Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Sizone posted:

Would I regret it if I only crossgraded to komplete 10 instead of komplete ultimate?

My regret when I did this with 9 was that I had to spend an evening installing and swapping the dozen or so DVDs that contain the regular edition of the software, I think ultimate comes on an external HDD so you'll save yourself a bunch of hassle when initially loading it (and potentially reinstalling later on). As far as content there's a couple of things in ultimate that would be nice to own but really I haven't even made a big dent in everything given to me in the standard version. It's way cheaper than buying it all piecemeal though so if there's even a few things you are eying off in ultimate then go that way if you can afford it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Sizone posted:

Would I regret it if I only crossgraded to komplete 10 instead of komplete ultimate?

I'd look through the comparison chart between the two packages and see if there are enough extra instruments/effects/whatever in Ultimate that you'd buy in addition to the ones in regular Komplete to make upgrading worth it.

When I did this, the only thing I really wanted that wasn't in the normal package was Razor, so I just bought that when it went on sale.

edit: installing off the DVDs does suck but it doesn't 100s of dollars suck.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets

Swagger Dagger posted:

I'd look through the comparison chart between the two packages and see if there are enough extra instruments/effects/whatever in Ultimate that you'd buy in addition to the ones in regular Komplete to make upgrading worth it.

When I did this, the only thing I really wanted that wasn't in the normal package was Razor, so I just bought that when it went on sale.

edit: installing off the DVDs does suck but it doesn't 100s of dollars suck.

Consider that fact that fewer and fewer laptops are coming with cd/dvd drive and it could hundreds of dollars suck in the future.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

philkop posted:

Consider that fact that fewer and fewer laptops are coming with cd/dvd drive and it could hundreds of dollars suck in the future.
An external usb dvd drive is $25 and could serve you over the lifetime of a couple of laptops.

e: Also rip to isos now, do not worry about discs degrading later.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

philkop posted:

I mean, sure, if all of these 30 dollar external blu-ray drives I just found on amazon disappear in like a decade

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

philkop posted:

Am I the only person in this thread who uses a desktop computer? Seriously, what do you guys play steam games on?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I'm vaguely aware what steam is, but I've never seen it in person.

e: I do play games casually, but they're generally 25-30 years old.

e2: That all probably makes me sound like some sort of dick with a point to make. The idea is that I can get by with a laptop easily because of that, end of story.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 28, 2015

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

RandomCheese posted:

My regret when I did this with 9 was that I had to spend an evening installing and swapping the dozen or so DVDs that contain the regular edition of the software, I think ultimate comes on an external HDD so you'll save yourself a bunch of hassle when initially loading it (and potentially reinstalling later on).

I'm about to get the crossgrade myself. If I'm reading it correctly from native instruments' site, it's a digital download.

Also, I'm disappointed that there's no discounts on komplete on jrrshop anymore.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
After you register the product (i.e. after you install it) then you can just download the isos from their website for free.

It installed way faster the second time.

n.ed: with 9, anyway. Maybe 10 is just a digital download? That'd be way better.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer

crimedog posted:

I'm about to get the crossgrade myself. If I'm reading it correctly from native instruments' site, it's a digital download.

Also, I'm disappointed that there's no discounts on komplete on jrrshop anymore.

When I crossgraded from Maschine to Komplete 9 it didn't actually give me an option for digital download so I had to get the disc bundle internationally shipped.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

philkop posted:

NI quietly enabled the ability to do download-only purchases of Komplete 10 regular and ultimate. They flipped the switch sometime last week.

I don't know if they enabled it for all geographies (people from different regions get different prices and stock allocations, etc when logged into NI's site), but it's definitely enabled for North America now.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

Sizone posted:

Well the little hard drive is BS for a start. It just goes and gets the upgrades online.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

0dB posted:

Well the little hard drive is BS for a start. It just goes and gets the upgrades online.
That's completely false. A couple of the products aren't even included on the drive; you have to download them separately after activating Komplete in the Service Center.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009
Er, yeah ... so that too. That was the point I'm making?

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

0dB posted:

Er, yeah ... so that too. That was the point I'm making?
I thought you were saying that it doesn't install any content from the drive itself. You said the drive gets updates online, which isn't correct. After you install content off the drive, you get updates online.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Weird, the Komplete installer executable downloads .isos of all the products into a temp directory. Good thing too because the automated installer process keeps loving up on me.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
So it doesn't look like it's possible to do what I want with abletons drum rack. I have the "Last rack you'll ever need" with the setup to essentially browse through all of your drum hits in their own sections by linking the select feature in zone to a macro. It's great, but I have one major gripe. I can't have a "Master" sample select, or any other button. I'd like a single knob to control the macro on whatever current pad is selected. Basically I want a sample select knob, a tune knob, a decay knob, and maybe a few others, but with the ability to only affect the last hit drum part.

Any good MPC mimicking vsts that would do something similar? Preferably free

philkop fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Jun 28, 2015

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Live can assign more than one thing to any macro. You could set up the macro dials in your drum rack to map to every slot's tune, or decay, or whatever. That way, it's functionally identical to a master, albeit with a more involved setup, which you'd only do that once. Only affecting the last used hit is a different beast, though.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

wayfinder posted:

Live can assign more than one thing to any macro. You could set up the macro dials in your drum rack to map to every slot's tune, or decay, or whatever. That way, it's functionally identical to a master, albeit with a more involved setup, which you'd only do that once. Only affecting the last used hit is a different beast, though.

Yeah, but they would all tune at once. I can't for the life of me figure out away around this. There's got to be something.

E: poo poo, maybe I can map an on/off for the said macros alongside each drum hit

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

Radiapathy posted:

NI quietly enabled the ability to do download-only purchases of Komplete 10 regular and ultimate. They flipped the switch sometime last week.

I don't know if they enabled it for all geographies (people from different regions get different prices and stock allocations, etc when logged into NI's site), but it's definitely enabled for North America now.

Just confirming that Komplete 10 can be had for download-only purchase (in North America at least). No DVDs, boys!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Sizone posted:

Am I the only person in this thread who uses a desktop computer? Seriously, what do you guys play steam games on?

After using a laptop for years, I went desktop. Do you know how often I travel and work on audio? Never. I prefer having a home-base.

And as for Steam games, I installed another hard drive and have a separate OS X installation (Mavericks) for that, whereas my audio side is running 10.7 or 10.8, I can't remember.

Gym Leader Barack
Oct 31, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I use a desktop hackintosh and deliberately omitted an optical drive when I built the computer two years ago. Since that time Komplete has been the only piece of software to have necessitated such a drive.

I would totally have bought a digital-only version, but it's kind of cool owning a fat box of software with a binder full of discs, you just don't see that sort of thing anymore with anything still offered as physical media coming in a slim dvd case.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

RandomCheese posted:

I use a desktop hackintosh and deliberately omitted an optical drive when I built the computer two years ago. Since that time Komplete has been the only piece of software to have necessitated such a drive.

I would totally have bought a digital-only version, but it's kind of cool owning a fat box of software with a binder full of discs, you just don't see that sort of thing anymore with anything still offered as physical media coming in a slim dvd case.

I'm with you there, I have this:

... and love having it on my shelf. Helps that they're awesome synths.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
I'm feeling some pretty hard buyers remorse over komplete. The only thing in the package that I didn't already have that handles alternative tunings with a minimum of fuss is absynth. I guess you can do microtunings with kontact, but it requires learning its drat scripting language and I'm still not sure knotact 5 can support scales that have more or fewer than 12 tones.

Shoulda just stuck with Reaktor.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Sizone posted:

I just built a new desktop computer for music (and the occasional game) a couple weeks ago. And it's got two optical drives (which helped both in installing Windows 7 and Cubase 8). Even without overclocking it's letting me run nearly three times as many plugins as on my old i7-950 system.

And yeah, there is no single answer to "Is Komplete worth it?" I regularly use about 25% of Komplete Ultimate, so I got my money's worth. But everyone has different needs.

Radiapathy fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 29, 2015

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

You can't snuggle up in bed with a desktop computer. That's where I make my most sensual music.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

You can't snuggle up in bed with a desktop computer. That's where I make my most sensual music.

This guy knows.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Sizone posted:

I'm not a huge gamer but I play steam games on my MacBook Pro and it works fine? It can handle Crusader Kings 2 and the odd indie game so that's good enough for me.

And yeah external CD/DVD drives are easy to get and dirt cheap so that's really not something to worry about in the next 5-10 years or so

I have not owned a desktop computer in almost 10 years now and I do not miss it at all

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002
Does anyone have the synth1 VST working in 64-bit Ableton on OSX (yosemite)? The AU version loads in Garage Band but I can't get the VST to appear in the Ableton plugin list.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
You need the latest Beta version that fixes OSX 64bit

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I was looking into some of Applied Acoustics Systems' plugins, and apparently there's a up to 50% off action that ends July 31, 2015.

Acoustic modeling sounds loving great. Still not sure what to get. I was looking into Chromaphone, but maybe String Studio is more what I need.

Anyone use any of their products? Apart from their ancient freebies, that is.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I've got several of them (Chromaphone, Lounge Lizard Session, Ultra Analog), and I like them quite a bit. Chromaphone is a particular favorite - I just don't have anything else in my toolbox that does quite what it does.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Trig Discipline posted:

Chromaphone is a particular favorite - I just don't have anything else in my toolbox that does quite what it does.
Right. I like the idea of the expressive percussive sounds but I'm also interested in the plucked string emulation in it. For the latter, I just read it doesn't receive pitch bend, which seems a shame.

Agh. I don't know.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave
Chromaphone is great, has my vote.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Anybody have a korg legacy pack they never used? It comes free with a lot of korg keyboard products.

I'm specifically looking for the lounge lizards session VST and I'm doing this new thing where I don't pirate anything.

I make wallets and I'm down for a trade.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but Lounge Lizard Session is not made by Korg, so it's not going to be in the Korg Legacy Collection.

Maybe you're looking for either. LLS is now on sale; it was made by AAS, which we were just talking about. Link is a couple of posts up.

On the other hand, there's a free legacy package of 32bit win vsts from Soundfonts.it that has some good physical modeling electric pianos in it. Here. I think it might even be a direct predecessor, but I'm not sure. Might be enough for your needs, so you can focus on getting KLC anyway, 'cause it's neat.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Flipperwaldt posted:

Maybe I'm reading that wrong, but Lounge Lizard Session is not made by Korg, so it's not going to be in the Korg Legacy Collection.

Maybe you're looking for either. LLS is now on sale; it was made by AAS, which we were just talking about. Link is a couple of posts up.

On the other hand, there's a free legacy package of 32bit win vsts from Soundfonts.it that has some good physical modeling electric pianos in it. Here. I think it might even be a direct predecessor, but I'm not sure. Might be enough for your needs, so you can focus on getting KLC anyway, 'cause it's neat.

I was thinking of this guy here: http://www.korg-license-center.com/

E: looks like it was thrown in with a few bundles.

I was specifically looking at the taktile and almost bought it before I realized there were two versions. I was hoping for triton version at the price I was about the pay, but nope.

philkop fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 20, 2015

Anveo
Mar 23, 2002

MrTheDevious posted:

You need the latest Beta version that fixes OSX 64bit

That's what I'm using ( 1.13beta8 ) which is why I'm curious if anyone actively has the latest VST working in Live.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

philkop posted:

E: looks like it was thrown in with a few bundles.
I wasn't aware of the bundling. I see where you were going with that now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Flipperwaldt posted:

I wasn't aware of the bundling. I see where you were going with that now.

Yeah the 32bit wouldn't work for me since I use ableton with mostly 64 bit vsts, but I know someone somewhere out there received this for free and has it lying in some box unused somewhere :)

I've tried a few other electric piano vsts but really liked the lounge lizard with I tried it.

:Although the analog lab vst that came with my minilab has some pretty sweet key sounds as well, I just hate the editing software.