Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Who What Now posted:

The black murderer has a much better chance of having reformed in the last ten years.
How so?

I assume you're not the single person in the history of the world who has faith in the US prison system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

unlimited shrimp posted:

Isn't saying "the concern with 'ethics in gaming journalism' is valid but talking about it under the GG brand invalidates the argument' just tone policing?

If only we have identified ourselves as Gamer+ or #GamergatePlus we could have avoided the brand of misogyny.

greatn posted:

Because it is true, and because a new movement could avoid being labeled misogynists by not being misogynist and actively keeping those people out of it. You would have to actually have leaders and an organizational structure however.

Except it did largely condemn them, repeatedly and constantly. Considering it's a leadershipless organization (which is pretty stupid) that's the best they could do and actually should count for something.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shadoer posted:

I've said it before, but it's generally because making a new label or hashtag wouldn't do much good. There's no way to ban the rear end in a top hat harassers from a hashtag and the only thing to do is condemn them. Also there's no reason to believe it would gain any good will as other attempts to change the hashtag have resulted in people pointing to it as a "gamergate plot"
I'm trying to avoid a "muslims must apologize for terrorism!" trap here, but basically, I don't see you gaining anything from the label anymore. To anybody but insiders, gamergate seems to be about hating women. There is no positive utility in the label anymore. But there is plenty of use the misogynists are getting out of it.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Shadoer posted:

If only we have identified ourselves as Gamer+ or #GamergatePlus we could have avoided the brand of misogyny.
Why not try something like an alliance with the likes of Sarkeesian? She hates dumb advertising and bad games, you hate dumb advertising and bad games, you'd get feminist cred, she'd get gamer cred, the only losers would be gamergate.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Cingulate posted:

I'm trying to avoid a "muslims must apologize for terrorism!" trap here, but basically, I don't see you gaining anything from the label anymore. To anybody but insiders, gamergate seems to be about hating women. There is no positive utility in the label anymore. But there is plenty of use the misogynists are getting out of it.

GG has the same perception problem as the tea party: everyone knows how they talk, and their interests, so trying to start a new group at this point is useless.

"only a GGer speaks in gaming journalism absolutes."

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

unlimited shrimp posted:

Isn't saying "the concern with 'ethics in gaming journalism' is valid but talking about it under the GG brand invalidates the argument' just tone policing?

No.

Telling a person they have no right to be angry at a person (or institution) who has done them legitimate harm is "tone policing"

When a person is angry, but decides to take that anger out on someone who isn't the person (or institution) who harmed them there is no "tone" to be policed: it's flat out wrong. There's no legitimate harm.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
The trouble with leaderless groups is that the only qualifier for entry is saying "I support #X" and suddenly you're as much an authority as anyone else. The people who actually care about gaming journalism could create a new group tomorrow and it would be co-opted by misogynist assholes with hashtags, whose acerbic bullshit would come to define the movement by default regardless of how valid the claims of the originators.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
They could, as said before, start a consumer advocacy group. As such they would get a certain amount of legal protections against their "brand" being misrepresented.

This would have the net benefit of:

1) Actually being about consumer rights
2) Having legal status
3) Being able to use that legal status to delegitimize attempts to co-opt their brand to attack women

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Zeitgueist posted:

Couple of pages ago, but no, as you know I was heavily involved in those threads and it's pretty much always been about people who are vocal about things that piss white male dudes off and the refrain has always been "buuuuuuuuuut we meant the otherkins". It's always been bullshit.

Sure you can find those types of people but I'd say about 99% of the time that's just a fig leaf because nobody wants to admit they're getting mad about getting called out on bigotry, because how could you be, that would make you Bad and you're not Bad. :allears:

I hope you did not think I was implying that you were one of the "insane posters" that I was referencing! But the feminism thread during that era of D&D got bad enough that it got moved to E/N and fizzled out several years later after the admins changed their moderation stance for that thread (and for SA as a whole) and began rooting out full-on crazies like Sl*shie. These people used to be who I thought of when I saw the term SJW. Not anymore since, as I said in the post you quoted, the term is completely useless now except as a group signifier. That is what I meant by mentioning that and I hope this has cleared it up!

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Ddraig posted:

No.

Telling a person they have no right to be angry at a person (or institution) who has done them legitimate harm is "tone policing"

When a person is angry, but decides to take that anger out on someone who isn't the person (or institution) who harmed them there is no "tone" to be policed: it's flat out wrong. There's no legitimate harm.
That's not tone policing. Tone policing is saying "I'm not going to address your claims because the way you've delivered them makes me uncomfortable." It's an attempt to derail an argument by changing the focus.

If the only difference between a valid and invalid argument is the hashtag used, then that's tone policing.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

This thread is retarded.

You guys do know we are talking about a bunch of dudes on the internet, right?

A vague group of people with vague goals, no real membership to speak of, no real leaders even if they say otherwise.

I mean, if gamergate is inherently evil and is about harassment and anyone associated with them should be shunned, so should be feminists. Heck, they already are in some extent.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

Ddraig posted:

They could, as said before, start a consumer advocacy group. As such they would get a certain amount of legal protections against their "brand" being misrepresented.

This would have the net benefit of:

1) Actually being about consumer rights
2) Having legal status
3) Being able to use that legal status to delegitimize attempts to co-opt their brand to attack women

gee i wonder why nobody from gg has done that yet

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh
The real problem with games journalism is the readers. Well researched features that require months of research and time get a couple hundred thousand hits at the most. Meanwhile, you could write how many clickbait articles in that time and rake in how many millions of eyeballs? People do not go out of their way to read quality content so why bother. Might as well poo poo out 3,000 words a day about the flavor of the month instead.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Cingulate posted:

How so?

I assume you're not the single person in the history of the world who has faith in the US prison system.

If you're asking me to provide actual graphs and poo poo to prove empirically that more black murderers reform than internet misogynists then you're going to be very sorely disappointed, I'm afraid.

Shadoer posted:

Except it did largely condemn them, repeatedly and constantly. Considering it's a leadershipless organization (which is pretty stupid) that's the best they could do and actually should count for something.

Some mealy-mouthed and half-hearted condemnations don't count for anything, no, and nor should they. A little bit more than a barely token effort needs to be put forward to put a stop to such things, and GamerGate hasn't done that and doesn't want to do that because they don't want to lose the majority of their base. Although I'm not sure why because there isn't really any concrete goals to direct that base towards in the first place.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Let us English posted:

The real problem with games journalism is the readers. Well researched features that require months of research and time get a couple hundred thousand hits at the most. Meanwhile, you could write how many clickbait articles in that time and rake in how many millions of eyeballs? People do not go out of their way to read quality content so why bother. Might as well poo poo out 3,000 words a day about the flavor of the month instead.

As an inveterate shitposter I can confirm this to be true.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The comments on that article were particularly informative. They confirm my two main points:

1. GGers are more concerned with self-esteem than actual policies. Several commenters outright say they want to stop the "constant derision" levelled at gamers.

2. The policies boil down to whinging about those people. There's rumbling about "corruption" (those people are corrupt). Of course they're right about liberalism being corrupt, but they simply want another flavour of liberalism. Shadoer has stated this several times ("we only disagree with their tactics"). Totalizator stated in one awful post that he followed GG just see "Tumblr burn". Similar sentiments can be found in the comments: fall in line, or you will burn (paraphrased, but "burn" is there).

GGers don't organise because they don't want to. That would ruin the fun.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Jun 29, 2015

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Cardboard Box A posted:

This a good and well-stated point. Thank you.

However, there still exists the very important perception that Anita is an outsider, which has fueled and continues to fuel much of the reaction. You can see this in-group/out-group thinking illustrated very well by the following Penny Arcade comic.

Note the phrase "our heritage." The simple matter of games becoming more mainstream and catching on with the "popular kids" and "jocks" and "bullies who beat them up in P.E." was in and of itself an affront. If they hadn't played Kid Icarus (or NES games in general) they were NOT part of the in-group.

The inverse sort of applies to Anita - if she got into gaming with the NES and back into gaming with the Wii and mostly plays mobile and quirky indie games on the PC, then that makes her an outsider. She didn't get into it with the Playstation Generation, she doesn't purchase and consume the most expensive AAA blockbusters (the subject of her "not a fan" comment), end of story.

Thanks! Yeah, it is important in the reaction to her. And the 'our heritage' concept is one of the reasons why GG is focused on the indies rather than AAA. They feel that there are people suddenly coming into their hobby after all these years of being mocked and made fun of and dictating to them what they should like now that it is suddenly cool and socially acceptable (well, not totally. But more than it has been). What they don't realize is that gaming has exploded and makes more money than Hollywood, even with blockbusters like the Avengers. It is no longer niche, even if some games are. And you notice these niche games are not the typical focus of people.

Like in CK2 or EU4, one game where you can preform human sacrifice and kidnap women to be your concubine and the other where you are committing genocide against natives and converting them to your culture by force. Nobody goes after them because the audience is still rather small and if you protested them, barely anyone would know what you were talking about.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

Who What Now posted:

Some mealy-mouthed and half-hearted condemnations don't count for anything, no, and nor should they. A little bit more than a barely token effort needs to be put forward to put a stop to such things, and GamerGate hasn't done that and doesn't want to do that because they don't want to lose the majority of their base. Although I'm not sure why because there isn't really any concrete goals to direct that base towards in the first place.

You've pretty neatly described both sides' methodology. Their goals are basically "destroy the other at whatever cost."

CoolCat
Jun 29, 2015

Well said...

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Cingulate posted:

Realistically, because at the moment it is achieving strategic goals. A bunch of the game review sites that were effectively corrupt have lost their audience and their advertising revenue and are facing some difficult financial realities. Because of the knee jerk reaction against censorship, it's now impossible for a campaign to prevent a game from launching on major sites like steam simply for political reasons, and creating alternative media. Also any useful organization like a consumer advocacy group will probably rise up from the organization.

Cingulate posted:

Why not try something like an alliance with the likes of Sarkeesian? She hates dumb advertising and bad games, you hate dumb advertising and bad games, you'd get feminist cred, she'd get gamer cred, the only losers would be gamergate.

Well in her case it would be more a problem with her partner McIntosh than anything else. However yes, ultimately working with other people on the other side can have benefits and there are a bunch of things for which people have common cause if they admit it or not. It's something possible in the future.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I have not read this thread and I don't read about videogames very much, can somebody please explain to me what's wrong with gaming journalism so I can be better informed? Thank you.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

GGers don't organise because they don't want to. That would ruin the fun.

Or, I don't know, it's kinda loving impossible.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

corn in the bible posted:

I have not read this thread and I don't read about videogames very much, can somebody please explain to me what's wrong with gaming journalism so I can be better informed? Thank you.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

So websites can't have games advertise on them, and they can't have non-game sponsors. This seems like a lucrative business, I'm gettin' back in the game.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Shadoer posted:

Realistically, because at the moment it is achieving strategic goals. A bunch of the game review sites that were effectively corrupt have lost their audience and their advertising revenue and are facing some difficult financial realities. Because of the knee jerk reaction against censorship, it's now impossible for a campaign to prevent a game from launching on major sites like steam simply for political reasons, and creating alternative media. Also any useful organization like a consumer advocacy group will probably rise up from the organization.

Wow, this is about as dumb as lauding "the thriving YouTube community" (which is also "effectively" corrupt). These measures do nothing to fight against the corruption, they simply cover it up.

e:

corn in the bible posted:

Gaming journalism is almost ocmpletely advertainment, or adveritising expressed as entertainment. This is stuff like major gaming sites and YouTube LPs.

Gamers revolted that those people were corrupting journalism, and measures were enacted to conceal that gaming journalism is advertainment. Some gamers now think of themselves as a social movement for changing the face of advertainment.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 29, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
There is no "both sides." There is a pack of misogynistic cultist freaks, and there are the normal people rejecting them.

Cingulate posted:

How so?

Why do you keep saying "how so" like you're broken? He just told you. GG is grosser and puts a permanent stench of patheticness on you. Black men who go to prison generally don't deserve to (yeah I know you are a "race realist," so there's no point in trying to convince you of that). Participating in GG, on the other hand, is the very definition of deserving things, including isolation and joblessness.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

SedanChair posted:

There is no "both sides." There is a pack of misogynistic cultist freaks, and there are the normal people rejecting them.

Normal people have no idea what any of this is, and probably think tweeting is a thing only birds do.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

SedanChair posted:

Did you just called Gamergate normal?

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Wow, this is about as dumb as lauding "the thriving YouTube community" (which is also "effectively" corrupt). These measures do nothing to fight against the corruption, they simply cover it up.

You know, you never did explain how you'd get rid of corruption beyond that it somehow involved eliminating the capitalist system and magically people wouldn't become corrupt anymore.

SedanChair posted:

Participating in GG, on the other hand, is the very definition of deserving things, including isolation and joblessness.

Because they have opinions different than yours?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

Jesus loving christ, I had no idea Eron, or at least someone positioning themselves as Eron at the head of the burgeoning movement, was social engineering their way into Comfort Inn, Choice Hotels International, Inc.

If that really was Eron, then I really have no sympathy left for his whining that Gamergate had rendered him unemployable.

Yeah, he's basically an obsessed weirdo at point. Like the "sure I have a new girlfriend, but I've spent months working on my magnum opus ZOE POST 2 and I didnt go far enough and if I go to jail for violating the restraining order against me it will be automatically published!!!" kind of weirdo.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2015/04/28/gamergate/

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

This photoshop of a guy I've never seen before has definitely explained things, thank you.

Lotophage
Apr 26, 2015

by Lowtax
Is it just me or are there some serious MRA undertones to GG? I even see some PUA negging going on, and throw some GOP bullshit in there too. Also they have stinky fedoras.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Bholder posted:

Or, I don't know, it's kinda loving impossible.

Sad Puppies managed to do that - it is a small circle of writers set on achieving the clear goal. They are responsible for their own actions and can only answer for their own political views. They can also separate themselves from the Vox Day crew (Rabid Puppies) and from the random crowd of their gamergate brethen.

Sure, they willingly associate themselves with scum, but at least they can leave the room with their hands clean when some nutso starts threatening people in their name or when a socially-stunted idiot carrying their brand tries to interrupt a speaker on a nerd convention.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Slanderer posted:

Yeah, he's basically an obsessed weirdo at point. Like the "sure I have a new girlfriend, but I've spent months working on my magnum opus ZOE POST 2 and I didnt go far enough and if I go to jail for violating the restraining order against me it will be automatically published!!!" kind of weirdo.

http://www.bostonmagazine.com/news/article/2015/04/28/gamergate/

He also didn't shut the gently caress up about things before talking to a lawyer so he got a gag order.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

fatherboxx posted:

Sad Puppies managed to do that - it is a small circle of writers set on achieving the clear goal. They are responsible for their own actions and can only answer for their own political views. They can also separate themselves from the Vox Day crew (Rabid Puppies) and from the random crowd of their gamergate brethen.

Sure, they willingly associate themselves with scum, but at least they can leave the room with their hands clean when some nutso starts threatening people in their name or when socially-stunted idiots try to interrupt a speaker on a nerd convention.

Hope you see the important distinction here.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Shadoer posted:

You know, you never did explain how you'd get rid of corruption

By ending the video game industry.

Your mistake lies in assuming that the industry or the advertainment surrounding it can be "redeemed," that we might have 'capitalism with a human face'. But there is no removing corruption from the industry, because the industry is the corruption.

The gaming media is a marketing tool. YouTube LPers are simply the cutting edge of advertainment.

GGers don't want to get rid of the corruption, they simply want to make it palatable. They have no problem with gaming media being an extension of the industry's marketing corps, because they want it to be that. GG (and AGG) are about getting the market's favour. GGers themselves say that they're a consumer revolt. They want to be told that games are good, and that they're not misogynists or racists or whatever. They simply want to not be bothered when they consume products, like a liberal who drinks Fair Trade coffee.

e: Like your "thriving YouTube community". It's a microcosm of capitallism. "We consume products together! We're happy!"

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 29, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

InsanityIsCrazy posted:

Normal people have no idea what any of this is, and probably think tweeting is a thing only birds do.

It's true that I feel myself getting less normal every time I read a post like this:

Cardboard Box A posted:

Like a lot of things we discuss, not all of the reactions by every single person, no.

However, the extremely popular videos that were the subject of Adam Baldwin's original gamergate tweet... the marshalling of a personal army via salacious sex gossip... the focus (thanks to Eron) on Quinn herself far more than the members of the press who allegedly extorted sex for coverage... the quasi-revenge porn spreading and sending of her nudes to family and friends and known associates... the raid IRC... reddit and chan culture... the entire "5 guys" meme...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4bILqkO7DY

http://www.buzzfeed.com/josephbernstein/the-man-who-sparked-gamergate-regrets-the-harassment-but-say

...yeah, the slut shaming going on was downright minimal.

Bonus SA reference:

Yep.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

My nephew really likes minecraft.

InsanityIsCrazy
Jan 25, 2003

by Lowtax

SedanChair posted:

It's true that I feel myself getting less normal every time I read a post like this:

CBA can have that effect on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Shadoer posted:

Because they have opinions different than yours?

Yes, absolutely. More specifically because they have opinions about women being inferior sluts that need to get back to the kitchen.

• Locked thread