Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
So is it confirmed that once the 'sneak peek' is over the gold pools are meshed, or is everyone just saying that and crossing their fingers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Aesis posted:

Atago's concealment is insane. I have Concealment System and camo on and I have to get to within 10 km to be detected by enemy :stare:
It kind of feels like they just released WoT and the only tier 8 premium is a Type 59 lol. The forward angle torps are just the icing on the cake.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
I appreciate all of the people that take this game very seriously after dying. The only positive aspect of the Kawachi is all of the time you can spend communicating with your ancestral spirits while slowly trundling towards a ring of buoys in the ocean.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

Woah, wait. There's an anticollision system? Is that why my boats inexplicably start turning on their own and get my rear end killed as I'm trying to skirt around an island to avoid a horrible fiery death?

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Why is every game i play unbalanced in the other guys favour?

TehKeen posted:

Woah, wait. There's an anticollision system? Is that why my boats inexplicably start turning on their own and get my rear end killed as I'm trying to skirt around an island to avoid a horrible fiery death?

Yeah its great isn't it?

Magni
Apr 29, 2009

TehKeen posted:

Yes. You can deactivate it in the settings.

Also, there's now a setting there called Alternate [something] Mode that causes the game to permanently display the info you normally get from holding down the Alt key.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

:stare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a4gyJsY0mc

over 30k fire damage

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Sometimes the Phoenix can be absurdly good, it's about as agile as a Kuma, and with the fully upgraded hull it does in fact pack a punch, I've beaten the poo poo out of St. Louises multiple times by using the 2+km range advantage the Phoenix enjoys, along with its 35kt top speed and higher agility to dance outside of their range while raining shells on them at a rate of almost 9 rounds per minute. It fits a completely different role than the St. Louis, where the StLou can just wade into a fight and drag someone down like a bulldog, the Phoenix can use its range advantage and speed advantage to punish enemies lower tier than it. I've also noticed that I got far more pens in the Phoenix than I ever did as a St. Louis, but I'm keeping the StLou around because it is great for seal-clubbing people in lower tier matches.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 29, 2015

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I want to play American DDs but it's just loving impossible right now. The torps are so short range they're suicide and you're not even guaranteed to hit because they're so slow. The Clemson has decent guns, but the range is so short it causes the same problem. If I were to be ignored, I'd be a loving monster but no, the enemy team is always in groups of 3+ so you get slaughtered before you can do any appreciable damage. I can't ambush either, because every time I try SOMEONE on the enemy team spots me and pubs are too alert. :(

edit: I did have another confederate match after that Phoenix game in my Wyoming - the highlight was blapping a Tenryu with a full broadside of HE. :laugh:

I wish I could have the same amount of luck with my DDs. :(

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I do know that once I've unlocked the Phoenix, while I won't completely skip it, I will start it fully-equipped to make the grind less of a pain. I might even blow through my 'extra xp' banners just to speed it up a bit. It's not like they'll be that worthwhile later on when the grind's going to be slow anyway.

Also, again:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

So is it confirmed that once the 'sneak peek' is over the gold pools are meshed, or is everyone just saying that and crossing their fingers?

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Jun 29, 2015

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010
Used the XP banners to get through the Kawachii, might do the same for the Furukata. Depends on whether or not the grind is worse than my RPG-hoarder syndrome.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
Found this, what's not to love about the Zuihou.
Or hate, depending on which side of the planes you're on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd5bm4Iq3HE

This is insane, who ever thought this could be balanced need to be sent to count trees in siberia.

Krogort fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 29, 2015

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I do know that once I've unlocked the Phoenix, while I won't completely skip it, I will start it fully-equipped to make the grind less of a pain. I might even blow through my 'extra xp' banners just to speed it up a bit. It's not like they'll be that worthwhile later on when the grind's going to be slow anyway.

Also, again:

Well, the Phoenix is like an Omaha with about a kilometer extra gun range (at the loss of your 2 double-turrets on fore and aft, which hurts less than you would think as you have an extra single-gun mount amidships, and double-turrets always fire weird anyways) and about 1000 less HP, it has the same engine and torps, and turns roughly the same, and slots into the same spot as the Omaha quite decently. Both are completely obsoleted by the Cleveland Steamer though.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Krogort posted:

Found this, what's not to love about the Zuihou.
Or hate, depending on which side of the planes you're on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd5bm4Iq3HE

This is insane, who ever thought this could be balanced need to be sent to count trees in siberia.

I also found that video...on the previous page :v:

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yes, Wargaming has said that the accounts will be meshed once open beta starts.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The only reason that is happening is because there are so few carriers about, and so few tier 6+ ships about that the tier 4 and 5 carriers are consistently getting 1v0 battles as top tier against tier 3-5 vessels with low AA capability.

Once more people get carriers, especially Bogues, the problem will go away.

Radio-Controlled
Mar 31, 2005
The man for the job.

demonR6 posted:

What server were you on? I didn't see you and I have been in there for hours.

NA server for a few hours last night. Not on at the moment. What's you name in game I'll look you up?

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

The only reason that is happening is because there are so few carriers about, and so few tier 6+ ships about that the tier 4 and 5 carriers are consistently getting 1v0 battles as top tier against tier 3-5 vessels with low AA capability.

Once more people get carriers, especially Bogues, the problem will go away.

The reason it's happening is that you can manual drop torpedoes at close range where it is extremely difficult or impossible to avoid them (depending on ship). Expecting every Japanese carrier with torp planes to be countered by a carrier with fighter planes on the other team is absurd.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Warbadger posted:

The reason it's happening is that you can manual drop torpedoes at close range where it is extremely difficult or impossible to avoid them (depending on ship). Expecting every Japanese carrier with torp planes to be countered by a carrier with fighter planes on the other team is absurd.

Unless they reverted it in 0.4.0 (not reached a carrier yet, couldn't get onto test), the last 0.3.x build we got broke manual dropping so that landing a drop that actually hit a target required more target prediction than firing at max range with a battleship, and someone sailing in a dead straight line, ie manual dropping was functionally impossible against an average player or better

I haven't had anyone do a manual drop on me yet this week, all autodrops from Hoshos and Zuihos

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

Apparently they are removing the Atago and Atlanta from the store (according to asia server patch notes).

http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/common/ver-0401-maintenance/

ohsosad
Feb 11, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

Unless they reverted it in 0.4.0 (not reached a carrier yet, couldn't get onto test), the last 0.3.x build we got broke manual dropping so that landing a drop that actually hit a target required more target prediction than firing at max range with a battleship, and someone sailing in a dead straight line, ie manual dropping was functionally impossible against an average player or better

I haven't had anyone do a manual drop on me yet this week, all autodrops from Hoshos and Zuihos

You can still manual drop, I've been playing the Japanese carriers since the wipe seal clubbing BBs with it.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

NTRabbit posted:

And yet the video linked is from the current patch and shows a dude cleaning house by manual dropping torps.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

ohsosad posted:

Apparently they are removing the Atago and Atlanta from the store (according to asia server patch notes).

They're trying to get us all to buy more gold before they link up Botes to the gold in our unified accounts, there's no other actual reason for that to not be done when premium days have already been connected.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

uhh, are you playing the same game everyone else is playing?

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
The moment when I realized Arkansas had 0 AA :stare:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

ohsosad posted:

Open beta patch went live right now, along with all maintenance on NA, once everything is back up there will be alot of sour people

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

I was waiting to rebuy the Atlanta, not sure why. Guess I'm boned for a bit.

Meh, my Gremy will harvest the tears of the uninitiated well enough.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

uhh, are you playing the same game everyone else is playing?

Did you not play the last week before the wipe?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys

Aesis posted:

The moment when I realized Arkansas had 0 AA :stare:

I'm not sure what is worse- having literally no AA or having low tier "5 guys with a surplus Maxim gun and harsh language" for AA.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

NTRabbit posted:

Did you not play the last week before the wipe?

Last week does not equal this week. It seems you aren't playing the same game as us. In the current patch, manual drops happen, and they happen at near point-blank range. I legitimately do not understand how you have not yet seen this happen, unless you're at a tier where carriers are uncommon.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

demonR6 posted:

My friends.. this is how you Atago! Banzai!!!!

Yes, this is a full-size screencap.

Since my Atlanta got wiped and all my gold is back I'm going to have to grab this one. She looks purdy.

I'm going to be so behind since I'm been playing Witcher 3 on my new graphics card.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

Last week does not equal this week. It seems you aren't playing the same game as us. In the current patch, manual drops happen, and they happen at near point-blank range. I legitimately do not understand how you have not yet seen this happen, unless you're at a tier where carriers are uncommon.

I'm at tier 3 on everything, and I've sailed my Arkansas. I've legitimately not seen more than one carrier in a battle at a time, I have yet to see an American carrier - smart people are doing the awful early Japanese ones now before AA and American carriers turn them back into a nightmare to sail - and it's all been autodrops as near as I can tell.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

ohsosad posted:

This is retarded simply because once they mesh the gold pools - people who've banked an absolutely absurd amount of gold will probably buy both, which opens up the potential for them to have to BUY MORE GOLD in the future.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is retarded simply because once they mesh the gold pools - people who've banked an absolutely absurd amount of gold will probably buy both, which opens up the potential for them to have to BUY MORE GOLD in the future.

No see, if they announce they're removing them before the mesh, then those people will buy gold now to get them before it happens, whereas if they wait until the mesh many of those people may never buy more gold, especially if they're earning it in tanks tournaments.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Yep - just was able to log in and the Atago and Atlanta are gone from the in-game store. Ha ha...gently caress Wargaming.

EDIT: Evidently the reason they removed them is they were being used too effectively for seal-clubbing at the moment. They'll only return when there's enough natural tech tree opponents around to challenge them.

:10bux: says they'll be purchasable for *actual* money by the weekend for people who don't want to wait.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jun 29, 2015

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yep - just was able to log in and the Atago and Atlanta are gone from the in-game store. Ha ha...gently caress Wargaming.

EDIT: Evidently the reason they removed them is they were being used too effectively for seal-clubbing at the moment. They'll only return when there's enough natural tech tree opponents around to challenge them.

:10bux: says they'll be purchasable for *actual* money by the weekend for people who don't want to wait.

I'll take your :10bux: and raise you :10bux:. :Wargaming:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
So, is the game in open beta now? I see the server has changed from CBT to WOWS, but there's no announcement on the site.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Hazdoc posted:

So, is the game in open beta now? I see the server has changed from CBT to WOWS, but there's no announcement on the site.

It's in headstart, virtual OBT but for CBT participants only

Vorkosigan
Mar 28, 2012

Hazdoc posted:

Nope, tried to log in with a non-CBT account, got denied.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
I wonder what will come in place of Atago/Atlanta.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Aesis posted:

I wonder what will come in place of Atago/Atlanta.

They're coming back - except I think they're woefully underestimating how long it'll take for 'average players' to round out the playable ship pool.

The reasoning is horseshit - they didn't mind in the least in the first few weeks of WoT with the upper tiers being dominated by Lowes and Clownshoes - this is just a ploy to get people to drop $50 each in a few days' time for a ~special introductory package~.