Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

ZenVulgarity posted:

This is what I'm reading from the opinion as well

Really this is a balance of business ownership and environmental impact that has been debated back and forth forever now, it just seems to be an overly cautious approach that you can't doom businesses via regulation without determining the costs

It doesn't really matter since that same argument could be used to argue against proper disposal or cleanup.

This is a major hit and the EPA is even more defanged because of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Fried Chicken posted:

Sotomayor compared lethal injection to being burned alive in hers, and now Scalia is reading a concurrence to rebut Breyer's reading of his (Breyer's) dissent

Seems like emotions got real hot in this one

God I hope this court ends up having a fist fight just to hear about RBG decking someone with a chair.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

God I hope this court ends up having a fist fight just to hear about RBG decking someone with a chair.

The court doesn't get in fights any more ever since RBG choked Scalia and Thomas out at the same time once.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

CommieGIR posted:

It doesn't really matter since that same argument could be used to argue against proper disposal or cleanup.

This is a major hit and the EPA is even more defanged because of it.

As I read the syllabus, it seemed like the issue wasn't as much that the costs were onerous (although it didn't help that the CBA sucked), but rather that they did the study after they issued the rule?

Optimus Subprime
Mar 26, 2005

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns, why should we let them have ideas?

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Life imitates art sometimes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hyph_DZa_GQ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pugnax posted:

As I read the syllabus, it seemed like the issue wasn't as much that the costs were onerous (although it didn't help that the CBA sucked), but rather that they did the study after they issued the rule?

The problem being that they are arguing that regulations cannot inhibit profit, which is a major issue as a lot of waste/pollution is directly traceable to trimming the bottom line.

Its all the more reason privatizing power generation has been such a stupid idea, because for-profit companies are not willing to deal with the needed regulation to ensure a clean, efficient burn.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CommieGIR posted:

The problem being that they are arguing that regulations cannot inhibit profit, which is a major issue as a lot of waste/pollution is directly traceable to trimming the bottom line.

And the regulators are allowed to argue that the cost from regulation is smaller than the cost to public health and the like.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Its all the more reason privatizing power generation has been such a stupid idea, because for-profit companies are not willing to deal with the needed regulation to ensure a clean, efficient burn.

Just wait until they privatize your weed!

Really all this poo poo just makes me want nuclear. Pretty easy to get the point across with safe nuclear: radiation! Bad!

Oh on the cost vs health thing: that's exactly how I sell safety improvements to management. It works maybe 2/3 of the time with an itemized budget.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Optimus Subprime posted:

The death penalty ruling is pretty awful. I'd take a guillotine over those drugs if I was to be executed.

The result seems to be directly the fault of the idiots bringing the case. They didn't care about the issue actually being argued (they obviously didn't care whether or not the drugs were cruel and unusual punishment), but were using it as an excuse to try to argue something completely different that the law didn't support (they just wanted the execution stopped full stop), and that unsurprisingly lead to the lovely conclusion we got.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

DemeaninDemon posted:

Just wait until they privatize your weed!

Really all this poo poo just makes me want nuclear. Pretty easy to get the point across with safe nuclear: radiation! Bad!

a harder sell them you would think

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I thought that was a Green Party dude until I re-read the first paragraph.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

That's also not what the case said.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

.....what an idiot.

Kalman posted:

That's also not what the case said.

quote:

The question was whether the EPA should have considered the cost of compliance when deciding to regulate pollutants. Industry groups and some states challenged the regulation to limit emissions of mercury and other hazardous pollutants, claiming costs of up to $9.6 billion.

The regulation could help prompt utility companies to shut down some coal-fired plants due to the costs of compliance. The EPA says the rule, due to go into effect this year, applies to about 1,400 electricity-generating units at 600 power plants. Many are already in compliance, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration.

In issuing the regulation, the EPA said it was not required to consider costs.

No, that is basically what they said. The Coal Companies are arguing that it unfairly saddles them with higher costs in order to scrub mercury to meet regulation.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CommieGIR posted:

No, that is basically what they said. The Coal Companies are arguing that it unfairly saddles them with higher costs in order to scrub mercury to meet regulation.

Yeah and now the EPA just has to say that it costs the public more to keep your coal plants running and shut them down anyway.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Cruz continues to be the dog scooting his rear end across McConnell's floor

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

.....what an idiot.

And the court said "and the EPA has to take that into account when deciding whether to regulate, not just in how to regulate."

Not that it's a controlling consideration, just that they have to address it in the early stages. They already had to address it in the ultimate decision, so it doesn't affect the ultimate scope of regulation.

It's a long way from "can regulate if it affects profits."

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Cruz and Rove are fighting

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Yeah, the claim that McConnell told him the NRSC wouldn't fund incumbents is... hard to believe.

Cruz is also fighting with Karl Rove right now over stories he published in his book, the more-amusingly-titled-by-the-hour A Time for Truth, concerning fundraising in the 2009 Texas AG race and has started publishing selected emails between himself and Rove.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

What a perfect example of what a PhD does to someone: become so loving awesome at one, narrow topic that one becomes a complete idiot in everything else.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Puerto Rico is going broke:

quote:

With two days left in Puerto Rico’s fiscal year, the cash-strapped commonwealth is struggling to pass a budget that would allow it to make payments on a $72 billion debt load that the island’s governor said is unsustainable.

Governor Alejandro Garcia Padilla said investors should be prepared to sacrifice if they want the island’s economy to grow, the New York Times reported, citing an interview last week.

“The debt is not payable,” the governor told the Times. “There is no other option.”

Some Puerto Rican bonds are trading near record lows as the island of 3.5 million people grapples with a jobless rate double the national average and a debt load bigger than every U.S. state except California and New York. The governor’s remarks land in a jittery global debt market, as investors weigh the possibility of a Greek default and exit from the euro zone.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Is Gary Peters cool?

I call upon the goons of Michigan to riddle this.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

DemeaninDemon posted:

What a perfect example of what a PhD does to someone: become so loving awesome at one, narrow topic that one becomes a complete idiot in everything else.

To be clear, the idea would work, it just wouldn't be very popular. You can grind up nuclear waste into pieces too small to be dangerous.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

If he's going to keep this up, I hope he stays in the Senate forever and continues to drive the GOP insane.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sir Tonk posted:

If he's going to keep this up, I hope he stays in the Senate forever and continues to drive the GOP insane.

I'd be ok with this minor annoyance in that it'd drive the GOP even more nuts. Let Cruz be the pebble in the GOPs shoe, a constant reminder of the monster they helped create.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

How the hell did 3.5 million people run up a $72 billion dollar debt?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This whole island is hosed and needs to burnt down and rebuilt from the foundation because there's so much wrong with it and it's never getting fixed.

Zeroisanumber posted:

The smart people get the gently caress out of the island as soon as possible.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 29, 2015

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Chantilly Say posted:

To be clear, the idea would work, it just wouldn't be very popular. You can grind up nuclear waste into pieces too small to be dangerous.

Except he further goes onto claim the homeopathic radioactive waste would cure disease by turning us all into mutants. Like right out of a comic book.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
They still use oil to generate electricity. My old job focused on them and my final recommendation to my employers was "Get out while you still can".

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

Try inhaling alpha particles for a while, let me know how safe that turns out to be

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Chantilly Say posted:

No, that guy is crazy:

quote:

On nuclear waste: "All we need do with nuclear waste is dilute it to a low radiation level and sprinkle it over the ocean—or even over America after hormesis is better understood and verified with respect to more diseases." And: "If we could use it to enhance our own drinking water here in Oregon, where background radiation is low, it would hormetically enhance our resistance to degenerative diseases. Alas, this would be against the law."

On AIDS: "There is a possibility that the entire 'war' on HIV and AIDS is in error. U.S. government AIDS programs are now receiving $6 billion per year and are based entirely upon the hypothesis that HIV virus causes AIDS. Yet, the articles referenced above and numerous additional publications by scientists who have become involved in this controversy state that: attempts to cause AIDS experimentally with HIV have completely failed; thousands of AIDS victims are HIV-free; and HIV shows none of the classical characteristics of a disease-producing organism. Moreover, AIDS is not a unique disease—it is an increased susceptibility to many ordinary diseases presumably as a result of depressed immune response. This depressed immunity can result from many other factors including those especially prevalent in the AIDS afflicted population—drug abuse and unhygienic exposure to very large numbers of different disease vectors. Moreover, large numbers of HIV carriers who are symptom-free are being treated by powerful life-threatening drugs that kill people in ways very similar to AIDS."

Like, this guy is the remaining target audience for the Revigator

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Chantilly Say posted:

:stare: Its a terrible idea.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Zeroisanumber posted:

They got hosed: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/jun/28/puerto-rico-debt-unemployment

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

CommieGIR posted:

It's also one that's basically been tried.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_disposal_of_radioactive_waste

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

It's a fundamental misunderstanding. You can sufficiently dilute nuclear waste to the point of making negligible against existing background levels. You cannot "grind it up to make it go away". Grinding it up makes it harder to handle, and you can't just break it apart and have it stop emitting. If I smash a point source in two I now have two point sources with a greater total emitting area (never mind the stuff broken off as I split it), not two safe pieces of metal.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

Try inhaling alpha particles for a while, let me know how safe that turns out to be

Diffusing radioactive materials into the environment is stupid as hell but your body ingests a couple of alpha emitters every day.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Diffusing radioactive materials into the environment is stupid as hell but your body ingests a couple of alpha emitters every day.

I'm aware, my point was that "grinding material down" doesn't help since getting it down to its smallest particulate level is even more dangerous

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Seems to me that the biggest arguments against just burying nuclear waste in secure bunkers involve harms to a hypothetical race of post apocalyptic humans 10k years hence.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Zeroisanumber posted:

well you see, if you cut taxes you will surely have massive business growth. oh wait now we have the same poo poo business growth and no money to pay for services so we issue bonds but havent solved the problem.

Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

It's a fundamental misunderstanding. You can sufficiently dilute nuclear waste to the point of making negligible against existing background levels. You cannot "grind it up to make it go away". Grinding it up makes it harder to handle, and you can't just break it apart and have it stop emitting. If I smash a point source in two I now have two point sources with a greater total emitting area (never mind the stuff broken off as I split it), not two safe pieces of metal.

Grinding up metals also makes for a nice, explosive powder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zoux posted:

Seems to me that the biggest arguments against just burying nuclear waste in secure bunkers involve harms to a hypothetical race of post apocalyptic humans 10k years hence.

Which is stupid as hell since the most radioactive poo poo is mostly cool in a little over a century.

• Locked thread