Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer
I was really surprised there wasn't a map with catwoman and the riddler bots, I really liked that it force you to switch between characters a lot. And if you enjoyed that section, you should definitely take the time to finish up the riddler stuff at some point because I thought his boss fight was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Do breakables matter? They don't seem to change the riddle number.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

Aquasnake posted:

Do breakables matter? They don't seem to change the riddle number.

They do, but they work like the did in city. You complete a challenge for every five you break in a certain area for a total of 15 in every building/island.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Medium Cool posted:

The throws are an awesome addition to combat, and I don't really miss the batswarm. I also appreciate that the other characters had special combos tied to every button combo, it really helped the flow of combat in dual play for me. We really need more dual play challenge maps, and at least one dual predator challenge. That segment with robin is probably my favorite one in the game.

You know I think that'd probably be my big complaint is that the challenges don't feel the same at all. It's just one round of AR challenges that are integrated into the main game. I like the concept behind unlocking them, do this special thing to unlock a challenge map! But at least combat-wise I miss the multiple rounds of increasing danger. It was an excellent way to practice for one, but I was kinda looking forward to a map with two multi-weapon brutes and like 3-4 medics. About the only thing that really hits the same level I'm looking for is Azrael's map but that's DON'T TAKE A HIT OR YOU'RE BONED map and it takes a while to reach that level of danger.

I guess what I'm saying is where is my GCPD rooftop combat map.

Aside from that the other disappointment is the Deathstroke fight. I mean it sort of cheapens the concept of the Cloudburst tank. Having that be a one-shot fight would be better to me, you can't just taunt me with Deathstroke and then not have the same level of fight as in Arkham Origins.

Aquasnake posted:

Speaking of, is it just me or is the throw counter a little finicky to pull off consistently, like they say press towards the attacker, but it's not really clear where the line is between like, Forward, or Forward-Left, I've even had times where they are like Cardinal Direction North in front of me and it just doesn't work sometimes. I know I have the timing down, but the direction can be tough to pin down.

I've been able to start doing it pretty reliably, the direction isn't as important as the timing is. It's basically your critical counters from the last few games, if a single guy is attacking you you've almost got to wait for them to hit you. Double and triple counters seem to have no timing requirement though, did a triple throw counter with Azrael and it FELT PRETTY GOOD.

UnsuitableWasp
Mar 3, 2013

dscruffy1 posted:

Hello friends. I finished the game and the Harley Quinn stuff, don't have the Red Hood stuff since I didn't preorder from Gamestop. I think it's good.

Is it just me or is the game harder? I got wrecked a few times by brutes, probably intentional. Everything seems to move faster too but this could be because I've spent almost the last year playing a poo poo ton of the last three games so I've gotten used to their timing.

I got my rear end kicked a few times too- also for some reason I can't do the blade dodge takedown consistently- and that's on normal knife mooks - they seem faster than before. Also one a goon commits to attacking you they can sprint through the whole room just to punch you in the back of the head. There are so many different enemies and combinations that I felt a bit overwhelmed at some points - crowds just became a sea of brutes, shields, ninjas and electrified assholes- the rooftop fight of the GCPD was a hard fight for me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Metos posted:

Lazarus pit only works if you're dying, not if you're dead.

Ra's al Ghul dies in Arkham City and Batman says to Oracle that he'll be in need of a Lazarus Pit.

Ra's al Ghul's body can be found in Arkham Asylum's morgue, but it's gone and he's alive by the time City comes around.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Metos posted:

Lazarus pit only works if you're dying, not if you're dead.

This has been changed ages ago, and also the real reason Batman doesn't use the pit on his dead allies is because you come out insane.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TheJoker138 posted:

This has been changed ages ago, and also the real reason Batman doesn't use the pit on his dead allies is because you come out insane.

Mr. Freeze did use it on Nora once, and it turned her into a supervillain. Don't think that went anywhere, though.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

TheJoker138 posted:

More relevant to Arkham Knight, wasn't this how Jason came back to be the crazy Red Hood in that animated movie?

I still find the Arkham Knight is a original character no really marketing hilarious now though. But at the same time I understand the challenge (especially in open world games) of balancing what the audience knows about the game's story with what the characters know. Just here they blew it big time.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The Arkham Knight is cool, everyone thinks so.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Ppl seem to get really bitchy about this game for bizarre reasons.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Neo Rasa posted:

More relevant to Arkham Knight, wasn't this how Jason came back to be the crazy Red Hood in that animated movie?

That's one of my favorite animated movies,better than Assault on Arkham and Son of the Batman,for sure.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It's pretty awesome but has some real dumb stuff in it. I'd almost like to see them do "small" Arkham game again where it's in one place like Asylum. Whoever the b-team was that did Origins? They should have them do that because they already had much tighter writing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Neo Rasa posted:

Yup. Also the Assault on Arkham movie was weirdly good for being loosely based off of a Nu 52 thing. It was also the last good animated movie DC has made.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
You would think a serial arsonist would be something Batman would notice, but I guess not.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

VolticSurge posted:

That's one of my favorite animated movies,better than Assault on Arkham and Son of the Batman,for sure.

I really enjoyed it a lot too. :) Speaking of which, what were those cyborg ninja guys they fight about halfway through? Had they been in the comics for a while? They look like their designer was a big fan of the old Taito game Ninja Warriors and its sequel. :D

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

ayn rand hand job posted:

You would think a serial arsonist would be something Batman would notice, but I guess not.

Eh, if it's all just abandoned buildings with no one being hurt, I can see how that one might slip through the cracks while he's busy crippling Killer Moth or whatever.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why does batman play dumb to the firemen about firefly? you find out about firefly after the first burning station but batman keeps asking all the firemen about strange arsons for the rest of the game.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I really like the team up attacks. Can Rocksteady just make a Justice League game? That would be great.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Speaking of no one being hurt and open world Batman games, does anyone remember Batman and Robin for the PSX? Of course not because it's a licensed game based on Batman and Robin.

However, it's actually an open world game where you get to cruise around in the Batmobile all over Gotham City and break into buildings to enter detective mode and find clues. There's also pedestrians/etc. you can just cold run over which was hilarious at the time.

It's not a great game but I respect their ambition at trying to make something so good out of such a questionable movie. It's not even a very long game but the scope of what was attempted is pretty impressive:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emVUZb3e1zw

You actually have to find separate clues and "assemble" them into "____" must be involved in "____" to plan "____" for "____," it has a lot going on for the time and in general.

But that's also what holds the game back you do a lot of constant switching between detective mode, fighting mode, etc. and the controls really suffer.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 29, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Real hurthling! posted:

why does batman play dumb to the firemen about firefly? you find out about firefly after the first burning station but batman keeps asking all the firemen about strange arsons for the rest of the game.

Because there's more going on than just Firefly.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
I don't like that they brought the most useless gadget from Origins to Knight, but on top of that they made it the quickfire for the explosive gel so you can't remotely detonate any you've placed the instant an enemy walks near it, you need to switch back to explosive gel, find the gel, aim at it and then middle click, it was so much easier in City and Origins.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Neo Rasa posted:

It's pretty awesome but has some real dumb stuff in it. I'd almost like to see them do "small" Arkham game again where it's in one place like Asylum. Whoever the b-team was that did Origins? They should have them do that because they already had much tighter writing.

Honestly, I would prefer the series take a hiatus for a few years and come back with an irreverent silver age game, or just end the series here. But in a world where early access and Assassin's Creed continue to sell, these will probably continue.

I'm a bit farther in the story, just finished the Stagg airship. It was an interesting locale and had some fun Riddler trophy puzzles, but it overstayed its welcome a bit. I like how basically every Predator room is similar to the Mr. Freeze fight in City. Enemies are constantly upping the ante and the medics and boa drones keep things interesting. I know fear takedowns are kind of a "press x to win" mechanic, but I love them.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jun 29, 2015

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ra's al Ghul dies in Arkham City and Batman says to Oracle that he'll be in need of a Lazarus Pit.

Ra's al Ghul's body can be found in Arkham Asylum's morgue, but it's gone and he's alive by the time City comes around.

Also, one of the side stories in Arkham Knight talks about the League of Assassin wants to resurrect Ra's.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

Eh, if it's all just abandoned buildings with no one being hurt, I can see how that one might slip through the cracks while he's busy crippling Killer Moth or whatever.

I feel like the Arkham Series missed a chance to lighten up their universe a bit with a harmless villain like that.

Someone so ineffectual that there's no need for Batman to put them in a full body cast.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

TheJoker138 posted:

That's ignoring the intro on how basically nothing happened in Gotham and crime was dropping rapidly.

A bunch of suspicious fires should have been on his radar, not something he is literally taken aback in shock by everyone he rescues a firefighter.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I feel like the Arkham Series missed a chance to lighten up their universe a bit with a harmless villain like that.

Someone so ineffectual that there's no need for Batman to put them in a full body cast.

Electrocutioner

Real hurthling! posted:

Bad writing, and since they are asynchronous events, there's no grantee that Batman has found Firefly before coming to the revelation.

But mostly bad writing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Was Electrocutioner mentioned in the files in the other Arkham games at all? He's pretty nuts when you fight him in the NES game if you don't glitch his AI out.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Honestly, I would prefer the series take a hiatus for a few years and come back with an irreverent silver age game, or just end the series here. But in a world where early access and Assassin's Creed continue to sell, these will probably continue.

Yeah we're basically going to get Arkham games every two years forever. The only way it will stop is if there's two big flops in a row which seems unlikely. Plus with new DC movies coming out they're never going to run out of new characters/concepts to put in that are relatively fresh to the general public.

I would kill for a silver age game or even one just solely based on the Adam West series. I hate that there isn't at least a "flashing ZOWIE!" option in the Arkham games for when you knock someone out instead of the the slow motion final hits.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 29, 2015

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condiment_King

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Well, yeah, but he still gets killed. I just mean some goof like Condiment King who just gets arrested at the end.

That'd make a pretty great side mission. Some random guy in Gotham just deciding to dress up as a criminal and do a series of what they perceive to be "harmless crimes".

e:fb

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The Thumper and Ten-Eyed Man would own.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Carpenter should have been in Knight. :(

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Wouldn't it just be a repeat of the Electrocutioner from Origins?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Note on Lazarus Chat: the idea is that the Lazarus pit in AC, the one directly underneath where Bruce's parents died, was destroyed when a) Clayface was dropped in it and b) a giant electrical turbocharger thingy was dropped in afterward.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Neo Rasa posted:

I would kill for a silver age game or even one just solely based on the Adam West series. I hate that there isn't at least a "flashing ZOWIE!" option in the Arkham games for when you knock someone out instead of the the slow motion final hits.

All WB would have to do is marry the Nemesis system with a Silver Age comic book style, and they would have a money stream forever.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I. AM. BATMAN.

I beat that dude so hard that he just froze, mid-air, forever.

Also, check out the sick character textures. In all fairness, the patch did help. A little bit.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
I like this Red Hood DLC. I don't know if it's just the novelty of shooting thugs in cold blood or what

I wish it were longer

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

All? the upcoming skins got leaked. here's the most important one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMlyZJByYw4

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gently caress. ZurEnArrh is the only skin I'd actually want too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Here's the rest of them, no pics/proof but this is the same guy that leaked upcoming DLC.

http://forums.arkhamverse.com/viewtopic.php?f=111&t=23298

Highlights: Animated, Dick Grayson Batman, The Dark Knight (The Nolanverse version apparently, oh poo poo!)

• Locked thread