Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

lotta people bustin on Rutgers being in the B1G despite having the Third Best Quarterback In The Big Ten, Gary Nova last year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Alouicious posted:

lotta people bustin on Rutgers being in the B1G despite having the Third Best Quarterback In The Big Ten, Gary Nova last year

Which of Ohio State's 3-deep is he better than

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
New Mexico at least has neat looking rock formations and a mix of brown/yellow/red everywhere. I drove from CA to GA and back a couple of years ago and New Mexico was a fairly pleasant distraction after/before Arizona and Texas. That part of the 40 that goes through northern Texas through Amarillo is the loving wooooooooooooooooooooooorst.

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Arkansas had the worst roads I've ever driven on while still on an interstate highway. And at highway speeds the bumps in the concrete cause a 15 passenger van to basically hit resonance. Ask me how I know :argh:

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx

Alouicious posted:

Never Forget

Rutgers lost this game by 3 points. B1G

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee is lovely to drive through, especially the east of the state along I-40 in the fall.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Pakled posted:

Which of Ohio State's 3-deep is he better than

only one of them played more than 3 games the entire year so

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Tennessee sucks until you make it to Nashville or Memphis.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The joke is on everyone: every drive on an interstate sucks regardless of what state you're in. The baseline is "sucks."

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

computer parts posted:

I actually like New Mexico, of course this was after going through West Texas (I went to Carlsbad via the "scenic" route :negative: ).

New Mexico is fine once the ground starts rolling. Before that... I hate that place. Roswell? Terrible. Terrible.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

kayakyakr posted:

There's a 6 state area that starts west of Lubbock into New Mexico, north through the Oklahoma Panhandle, encompassing East Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri that is just the worst plot of land to drive through you could imagine. I assume it's just about the same in Nebraska and Iowa.

Once you get past the Mississippi north of the Ozarks it is basically just flat corn/wheat/soybean fields until you hit the Rockies.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

kayakyakr posted:

There's a 6 state area that starts west of Lubbock into New Mexico, north through the Oklahoma Panhandle, encompassing East Colorado, Kansas, and Missouri that is just the worst plot of land to drive through you could imagine. I assume it's just about the same in Nebraska and Iowa.

I refuse to believe any state could be worse to drive through than Wyoming

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002
It really is the interstate parts of a lot of these states that is the worst. Arkansas is beautiful but the eastern third and the area on 40 is not the nicest but the northern third of the state is beautiful and there are a lot of nice places otherwise.

New Mexico - the eastern third is really the same as western Texas and the area around 40 is horrible but the rest of the state has some of the most beautiful landscape. Pretty much any place with water is nice.

The real problem is the plains that include eastern Colorado/New Mexico across the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. Most people go east/west and that is bad enough but never try going north/south you will not survive.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Kim Jong Il posted:

People never shut up about this and meanwhile all of the NYC area cable companies folded in about two seconds. There are many reasons for this of course (BTN more established, rumors about bundling with the Yankees), but let's not forget that practically every single critic of adding Rutgers and Maryland extrapolated from the drawn out fights getting coverage in the Midwest and concluded that it would never happen here and adding the teams would be a financial boondoggle. These of course, are the exact same people still critical about the move to this day. The largest plurality of the NYC market, as tiny a sliver as it may be, is still more valuable than half of Nebraskans guaranteed to watch or whatever both in terms of population counts, higher household income, a younger fanbase, and better population trends.

At least have the intellectual dishonesty to never mention this again and move into the "money isn't everything!" club that Brian Cook currently occupies.

rutgers is super bad at sports

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

MourningView posted:

rutgers is super bad at sports

On and off the field

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
Talent was the true Enemy of Rutgers Athletics all along.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Thoguh posted:

Once you get past the Mississippi north of the Ozarks it is basically just flat corn/wheat/soybean fields until you hit the Rockies.

Hell, if you take I-80 from the Ohio/Pennsylvania border and go west, it's all pretty flat driving until you hit Wyoming.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)
Vaguely related to driving chat, next week I'm moving the rest of my fiancée's stuff out from Southern California to Chicago. Any places really worth stopping along the way (for food or things to see or whatever)? We are trying to space it out so we don't get burned out driving but still want to make decent time.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

siriuslysomething posted:

Vaguely related to driving chat, next week I'm moving the rest of my fiancée's stuff out from Southern California to Chicago. Any places really worth stopping along the way (for food or things to see or whatever)? We are trying to space it out so we don't get burned out driving but still want to make decent time.

Depends if you're taking route 66 the whole way or not

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Avoid Oklahoma. It's boring, the interstates are in perpetual construction and the cops love to hit out of state drivers if they get the chance. Also, if you have ever been to a stripmall or eaten fast food congrats, you've seen all there is to see within a several mile radius of any interstate in OK.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

If you can spend 10 days or so, going up the west coast and then across 90/94 is the best. You can time it to go Redwoods - Portland - (optional Seattle) - Couer D'Alene - Yellowstone - Bighorn - Badlands - Haul rear end The Last Boring 600 Miles. You can also go more direct and do Vegas - Zion - Arches - Miscellaneous Awesome Rockies - Denver - Haul rear end The Last Boring 1000 Miles.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Assuming you are going the fastest route it's pretty much just Vegas and Denver.

Other than that it's a lot of nothing. Utah is really pretty though! I guess I could try to pitch on places to stop in Iowa but come on.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Zifnab posted:

I refuse to believe any state could be worse to drive through than Wyoming

I took a road trip to visit friends in Louisville from Michigan and until you have driven the length of Indiana you don't know pain.

siriuslysomething
Feb 5, 2013

He's so fast!

(and probably broken)

MourningView posted:

Assuming you are going the fastest route it's pretty much just Vegas and Denver.

Other than that it's a lot of nothing. Utah is really pretty though! I guess I could try to pitch on places to stop in Iowa but come on.

Yeah this is pretty much the plan and what I expected. Oh well just thought I would ask. Thanks to everyone who had suggestions

pugnax posted:

If you can spend 10 days or so, going up the west coast and then across 90/94 is the best. You can time it to go Redwoods - Portland - (optional Seattle) - Couer D'Alene - Yellowstone - Bighorn - Badlands - Haul rear end The Last Boring 600 Miles. You can also go more direct and do Vegas - Zion - Arches - Miscellaneous Awesome Rockies - Denver - Haul rear end The Last Boring 1000 Miles.

I really wish we could do this. Thanks for the idea.

pugnax
Oct 10, 2012

Specialization is for insects.

Yeah this is pretty much the plan and what I expected. Oh well just thought I would ask. Thanks to everyone who had suggestions

I really wish we could do this. Thanks for the idea.

I'm originally from Ventura County, and went to college in Chicago, so I've driven every possible way. The Northern Rockies/PNW combo is a killer road trip, you can even swing a day climbing in Squamish if that's your thing. Try and plan it for two weeks one day, it's a really killer road trip.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Raku posted:

I'm not convinced. They lost resoundingly last year and it'll be the same guys starting.

Can't really say it better than Notorious did but it'll be an entirely different game than last year. I'm not expecting UT to blow them away but Dobbs is a completely different QB than Worley and the addition of Alvin Kamara changes the run game a lot. Hurd will be the starter instead of Lane (even though Lane got less carries last year, he was the starter, Hurd didn't play much in the beginning of the game).

Oklahoma and UT had opposite storylines last year. UT faltered at the beginning of the year and got stronger/better as the year went on. The opposite happened with Oklahoma.

I'm not going to hold my breath just yet but if I'm being optimistic I think it'll be a close game.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Zion & the Grand Canyon are nice but not really something to do when moving.

The Navajo Reservation is also really cool but incredibly depressing at the same time (Get the Fry Bread if you can though).

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I have only watched one Vol game but based on that I assume they are going to win the National Championship and score an Oregon-esque number of points doing so.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

MourningView posted:

I have only watched one Vol game but based on that I assume they are going to win the National Championship and score an Oregon-esque number of points doing so.

Peyton Manning has graduated since then

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Re: those lines posted yesterday, here's an update on how fast they moved when the sharps jumped on them.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I will never believe any UGA / South Carolina line that shows UGA as a favorite as long as Spurrdogg is the head coach there.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Michigan sources are saying that Jim Hackett will start winding down his time at AD after landing the next apparel (Nike) contract, and UConn's Warde Manuel will start to transition into that role. Manuel was a defensive tackle for Michigan from 1986-89.

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

Rad Valtar posted:

I took a road trip to visit friends in Louisville from Michigan and until you have driven the length of Indiana you don't know pain.

I know this pain well. I've been making the trip between Louisville and Chicago multiple times a year for over 10 years now. Just did it today actually, and that last stretch once you get past Lafayette is a killer. Driving through Illinois is just as bad. Flat and featureless, unless you consider corn a feature.

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Raku posted:

Peyton Manning has graduated since then

That's why he said win a National Championship.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

MindlessHavok posted:

Can't really say it better than Notorious did but it'll be an entirely different game than last year. I'm not expecting UT to blow them away but Dobbs is a completely different QB than Worley and the addition of Alvin Kamara changes the run game a lot. Hurd will be the starter instead of Lane (even though Lane got less carries last year, he was the starter, Hurd didn't play much in the beginning of the game).

Oklahoma and UT had opposite storylines last year. UT faltered at the beginning of the year and got stronger/better as the year went on. The opposite happened with Oklahoma.

I'm not going to hold my breath just yet but if I'm being optimistic I think it'll be a close game.

I'm going to keep saying it until I'm obviously wrong, and then immediately act like I never did but... Tenn will win the east either coming this season or next.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Scarf posted:

I'm going to keep saying it until I'm obviously wrong, and then immediately act like I never did but... Tenn will win the east either coming this season or next.

They are for sure on the rise. Butch has his players buying in and you can tell. It is just a matter of time for things to seriously click for them.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Scarf posted:

I think next year is more likely than this year especially depending on who we draw in the west other than Alabama. Right now we're basically trading Oklahoma for Virginia Tech. Yes, I'm stating the obvious - Easier Schedule, better chance of winning.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
DT Trey Lealaimatafao has been dismissed from LSU.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
Ondre Pipkins may wind up at Kansas, Missouri, or Texas Tech for his redshirt year and his final year of eligibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

kayakyakr posted:

Ondre Pipkins may wind up at Kansas, Missouri, or Texas Tech for his redshirt year and his final year of eligibility.

Oh this is the guy Harbaugh pressured to quit? Does that mean he isn't particularly good, or maybe he just wasn't a scheme fit for some reason?

• Locked thread