Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

skittles doesn't have blue
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

It was not posting pictures in the pictures thread.

The red car is a bomb. The photo was taken seconds before detonation, and the camera was found in the rubble.

This is the 1998 Omagh bomb, my home town.

And below is from a nearby town with a scummy story due to the above.

Sinn Fein (the anti-british, IRA political party) went to a local catholic priest and and asked for some church land that was high on a hill and looked out over the town to build a monument.
They said it would be for the Omagh bomb victims, and the priest agreed but only if it had both Catholic and Protestant victims mentioned on it.
And the town did have both sides who died in the bomb.
Sinn Fein agreed, so the land was sold to them.

Then they constructed the below, and told the catholic priest to gently caress off.

For those who do not know, Bobby Sands was a IRA hunger striker from the 80s.

Even as am ex-catholic myself, Sinn Fein are loving scum

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 28, 2015

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

"What the gently caress are externalities!?" - Every Libertarian Ever

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I didn't know where to post this, but this is a very interesting interview by the German weekly DIE ZEIT with a former banker working in Switzerland who gave the data of German tax evaders to the German authorities. I translated it into English - it's probably a horrible translation (it's been a long day and it's already quite late over here) so sorry for that.

quote:

DIE ZEIT: Mr Otte, how did you get the idea to turn tax evaders in to the German treasury?

Lutz Otte: In my case it all began on the golf course. I've been golfing with some friends for many years, we meet at tournaments in Germany and Switzerland. One of those friends was a retired tax fraud investigator.

ZEIT: You lived in Switzerland at that time.

Otte: Yes. Back then, I worked for UBS in the IT department. This retired investigator then asked me whether I had the opportunity to get my hands on the data.

ZEIT: When did this happen?

Otte: In 2007.

ZEIT: What did you say?

Otte: I said: „Forget it!“. UBS is one of the world's largest banks, their technology is perfectly up-to-date. Everything's protected. But then UBS fired lots of people during the recession, including me. I got another job at the Julius Bär bank afterwards, and there I quickly realised that they were working with very old software. They had problems with IT security which I even mentioned when talking to the management, but they ignored me. Then, in 2011, I met the investigator again at a golfing tournament in Switzerland, and he asked me: „Aren't you working at Julius Bär now? How about now?“

ZEIT: What was your reaction?

Otte: I said: Theoretically yes, but where should I begin? Then he explained everything to me, and I thought it to be quite exciting.

ZEIT: Did you already talk about money back then?

Otte: At once.

ZEIT: Did he start the negotiations or did you?

Otte: He said that there would be negotiations about the final sum, but on average I could expect to be paid 10-12,000€ per relevant data set, which came out as quite a tidy sum in my head.

ZEIT: What was your estimate?

Otte: I didn't know how many records I would be able to obtain, of course. But I thought that three to four million Euros should be possible for me – you could easily live well for 20 years on that.

ZEIT: Did your contact demand a percentage as well?

Otte: He said: When I am to be the middleman, I want to get something out of it, too.

ZEIT: What did you say to that?

Otte: I work in the financial sector, to me that's perfectly normal. When you're the middleman to a deal, you can expect a commission.

ZEIT: So all of that was merely a business deal to you?

Otte: I never saw it differently. It was a risky deal, we had settled on the price. It didn't work perfectly well...

ZEIT: …you were arrested and spent some time in prison...

Otte: ...but that didn't change anything. That's why I don't claim to be a whistleblower or anything.

ZEIT: What happened next?

Otte: First, my business partners wanted to see how interesting my data was. They wanted to know whether the adresses were up to date and how much money had been hidden from them. I sent them 20 data sets: names, account numbers, date of the account opening, account balance, address of the customer.

ZEIT: German names?

Otte: Names from all over Germany. After four weeks I was contacted again, they were quite pleased. Another test: Now I received 100 account numbers, and was supposed to find out the initials of the holders' names. I did that as well, and after three weeks they told me: Everything's in order, we want all of it. And then it began.

ZEIT: You hadn't received any payment until then?

Otte: No, they had insisted on that.

ZEIT: You worked exclusively with your contact in Berlin?

Otte: Yes. In my case the regional tax office in Münster was responsible, but I never had any contact with them, not a single word.

ZEIT: How did you and your contact communicate?

Otte: By phone.

ZEIT: Weren't you afraid of your calls being intercepted?

Otte: No. You can buy a mobile for five Euro that is activated and registered under whatever name. I did just that and went across the German border as well for all our phonecalls, so that I would be calling within the German network.

ZEIT: How many data sets did you provide?

Otte: All in all I had about 18,000 German adresses. But it turned out that the authorities weren't interested in most of them. They told me that they didn't intend to prosecute anyone with less than 100,000€ in the account, as it would have been too much effort.

ZEIT: How many sets remained?

Otte: About 2,700 altogether.

ZEIT: Comprising how much money?

Otte: A substantial sum, almost two and a half billion Euros.

ZEIT: And after that?

Otte: We started haggling like on a bazaar.

ZEIT: Who made the first offer?

Otte: I demanded three million.

ZEIT: And what did the tax office reply?

Otte: They offered me 800,000 instead. Eventually we compromised on 1.1 million Euros.

ZEIT: That's not exactly in the middle.

Otte: That's right. The problem was that I already had stolen the data and could be jailed for that. Not exactly the ideal position to negotiate from.

ZEIT: How did you steal the data?

Otte: I simply downloaded it off one of the mainframe computers which I used to work on. You could simply copy the data onto your PC and open it in Excel. I then disassembled the files in many smaller ones and saved them as image files for camouflage. I sent those „pictures“ then to my private e-mail account.

ZEIT: Didn't this come off as suspicious to your colleagues?

Otte: No, I used to constantly send private pictures as mails.

ZEIT: How many mails did you send?

Otte: Eight or nine, not only with data from those 2,700 Germans, but also from 1,700 Brits, about 2,000 Frenchmen, 2,500 Italians, 700 Dutch, 200 Greeks, a couple hundred Austrians and also a couple hundred Spaniards.

ZEIT: Did you send those as well?

Otte: No. German authorities are only interested in Germans.

ZEIT: Did you hope to reach a deal with other countries as well?

Otte: Well, yes, that was the idea. I thought that after the Germans didn't pay as well as I had liked, I should try to compensate by dealing with other countries. It was quite interesting to look at the various data sets, by the way. The 200 Greek account holders had about as much money in their accounts as 2,700 Germans, for example.

ZEIT: Do you still have the data?

Otte: An exciting question which I won't answer.

ZEIT: What did you do then with the data? Burn it onto a CD?

Otte: Many people think that, but no. I simply transferred the files onto a SIM card.

ZEIT: How did this card reach your contact?

Otte: I mailed it to him. I sent him the first 200 adresses, and soon after that I received my first payment. I went to Berlin and got 200,000€.

ZEIT: Cash?

Otte: Of course, I had insisted on that from the very beginning.

ZEIT: What did the authorities say?

Otte: They said that it wasn't possible. I simply replied: No cash, no deal. It turned out to be not a problem at all after that.

ZEIT: How did the handover go down?

Otte: The tax office had transferred the money on my contact's account in Berlin, and he withdrew it all in cash. He had opened up an entirely new account for that, and the bank had been assured by the tax office that everything was in order. He then stuffed the money into a briefcase and gave it to me in a hotel room in the outskirts of Berlin. He had already deducted his commission.

ZEIT: How much did he get?

Otte: 15 percent.

ZEIT: Did you count the money?

Otte: Absolutely, why should I trust anybody in this?

ZEIT: And this was the procedure for the second transaction as well?

Otte: Yes. That time we met near to the main station. He gave me the remaining 900,000€, minus the taxes which the tax office had already kept for itself. The second briefcase was quite a bit larger.

ZEIT: You were taxed on that money?

Otte: Of course.

ZEIT: And you also had to pay your contact after being taxed?

Otte: Yes.

ZEIT: What did you do with all that money?

Otte: I stashed it in a safe place.

ZEIT: What is a safe place?

Otte: There are places which aren't controlled either by banks or the authorities.

ZEIT: Deposit boxes?

Otte: Exactly. Not at banks or train stations. There are companies offering exactly what I needed, but they don't advertise themselves. You have to know the right people.

ZEIT: How do you get to know them?

Otte: Simply by meeting a lot of people. I always did, and I knew that such companies exist.

ZEIT: Did you hide the money in Berlin?

Otte: No, the deposit box was in Göttingen.

ZEIT: How does it feel, going to Göttingen with a briefcase stuffed with money?

Otte: You feel a bit like Scrooge McDuck. The 50€ bills are especially impressive, because they are so large. Not too bad.

ZEIT: Didn't you get nervous? You just had committed a crime, after all.

Otte: I knew that, but at the time this wasn't too much of a concern. I simply tried to plan my move out of Switzerland without attracting attention.

ZEIT: Did you ever wonder whether you were doing the right thing?

Otte: There was no Right or Wrong. I didn't see it that way, to me it was a business deal, like many others before. I knew the risks.

ZEIT: So you returned to Switzerland.

Otte: Yes, with 150,000€ in cash.

ZEIT: And simply resumed your work?

Otte: Yes.

ZEIT: Why?

Otte: Well, the problem was: How should I tell my wife where all this money came from?

ZEIT: She didn't know?

Otte: She knew nothing, I wanted to keep her out of all that. I told her that I had won the money while gambling online. We wanted to go to Germany, but I was too slow in actually acting on that. I simply went to work every day, until it happened.

ZEIT: They rang at your doorbell and arrested you?

Otte: No, they arrested me during work, not too long after I had sold the data. The German tax investigators had already used my data to start prosecuting lots of people, who in turn complained at Julius Bär – they had invested their money there in order to evade the German authorities, after all. The bank didn't need long to find out that I must have been the informant. I was called into the manager's office where six police officers already awaited me.

ZEIT. How did they remove you from the premises?

Otte: Very discreetly, through a backdoor. They went to my house next, trying to find the backup data. They didn't find it, though.

ZEIT: Where did you hide it?

Otte: I had taped it to the underside of a drawer in my wardrobe.

ZEIT: That's a pretty boring hiding place.

Otte: Extremely boring. They were searching for CDs like madmen, taking all of my CDs with them. They never found the SIM card.

ZEIT: You were sent to prison next, right?

Otte: The Zürich police prison, a two-man cell where I spent a week. I was questioned over and over again. The most important piece of advice my lawyer gave me was that as the accused I was allowed to lie. Witnesses can't lie, I could. They only had to prove that I had been lying.

ZEIT: Did you lie?

Otte: Of course.

ZEIT: What did the Swiss authorities want to know?

Otte: Where the money was hidden. I told them that I had paid off my tax debts in Germany with it – utterly untrue, but a wonderful explanation. They broke off the search for the money after that.

ZEIT: Did they know about the amount?

Otte: I even claimed that the commission had been 20% instead of 15, to make the remaining sum sound more believable.

ZEIT: So they questioned you and investigated the matter, and finally it came to court?

Otte: I tried to be cooperative and eventually even told them where the backup data was. I was sentenced to 18 months.

ZEIT: You said that in your eyes this was merely a business deal. Do you understand the Swiss position that the country has a business model which is being destroyed by people like you?

Otte: Yes, I understand that very well. It's been a highly successful business model for many years.

ZEIT: Is it justified to break the law in order to reach a good deal?

Otte: This happens every day.

ZEIT: You could justify ordering a hit on someone with that.

Otte: I wouldn't do that. But there are obviously people who offer their services as hitmen and people who take them on on their offers. That's how it works. I worked with banks a lot, and I don't want to deny that morality is important in your private life. It has no place in business, though.

ZEIT: Did the fact that your victims had broken the law themselves make it easier for you?

Otte: Yes. The German state probably has earned several hundred million Euros in tax money due to my data. I wouldn't have been able to commit that particular crime when everybody would have followed the law and payed his taxes. Therefore, what I did wasn't a crime to Germans, even though it was to the Swiss. For me it was a deal.

ZEIT: You wouldn't have done it without payment?

Otte: No, and that is why I can't claim to be a hero.

ZEIT: Do your friends still play golf?

Otte: I think so, but not with me.

ZEIT: Because they don't want you or you don't want them?

Otte: I cut all ties with this episode of my life.

ZEIT: Where do you live now?

Otte: In Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.

ZEIT: Did you pick up the remaining money?

Otte: Money never vanishes, it's just that sometimes another person has it.

ZEIT: So you did pick it up?

Otte: As I said: Money never vanishes.

ZEIT: Your lawyer advised you to lie during interrogations. Did you lie during that interview as well?

Otte: No. But do you know the princible of partial truth? You tell as much of the truth as you need and omit the rest.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Water cannons attack Istanbul pride parade

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

Is this shopped?

Also, FACISM IN SPACE.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
:downsrim:

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmfRMeU6pQ8

Didn't James Dobson claim Spongebob is gay propaganda.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

happyhippy posted:

Sinn Fein (the anti-british, IRA political party) went to a local catholic priest and and asked for some church land that was high on a hill and looked out over the town to build a monument.
They said it would be for the Omagh bomb victims, and the priest agreed but only if it had both Catholic and Protestant victims mentioned on it.

Then they constructed the below, and told the catholic priest to gently caress off.

They are scum because they lied to a liar, who represented an organisation who probably stole the land? Or, does this post not contain the reason they are scum?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

klen dool posted:

They are scum because they lied to a liar, who represented an organisation who probably stole the land? Or, does this post not contain the reason they are scum?

Woah, so edgy! :rolleyes:

Appears on the first page of results when googlng for "edgy", no idea why.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

System Metternich posted:

It's from a Portlandia skit about art students learning to make edgy paintings.

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

happyhippy posted:

My grandma had a framed print of this in her house. She was born in Chicago. Kept her house full of Irish kitsch.

Plastic paddy like this all over the place, but the occasional picture of some provo in a balaclava or whatevs

Fun lady.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

[img]http://i.imgur.com/stWCO0l.jpg[/jpg]

Yet another black church. This time in nashville. Kerosene molotov cocktails thrown through the window.

Proust Malone fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 29, 2015

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Also, some others posted pictures without explanation:

Activist Bree Newsome climbs the flagpole in front of the South Carolina statehouse and removes the confederate flag.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Ron Jeremy posted:

Yet another black church. This time in nashville. Kerosene molotov cocktails thrown through the window.

CNN isn't sure if it is a hate crime or not.

Agrajag fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 29, 2015

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

http://www.ijreview.com/2015/06/354...campaign=buffer

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Gonna need an Allahu Akbar edit of that, stat

And something more political: The new Danish cabinet, including a guy who thinks "negro" is a fine word and another guy who thinks "those people" (second generation middle eastern immigrants) should stay out of movie theaters because they're noisy:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BonHair posted:

And something more political: The new Danish cabinet, including a guy who thinks "negro" is a fine word and another guy who thinks "those people" (second generation middle eastern immigrants) should stay out of movie theaters because they're noisy:

that lady is wearing the ISIS flag as a dress!!!!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mans posted:

that lady is wearing the ISIS flag as a dress!!!!!!

Post a picture.

BonHair posted:

Looks like your average cabinet. AKA they look like sociopaths.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

BonHair posted:

How long can that government last? They got a bare sliver of a majority and the second party in it barley is smaller then the leading party.

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
Some of my pics from Chicago's Pride Parade

So the south loses to the north, then to the gays, then to the british??

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015

Anchor Wanker fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jun 30, 2015

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
What would you know, when the KKK reached some of its heights of popularity Northern chapters would have no positive associations with the flag at all!

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dr. Killjoy posted:

What would you know, when the KKK reached some of its heights of popularity Northern chapters would have no positive associations with the flag at all!

What on Earth are you talking about? Northern racists have no positive associations with the U.S. flag?

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!
All those "the US flag is next!!!" political cartoons are kinda accidentally making a good point.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Finally, the US gets gay married and universal healthcare.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHElzaKkmQY

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.

System Metternich posted:

You didn't like my picture? Clearly, it was merely poor layout - the paper really wasn't referring to the pictured woman as a toxic slag. Or my response? I am not being "edgy" for not respecting the church, its an honest-to-goodness for reals opinion - I am not trying to be cool. I was born this way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

klen dool posted:

You didn't like my picture? Clearly, it was merely poor layout - the paper really wasn't referring to the pictured woman as a toxic slag. Or my response? I am not being "edgy" for not respecting the church, its an honest-to-goodness for reals opinion - I am not trying to be cool. I was born this way.

Long before 'gently caress the police' there was 'gently caress the papists'

• Locked thread