Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
You could also buy a dbrand skin for your S6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
I still can't believe how smooth 5.1 is on my 2013 Moto X, especially relative to my N7, it's awesome.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
Turbo owners still waiting for any follow up on the soak test :classiclol:

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

Turbo owners still waiting for any follow up on the soak test :classiclol:

I genuinely hope it's another AC update so I can watch the soak forums melt down

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

If the past is any indicator, I would expect an email later today (after 5pm EST) with an invite to the private forums with the rollout starting Tuesday morning. That's assuming nothing odd pops up.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Hey. I have an LG G3 with 5.0. I use the Verizon Message+ app for texting. I want the new emojis. Google yields dubious results on achieving this.

Thoughts? Not opposed to using a diferent text app like Textra or Handsent.

I use Swift Key keyboard if that matters.

Thanks! :)

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

fartzone_42069 posted:

Hey. I have an LG G3 with 5.0. I use the Verizon Message+ app for texting. I want the new emojis. Google yields dubious results on achieving this.

Thoughts? Not opposed to using a diferent text app like Textra or Handsent.

I use Swift Key keyboard if that matters.

Thanks! :)

I'm not entirely sure what you mean but Google keyboard has the new emojis I think ? ??

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Looking to upgrade from my old Note 3 (AT&T). I have an upgrade available. Not a big touchwiz hater, doesn't bug me that much.

I think my upgrade options I wanted to look into:

- S6:
Pro: Looks great, already used to Touchwiz.
Con: Battery life would drive me crazy, coming from a Note 3.

- S6 Active
Pro: Can't break it, good battery life.
Con: Ugly as hell, and 32gb after touchwiz isn't that much.

- Nexus 6
Pro: AOSP, will get updates fast (in theory), great screen/sound.
Con: I'm kind of sick of how big my Note 3 is, so a smaller phone would be nice. If the N6 was the same size as the N5, I'd be all over it. Also, I feel like I heard a lot of battery life complaints?

What else should I be looking at? What's everybody else using/loving these days?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

this_is_hard posted:

I genuinely hope it's another AC update so I can watch the soak forums melt down

I would fastball my phone straight out of my jorts pocket into its own cardboard replica hanging up on the wall SO HARD, grip tape be damned

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

I would fastball my phone straight out of my jorts pocket into its own cardboard replica hanging up on the wall SO HARD, grip tape be damned

Heynong man, doing that could damage your SD card slot, then you'd have no way to listen to your entire music collection.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Tatsuta Age posted:

- Nexus 6
Con: I'm kind of sick of how big my Note 3 is, so a smaller phone would be nice. If the N6 was the same size as the N5, I'd be all over it. Also, I feel like I heard a lot of battery life complaints?
Battery life isn't bad, as always cranking the screen brightness and low signal areas will kill it fast. The biggest problem is that it's still not using hardware encryption (commit logs say something like "hopefully this will be fixed in the future") so you either have to decrypt it or deal with worse read/write performance than previous generation flagships. I don't regret buying it, but I'm really pissed that Google hasn't managed to get a major feature like that working properly on a Nexus device.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Heynong man, doing that could damage your SD card slot, then you'd have no way to listen to your entire music collection.

Heynong man.

thebushcommander
Apr 16, 2004
HAY
GUYS
MAKE
ME A
FUNNY,
I'M TOO
STUPID
TO DO
IT BY
MYSELF

Tatsuta Age posted:

Looking to upgrade from my old Note 3 (AT&T). I have an upgrade available. Not a big touchwiz hater, doesn't bug me that much.

- S6:

- S6 Active

- Nexus 6

What else should I be looking at? What's everybody else using/loving these days?

Yeah, the S6 active actually breaks pretty easily. As with all things, don't believe the HYPE. Buddy of mine was trying to prove it wouldn't break and tossed it in a bowl of water for a couple minutes. He pulled it out and it worked fine so he was gloating, about an hour later it turned off and the screen is hosed now. I don't know what the battery life was like. I have an S6 and battery life hasn't been much of an issue for me other than random days where Google Services gps bug drains it inside a couple hours, but I get a solid 16hrs out of it before I put it on charge and that's usually with 30-50% battery left. I didn't have a Note3 to compare to, but had a OG Note and it didn't last this long.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

bull3964 posted:

If the past is any indicator, I would expect an email later today (after 5pm EST) with an invite to the private forums with the rollout starting Tuesday morning. That's assuming nothing odd pops up.

Just got my invite.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

alg posted:

Just got my invite.

Same.

Here's hoping it's just an AC update

:getin:

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Tatsuta Age posted:

- S6:

- S6 Active

- Nexus 6

If your Note 3 is still working fine I'd recommend waiting a little longer, the Note 5 and the new Motorola are only a couple months away.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Tatsuta Age posted:

- S6:

- S6 Active

- Nexus 6

A decent option is to burn the upgrade on an iPhone 6, sell it and buy a MotoX 2014 for a fraction of the what you can sell the iPhone6 for, and pocked a couple bills.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

thebushcommander posted:

Yeah, the S6 active actually breaks pretty easily. As with all things, don't believe the HYPE. Buddy of mine was trying to prove it wouldn't break and tossed it in a bowl of water for a couple minutes. He pulled it out and it worked fine so he was gloating, about an hour later it turned off and the screen is hosed now. I don't know what the battery life was like. I have an S6 and battery life hasn't been much of an issue for me other than random days where Google Services gps bug drains it inside a couple hours, but I get a solid 16hrs out of it before I put it on charge and that's usually with 30-50% battery left. I didn't have a Note3 to compare to, but had a OG Note and it didn't last this long.

Agreed, the S6A is at best moisture-resistant, it simply fails to meet the advertised spec. In fact, it doesn't even come close. I'd return it but there's not exactly a glut of waterproof, wireless charging, 3500mah phones on the market right now.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

As long as it's impact resistant, I'll be fine. Dropped all my phones so many times to concerete and whatnot, S6 surely would shatter to pieces in no time since it's made of unusable materials.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

revmoo posted:

Agreed, the S6A is at best moisture-resistant, it simply fails to meet the advertised spec. In fact, it doesn't even come close. I'd return it but there's not exactly a glut of waterproof, wireless charging, 3500mah phones on the market right now.

droid turbo :smug:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Hadn't heard about that one. Kind of ugly but that battery is amazing. I'd definitely have given it a look if I'd known about it.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

revmoo posted:

Hadn't heard about that one. Kind of ugly but that battery is amazing. I'd definitely have given it a look if I'd known about it.

It's Verizon exclusive just like the Active is AT&T exclusive.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

How does one ask to be a part of a soak test for the Moto X 2013 (vzw if it makes a difference)? I keep googling, but my googling sucks.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Doctor Butts posted:

How does one ask to be a part of a soak test for the Moto X 2013 (vzw if it makes a difference)? I keep googling, but my googling sucks.

Join the Motorola Feedback Network

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Thanks! That was embarrassingly tough for me to find out on my own.

edit: anyone else have trouble adjusting to the new clock app for the moto x? They moved some things around and the background is a violet blue color.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

kensei posted:

Join the Motorola Feedback Network

Is there any indication that you joined successfully? I never got an email about it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

hooah posted:

Is there any indication that you joined successfully? I never got an email about it.

Go to your devices page.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/mcp/my_devices

It should tell you the MFN status for each.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="447138529"]
You could also buy a dbrand skin for your S6.

I'm going to give this a shot and see how it goes. If that doesn't handle it, I really may just try grip tape. The sacrificing of so much function for form on the S6 has really rankled me.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

bull3964 posted:

Go to your devices page.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/mcp/my_devices

It should tell you the MFN status for each.

Ah. Ok. Can Verizon devices even actually get soak tests?

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

hooah posted:

Ah. Ok. Can Verizon devices even actually get soak tests?

Yes, the soak tests are sanctioned by the carriers themselves also. I've been in several Motorola soak tests when I had Moto devices, all on Verizon.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Yes, the soak tests are sanctioned by the carriers themselves also. I've been in several Motorola soak tests when I had Moto devices, all on Verizon.

Ok, great. Here's hoping I get an email whenever they get around to the 2014 X.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Doctor Butts posted:

Thanks! That was embarrassingly tough for me to find out on my own.

edit: anyone else have trouble adjusting to the new clock app for the moto x? They moved some things around and the background is a violet blue color.

The background changes with time of day and the app is otherwise similar to other clock apps based on AOSP's clock.

Actually you should be able to update it with Google's Clock app now.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

cool

http://www.droid-life.com/2015/06/29/lollipop-is-finally-coming-to-the-droid-turbo/

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Tatsuta Age posted:

- Nexus 6

The Nexus 6 has better battery life than the S6 but if you're sick of the Note 3's size, it's a bigger phone than that. If you can deal with the size, it's a great phone. If not, the best option would probably be to wait. The Note 5, new Moto X, and new Nexus aren't that far off. I can't really recommend the S6 to anyone right now - the performance and battery life leave much to be desired (thanks Samsung!). If there was a GPE edition, I have a feeling it would do much better in both areas.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

datajosh posted:

The Nexus 6 has better battery life than the S6 but if you're sick of the Note 3's size, it's a bigger phone than that. If you can deal with the size, it's a great phone. If not, the best option would probably be to wait. The Note 5, new Moto X, and new Nexus aren't that far off. I can't really recommend the S6 to anyone right now - the performance and battery life leave much to be desired (thanks Samsung!). If there was a GPE edition, I have a feeling it would do much better in both areas.

Yeah this seems like the best choice, and most people have said something similar. Thanks guys.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

datajosh posted:

What performance problems have you encountered?

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend
So I never got a second email or anything about the Turbo soak but I'm downloading the update now :aaaaa:

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

E.T. NO HOMO posted:

So I never got a second email or anything about the Turbo soak but I'm downloading the update now :aaaaa:

Yep, me too.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Lol like everyone hasn't known this since March...

:downsbravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

XIII posted:

Yep, me too.

Maybe someone should tell them that 5.1.1 is latest