Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kojicolnair
Mar 18, 2009
I was having the DX11 crashing issue but I had to take out my video card yesterday and ever since putting it back in and installing the nvidia chrome crashing hotfix I haven't had the issue. Granted I haven't felt like playing as many hours at a time due to the heat so that could have something to do with it as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm almost at fifty, I should have the first msq by the middle of this week (assuming I don't get distracted :sweatdrop: )

Would you goons recommend checking out the Hildibrand stuff as soon as that is done or should I be trying to get to the new content asap?

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

rock2much posted:

FSH is going to be my next class from 50-60. Any tips on where to start fishing?

There's a skyfishing area right at the end of the frozen river in Western Highlands. With fully melded Forager's and a Supra I was fishing up level 51/52 fish at a decent clip, and with rested XP and one of the manuals they give you it was easy to hit 51. After that I was just fishing around various ponds in Western Coerthas, because I didn't understand collectibles at the time. But try to aim for whatever collectible you can turn in for that day.

One thing that kind of bummed me out is that, while you learn Powerful Hookset at 51, it only seems to work on large pulls (discerned by the sound your rod makes when you get a bite). You learn Precision Hookset at 56, which works on smaller fish, and makes grabbing collectibles a lot more tolerable.

If you're not leveling Goldsmith, find a friend who is and can make you the level 58/60 lures, because they make fishing the highest level turn ins easier. All other baits can be purchased from vendors except for aetherchemical bait, which I've only found being sold in stacks of 50 for 50 scrips.

Also, I've had 610 GP on my FSH by equipping my right side jewelry from BTN/MIN after 3.0 hit. With my old i70 melded jewelry I didn't even have enough GP to pop Patience. So swap those out once you hit 51.

Vitamean fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 29, 2015

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ouhei posted:

I don't think there's a bracelet from a quest, but if you manage to get to 50 without one of the dungeons throwing something that at least beats out Aug. Ironworks I don't know how you managed. The dungeons vomit accessory pieces.

I got to 60 on my non-aug ironworks bracelet, which I then replaced with a law one to get my ilevel to 145 and get exdr unlocked :v:

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

SirPhoebos posted:

I'm almost at fifty, I should have the first msq by the middle of this week (assuming I don't get distracted :sweatdrop: )

Would you goons recommend checking out the Hildibrand stuff as soon as that is done or should I be trying to get to the new content asap?
Maybe try using Hildebrand like you would a TV show; when you get tired of the level grind and want to take a break go and do one. Compared to the super-serious Heavensward storyline he's basically a comedy interlude. There's no real rush to get to 60 unless you desperately care about missing a weekly tome cap. It's going to be a while before real raiding starts so it isn't like you'll get left behind if you take your time.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

SirPhoebos posted:

The Hildibrand quests are awesome, but at this point I would keep working on the MSQ and get to 3.0 content first. Remember that you don't get exp for completing Hildibrand quests.

As a side note, finishing all the Hildibrand trials is a requirement for unlocking Trial Roulette. Fortunately they're all easy with PUGs.

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 29, 2015

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

As a side note, finishing all the Hildibrand trials is a requirement for unlocking Trial Roulette. Fortunately they're all easy with PUGs.

This isn't true anymore. With 3.0, Trial Roulette works like LLDR and includes any trials you've unlocked.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

This isn't true anymore. With 3.0, Trial Roulette works like LLDR and includes any trials you've unlocked.

Oh, really? Never mind then! :downs:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Klades posted:

I'm on a 970 and, other than one instance where my display drivers crashed the other day, it only ever crashes when I exit the game.
On the other hand, it always crashes when I exit the game.

This has been my exact experience with the 970 as well. I have a stock one with no overclocks. Very stable and works great in fullscreen windowed 1440p and while I tend to not hit 60fps (closer to 50 :ohdear: ) when I crank it to max, it's been very stable other than the weird crash when closing. I, too, assumed it was some weird Windows 8 whatever. Maybe it is.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If your at lvl 60, and you need to upgrade your bracers to do the expert dungeons. Run the last story dungeon before the trial, twice. You get 80 per and most like will get the 40 bonus for someone doing it the first time because there's no loot people arnt really going to be running it to gear out. Then go buy the 170 bracers from the shop in goblin town.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 29, 2015

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

SirPhoebos posted:

If you wanna do it then do it.

If you're not sure then go do the first one, they're all pretty much the same kind of humor so if you think the first one is funny and/or entertaining the rest of them will be too.

If you just want to pound away at your MSQ to get to 60, then do that.

Tenzarin posted:

If your at lvl 60, and you need to upgrade your braced to do the expert dungeons. Run the last story dungeon before the trial, twice. You get 80 per and most like will get the 40 bonus for someone doing it the first time because there's no loot people arnt really going to be running it to gear out. Then go buy the 170 bracers from the shop in goblin town.

I'd have to check when I get home, but I had to replace a ring rather than the bracelets at 60 to get to 145+, so if you got really unlucky in the dungeons you may have to replace both. If you still have your roulettes untouched when you hit 60 I believe you can buy both since they're like 210 stones, I want to say.

Also, I like that they used kind of a soft gating for the tomestones/centurio seals so that if you really really want to you can just saw away at dungeons and A/S hunts, or you can just do the daily/weekly stuff and still get everything reasonably fast. I think the napkin math I did came up to about 20ish days to get everything and upgrade everything from the law vendor.

Which also reminds me: if you're doing trial roulette at 60 and inevitably get bismarck, don't be the other tank in my last group that just ran in and started it without saying a drat thing so we all wipe once because bismarck isn't a fight you can overpower with the power of your friendship or whatever. If you're not gonna say anything, at least let someone else type out the 3-4 things everyone needs to know so we're not here all day.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

rock2much posted:

FSH is going to be my next class from 50-60. Any tips on where to start fishing?

Try somewhere with water

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Moldy Taxes posted:

There's a skyfishing area right at the end of the frozen river in Western Highlands. With fully melded Forager's and a Supra I was fishing up level 51/52 fish at a decent clip, and with rested XP and one of the manuals they give you it was easy to hit 51. After that I was just fishing around various ponds in Western Coerthas, because I didn't understand collectibles at the time. But try to aim for whatever collectible you can turn in for that day.

One thing that kind of bummed me out is that, while you learn Powerful Hookset at 51, it only seems to work on large pulls (discerned by the sound your rod makes when you get a bite). You learn Precision Hookset at 56, which works on smaller fish, and makes grabbing collectibles a lot more tolerable.

If you're not leveling Goldsmith, find a friend who is and can make you the level 58/60 lures, because they make fishing the highest level turn ins easier. All other baits can be purchased from vendors except for aetherchemical bait, which I've only found being sold in stacks of 50 for 50 scrips.

Also, I've had 610 GP on my FSH by equipping my right side jewelry from BTN/MIN after 3.0 hit. With my old i70 melded jewelry I didn't even have enough GP to pop Patience. So swap those out once you hit 51.

With the 3 specialized crafting cap, I was looking at GSM to be one of the three. I guess this is more motivation to do that. Thanks for the advice!

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Oh yeah, one more thing: you only need Hoverworms starting out. After you start fishing in the 51+ ponds, you can pack all your old poo poo away or sell them, because they don't get poo poo in any of the other fishing spots.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Truga posted:

I got to 60 on my non-aug ironworks bracelet, which I then replaced with a law one to get my ilevel to 145 and get exdr unlocked :v:

Dang, you're pretty unlucky! I've had to turn down so many bracelets in The Vault, if only I could get the hands/feet to drop...

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I think y'all may have undersold just how great the music in the last zone is. I can't pin down why it's so great, it feels like some dark futuristic music, but it's not Deus Ex (at least, none of the new ones) and it's not Blade Runner, but it's too good to be something like Demolition Man. Maybe new Dredd? Anyways, Soken is in no way inferior to Uematsu.

Rei_ posted:

It really feels like the Forelands were designed when they concieved of you having access to the flying mount right from the jump, later areas feel a lot more logically gated (the two halves of the Hinterlands, the four quadrants of Azys Lla)

Whoever put that one current on top of the cliff where you have to go all the goddamn way around in Hinterlands is a goddamn monster.

Tenzarin posted:

If your at lvl 60, and you need to upgrade your bracers to do the expert dungeons. Run the last story dungeon before the trial, twice. You get 80 per and most like will get the 40 bonus for someone doing it the first time because there's no loot people arnt really going to be running it to gear out. Then go buy the 170 bracers from the shop in goblin town.

Oh, that's how people are getting Law at such prodigious rates. Newbie bonuses.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Yeah, you don't get newbie bonus too often in the expert roulette, but you get it pretty often in Aetheroblahblah. Enemies there are weaker too, plus the boss fights are a nice change of pace if you're getting a little tired of the experts.

Just don't be a dick to the newbies for having the nerve to watch the cutscenes at the end.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I'm using a 970 strix, but I don't think it's overclocked unless it was factory over clocked. I still get the crashes even in DX9 now, but I think it has something to do with ACT and not actually DX9.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Moldy Taxes posted:

Oh yeah, one more thing: you only need Hoverworms starting out. After you start fishing in the 51+ ponds, you can pack all your old poo poo away or sell them, because they don't get poo poo in any of the other fishing spots.

How's the gearing going to be? I have some semi-melded Foragers stuff and the top (Lucis?) rod. I capped out desynth on my CUL too so I'm hoping to gain some profit there if possible.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Gearhead posted:

The one I'm wondering about is what the hell Primal is Onyx Carbuncle a counterpart to?

Ifrit probably, since there isn't an attacker carbuncle counterpart for him yet.

Kanfy posted:

I never had a big issue with the moogle quests since you can fly for most of them and moogles are great. That said that one quest where you have to clear out bird nests in Zenith and the moogle specifically tells you the birds make their nests up high, only for it to turn out that the one remaining nest I looked for for half an hour was actually on the ground was a gigantic dick move. :colbert:

gently caress that quest and the intentional mislead. I only figured to check the ground because there was literally no other place it could've been after wasting 10 minutes or so checking every nook and cranny.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

Ifrit probably, since there isn't an attacker carbuncle counterpart for him yet.

He's using a Ruby one elsewhere, so that's unlikely.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Evil Fluffy posted:

No, Alph uses a Ruby Carby earlier in the MSQ. Easy to miss though, he doesn't call it out like he does with this one.

e:fb

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Is anyone else besides me playing on PS3? I need help!

I downloaded Heavensward and have been playing it since the early access, but a couple of days ago when I started up the game I saw that the expansion wasn't installed anymore :( The 'A Realm Reborn' install is there -- on the PS3's desktop the game icon is the Heavensward icon but when I start the game it loads up the 'A Realm Reborn' start screen (that is to say, the screen that appears after you log in).

I've tried re-installing the expansion, deleting everything and reinstalling ARR and HW and I still can't play because it's not recognizing the expansion. Every time I've tried to re-download the expansion it doesn't install when I log in.

WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON

I just want to play :(

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
What's your mog station summary of services look like?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Whose bright idea was it to have unspoiled nodes up for such a small window?

EDIT: And what time EST will the servers be coming up? Gonna do an all nigher tot ry and make some alts.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I think y'all may have undersold just how great the music in the last zone is. I can't pin down why it's so great, it feels like some dark futuristic music, but it's not Deus Ex (at least, none of the new ones) and it's not Blade Runner, but it's too good to be something like Demolition Man. Maybe new Dredd? Anyways, Soken is in no way inferior to Uematsu.

It's really reminiscent of Mass Effect's music to me.

Jia posted:

I was under the assumption that the carbuncles didn't adhere to a primal because they're not primals. They're aetheric constructs that arcanists use as pets, so they're not drawing on the aether of any specific primal like a summoner uses. When you're in the cave with Matoya he says that the work she had him do was inspirational for him coming up with a new kind of carbuncle, and in practice it seemed to use the Topaz' spin attack and possibly the ruby's melee stuff, so it's probably just a mashup of different carbuncles that he already has access to. </sperg>

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I think I mentioned this earlier, but man the new PLD skills make the class so much fun to play! It was starting to get pretty stale after playing it for so long (I knew it was simple and wanted to learn tanking), but the new skills make it way more interesting.

Sheltron - sweet animation, love the short CD and it's useful in both mob pulls and boss fights
Goring Blade - sweet animation, gives PLD a DPS 1-2-3, adds trying to keep it up while maintaining threat
Divine Veil - I'm still getting used to this one, but it's pretty great for boss battles, I try to pop it right before a party wide AoE when everyone gathers up.
Clemency - Another healing skill, great to use on occasion. I try to watch for the healer taking big hits and hit them with it
Royal Authority - Haven't gotten this yet, but I hear good things

We got another codlin, a new combo (I believe Royal Authority makes it 2 new combos) and some healing aspects (finally). There's just so much more to think about/do, rather than just 1-2-3-Repeat. Way to go SE.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Jia posted:

Who says there has to be a 1:1 relation between carbuncles and egis?

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

The Chairman posted:

What's your mog station summary of services look like?

Hrm...my Account Status in the Mog Station exemplifies that I don't have a license for Heavensward.

How does that work? I've been playing since early access and I'm able to download the expansion of the Playstation Store, what the hell?

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Huh, I found a new lvl 54 sidequest chain in Mor Dhona. It involves the Doman refugee kids and a vicious troupe of lala bandits.

Seems like it might be an ongoing thing like delivery quests or Hildibrand, though not add elaborate. Dunno if more unlock later, I'm only 57.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Hrm...my Account Status in the Mog Station exemplifies that I don't have a license for Heavensward.

How does that work? I've been playing since early access and I'm able to download the expansion of the Playstation Store, what the hell?

The early access code isn't the same as the HW code, make sure you put in the actual HW code. I have no idea where it would have come from with a PS3, but that's probably it. The EA code had a grace period of about a week to let people get their actual HW codes and put them in.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Bismark EX was cool, shame there's no real reason to run it more than once except for glamours.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Boten Anna posted:

This has been my exact experience with the 970 as well. I have a stock one with no overclocks. Very stable and works great in fullscreen windowed 1440p and while I tend to not hit 60fps (closer to 50 :ohdear: ) when I crank it to max, it's been very stable other than the weird crash when closing. I, too, assumed it was some weird Windows 8 whatever. Maybe it is.

It's not a weird Windows 8 thing since I'm still on 7. It's also not necessarily related to the video card, although it could be. When the game crashed in the middle it was an obvious driver crash, i.e. the video was gone so I was looking at my desktop but the game was still running and the audio still playing and such. And it took Firefox down with it, which is something that happens semioften when I have a display driver crash (and I played through The Witcher three weeks ago so I have had plenty of run-ins with display driver crashes).

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Bismark EX was cool, shame there's no real reason to run it more than once except for glamours.

That's the only reason to run anything. :colbert:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Begemot posted:

Huh, I found a new lvl 54 sidequest chain in Mor Dhona. It involves the Doman refugee kids and a vicious troupe of lala bandits.

Seems like it might be an ongoing thing like delivery quests or Hildibrand, though not add elaborate. Dunno if more unlock later, I'm only 57.

It's got its own section in the completed quest log like the Hildibrand, CT, Coil etc. quests did, so I absolutely expect more from this quest chain in future patches.

My favorite animation moment in it was when the kids and your character line up, the kids strike a pose in unison, and your character glances to the side, sees the pose, and snaps into it as well to match them. It's a subtle 1-2 second thing that's easy to miss but I found it hilarious.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

rock2much posted:

How's the gearing going to be? I have some semi-melded Foragers stuff and the top (Lucis?) rod. I capped out desynth on my CUL too so I'm hoping to gain some profit there if possible.

I started replacing my fully melded Forager's with the level 55 stuff sold at Moghome, trading less GP for slightly higher gathering and perception. At 58 you can wear the scrips gear, which is unmeldable and looks like blue forager's, but it offers some nice bonuses to gathering and perception. Jewelry needs to be crafted, but my fully melded jewelry is still serving me well, so it'll probably be the last thing I start trying to make. I don't know the stats for Lucis, but my Supra lasted me through 55, so chances are Lucis will carry you almost if not all the way to 60.

Dhalmelskin stuff doesn't look too shabby either.

My dCUL was around the low 90s when I started fishing, and although I was getting 9% chances on the level 51 fish I was catching so many of them that by just brute forcing them I was able to get to 120 pretty easily. Now I'm almost at 160 and it's slowed down, but if you're at or near cap on dCUL you'll be able to break down the new fish easily.

At 56 you can pick up Aetherial Reduction, which I haven't messed around with at all but apparently can net up to a thousand crystals for an hour of work, which sounds bonkers. It's not tied to your desynthesis, but can only be done to certain collectibles.

rock2much
Feb 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Moldy Taxes posted:

great stuff

Thanks!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Oh, that's how people are getting Law at such prodigious rates. Newbie bonuses.

Expert, high, low, MSQ daily roulette so will give you 460 law each day. You need 2400 for the whole set, so 5 days just with roulettes. It's a lot different from running Casterm(?) something like 40-50 times.

The grind is in the hunts. 100 for the weekly, 75 for all the 15 reward dailes. The other 2 levels of clan hunts will give you 50 and 25 also. So 150 daily if you have time to do them all. You also need like 2400 of them to upgrade everything to 180.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 29, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

So are tanks at 60 still buying strength jewelry instead of tank jewelry? Gonna have to start spending Law eventually I suppose.

After I finished the MSQ yesterday I spent a little while getting SMN, DRG and BLM up to 51 in north Thanalan. That way, once I eventually decide which one I want to play (help, all three look fantastically fun :(), I can get started right off with Dusk Vigil, mix that up with what sidequests are remaining to me.

Be nice if duty roulettes granted Law in addition to XP once you've got one 60, so I don't have to decide how to divvy them up every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Tenzarin posted:

Expert, high, low, MSQ daily roulette so will give you 480 law each day. You need 2400 for the whole set, so 5 days just with roulettes. It's a lot different from running Casterm(?) something like 40-50 times.

MSQ roulette gives you poe. Trial gives you law.

A full i170 set is 3095 without the weapon, and 3665 with.

e: 2400 cent without the weapon, 2795 with. Old hunts also give you cent and law.

Tsurupettan fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 29, 2015

• Locked thread