Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Why running 25 or 30 amps through the blower switch is a piss poor idea that all manufacturers do anyways because it saves them 75 cents on a relay, socket, and some terminals:

From my 2000 forester.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh blower fan circuits gently caress them all.

I love it when the fan or transistor connectors overheat and melt and fuse to other plastic things in the surrounding area.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
It could be Chevy, who used a properly-sized and rated resistor, but then under-specced the wire.

That's what the wiring in my truck looked like, only with more scorch marks.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
96-down XJs are known for blower motor switch and harness/connector failures just like that as well.

No one wants to do it right because it costs money. So they all run loving 12ga wire to the switch on the dash and use a cheapass switch, instead of 10ga wire and relays right by the resistor pack and blower with small signal control wiring going to the dash.

The switch had actually melted itself into the housing of the HVAC cluster so I had to replace that too instead of just the switch. Which involved dealing with the 3 push/pull blend door actuation cables. It had also melted itself to the blower switch connector on the harness but not too badly so I trimmed the melted-on chunks off and plugged the new one in.

I'd been smelling a funny electrical burning smell for a while, then the blower started flaking out occasionally and the dash was hot to the touch on the last drive before I fixed it. If the switch hadn't been jammed in that position (the contact sank into the melted plastic and the wiper jammed on it) I would have turned it off, but I am fed up enough with that car that I just checked to make sure fire/theft was on my insurance and kept driving it toward the JY to get a new switch.

kastein fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Jun 29, 2015

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Even after a teardown and cleaning, the headlight switch in my Delta 88 would get plastic-softeningly hot. When I ran a relay to the headlights from the switch instead, the lights got noticeably brighter, and the switch was no longer counteracting my A/C.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Horrible mechanic failures: pressing out a wheel bearing and didn't know it was twisting off center until the press started hitting resistance, let the tension off and took a spring loaded hub square in the dick.

Time for a name change, then?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I think that the name is more appropriate now more than ever.

Savington
Apr 9, 2007
I'm not Stinkmeister, this title is here so waar can tell the difference between Stinkmeister and myself in mafia games.

sharkytm posted:

It could be Chevy, who used a properly-sized and rated resistor, but then under-specced the wire.

By ~2003, they had gotten the wire size right, but the connector and resistor melts :v:

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Jeherrin posted:

Time for a name change, then?

14 inch dick bruise

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Savington posted:

By ~2003, they had gotten the wire size right, but the connector and resistor melts :v:

Ford managed to get it right all the way up to the terminals on the blower motor so it just melts there :q:

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Ă¢Ñ€Ă¸ ĂÂżĂÂľĂ»Ă¾ÑÂĂºø,
трø ĂÂżĂÂľ трø ĂÂżĂÂľĂ»Ă¾ÑÂĂºø
Every shop ive ever worked at had spring compressors and presses that were/are absolute deathtraps.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 29, 2015

ACEofsnett
Feb 19, 2007

FILTHY CASUAL | CONSOLE PEASANT

kastein posted:

I think my favorite Toyota cooling system contraption is the 3VZ-E water neck.

Yeah so it has a timing belt idler pulley MOUNTED AROUND IT, what could possibly go wrong?
Note the two tiny fasteners (they use a threaded stud and a nut, too) that go into it to hold the next piece on. Those would never ever seize into a cast part and snap off, necessitating replacement of the water neck, necessitating loving with the timing over what started as a simple cooling system repair, now would they? :allears:

I'm doing my (last replaced in 1997) timing belt in a few weeks. The timing kit comes with the water neck. I also ordered a set of NPT to BSPT adapters, because as you know all my gauge senders stopped working for no reason, so I'm just threading in electric senders and slapping a few gauges onto the dashboard that I have lying around the shop. Of course, Toyota uses BSPT because reasons. gently caress Toyota. My 8 years of Toyota ownership have been one long mechanical failure.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Hey remember that jeep 5.9? Customer complaint after heads done, there was a cloud click noise, the check engine light came on, and it stalled. Pulled codes and found output speed sensor code for the transmission. Figure the sensor went bad, pulled it to replace, and

Where did the end of the sensor go? Where did the metal chunks on the magnet come from? :(

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

sharkytm posted:

Oh, uh, hmm. I wonder if this is something I have to worry about. I've got an 02 Silverado and the HVAC control panel has always felt quite a bit warmer than it should..

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is that a PT Cruiser in the background with blue flames on the side?

:ughh:

You did that on purpose, didn't you?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
All I see us an empty bay in the background. I don't see a PT Cruiser with flames on it in for an air conditioning diagnostic that pats a half hour to figure out exactly why it keeps blasting r134 out the overpressure release valve. Where do you see that?

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Hey remember that jeep 5.9?

This is going exactly like my 5.9. Everything is trash. Pull the pan and find your Chia pet magnet with the band strut laying somewhere else. Does it still drive sans second gear?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Did someone say “flames”?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Of course its a Chrysler product.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

Platystemon posted:

holy poo poo

its so hot in here

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DefaultPeanut posted:

This is going exactly like my 5.9. Everything is trash. Pull the pan and find your Chia pet magnet with the band strut laying somewhere else. Does it still drive sans second gear?

Well it's even better than that. When I finished the head job, the upper hose blew because the customer declined hoses and with all the leaks plugged it didn't even last till the thermostat opened. So I had to pull the alternator back out because I like an idiot positioned the hose clamp behind it. After that was fixed I fired it back up and the AC line blew open and now I can't get it to work and it's just this loving g nightmare cluster gently caress and now the customer wants the AC fixed even though it wasn't really working when it came in, and declined dropping the pan.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

corn in the fridge posted:

holy poo poo

its so hot in here

piiiissss

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Jeep started flashing a COOLANT SENSOR BAD error message when I backed it out which its never done beforem

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Arrath posted:

Oh, uh, hmm. I wonder if this is something I have to worry about. I've got an 02 Silverado and the HVAC control panel has always felt quite a bit warmer than it should..

Nah, this is located under the passenger's dash, by the blower. The heat from the HVAC panel is the loving incandescent bulbs that they used... in 2004. And they are soldered to the PCB, and you have to pull the temperature sliders off, which usually rips the rheostat off the board too. YAY!!!

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Jeep started flashing a COOLANT SENSOR BAD error message when I backed it out which its never done beforem

That's a super common one and has to do with the display itself (at least in my case). I replaced the sensor and chased the wire all the way back through the harness. Only to find out that it is super common for the solders on the display board to crack and momentarily bring up that warning because it can't 'see' the sensor for a split second. Mine would randomly display that and a warning chime while I was driving. Bumps normally set it off. Just Empty Everyone's Pocket.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

I've worked on three PT Cruisers owned by family and friends over the years that all had the exact same problem of the radiator fan motor "low/AC" speed winding burning out. When that happens and AC or defrost is turned on but the coolant temp is low enough not to trigger the "high" fan speed and the car is not moving (no airflow over the condenser) the AC compressor just starts pumping away until the pressures in the system skyrocket and bog the engine down. If the car is moving or the coolant hot enough to trigger the fan high speed everything works normally. You would think the high pressure switch would cut it off but apparently not.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

ACEofsnett posted:

I'm doing my (last replaced in 1997) timing belt in a few weeks. The timing kit comes with the water neck. I also ordered a set of NPT to BSPT adapters, because as you know all my gauge senders stopped working for no reason, so I'm just threading in electric senders and slapping a few gauges onto the dashboard that I have lying around the shop. Of course, Toyota uses BSPT because reasons. gently caress Toyota. My 8 years of Toyota ownership have been one long mechanical failure.

That truck has been kicking you in the balls for way too long. NFI what's up with the tach but at least we proved the gauges in the cluster work... leaving the ??????????????? disaster of a factory harness and the sender as suspects. I couldn't believe it when there were 3 or 4 temp sensors all in a row hidden behind the upper intake manifold and NONE of the toyota forums agreed on which was which. gently caress it, bypass it all.

14, at least they put the alt in a semi convenient place on smallblock mopars, I'd rather do one of those than the one on a 4.0L or some of the FWD cars where they jam that poo poo up in the engine/transaxle's grundular region.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Customer just decided they want to open the pan :unsmigghh:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Well now you get to see the inside of a 46RE in its natural state :haw:

(I think those used a 46RE anyways...)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
So is this the season finale of 14 INCH DETECTIVE? Can't wait for that cliffhanger ending.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?

kastein posted:

Well now you get to see the inside of a 46RE in its natural state :haw:

(I think those used a 46RE anyways...)

Dooo it dooo it

They are pretty drat simple things, kinda like a carburetor. Just, heavier. I rebuilt the one in mine when I was 20 and it's still going 50000 km later.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A garage floor so clean you could eat off it!

Or not.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Water under the fridge. The floor was cleaner than the transmission.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Platystemon posted:

A long time ago (like 17 years ago), I pulled up next to someone at a red light. I think they were in a K5 Blazer? Anyway, they stalled. They started cranking, and liquid flames started pouring out from around the firewall. I honked and told him "DUDE YOUR loving TRUCK IS ON FIRE!", he just nodded and kept cranking until it started, then hauled some serious rear end. With flames licking the underside; it looked a lot like that Durango once he got moving.

I don't know if he thought that getting it up to 70 mph on a 35 mph road would blow out the fire or what, but it was pretty obvious he'd pissed off the fuel system gods.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Could have been an ATF leak, too, ATF burns real well when it hits a hot catcon. I put a pinhole leak in a trans cooler line back in 2011 or so and I'm pretty sure I beat the NASCAR pit crew response time jumping out with my fire extinguisher when one of my wheeling buddies noted that I was "shooting fire" every time I tried to make it up an obstacle offroading.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
A couple weeks after our store opened, someone broke down out in front of the store in an amazing cloud of smoke and green atf flames from under the car. One of my co-workers is a full time firefighter and ran to check on the driver while the boss called the fire department. When my coworker informed her that her car was on fire and the fire department on the way, she decided the best course of action was to remain in the burning vehicle that is slowly filling with smoke until they showed up. Obviously our resident firefighter was having none of this and spent several minutes convincing her to get out. Afterwards, her father or grandfather gets there and comes in and asks where our atf is so he can put some in the car and drive it off. It apparently took them 10 minutes to convince him that this was a bad idea. :smithicide:

SilentW
Apr 3, 2009

my It dept hgere is fucking clwonshoes, and as someone hwo used to do IT for 9 years it pains me to see them fbe so terriuble

kastein posted:

Could have been an ATF leak, too, ATF burns real well when it hits a hot catcon. I put a pinhole leak in a trans cooler line back in 2011 or so and I'm pretty sure I beat the NASCAR pit crew response time jumping out with my fire extinguisher when one of my wheeling buddies noted that I was "shooting fire" every time I tried to make it up an obstacle offroading.

I did this once in the Mojave in a 99 Jeep Wrangler. We'd been driving all day, and it had been over 100F for ~8 hours, and we'd (unbeknownst to us) developed a "small" ATF leak.
So here we are, driving along a back road in the heart of Death Valley, hours and miles from any civilization, and I smell burning. Not unusual - it's hot, the loving paneling in this thing is practically melting off, what of it? Smell doesn't go away. Engine temp starts rising. Oh dear. That's bad. Slow down, maybe we're overstressing it going 45mph on a dirt road? Nope, temp keeps rising. Burning smell is stronger. Decide a look-see is in order. Stop the Jeep, pop the hood.
Oh, look. No wonder we smelled burning, the engine is on fire. Flames are coming out of the engine compartment.
Is this bad?
Run like a madman to the opposite side of the road and dive into the ditch, regret all life choices ever, pray nothing explodes.

After about 5 minutes in the (hot, searingly hot) ditch, I'm convinced nothing is going to explode, so I go back to the Jeep. Fire's out, that's very odd. There is something dripping from the underside, though... red? My Jeep is literally bleeding. You can imagine how this seemed to a slightly dehydrated, wild-eyed man in the middle of the desert - I felt like I was in a loving Stephen King novel at this point.
After some rehydration, I call some friends on the radio - "Uh yeah my Jeep caught fire and it's bleeding... No, I can still drive it, it's fine."
I don't know how I got back to Furnace Creek without exploding. The mechanic said that the underside of the front end was literally caked in burnt/melted ATF, and he doesn't know how it ever stopped burning, or how the thing kept shifting.
That Jeep is still with me today, quite happy and running well. What's a little engine fire between friends?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

tater_salad posted:

I think that the name is more appropriate now more than ever.

Especially if you take the "B" out

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Platystemon posted:

Seen today in the parking lot of a Post Office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
D'aww, they even burn like real cars. :allears: