Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

paranoid randroid posted:

What you mean people DONT keep swords in there?? what is this horseSHIT

this implies that dave and bro lived exclusively on poo poo like doritos that didn't need to be refrigerated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

this implies that dave and bro lived exclusively on poo poo like doritos that didn't need to be refrigerated.

Dave's only familiar with produce in the form of juice and powdered flavor-additives. dude used to think MSG was a fruit.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

He also got out and ate burgers sometimes... I think? I know he discussed burger king with Rose at one point maybe. And he took selfies on the street. And laughed at them way too much later, an event I really hope didn't get retconned.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
BRO

GOLDEN ARCHES. NOW.

BRING CAL.

WHERE DOING THIS MAN.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It's such a stark contrast to Rose and Roxy meeting. Rose basically went through the opposite realization that Dave did, that her mom was actually loving and just trying to support her rather than undermine her, so meeting Roxy was similarly cathartic but in a completely different way.

I guess Jade and Jake might have something too, the biggest consequence of them talking I can imagine is I don't think Jade would settle for letting Jake wallow in gloom or letting people like Vriska dismiss or abuse him. I suppose they've also got the loneliness thing to bond over.

Jane's got Nanasprite to connect with which is a different but just as significant way to work through some issues. I guess that really just leaves John, since pop-pop isn't around in any form and in his case it's really Dad he wants to connect to. I don't know if him meeting Jane's Dad would do, though.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Dadsprite.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder, if John's hammer gets a roll of all 8s on his dice, would he transform into an Ancestor style form like Vriska?

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

I hope John has no reaction to Jane's dad because her dad "looks nothing like" his dad, but then Jane's dad breaks down in manly tears because John looks like Poppop Crocker.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Burkion posted:

I wonder, if John's hammer gets a roll of all 8s on his dice, would he transform into an Ancestor style form like Vriska?

Yes, he would probably turn into Colonel Sassacre, or near enough as makes no nevermind. His Prankster's Gambit would be invincible.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I need y'all to talk me out of a depressing idea.

Dave has just completed a character arc. He has grown from youth to manhood, understood himself, cast away childhood ideas, achieved self-realization, and helped Dirk realize who he is and who he does not want to become.

Which means, from a story point of view, this is a good time to kill Dave. He's done what he was in the story to do. Kill him, viewers are crushed ("I am a leaf on the wind!"), it is made clear that the stakes are high and permanent, and the story moves on.

Tell me it isn't true, Grandma goons!

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Dave has just completed a character arc. He has grown from youth to manhood, understood himself, cast away childhood ideas, achieved self-realization, and helped Dirk realize who he is and who he does not want to become.

Which means, from a story point of view, this is a good time to kill Dave. He's done what he was in the story to do. Kill him, viewers are crushed ("I am a leaf on the wind!"), it is made clear that the stakes are high and permanent, and the story moves on.

Nah, Dave is Hussie's mouthpiece on a lot of things, he's not gonna take him out of the story just like that.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

None of the kids can permanently die just yet because they all survive to the endgame of fighting Caliborn and creating Lord English.

The trolls and sprites are all fair game.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

RZApublican posted:

Nah, Dave is Hussie's mouthpiece on a lot of things, he's not gonna take him out of the story just like that.

Not every Dave is being taken out, just this one.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

This was a fantastic update. I wish we could hear John and Terezi's conversation as well, though.

I think it's likely that Dave's Bro actually cared for him, but he/Dirk are just so hosed up in the head with so many issues that he was that awful of a parent anyways.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Dave's not even done as a character, anyway. This is him finally getting out what's been building inside for as long as we've known him, and he's started to connect with Dirk, but he's hardly finished that transformation. There's still a lot he has to accept about himself, like finding a way to disentangle not wanting to be "A Hero" from still wanting to be there for his friends, and also his Bro, since spending time with Dirk might help him see what love there was in his brother and at least make some peace with it. Then there's his relationship with Karkat that's still a little vague that has places it can go, and he has unfinished business with the three other kids too (I think particularly Jade, since they haven't had a chance to talk since she riddled him with bullets and they've lost the movement they got from the pre-retcon timeline).

The main characters, at least, have a lot of baggage and unfinished business heaped up that we're often pretty leery about ever getting resolution on, but updates like this are encouraging that Hussie will in due time provide resolution. Dave's probably good.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I can't wait for John to meet Jane's Dad in Derse jail and it's all sad and awkward because it's not his Dad but he's so happy to see him and then Jane's Dad gives him a big, understanding Dad hug and says "I am so proud of you" and that Con Air song starts playing and I'll actually truly cry.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Real people don't have arcs.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Pointed out by tumblr:

Karkat was terrified of people finding out about his blood color and got a planet of candyapple red blood. Dave apparently has a thing about clanking metal, and got a planet of gears.

Sburb is an rear end in a top hat.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

But Nepeta loves little cubes and tea!

Akett
Aug 6, 2012

Does that mean John is afraid of the dark?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hey, is anyone else kind of worried that the Mayor is going to try to eat Calliope's eyes?

He compulsively eats anything that's green: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002591 He can't help it, he doesn't even remember doing it after it happens. Like, he's harmless to everything except anything that's green and she's the greenest thing around.

Has he learned to stop doing that? I can't remember.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Blackheart posted:

But Nepeta loves little cubes and tea!

But she was deathly afraid of diabetes!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Even Dirk is profoundly uncomfortable with expressing affection or joy. He didn't so much as smile even when he was high on alien lollipop. Dave's Bro was in a worse situation because he didn't have anybody trying to get through to him, and maybe also because of his lifelong attachment to a socially maladjusted demon puppet.

So he let himself believe that Dave was just this really badass kid who was totally okay with that really aloof relationship. He taught Dave to use the same kind of "ironic" distance that he himself used to cope with his own self-loathing, with the result that even if Dave had been able to understand that he did not like his lifestyle, he'd have no way of expressing it. How could he communicate a sincere emotion to his bro at all?

The irony ninja thing was just a way to not have to actually expose his feelings to anyone - not even to a baby. Which really just means he couldn't stand exposing it to himself. So no vulnerability, no tenderness, no love escaped. Which, of course, taught Dave to be afraid of openness in the same way (though not, it turns out, to the same degree).

Dave's Bro may not have been the last man on earth, but he was no less isolated from his fellow man. Dave may have had a pathologically unaffectionate jackass for a guardian, but he did have an adult taking care of him, relieving some of the pressure of existing while burdened with the disadvantage of being a kid and not knowing what it's supposed to be like. All versions of Dirk appear to have been literally raised by a puppet. It's little wonder the guy's hosed up.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Why stop at her eyes?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It's good that these guys hugged. Those kids need hugs.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Bongo Bill posted:

Even Dirk is profoundly uncomfortable with expressing affection or joy. He didn't so much as smile even when he was high on alien lollipop. Dave's Bro was in a worse situation because he didn't have anybody trying to get through to him, and maybe also because of his lifelong attachment to a socially maladjusted demon puppet.

This actually puts me in mind of how the Calliope cut off from humans was able to grow up tough enough to overcome her brother, while the one that made friends who cherished and fostered her soft edges left her more socially adjusted but without that killer instinct. As bad as Dirk's been, he's had people who care about him to interact with and recognizing when he's hurt them has been an important part of changing his ways. As you describe, Bro can really be understood as a Dirk that never had that chance.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Bobulus posted:

Pointed out by tumblr:

Karkat was terrified of people finding out about his blood color and got a planet of candyapple red blood. Dave apparently has a thing about clanking metal, and got a planet of gears.

Sburb is an rear end in a top hat.

Sburb is an rear end in a top hat, yes, but it seems to hold significantly more contempt for its knight players. I wonder what hosed up poo poo Latula had to deal with.

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Jun 29, 2015

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

nerdbot posted:

I can't wait for John to meet Jane's Dad in Derse jail and it's all sad and awkward because it's not his Dad but he's so happy to see him and then Jane's Dad gives him a big, understanding Dad hug and says "I am so proud of you" and that Con Air song starts playing and I'll actually truly cry.

Seriously. The return of Alpha-Dad is the thing i've most been looking forward to since the hiatus ended.

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~

sirtommygunn posted:

Sburb is an rear end in a top hat, yes, but it seems to hold significantly more contempt for its knight players. I wonder what hosed up poo poo Latula had to deal with.

The Land of Scent and Fragrance. The consorts communicate by releasing little puffs of aroma and her quest was to "Stop and Smell The Roses."

Boneless Jogger
Apr 20, 2010
I got to say, the page where Dave stares at his bloody hands is even more screwed up after this update.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Wyld Karde posted:

The Land of Scent and Fragrance. The consorts communicate by releasing little puffs of aroma and her quest was to "Stop and Smell The Roses."

also, total lack of anything upon which to execute sick grinds

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."
I wonder is Hussie was always intending to frame Bro's upbringing this way. During those early acts the comic had a very different tone, and I mainly remember it seeming like Dave and Bro's relationship was played for laughs & memes.

Having dave now open up about being physically and mentally abused his whole childhood and being raised by a guardian who never loved him, and the fact that dave basically still has PTSD to this day about those things is a sign as how much the comic's tone has natured since then.

Dirks developments were good too, don't get me wrong, but Dave's issues have been building up for so many more years from our perspective and it's really cathartic to finally see them addressed.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
If lands were meant to be hellish for the gamegrrl, surely she would have had the Land of PS3 and PS4?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

This page posted:

TG: whaaaat do u think
TG: it would be like
TG: if we had kids

TT: What would it be like?
TT: Inconvenient, mostly.

TG: no i mean
TG: what would they be like
TG: th kids
TG: u ever think about it?

TT: Can't really say I have.

TG: you know for an eccantric guy you can be boring as gently caress sometimes

TT: Sorry, Rox.
TT: For what it's worth, I'm picturing them now. A boy and a girl.
TT: Two perfect little freaks of nature raised by people who've clearly got no business bringin' up anybody.

This part was "funny because it's true" at the time, now it's more like "painfully true"

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Hey, is anyone else kind of worried that the Mayor is going to try to eat Calliope's eyes?

He compulsively eats anything that's green: http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=002591 He can't help it, he doesn't even remember doing it after it happens. Like, he's harmless to everything except anything that's green and she's the greenest thing around.

Has he learned to stop doing that? I can't remember.

Yeah, once he got ahold of some real produce.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Dang, that was a good one.

Fortis
Oct 21, 2009

feelin' fine
I loved this update.

Dirk's more-or-less confirmation that his splinters are all connected in some way, even across realities, seems to offer a pretty good explanation of why Bro tried to initiate the scratch himself way back when. I always sort of wondered about that.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

The subtlest smile:

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Fortis posted:

I loved this update.

Dirk's more-or-less confirmation that his splinters are all connected in some way, even across realities, seems to offer a pretty good explanation of why Bro tried to initiate the scratch himself way back when. I always sort of wondered about that.

Given that the scratch was necessary for Lord English's creation (sending Jack fleeing the session, which made him appear in the Troll session, which brought Lil' Cal, which was used to alchemize Doc Scratch, which hatched Lord English), it's also possible that if Lil' Cal could influence Bro, that that was part of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Fortis posted:

I loved this update.

If that's true, it makes Dirk very, very, VERY dangerous. Think about it. If he's connected to all his splinters, then he might be connected to AR, and thus Arquiussprite, and thus Lord English. We know he's the one that trapped all the parts of Lord English inside Cal. It's entirely possible that Dirk's status as a hero of Heart and a possible splinter of him being a part of Lord English is what caused that.

Bobulus posted:

Given that the scratch was necessary for Lord English's creation (sending Jack fleeing the session, which made him appear in the Troll session, which brought Lil' Cal, which was used to alchemize Doc Scratch, which hatched Lord English), it's also possible that if Lil' Cal could influence Bro, that that was part of it.

And there another splinter of Dirk is trying to do something that leads to the creation of Lord English.