Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Litany Unheard posted:

Does Jindal have a millionaire/billionaire sugar-daddy like half the Republican field seems to? Because I'm having trouble figuring out who gives money to a Jindal Super PAC. He's a term-limited, unpopular governor who polls below Donald Trump nationally.

Is it just the usual corporate suspects hedging their bets in case Jindal-mania sweeps the nation?

Jindal has a lot of financial support from the indian community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
"Team of Rivals", the Lincoln biography, had some interesting discussion about what the desire to achieve the presidency does to someone. Salmon Chase spent like 20 years trying to achieve that dream, even going so far as to print his face on dollar bills and undercut Lincoln as treasury secretary.

What I'm getting at is the reason you see so many no-hopers is that they're probably incapable of seeing they've got no hope. They're convinced they're literally chosen by God to be president. It's only ones like Bachmann or Santorum who say it out loud, though.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

TheDisreputableDog posted:

As opposed to the dignified, rational treatment of baby corpses by the left (vacuuming them out in pieces, throwing out in a biomedical waste bag).
Category error.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Litany Unheard posted:

Does Jindal have a millionaire/billionaire sugar-daddy like half the Republican field seems to? Because I'm having trouble figuring out who gives money to a Jindal Super PAC. He's a term-limited, unpopular governor who polls below Donald Trump nationally.

Is it just the usual corporate suspects hedging their bets in case Jindal-mania sweeps the nation?
Some of the money probably comes from people he appointed (I'm sure it happens in every state but Louisiana is Louisiana).
(a few years ago but http://www.nola.com/politics/index.ssf/2013/11/bobby_jindals_political_appoin.html )

I'm sure oil is part of the picture, too, and yeah some small group of people still probably think he could be the Republican's Obama.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

TheBalor posted:

What I'm getting at is the reason you see so many no-hopers is that they're probably incapable of seeing they've got no hope. They're convinced they're literally chosen by God to be president. It's only ones like Bachmann or Santorum who say it out loud, though.

Juvenile "lol religion" rant aside, there are plenty of candidates that were polling dismally at this time that ended up winning the nomination.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

As opposed to the dignified, rational treatment of baby corpses by the left (vacuuming them out in pieces, throwing out in a biomedical waste bag).

Of course I suspect the most tragic event you've ever experienced is "saddled with an 8:15 AM Humanities class" so you probably wouldn't understand.

It's medical waste, it was never a person. The poster who said "baby corpses" spoke in error.

Not quickly disposing of medical waste is gross.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

SedanChair posted:

It's medical waste, it was never a person. The poster who said "baby corpses" spoke in error.

BEEP BOOP DOES NOT COMPUTE, PREGNANCY=TERMINATED, GRIEF=INVALID!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

SedanChair posted:

I don't know if you have children or not (I would guess probably not) but dealing with a tragedy like that is a hosed up situation and I'm not about to criticize how the man and his family chose to cope with it. Can't we just go back to ridiculing him for his stances on birth control and bleigh people?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I think the question of whether he's using the events (and the dead child) as a political prop is difficult to say... it would seem to depend on how you feel about how his other children appear in media.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

There is no hypocrisy in believing that women have the right to an abortion and simultaneously understanding that a miscarriage is an extremely difficult tragedy for a family to face, and that said family may do things that seem strange or even are objectively inadvisable in the wake of said tragedy. It may have a place in discussing Santorum's beliefs about life, but even there, it is a small place, and because it's a pretty hosed up thing to happen to a person, it's not as funny as stuff like people selling hula hoops for Bernie, or Trumptweeting, or Walker selfies, or all of the Republican candidates tripping over one another to be on the wrong side of history with regard to the gay marriage decision.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

SedanChair posted:

For those interested, this is not actually a direct quote from Brave New World.

bpower
Feb 19, 2011
Whatever you think about abortion or Santorum, you can be sure his grief is 100% genuine so its pretty hosed up to sneer at how he deals with it. Remember "ewww creepy" is not an argument.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Juvenile "lol religion" rant aside, there are plenty of candidates that were polling dismally at this time that ended up winning the nomination.

Having trouble thinking of any in the post-1968 era of Presidential campaigns, though.

And it isn't "lol religion" to poke fun at candidates who tell people that Jesus told them to run for President, especially considering the caliber of candidates who say it.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

The Nastier Nate posted:

I don't know if you have children or not (I would guess probably not) but dealing with a tragedy like that is a hosed up situation and I'm not about to criticize how the man and his family chose to cope with it. Can't we just go back to ridiculing him for his stances on birth control and bleigh people?

I lost a baby in the third trimester. It was loving awful and it took my wife and I the better part of a decade to really get our poo poo back together. If that bizzare poo poo helped the family, then power to them, but if as a matter of policy he would have forced my wife to continue to carry a dying fetus up to delivery, well, then gently caress him.

But yes, there's plenty of other froth to ridicule him for.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

bpower posted:

Whatever you think about abortion or Santorum, you can be sure his grief is 100% genuine so its pretty hosed up to sneer at how he deals with it. Remember "ewww creepy" is not an argument.

We're talking about Rick Santorum right? How on earth would you surmise that Rick Santorum experiences grief?

Well other than this, this looks like grief:

But grief over human life? You must be new to the game to think Santorum wouldn't have gone back in time and aborted everyone in this picture if it would have made him president.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Which one of those was McCain?

The Warhawk 9000 (with minimally articulating shoulders)!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Basically, I think that it is not funny when people are crying and being weird about a real life tragedy, but that it is pretty damned hilarious when they are moaning and gnashing their teeth about how traditional marriage is collapsing, or how Univision is a mean bully who doesn't tolerate racism, or how those drat transgender folks might want to take a shower. Those are funny tears. I am going to post the picture, even though SedanChair already posted it.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Alter Ego posted:

Having trouble thinking of any in the post-1968 era of Presidential campaigns, though.

A year out McGovern was at 5%, Carter was at 1%, Dukakis was like 7-8%.

The point is, it happens, even without the DIVINE WIND of fundamentalism at your back.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
On the other hand, McGovern had the secret backing of the POTUS and Carter did have the divine wind of fundamentalism.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

A year out McGovern was at 5%, Carter was at 1%, Dukakis was like 7-8%.

The point is, it happens, even without the DIVINE WIND of fundamentalism at your back.

None of those guys were crazy like Cain/Bachmann/Jindal.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

:smugmrgw: :what: :cry: :( :stare:

Where is this from and why is that girl crying like that?

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Faustian Bargain posted:

Santorum had to concede defeat in '08 and that loverly image is his family at the event.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Faustian Bargain posted:

Her parents were forcing her to pose with a matching dolly and she knew what kind of poo poo she'd be in with her peers at school afterwards.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Santorum naturally makes children sad just by being near them.

neonnoodle
Mar 20, 2008

by exmarx
I have no interest in any candidate's personal/family life, unless they are a wife beater or something. Santorum is bad because his political beliefs are awful.

That photo will never not be hilarious tho

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

Feather posted:

Santorum had to concede defeat in '08 and that loverly image is his family at the event.

Small correction but I think that is from 2006 when Pennsylvania kicked him out of office by 18 points.

fermun
Nov 4, 2009
https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/615543603553767424
PublicPolicyPolling @ppppolls
On our Michigan poll over the weekend we polled all 16 GOP candidates for the first time- congrats to Jindal and Pataki on polling at 0

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Gravel Gravy posted:

Her parents were forcing her to pose with a matching dolly and she knew what kind of poo poo she'd be in with her peers at school afterwards.

That kid is homeschooled 100% for sure

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Good Citizen posted:

actually no there was some huff about him having the state pay tons of money for his kids to go to some school or something back during 2008 election season iirc

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Good Citizen posted:

Oh, it's even worse than that. While living in Leesburg, VA, the Santorums had their kids attending a 'cyber charter school' in Penn Hills, PA, which was funded by the residents of Penn Hills.

Plexiwatt
Sep 6, 2002

by exmarx

Feather posted:

We can't see the doll's face but I like to imagine it's also weeping uncontrollably.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

fermun posted:

https://twitter.com/ppppolls/status/615543603553767424
PublicPolicyPolling @ppppolls
On our Michigan poll over the weekend we polled all 16 GOP candidates for the first time- congrats to Jindal and Pataki on polling at 0

I wonder what the error rate was.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Good Citizen posted:

Then her mother is crushing her collar bone is the only logical answer I can muster.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Outside of the insanity that is American evangelical Christianity saying that you were chosen by God to run for political office is actually a little bit weird.

EDIT: And with regard to Jindal, he has absolutely no loving chance. He has absolutely nothing going for him, it's certainly possible to go from polling dismally to doing better but that would require some sort of actual skill like :newt: and his debating.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jun 29, 2015

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Well the median income was higher 8 years ago, let's let the people decide.

This is a lie and easily verifiable by the US Census historical income tables.

Median household income in 2007 was $50,303; as of 2014 it was $51,939. There was a slight dip in 2009-2010 (shockingly a global recession does that) but even then the median was higher than any year in the Bush term aside from 2007 (2006 was next highest, coming in at $48,201).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tempest_56 posted:

Median household income in 2007 was $50,303; as of 2014 it was $51,939. There was a slight dip in 2009-2010 (shockingly a global recession does that) but even then the median was higher than any year in the Bush term aside from 2007 (2006 was next highest, coming in at $48,201).

Are those in same year dollars?

Feather
Mar 1, 2003
Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please.

Tempest_56 posted:

And tax revenues doubled under Reagan (it's true, they nearly doubled in absolute value).

Unfortunately real median income (i.e. inflation-adjusted) has fallen every year since 2007 (link). Just like revenues increased much more slowly under Reagan than they had been under previous administrations.

TheDisreputableDog
Oct 13, 2005

Tempest_56 posted:

Now look at median adjusted income, which is an accurate litmus test, and say you're sorry.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

Are those in same year dollars?

No, but he also didn't make the argument of adjusting it for inflation/purchasing power/etc, and I don't respect TheDisreputableDog enough to correct his mistakes for him. What he said is untrue, full stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CSPAN Caller
Oct 16, 2012

The Nastier Nate posted:

Small correction but I think that is from 2006 when Pennsylvania kicked him out of office by 18 points.

How does an incumbent Republican Senator lose by 18 points in a mid-term election?

• Locked thread