Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Elman posted:

Does this seem doable at all?

I should be able to get admin efficiency soon enough, but I still have to beat the Ottomans and a bunch of major powers before I even come close to the achievement, and there's only 110 years left. I'm this close to just quitting and considering it a learning experience since there's a lot of stuff I could improve here (like how I didn't wait to get a few vassals before westernizing, which means I have to core everything). It might be worth a shot, though.

Maybe. You should be able to vassalize Ethiopia still after you take some provinces from them, they are Muslim tech. Similarly, North African nations are still eligible for vassalization. If you feel militarily able to stand up to the Ottomans then you can likely do it, but it will be tough.

Jazerus fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Are there any admin advisers that are notable for having good events tied to them?

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

double nine posted:

Are there any admin advisers that are notable for having good events tied to them?

master of mint + trader gives gives an event thats either -1 stab for +5 mercantilisim or +100 adm/+100 dip if you ever chose to get +5 merc the event won't repeat again. Production efficiency guy decreases the chance to get a comet. And thats it for useful events as far as I remember. Of course there are the +3 advisor event but every advisor has one of those.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

b0lt posted:

Why do my borders always end up being so awful? :saddowns:

edit: Also, my heir is Karl, from Kongo :psyduck:

The snake border is always good to see. I tried doing the guarantee France, Ottomans and Russia achievement as Ming, but the Ottomans were too large to be guaranteed so first I had to dismantle them. So what to do but to snake one's way there...

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The snake border isn't good to see, it's bad to see and I do not want to see it.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Snake borders are canon for China

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Snake borders are canon for China

Ugh, Paradox, fix your poo poo.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Whats the story behind Jan Mayen? They were a country in northern Germany in one of my custom nation starts.

Contrecoup posted:

Those stats are bast on game starts, so my 1001 experiments with being a Gothic culture no-religion Daimyo in Ireland or whatever poo poo I tried just to test how absurd of a country I could make are each considered just as serious as your actual attempt to play a long game and accomplish something.
This is a good point. I have done the same thing. Maybe not 1001 because I am far too lazy to re-do my idea sets over and over again, but still.

And that reminds me that we should have the option to save our NI setup for custom nations.

And it also reminds me that it would be neat to generate a random world then pick a country to play as (and be able to set up custom government and NIs).

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It's a little easter egg from Victoria 2.

Contrecoup posted:

Those stats are bast on game starts, so my 1001 experiments with being a Gothic culture no-religion Daimyo in Ireland or whatever poo poo I tried just to test how absurd of a country I could make are each considered just as serious as your actual attempt to play a long game and accomplish something.

nah I forget exactly what the parameters were but Wiz said there was something that kept it from counting multiple restarts from the same computer within a certain period of time or something like that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bort Bortles posted:

Whats the story behind Jan Mayen? They were a country in northern Germany in one of my custom nation starts.

It's the EU4 version of the secret bear joke.

One thing I don't really like about custom nations is that it reminds me a lot of the ruler designer from CK2, which is usually really cool and I like to use it to customize my dynasty or sometimes do something silly like Muslim Tribal Ireland (don't do that, anyone you make a count will somehow make the church his primary title and become feudal and then they hate your guts. the player can't easily do it themselves, though.), but there's a million people in this thread who are like 'so i started in 1444 as a custom nation owning the entirety of the english channel with 10% discipline and 20% morale as traditions but i'm having trouble with france! what do i do?' and it's just like, wow.

Custom Nation <massive european blob> is the Mongol Jain of EU4.

Larry Parrish fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jun 29, 2015

Epinephrine
Nov 7, 2008

Bort Bortles posted:

http://www.victoria2wiki.com/Jan_Mayen All 10 of those pop are polar bears. Their true destiny? Nothing less than world conquest.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'd love to know where and with what ideas people are starting their custom nations. If I were a betting man I'd gamble on most of it being "100% military idea super-Prussia or super-Byzantium."

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Larry Parrish posted:

One thing I don't really like about custom nations is that it reminds me a lot of the ruler designer from CK2, which is usually really cool and I like to use it to customize my dynasty or sometimes do something silly like Muslim Tribal Ireland (don't do that, anyone you make a count will somehow make the church his primary title and become feudal and then they hate your guts. the player can't easily do it themselves, though.), but there's a million people in this thread who are like 'so i started in 1444 as a custom nation owning the entirety of the english channel with 10% discipline and 20% morale as traditions but i'm having trouble with france! what do i do?' and it's just like, wow.

I'm guilty of this. I play real nations in multiplayer and in singleplayer I just mess around, often with ridiculously overpowered ideas. For some reason I tend to get bored of those games a lot more quickly than the real games, wonder why.

e: like here are some ideas I used in my last game when I wanted to be the Pretty Borders Police and go around attacking nations everywhere to fix their horrible mistakes

when Common Sense first came out I did a -80% development cost run as China. it was not as fun as I had anticipated.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My last custom nation was a custom netherlands geared towards cultural acceptance and being a large multi-culture empire and development and diplo-annexing. Ideas were mostly trade/economic.

Next time I do one it will be more military focused. Anyone can make near post-scarcity levels of money, but none of that is useful when France comes after you with more troops than you have max manpower and also wins battles where they only have half the troops you do.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Speaking of ridiculously overpowered, the Holy Roman Papal State is just as nuts as people were saying it is. The best part is that somewhere around 1500 the rest of northern Italy will actually leave the HRE, probably according to script, but not considering that the HRE now encompasses the entire peninsula below them.

It's just too bad a Pope can't become emperor.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Epinephrine posted:

http://www.victoria2wiki.com/Jan_Mayen All 10 of those pop are polar bears. Their true destiny? Nothing less than world conquest.

Thanks, I had heard about it a few times but never the source.

Larry Parrish posted:

What? I have never seen someone post that in either EU4 thread.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Schizotek posted:

Honestly they probably did it so that the Berber states stand a chance. What the gently caress would Morocco do if the Iberians didn't have to ship troops to invade?

iirc, wiz has said that it's so that north africa counts as 'distant overseas' for the iberian nations. (since that's how they were treated/governed historically.)

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
The Papal States is actually insane in this patch, possibly as strong as Brandenburg, maybe stronger. I just did some MP as the Papal States. Another poster in this thread and me decided to turn off Lucky Nations to see what would happen and I think it has been pretty hilarious. I was able to day 1 rival France and ally Austria. Austria then got into a PU war with them. Over Navarra. I got called in, and proceeded to take land from France as the Pope. In 1444. I separate peaced out to take my land, but Austria was not happy, so they sat on France for another 5 years or so, without sieging Navarra or Bearn. So France went bankrupt. They are still bankrupt now.

It is now around 1480 and every province in France is over 90% autonomy except Paris. France will not recover for 50 years, and have a forcelimit of 7. They rival me, Provence and Liege. Liege has 2 provinces. A beautiful France, if I must say so myself. For about 20 years they somehow allied Austria, and Austria just parked a 20 stack on Paris for the whole time and dealt with their millions of rebels before deciding they were a lost cause. Never seen the AI do that before.

I hold about half of middle Italy, plus Venezia, the Southern Coast of France, and about 4 provinces from Aragon including Valencia.

Also, I am finding the AI to be exceptionally stupid in this run. Provence and Austria sat on the province next to Labourd for about 4 of those 5 years when France was sitting their 2 stack on Bearn, with about 40k. The entire time they were taking 10% attrition. Brittany spent about 5 years at war with France too, but never moved a single man into France, they just sat them on Nantes, watching France meltdown to Hussite Heretics.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

What's the current relationship between AE and province development? Used to be easy with basetax but the wiki hasn't been updated since the new patch.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

The Caspian needs to be a real sea, though. In my Tabarestan run I had to release a vassal cause I conquered some coastal provinces next to the Caspian but couldn't core them cause they didn't technically have ports.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Elman posted:

The Caspian needs to be a real sea, though. In my Tabarestan run I had to release a vassal cause I conquered some coastal provinces next to the Caspian but couldn't core them cause they didn't technically have ports.
If I can build the Suez and Panama canals in this games timeframe I want to be able to build a canal between the Don and Volga and sail ships (maybe not heavies) between the Caspian and the Black Seas :colbert:

The Turks tried to do that in the 1600s and could have easily done it had they put more effort into it.

edit: but then Astrakahn and Persia would not be inland nodes :v:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Elman posted:

*Persia builds its entire navy in the landlocked Caspian.*

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009

Bort Bortles posted:

If I can build the Suez and Panama canals in this games timeframe I want to be able to build a canal between the Don and Volga and sail ships (maybe not heavies) between the Caspian and the Black Seas :colbert:

The Turks tried to do that in the 1600s and could have easily done it had they put more effort into it.

edit: but then Astrakahn and Persia would not be inland nodes :v:

I can't wait to have 1000 trade ship patrol in the caspian.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

There's not a map mode yet that show total development right? Just base tax? That'd be a cool thing to have.

Also I was reading the trade good description for chinaware and it says it supposed to represent carpets in addition to porcelain. Seems like you could add some to Persia/central Asia to break the automatic china monopoly

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Larry Parrish posted:

I started in 1444 with a Fylkirate that owns 95% of Europe and half the middle east, too. Once your vassals in CK2 get rolling they can snap up a lot of territory for the empire.

That said I'm having 0 trouble, it's kind of just an opportunity to spend time exploring and colonizing and loving with the Aztecs while ignoring Europe. Checking out the new trade and new world mechanics, having fun with the random new world. I could probably turn off all the pausing and set it to 5x speed and walk away and nothing would happen. My religious unity is at 98% (Norse!) and a good 3/4ths of all Europe and North Africa is Norse culture.

Incidentally I really like the way the exploration is handled now, with sending ships off to explore and whatever without having to worry about attrition. Letting ships explore the coasts was a great decision. I had fun just making 3 exploration fleets and watching the map get filled out.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Larry Parrish posted:

:goonsay:

Who cares how other people play their single player game.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I too am like wow with a million people posting in this thread

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Sorced posted:

I can't wait to have 1000 trade ship patrol in the caspian.
It should be an achievement :v:

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

I too am like wow with a million people posting in this thread
I love the discussions that go on here and all of the posters, but there are like two dozen of us at most.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

Here's a very cool feature i like but a million people posted about it in this thread and it's just like, wow

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

so I started in 1444 as a custom nation owning all the franch core provinces and what is with this Brittany, why are there bretons in my perfect world

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I wish some of the recent changes didn't make AI Ming a super stable chinaman blob. Korea has been allied with them since the start of the game (over 100 years) and so it feels as if the game is trolling me on my Japan playthrough.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Please add a button to build all infantry mercs.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

28 single male, looking for a male partner to hold my hands in Europa Universalis IV (4) as I try to beat the turks with my 100 provinces custom nation the roman empire reborn. You need to know which admin idea group to take first (hint: it's not Economics). Then maybe we can JO or whatevas

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

As I sit down for another enjoyable evening of EU4 in my bath robes I pour a can of red bull into my wine glass and swirl it a bit. The game is already loaded but I like to let Guns Drums and Steel loop around a few dozen times to get me into the mood. While I wait I start browsing the EU4 thread on SA.com to see what everyone is talking about tonight. *sigh* Another post about someone's nation designed custom nation with 20% discipline and 50% tech cost whining about how they just lost to Milan by 1451. This makes it the two thousand three hundred and seventy sixth post of the day about this subject. If avatar changes were free I would change my avatar to a rebel flag by now.

reL
May 20, 2007
Anyone get the odd behavior where you'll move an army into a province of a nation you're at war with and they'll just stand there side by side with the enemy army, taking attrition and not sieging? And then I guess you can just move them off the province and back and it'll fix itself? Is this WAD? I can't remember the specifics, but I think I've only seen it happen within the HRE. Is it some mechanic trying to stop me from gaming the HRE war mechanics by putting armies in provinces of nations I'm about to DOW or something?

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

reL posted:

Is it some mechanic trying to stop me from gaming the HRE war mechanics by putting armies in provinces of nations I'm about to DOW or something?

If you're trying to put troops in enemy land before you declare war, there is in fact a mechanic in place to prevent you from doing that. IIRC your armies in enemy territory automatically become exiled when you declare. That's why they don't do anything until you move them back to your own territory.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I wish some of the recent changes didn't make AI Ming a super stable chinaman blob. Korea has been allied with them since the start of the game (over 100 years) and so it feels as if the game is trolling me on my Japan playthrough.
To be fair, that seems entirely historic. China historically doesn't seem to have had much desire to dominate Korea beyond it recognizing China as its tributary overlord, but it certainly didn't want anyone else messing with their sphere of influence. As long as China was strong it was absolutely going to repel any Japanese attempt at conquering it. That said, isn't China pretty weak? Maybe kicking down the door will topple the whole edifice? Or did Common Sense buff Ming enough that they can actually stand up to a mild breeze?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vanilla Mint Ice posted:

As I sit down for another enjoyable evening of EU4 in my bath robes I pour a can of red bull into my wine glass and swirl it a bit. The game is already loaded but I like to let Guns Drums and Steel loop around a few dozen times to get me into the mood. While I wait I start browsing the EU4 thread on SA.com to see what everyone is talking about tonight. *sigh* Another post about someone's nation designed custom nation with 20% discipline and 50% tech cost whining about how they just lost to Milan by 1451. This makes it the two thousand three hundred and seventy sixth post of the day about this subject. If avatar changes were free I would change my avatar to a rebel flag by now.
I'm glad I read this on my lunch break :golfclap:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

To be fair, that seems entirely historic. China historically doesn't seem to have had much desire to dominate Korea beyond it recognizing China as its tributary overlord, but it certainly didn't want anyone else messing with their sphere of influence. As long as China was strong it was absolutely going to repel any Japanese attempt at conquering it. That said, isn't China pretty weak? Maybe kicking down the door will topple the whole edifice? Or did Common Sense buff Ming enough that they can actually stand up to a mild breeze?
I think I remember a few more changes to their Mandate of Heaven or some negative modifier getting reduced to be less-negative. I honestly am not sure thought because I have not been paying attention to that area of the world in EU4 lately...

...because I am waiting for China to be represented better.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The development and faction changes made Ming buff enough that even with the autonomy floor they rarely lose a war badly enough to gain enough war exhaustion to start the rebel death spiral. It can happen but it's no longer a foregone conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reL
May 20, 2007

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

If you're trying to put troops in enemy land before you declare war, there is in fact a mechanic in place to prevent you from doing that. IIRC your armies in enemy territory automatically become exiled when you declare. That's why they don't do anything until you move them back to your own territory.

Ok, so, do you have any idea when that calculation is done? I can't remember from which province I issued the move order, but the scenario goes like this:

Army is in Brandenburg's territory; I have military access.
I issue a move order to Nassau, owned by a currently-neutral nation. I am able to issue this move order because I am at war with the emperor.
I make peace with emperor and immediately DOW nation I'm en route to.
Army arrives in province during a state of war; proceeds to tailgate.

I mean, I figure since a day passes between the peace with the emperor, and then war with Mainz, that during that day where I don't have the rights to move to Nassau that it'd cancel out my move order. I guess that's not the case? I'll toy with it.

• Locked thread