Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

OhsH posted:

Ancetdotes in response to anectdotes is p lol

agreed the proper response is for everybody to shut up and buy all the god drat racing games including an xbox one and forza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

ethanol posted:

agreed the proper response is for everybody to shut up and buy all the god drat racing games including an xbox one and forza

Hmmmmm

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

OhsH posted:

Hmmmmm

I would cream my jeans to race you in forza this september buddy

SanitysEdge
Jul 28, 2005

Hammer Floyd posted:

The Caterham is terrible.

It's a loving rollerskate on ice and the suicidal\homicidal AI means driving this fucker is an exercise in sadism.

Edit: Seriously, it is impossible to go around that top corner of Ourborn Park without going sideways. I've tried to go around it in first, but since it's on the crest of a hill, when you're coming down the hill, the Caterham just lifts off and 'round you go.

For the caterham classic try setting the front toe to 0 degrees, the front springs to max, the rear springs to one less than max, and all the tire pressures to 1 bar, also dont forget to set Fy to 0 in the cars FFB settings and set an appropriate fuel load. This makes the car far more stable, the thing has way too much toe out stock and with the tires at 1.3 bar you cant get heat into them. I ran a 1:14.9 on Oulton Park Fosters with this setup.

The Mclaren F1 is great too, just drop the rear pressures to 2 bar, dump a bunch of fuel, and set the FFB Fy to 0 - its a blast to drive on California highway 1.

Edit: just posted a 1:14.509 on the leaderboards on oulton park fosters in the caterham classic with that setup, #12 for the car :whatup:
now if they can fix the setup saving bug again...

SanitysEdge fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jun 29, 2015

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

ethanol posted:

I would cream my jeans to race you in forza this september buddy

I havean idea, ill buy you a dfgt, you buy mean xbone and a wheel.tia

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

ethanol posted:

:perfect:

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

ethanol posted:

Why would you buy an xbox one when you can just wait for them to announce forza on pc at gamescom.

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

hopterque posted:

Why would you buy an xbox one when you can just wait for them to announce forza on pc at gamescom.

lol if you think this is ever gonna happen

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Microsoft's answer to that is Windows 10 streaming.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

OhsH posted:

I havean idea, ill buy you a dfgt, you buy mean xbone and a wheel.tia

Hmmmm

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

Fayez Butts posted:

lol if you think this is ever gonna happen

Remember my post when the truth is revealed.

Also halo.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

hopterque posted:

Remember my post when the truth is revealed.

Also halo.

what is this... 2004?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ethanol posted:

I really want to do this.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I really want to do this.

seriously do it, there's already a sizable goon community playing *GASP* forza 5 league every week and it's only going to get bigger with forza 6

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ethanol posted:

seriously do it, there's already a sizable goon community playing *GASP* forza 5 league every week and it's only going to get bigger with forza 6

I don't have the money right now to afford it. :( I know for a fact that I badly want Forza 6. Forza 4 is one of my top 5 favorite games. I actually still play it too.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
You'll see, We'll get forza 5 this fall as a surprise announcement with 6 coming to pc 6 months after it's out on xbone.

I mean, realistically Phil Spencer is gonna get up at gamescom and talk about how he loves pc and they're gonna bring more games over from xbone and it's gonna be some indie pile of poo poo nobody cares about, but you've gotta have dreams.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't think Forza will ever be on PC. At best we'll be allowed to stream Forza 6 to Windows 10 from our Xbone. Forza Horizona 2 is one of the first titles to allow this. The rumors we've heard in the past about Forza coming to Windows were almost 100% certain about the Windows 10 streaming.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I don't think Forza will ever be on PC. At best we'll be allowed to stream Forza 6 to Windows 10 from our Xbone. Forza Horizona 2 is one of the first titles to allow this. The rumors we've heard in the past about Forza coming to Windows were almost 100% certain about the Windows 10 streaming.

Streaming works now and you can stream any game. I tried it out but I have no reason to use it right now since i like playing on my tv

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I've decided to make the steam group private now that the influx is over, all members can invite other goons

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I too feel it makes much sense to buy an Xbone and then instead of playing games on it, use it to stream console-only titles to a win 10 machine because really, how bad can input lag be in a driving game anyway????

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The best situation for me would be to have the Xbone streaming to my PC and allow me to use my G25 through the PC to race with.

If that isn't the case for whatever stupid reason, then I will probably pick up a G290 for the Xbone support and race with that on the Xbone and PC.

Forza is quite playable with a controller for sure, especially the improvements they made to the feel in Forza 5 and the new controller vs Forza 4 and the lack of the trigger rumble.

However try turning every assist off in F5 and use a controller and unless you have pinpoint movement control on that tiny stick, you will tankslap the hell out of a faster car like a Z06 or similar. The assist to make a controller work for Racing games is very evident once you get a wheel and feel exactly how a car should feel in a decent racing game.

Once you get a wheel and dial it in so it feels like you are connected to the car, and you allow the force feedback to tell you what the car is doing, its an eye opener and difficult to ever go back. The lack of fidelity a controller gives you is a big difference and playing without assist is just asking for punishment. I have seen some players online that can race drat fast with a controller, but to get there they do go through tires faster because of a lot of the tapping sort of steering they use. Its incredible seeing the times they put down, but in any extended race the tire wear eats them alive.

Also the Xbone is progressively getting better as a console, and the Streaming bit should be pretty neat. PC streaming to my Shield and such is pretty low on latency so going one way or the other, especially wired, should be a piece of cake.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I do weekly goon racing in forza 5 in very fast cars with no assists and its not an issue. You just need to not use simulation steering mode (meant for wheels) with the controller. If they made this more clear ingame it would be a step in the right direction.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

MattD1zzl3 posted:

I do weekly goon racing in forza 5 in very fast cars with no assists and its not an issue. You just need to not use simulation steering mode (meant for wheels) with the controller. If they made this more clear ingame it would be a step in the right direction.

The Simulation mode is final piece of true no assist mode in Forza. Using the normal mode has plenty of steering assist built in which is needed for controllers. (which stops the Tank Slapping I mentioned). It's not the end of the world, but it still goes a long way to make the game playable, but makes the cars still feel more arcade than sim. I do look forward to playing Forza with a wheel and seeing how it compares to PCARS. Even Forza 4 was a vast improvement on GT5 from years ago with Sound alone letting you hear what the car is doing. Can anyone with a Fanatec compare Forza to Pcars in their experience and how the Physics feel?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'll smash my XboxOne with a sledge hammer if the Forza games come to PC.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

The Simulation mode is final piece of true no assist mode in Forza. Using the normal mode has plenty of steering assist built in which is needed for controllers. (which stops the Tank Slapping I mentioned). It's not the end of the world, but it still goes a long way to make the game playable, but makes the cars still feel more arcade than sim. I do look forward to playing Forza with a wheel and seeing how it compares to PCARS. Even Forza 4 was a vast improvement on GT5 from years ago with Sound alone letting you hear what the car is doing. Can anyone with a Fanatec compare Forza to Pcars in their experience and how the Physics feel?

I still don't notice the difference when comparing sim steering vs normal in game. Maybe I am just dumb

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm done with driving sims on consoles, Forza is a pretty great game but I'm kind of sick of all the consoles being unable to have any kind of cross-compatibility with wheel sets. Means you gotta buy a new wheel for every console and even different generations from the same manufacturer.

With USB as a thing that exists on basically everything on the planet, there's no reason to break compatibility except to squeeze some extra dollars out of customers.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

xzzy posted:

I'm done with driving sims on consoles, Forza is a pretty great game but I'm kind of sick of all the consoles being unable to have any kind of cross-compatibility with wheel sets. Means you gotta buy a new wheel for every console and even different generations from the same manufacturer.

With USB as a thing that exists on basically everything on the planet, there's no reason to break compatibility except to squeeze some extra dollars out of customers.

This is whats been biting me. Why the hell, Microsoft, with the X360 and now the current crop of PC x86 based Consoles, can't they support universal USB devices without some sort of BS DRM. Who the hell wants to buy a new wheel for each generation of console, and what if they owned multiple consoles?

It's friggin stupid.

PC > * and will continue I suppose. They are getting to be more Console Like these days with the ease of making powerful HTPC's or now Streaming to your TV for a Console Like experience at least.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

This is whats been biting me. Why the hell, Microsoft, with the X360 and now the current crop of PC x86 based Consoles, can't they support universal USB devices without some sort of BS DRM. Who the hell wants to buy a new wheel for each generation of console, and what if they owned multiple consoles?

It's friggin stupid.

PC > * and will continue I suppose. They are getting to be more Console Like these days with the ease of making powerful HTPC's or now Streaming to your TV for a Console Like experience at least.

It seems like its the only reason most of the thread hasn't in fact gotten an xbone. Im going to write a stern letter to microsoft about this

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What amuses me is Microsoft got it right the first time.. the first xbox was pure usb and basically everything on the console could be used on a PC once you adapted their plug to a normal USB connector. You plug one of those duke controllers into a Windows box and it shows up without installing any drivers.

Then they're like "aww gently caress no that can't stand, we gotta make this poo poo proprietary."

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Possibly because like most consoles they were losing money on the hardware and making it up on software licensing and people like me that have 2 xbox controllers and no xbox are costing them money.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

EdEddnEddy posted:

It's friggin stupid.

Yeah, that kills me, too. We're considering a Bone at the end of the summer, so do I a.) keep using my dying Sidewinder wheel and then shell out for another one that works with the Bone, or b.) skip a wheel on the Bone entirely and just get one for PC? And there's no way in hell I'm paying $400 for a controller. It just kills me that there's no decent middle ground between controller and wheel. I'd order a G27 tonight if the Bone would support it, but that's not going to happen. :bahgawd:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Nostratic posted:

Yeah, that kills me, too. We're considering a Bone at the end of the summer, so do I a.) keep using my dying Sidewinder wheel and then shell out for another one that works with the Bone, or b.) skip a wheel on the Bone entirely and just get one for PC? And there's no way in hell I'm paying $400 for a controller. It just kills me that there's no decent middle ground between controller and wheel. I'd order a G27 tonight if the Bone would support it, but that's not going to happen. :bahgawd:

What pisses me off is the PS3 got it right with all the wheels that were around at the time, it supported.

Now the PS4 and XBone have proprietary crap so Logitechs answer is hey, get a G29 For PS4, or a G290 for the Xbone. WTF!? They both work with PC and possibly the PS3 which is good if you don't have a G25/27 yet, but it still sucks they can't just make one that works with both with swappable wheels for the Proprietary buttons, but ahh that would be way to easy now wouldn't it.

If a company came out with 1 full wheel set that was high quality like a G27, Firmware upgradeable, and compatible with all consoles past and present, even if it was $700 I would pick one up and they would never have to "update it" because as long as the drat thing was supported and maybe even a bit modular for wheels and such, the drat thing would sell like hotcakes until everyone got one.

Instead they make still drat nice wheels, but they only work with certain platforms and when a new one comes out (besides PC) you are stuck with a bunch of crap to sit around the house or sell on craigslist. Talk about burning the Console crowd. So you sell even less units because few people want multiple wheels lying around their place.

And it's all for some sort of DRM/Anti Hacking/Cheating protection which sure as hell isn't doing that.

:argh: whatever. I race mostly on the PC, does anyone that has toyed with the Xbone streaming to PC know if they can use their wheel through the PC or not?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
A bloo a loving bloo, my sega genesis controllers don't work on my NES what the gently caress

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

A bloo a loving bloo, my sega genesis controllers don't work on my NES what the gently caress

loving lmao

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

OhsH posted:

loving lmao

I mean my keyboard works on every pc but i gotta buy a keyboard for my consoles seperate??

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Moral of the story stop playing fuxking vonsole racers ya ficking bads

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Real moral of the story is don't get too attached to your fake plastic steering wheel at the $200 price point, you ain't future proofed cuz you spent half a month's worth of car payment on a fake plastic steering wheel, times change, hardware changes, and someday the universe will expire from heat death and you'll be like 'b-b-but I spent $210 on a plastic steering whee....zzztcrshspsshs"

Not pictured: Fanatec clubsport V2 base + $400 xbone-only rim

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
I've never had a car payment, and i'm using the $100 wheel i bought on craigslist in 2010. Works great.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Real moral of the story is don't get too attached to your fake plastic steering wheel at the $200 price point, you ain't future proofed cuz you spent half a month's worth of car payment on a fake plastic steering wheel, times change, hardware changes, and someday the universe will expire from heat death and you'll be like 'b-b-but I spent $210 on a plastic steering whee....zzztcrshspsshs"

Not pictured: Fanatec clubsport V2 base + $400 xbone-only rim

im the controller using cat wondering what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
My poo poo will last until it breaks or i upgrade, and yet i dont have to worry about certain games not being able to use a wheel as an option because loving lmao pc supremacy.

• Locked thread