power of the crown than she ever could tracking through swamps to kill monsters one by one. It's a better ending for Geralt too because a as a parent, you want more for your kids than you had yourself. He and Yen can retire knowing she's safe (relatively, given politics) as one of the most powerful people on the planet rather than waiting to take a pitchfork in the stomach from some ungrateful village kid.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

cams posted:

Good so it isn't just me. Guy in that particular cage is gone now for me, but I sure hope he isn't the last guy I need to beat to become Gwent master.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Khagan posted:

Good so it isn't just me. Guy in that particular cage is gone now for me, but I sure hope he isn't the last guy I need to beat to become Gwent master.
Yeah, the reason this bugs me so much is that the only one of these I've successfully rescued was a barber who I was able to get haircuts from. This is a big deal. It leads me to believe that the rest of these guys I can rescue would be a big deal as well. But they're buggy as poo poo.

Cool.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Re: ending. There's nothing stopping Ciri from becoming empress in the other endings if she wants it, y'know.

I decided not to suggest Ciri go to see the emperor because it sounded like Geralt was going to advise her to see him, instead of just presenting her with the option. Also the whole creepy wanting to impregnate her thing from the books.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Baron Bifford posted:

Well then you support her dreams instead of trying to force her into a career she doesn't actually want to do, even if it might end in failure?? Like a good parent??

Senjuro
Aug 19, 2006

Levantine posted:

If you think the Witcher ending is the best then you really weren't paying attention to the story. Being a Witcher loving sucks. Everyone hates them, people fight them when they are just trying to help, etc. Being a Witcher sucks so bad none of the Wolf Clan want to make more. Remember the saying "No Witcher has ever died in their bed"? Yeah. The Empress ending is the best because it shows you were a good enough parent to Ciri to let her fly on her own. Being a Witcher kind of grounds her because that's all she knows and is afraid to break out of that mold. You're also forgetting that all Ciri wants is to help people. As Empress, she clearly states she can do way more to help people with the power of the crown than she ever could tracking through swamps to kill monsters one by one. It's a better ending for Geralt too because a as a parent, you want more for your kids than you had yourself. He and Yen can retire knowing she's safe (relatively, given politics) as one of the most powerful people on the planet rather than waiting to take a pitchfork in the stomach from some ungrateful village kid.

Even ruthless Emhyr can't survive Nilfgaardian politics in some of the endings, how long will Ciri last? As soon as she tries to do some good like abolishing slavery she could end up with a dagger in her back. Ciri is clearly happier in the witcher ending, isn't that what's ultimately most important?

Senjuro fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Best ending: is where ciri never comes back from the white frost, dying outside the normal stream of spacetime allows her to achieve nirvana and escape the endless cycle of death and rebirth

edit: or the secret cow ending