Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
The authoritative site for credit card rewards: https://www.nerdwallet.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

High Lord Elbow posted:

Fidelity Amex is the best I've found. 2% unlimited cash back on everything. No fees.

Fidelity Amex appears to only give you the 2% when you invest the rewards in a Fidelity brokerage account. Citi Double Cash gives you 2% without having to dick around too much (1% when you swipe, 1% when you pay the bill) and no annual fee, plus it's a MasterCard instead of Amex.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Powerlurker posted:

Fidelity Amex appears to only give you the 2% when you invest the rewards in a Fidelity brokerage account. Citi Double Cash gives you 2% without having to dick around too much (1% when you swipe, 1% when you pay the bill) and no annual fee, plus it's a MasterCard instead of Amex.
I have this card and while the rewards do show up as money in an investment account, it has the option to just transfer the money to one of my linked bank accounts.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

At half the rate

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

E. Babby posted, didn't know he could climb the kitchen table. Will edit in content later.

Having expensive electronics in reach of children = bad with money.

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 28, 2015

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Someone call the police, a goon is in trouble

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Good with money: account-sharing with your toddler

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
I feel like random toddler posting could only improve the overall standard of the forums. We should allow a certain percentage of toddler posts; perhaps offering Slowmo financial advice, E/N relationships, TCC life advice etc.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Really want to know what the toddler wrote.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

silvergoose posted:

Really want to know what the toddler wrote.

Pureed carrots can't melt steel beams.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
It was strikingly similar to some of the posts you used to see in the old benzo threads.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
"buy bitcoin"

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

BWM: Sibling Edition:

My 28 year old sister broke up with her boyfriend, so she moved back in with our parents while she sorted some things out (good with money?).

She then decided that she wants to stay until next March so she can move to London. I spoke to her yesterday and in the 5 months she's been living at home she has only saved AUD $1000, and when she decided to finally do a budget she "couldn't figure out where a whole $1000 a month is going".

That 1000 unknown dollars a month is on top of another $1000 a month on naturapathy/fad diets/supplements. Add to that going to festivals, concerts, buying lots of clothes, and apparently a trip to Bali in October.

She has no debt, is not paying rent/utilities, but is somehow managing to burn thousands of dollars a month on bullshit, some of it unidentified.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Is she fat or something?

Hocus Pocus
Sep 7, 2011

Cultural Imperial posted:

Is she fat or something?

Was - now is one of those born again fitness and health enthusiasts who won't eat dairy, wheat, cured meats, sugar, caffeine etc etc.

I'm all for a balanced diet and exercise, but as soon as someone says "no cheese or cured meat" they've crossed a sacred line.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
:( I'm lactose intolerant. I can't help it dude. Whys you discriminate against me?

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Hocus Pocus posted:

Was - now is one of those born again fitness and health enthusiasts who won't eat dairy, wheat, cured meats, sugar, caffeine etc etc.

I'm all for a balanced diet and exercise, but as soon as someone says "no cheese or cured meat" they've crossed a sacred line.

Crikey, she's done for.

At least tell me she didn't download "The Whole Pantry" app when it was still online.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Powerlurker posted:

Is MasterCard over Amex good? Or just from a "more places take this" standpoint. Because I like having a doubled warranty on everything I purchase with Amex.

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

No Butt Stuff posted:

Is MasterCard over Amex good? Or just from a "more places take this" standpoint. Because I like having a doubled warranty on everything I purchase with Amex.

Mostly because more places accept it. Also, plenty of Visa and MasterCard cards offer some sort of extended purchase protection (not sure if it's as good as Amex, but similar programs are offered).

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

No Butt Stuff posted:

We prefer mastercard for convenience of being taken everywhere. Even costco is renegotiating and probably going to drop amex so our only reason to have an amex card is about to go away.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
We have both a Fidelity Amex and Visa, both set to deposit 100%of the rebates into my children's 529 accounts. Amex gives 2% and Visa gives 1.5%, so we only use the Visa at places that don't take Amex. We put absolutely everything we can on the credit cards and pay them off in full each month, with autopay drawing from checking on the due date. It's free money for my kids and a month of float for me, not that that matters at current interest rates. I also like having everything I buy on 1-2 electronic statements that I can compile in Excel.

And whoever said they cut the rebate to 1% if you pull it out of Fidelity accounts is full of poo poo. Yes, you need a brokerage account, but once it hits, it's cash like any other.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

No Butt Stuff posted:

i still have my AmEx, but the citi double cash is 2% on everything as mentioned above, has the extended warranty, the car rental, almost all the same benefits as AmEx. So its not like one is awful, but the double cash tends to have a bit more with pretty much no downside.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.
Cross post from another thread

Nagato posted:

holy crap, people in general are bad at personal finance

http://www.reddit.com/r/tifu/comments/3bhwi8/tifu_by_putting_my_wife_and_kid_on_the_streets/

$20k in the hole because internet videos were telling him he could be rich

it's a good read would recommend

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

High Lord Elbow posted:

We have both a Fidelity Amex and Visa, both set to deposit 100%of the rebates into my children's 529 accounts.

Speaking of 529 accounts, does anyone else have one and how has it done with contributions and the whatnot?

I guess mine has done well enough in that I had hoped to have 20k in there by the time my daughter turned 18 and it's on track for 25k. But holy loving poo poo that doesn't pay for much these days. I think we started out at $50 a month and now we're up to almost $200 between two kids and it'll be gone within three years even with free tuition from a state school. A nice private university would have required the equivalent of an 18 year car note in contributions for each kid.

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

That was a horrible read.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 29, 2015

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug

That guy says he has a degree is business. He should probably go ahead and give it back. Assuming it isn't from a degree mill anyway, I could totally see someone like that buying into getting their bachelor's in an afternoon for $499.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Krispy Kareem posted:

I guess mine has done well enough in that I had hoped to have 20k in there by the time my daughter turned 18 and it's on track for 25k. But holy loving poo poo that doesn't pay for much these days. I think we started out at $50 a month and now we're up to almost $200 between two kids and it'll be gone within three years even with free tuition from a state school. A nice private university would have required the equivalent of an 18 year car note in contributions for each kid.

Yeah... we're planning for 20k per year per kid in today's dollars.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Wow that was awesome :-/ People be dumb...

Krispy Kareem posted:

Speaking of 529 accounts, does anyone else have one and how has it done with contributions and the whatnot?

That was a horrible read.
I think my state school undergrad tuition was about 30k. I don't have my spreadsheet handy as I'm phone-postin' but around there. This was with community college for the first half, and I had to get 225cr for CPA eligibility purposes, and it was from 2008-2014. Tuition and books only. My little sis went to a highly regarded east coast private school and her gross tuition/room/board was right around 250k (2011-15). Less due to scholarships, plus many flights each year as home is in the PNW - my dad worked the CC points system to offset a lot of the flight costs at least.

Free tuition sounds amazing!

Rurutia posted:

This sounds very reasonable for total cost for a state school. I know that's about what my buddy paid, 2010-14.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

"Hey I've spend thousands of dollars and this stuff and nothing has worked... time to spend thousands more. THIS will be the one!"

quote:

daddy needed backlinks, daddy needed SEO, daddy needed some content, daddy wanted an authority site.

*pays for all of this*.

I once read some wise words about business, and that's to learn how to do all this stuff yourself instead of throwing money at it. Like I think it said "You can spend $10,000 to get your first customer, or you can spend nothing more than normal operating costs, and time, to get your first customer." And it was true.

^ Speaking of non-college tuition. My state is now allowing parents to choose where they want their school tax dollars to go (something like $5,000 per kid). So if someone home schools their kid they can keep that $5,000 (IIRC), or it can go towards a private school or something. My guess is bad with tax dollars, but I'm not sure. Our governor actually just passed a billion dollar school tax increase though so maybe schools will still get the funding they need.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Education/2015/0603/Nevada-s-groundbreaking-school-choice-law-Help-or-hindrance-to-public-system

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

High Lord Elbow posted:

We have both a Fidelity Amex and Visa, both set to deposit 100%of the rebates into my children's 529 accounts. Amex gives 2% and Visa gives 1.5%, so we only use the Visa at places that don't take Amex. We put absolutely everything we can on the credit cards and pay them off in full each month, with autopay drawing from checking on the due date. It's free money for my kids and a month of float for me, not that that matters at current interest rates. I also like having everything I buy on 1-2 electronic statements that I can compile in Excel.

And whoever said they cut the rebate to 1% if you pull it out of Fidelity accounts is full of poo poo. Yes, you need a brokerage account, but once it hits, it's cash like any other.

Doesn't the fidelity amex give you the full 2% directly as cash rebates if you redeem points in $250 increments?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Rurutia posted:

Yeah, I'm the same. Except for the 'per year' part. :sigh:

Fortunately my state taxes poor people to fund tuition for state colleges. So as long as my kids keep a B average all I have to cover is fee's, books, and living expenses. Thanks lottery I'm smart enough not to play!

Knyteguy posted:

^ Speaking of non-college tuition. My state is now allowing parents to choose where they want their school tax dollars to go (something like $5,000 per kid). So if someone home schools their kid they can keep that $5,000 (IIRC), or it can go towards a private school or something. My guess is bad with tax dollars, but I'm not sure. Our governor actually just passed a billion dollar school tax increase though so maybe schools will still get the funding they need.
[/url]

I guess it depends on how they're allotting funds or making up for the $5k a kid/year shortfall. If they take it from the school district, then the schools might actually benefit in the short run as long as they were spending more than $5k each year to educate the student who is no longer enrolled. In the long run it's not so good because schools have fixed costs that don't change with declining enrollment.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jun 29, 2015

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yeah, I'm the same. Except for the 'per year' part. :sigh:

Fortunately my state taxes poor people to fund tuition for state colleges. So as long as my kids keep a B average all I have to cover is fee's, books, and living expenses. Thanks lottery I'm smart enough not to play!
I'm jealous. That's so cheap!

Your kids can work a PT job to make up the minor shortfall. It usually makes them a better student and far more employable later on.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

SiGmA_X posted:

I'm jealous. That's so cheap!

Your kids can work a PT job to make up the minor shortfall. It usually makes them a better student and far more employable later on.

The idea is for the 529 plan to cover 2 years, we pay out-of-pocket for 1 year, and they take loans/save up for the last year with a goal of them graduating with no more than 20k in student loan debt.

And after they graduate I use all the money I'm saving to buy a horse.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

I'm mixed on 529's. My kids are under 4, and I doubt education in 15 years will look like it does today. I think we're on the edge of a bubble where people will soon realize that there are vastly more efficient ways to educate than to park 50 bored teenagers in a classroom in front of a live instructor, then bill them $40k and build a new fitness center.

But I don't want money to be a barrier either, so my goal is $250k per 529 when they turn 18. If they don't need it all, no biggie, I guess.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Knyteguy posted:

^ Speaking of non-college tuition. My state is now allowing parents to choose where they want their school tax dollars to go (something like $5,000 per kid). So if someone home schools their kid they can keep that $5,000 (IIRC), or it can go towards a private school or something. My guess is bad with tax dollars, but I'm not sure.

Are the child-free allowed to opt out of the tax entirely?

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

BarbarianElephant posted:

That's a great idea if I can opt out of subsidizing Obamacare for smokers and obese people.

You can't have it both ways, see?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's in everyone's interest to have a strong education system, whether their kids take advantage of it or not. Investing in education rather than dealing with the consequences of an undereducated society is good with money.

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

If only we had a strong education system instead of simply an expensive one...

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Depends on your county and your age. Here, you no longer pay the school portion of your property taxes once you reach 65.

Which is nice for people on a fixed income, but ignores the fact that their home values have a direct link to local school quality.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Mm, well the new tax is on tobacco products, business licenses, and a very small payroll tax for companies with greater than $4,000,000 in yearly revenue. So no on that. The allotment (ESA I guess is what it's called) is just that. No kid no allotment.

People here can't complain about taxes too much in my opinion, since we have no state tax. We're also pretty business friendly, especially to warehouses.

e^ ah, not sure about property taxes. Interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

Antifreeze Head posted:

That guy says he has a degree is business. He should probably go ahead and give it back. Assuming it isn't from a degree mill anyway, I could totally see someone like that buying into getting their bachelor's in an afternoon for $499.

I felt bad for the gullible guy until he said he had a degree in Marketing. Maybe I don't know what actually goes into obtaining that kind of degree, but if anyone should see though that bullshit shouldn't it be you???

('you' reddit poster, not 'you' goon I am quoting)

• Locked thread