Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Darkrenown posted:

We already had to have the Japan AI rate the USA's strength at a third of the real value to make them attack at all :negative:

Real-life Imperial Japanese High Command: literally dumber than Paradox AI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

Darkrenown posted:

We already had to have the Japan AI rate the USA's strength at a third of the real value to make them attack at all :negative:

Do they use IC or military score or some weighted average of the two or something else? I'm just curious.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

I'm playing an HOI3 game right now as the USA where I've been building up diligently since '36. Everything is more or less on track by late '41 - I've begun the Lend-Lease program, I've expanded the undeclared war, I'm hitting all of my production targets to be ready for Pearl Harbor. Then, Japan doesn't attack me or the Philippines. At all. So now it's early '42, the Germans are all Barbarossa and it's going very well (I watched the Russians barely beat the Germans back from the gates of Moscow and things are still very tenuous for Russia). No one will declare on me, so I'm still hamstrung. The UK has taken Ethiopia and Sardinia but Italy owns Egypt and Iraq. I'm desperate to join the war (6 years of build up with no war yet) so I console in the noneutrality cheat and join the Allies. I'm sure I've wrecked some event chains doing that but it's pretty annoying to be blue balled like that.

I remember that problem. There is no Pearl Harbor event, Japan's just supposed to attack regularly but they never did that for me.
I fixed it by DoWing them (or maybe Germany, don't remember) separately, fighting 1.5 years of useless naval warfare, trying to invade through Vietnam and in the end realizing I can just instantly annex them by landing in the home isles :shrug:

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drone posted:

I mean it's fairly to ridiculously insane to assume they could win a war against a country with at least twice their population and vastly more territory and resources. They had to have known they had precious little time after sniping the Pacific Fleet to secure their territory against inevitable counter attack.

Mostly this just makes me want to play multiplayer games as Mexico, being the USA's main opponent to keep them out of the European wars, WW1 style all the way baby.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

Drone posted:

Well if the oil and other materiel embargoes were implemented in any sort of realistic way, the choice would be to declare on at least the NEI (which should probably give the US an event to intervene) or lose a bunch of IC and have all your ships and half your troops stop functioning in a year. That might affect the decision somewhat.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

A legit concern of mine in my current HoI3 game as Italy is that, even though I got fascists elected to the White House using spies, the dumbass Japanese AI is going to do Pearl Harbor anyway unless I can somehow align the USA to Axis fast enough to have them join.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

Do they use IC or military score or some weighted average of the two or something else? I'm just curious.

I think they weigh both, but we really need Podcat to swing by and answer since he made the "solution".

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Larry Parrish posted:

I mean it's fairly to ridiculously insane to assume they could win a war against a country with at least twice their population and vastly more territory and resources. They had to have known they had precious little time after sniping the Pacific Fleet to secure their territory against inevitable counter attack.

Mostly this just makes me want to play multiplayer games as Mexico, being the USA's main opponent to keep them out of the European wars, WW1 style all the way baby.

Ah yes, a small shunt to take Corpus Christi, before being melted down.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

I think they weigh both, but we really need Podcat to swing by and answer since he made the "solution".

It checks the US's horoscope for an auspicious time to attack.

e: military history thread joke I suspect some people will get

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Darkrenown posted:

Please update us further on the what the final solution to the Japanese question ends up being.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Please update us further on the what the final solution to the Japanese question ends up being.

Whoa, you can just drop a bomb like that and leave. You should drop a second one to make your point.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Darkrenown posted:

shiiiiiiit what is that smug pooping colbert emoticon aaarrgh

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Drone posted:

'Yo I know that we are spiritually better than the American in every way and that surely a divine wind will blow away the enemy fleet and all that but lets get real for a second' - Paradox Hideki Tojo

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Bort Bortles posted:

shiiiiiiit what is that smug pooping colbert emoticon aaarrgh

c00lbutt

:c00lbutt:

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

Does anyone know what the factors that are that Japan weighs for invading the Philippines? I never got that to fire possibly because my buildup was so aggressive. I sort of expected that by denying them resources constantly, I'd at least get some kind of antagonism modifier that would make them more irate.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

GrossMurpel posted:

I remember that problem. There is no Pearl Harbor event, Japan's just supposed to attack regularly but they never did that for me.
I fixed it by DoWing them (or maybe Germany, don't remember) separately, fighting 1.5 years of useless naval warfare, trying to invade through Vietnam and in the end realizing I can just instantly annex them by landing in the home isles :shrug:

Making it so the best plan for defeating Japan isn't just heading straight for Tokyo is probably as important to work on as getting a Pearl Harbor type event right.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Thaaaaats it, thank you, cant believe I forgot that.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Making it so the best plan for defeating Japan isn't just heading straight for Tokyo is probably as important to work on as getting a Pearl Harbor type event right.

Yes, there should be something to make it hard to take Tokyo for the allied player. Perhaps some kind of "fortress" in the bay.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaXh9AUchZQ

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

VostokProgram posted:

Yes, there should be something to make it hard to take Tokyo for the allied player. Perhaps some kind of "fortress" in the bay.

If there were a Paradox version of Empire of the Rising Sun, my whole body might just explode.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Goetta posted:

'Yo I know that we are spiritually better than the American in every way and that surely a divine wind will blow away the enemy fleet and all that but lets get real for a second' - Paradox Hideki Tojo

I coded in a special DEATH_TO_FOREIGN_DOGS hidden modifier only for japan in hoi3 AI that makes it vastly overestimate its military power compared to USA to try and make it historically stupid

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

podcat posted:

I coded in a special DEATH_TO_FOREIGN_DOGS hidden modifier only for japan in hoi3 AI that makes it vastly overestimate its military power compared to USA to try and make it historically stupid

But this modifier only applies to certain National Dog counters, right? :v:

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

podcat posted:

Sounds promising.

Merdifex
May 13, 2015

by Shine

Drone posted:

A legit concern of mine in my current HoI3 game as Italy is that, even though I got fascists elected to the White House using spies, the dumbass Japanese AI is going to do Pearl Harbor anyway unless I can somehow align the USA to Axis fast enough to have them join.

That's the dumbest thing about it, why would your spies be able to orchestrate a regime-change like that and have it stick?

It's fun but dumb. Like that time where I spammed spies to make both Japan and USA communist but only managed to get Japan in the Comintern. So I'm now at war with USA and their Stalinist puppet government I installed myself because pearl harbor.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Speaking of fun but dumb...

If you were of the mindset to do a pulp/super-science mod for HoI, how would you make jetpack/rocketter infantry stand out as unique in a strategic/grand-strategy rules set?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Speaking of fun but dumb...

If you were of the mindset to do a pulp/super-science mod for HoI, how would you make jetpack/rocketter infantry stand out as unique in a strategic/grand-strategy rules set?

Motorised infantry who can paradrop without planes?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Gort posted:

Motorised infantry who can paradrop without planes?

That is however a really far distance to rocket jump I would say... A province is just a tiny bit bigger than a few meters...

Bel Monte
Oct 9, 2012
Another thing I just realized that an earlier start date has going for it, is government changes. I remember working so hard to turn Turkey Communist just in time for the war in hoi3. It was fun-ish. Would have liked more subtle influences like stroking the fires of revolution/ideology shifts though. :/

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I don't suppose there was ever a point where HOI3 gamersgate versions could be used to get a steam key? Or was that just CK2?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Groogy posted:

That is however a really far distance to rocket jump I would say... A province is just a tiny bit bigger than a few meters...

Haven't you seen the movie Rocketeer? They can fly a long ways.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SeaTard posted:

Haven't you seen the movie Rocketeer? They can fly a long ways.
We have this thing called FlaK...

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know how to get EU: Rome to not crash after about 10 minutes on Windows 8.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Larry Parrish posted:

Does anyone know how to get EU: Rome to not crash after about 10 minutes on Windows 8.

Run it in a windows xp virtual machine inside of windows 8.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Larry Parrish posted:

Dont play it.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Larry Parrish posted:

Wait for Rome 2 to be announced in early autumn.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ofaloaf posted:

Wait for Rome 2 to be completed in 2017

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

PS Podcat you already did the National Dog dev diary, but I think it'd be funny if you guys also did a dev diary that explained the new tank tech tree/tank advancement would basically be a Princess Maker game, but with a tank. If I knew how to use photoshop I would include a picture here, but sadly I am actually not at all talented at anything.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

uPen posted:

Run it in a windows xp virtual machine inside of windows 8.

How do I do this. Do you mean literally a VM. Or that weird XP extended compatibility mode thing. Because I think that would seriously tank performance.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Larry Parrish posted:

How do I do this. Do you mean literally a VM. Or that weird XP extended compatibility mode thing. Because I think that would seriously tank performance.

An actual vm, it's how I've been playing darkest hour for like 2 years. Performance is fine, dh runs a lot smoother and faster in a virtual xp environment than it does natively in 8.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicAcne
May 25, 2014
so the devs of Victoria Ultimate intend to charge 5 bucks for it.

modders.txt

• Locked thread