Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The ISU-122s is a Good Tank™.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Soulfucker's Leopard is on track to achieve great things.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

TheFluff posted:

It's my secret to carrying the poo poo out of you guys.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

TheFluff posted:

Your tank skins are disgusting and I hope you burn in hell. (Hellsau screaming at you to get good for all eternity)

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Agrajag posted:

Your tank skins are disgusting and I hope you burn in hell. (Hellsau screaming at you to get good for all eternity)

leftover from the "setting things on fire" missions, I don't really use them but haven't gotten around to upgrading mods lately

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

really disappointed I didn't see aeris impaled on the barrel as I scrolled down

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

TheFluff posted:

leftover from the "setting things on fire" missions, I don't really use them but haven't gotten around to upgrading mods lately

but why not just play tier 6 until you see a kv-1 or kv-1s or kv-3, there is no need for such skins!!

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Control Volume posted:

but why not just play tier 6 until you see a kv-1 or kv-1s or kv-3, there is no need for such skins!!

Because sometimes you shoot a KV in the rear side and get zero to one fires and have to figure out where the fuel tanks are on some non-russian non-chinese tanks.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

against my better judgment i installed this game again, looks like the 12 step program didnt work, anyways have a picture

this is a pretty cool team. i liked this team.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Pubbie TBs (kinda, there was a purple dude from Iran leading and the other players were pretty solid) were fun last night. We won about 2/3 of our games, and I got a good chunk of a tier 8 grind out of the way. It was there that one of the dudes insisted that my little bro's account could get a free rename from WGNA support since they nuked the original (R.I.P. BARACK_THA_SHOCKA_OBAMA!) With that in mind...what the hell should I suggest as a new account name?

Bort Bortles posted:

:vince: That is worse than the 7.5cm L/100 the T7 Panther got like three years ago. The thing was a chaingun but the barrel was longer than the tank. I actually kinda miss the thing...it could pen a lot of poo poo for its tier.

Uh, it still has that gun. It's literally the top gun for the tech tree Panther.

FTFY

mikemelbrooks
Jun 11, 2012

One tough badass

With out you guys to carry me I had to get gud.
http://www.wotstats.org/stats/eu/mikemelbrooks/

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Before arty went up to tier 10, I used to play the grille a bunch and apparently won 60% of games with it. I think I just got really good at counter artillery. Tried the two spg's I had in the garage, hummel and S-51, and they're not particularly fun. Decided to try out the british spgs that everyone loves. I see a ton of the tier 6 fv's around despite them being nerfed at some point.

Holy poo poo the bishop is so much fun. Shoot anything no matter where it hides, rapid reloading to permatrack kv's. I don't see nearly as many bishops as I see FVs but this tank has the same gun a tier lower. I have no problem with relocating to get stuff in range. I keep getting ace tanker and/or being top in my team with experience and damage.

I was really struggling with the other two artillery mentioned, not knowing the best positions to be able to hit most of the map,so is this thing just incredibly overpowered and easy to use?

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
The bishop's only flaw is that it's slow. The FV 304 fixes that, and while the gun isn't as hilariously OP at tier 6 as it is at 5, it's still really goddamn good. Roof armor doesn't really change much as you go up tiers! I'll probably get flak for this but I've had success using the same drat gun at tier 7 in the Crusader SP. Hitting roof armor every 9 seconds tends to do more damage than hitting side and front armor or tracks every 25, even with the smaller caliber shells.

Zanziabar
Oct 31, 2010

Steelion posted:

Using the FV304 gun at Tier 7

God drat it man, stop using the wrong gun on that mediocre piece of poo.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
You can't make me!

Real talk though I've used the bigger gun a bit more lately and while I still think the small gun is more fun to use, the 5.5 inch isn't bad. You just have to aim for softer targets since the shell just doesn't have the flight angle or pen to deal with heavier armor.

E: that reminds me, does fire damage not count for missions? I nailed a black prince twice and briefly set him on fire for ~1100 damage, but didn't get the "do 1000 damage to a heavy tank" mission.

Steelion fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 30, 2015

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Bleremiah posted:

Before arty went up to tier 10, I used to play the grille a bunch and apparently won 60% of games with it. I think I just got really good at counter artillery. Tried the two spg's I had in the garage, hummel and S-51, and they're not particularly fun. Decided to try out the british spgs that everyone loves. I see a ton of the tier 6 fv's around despite them being nerfed at some point.

Holy poo poo the bishop is so much fun. Shoot anything no matter where it hides, rapid reloading to permatrack kv's. I don't see nearly as many bishops as I see FVs but this tank has the same gun a tier lower. I have no problem with relocating to get stuff in range. I keep getting ace tanker and/or being top in my team with experience and damage.

I was really struggling with the other two artillery mentioned, not knowing the best positions to be able to hit most of the map,so is this thing just incredibly overpowered and easy to use?

FV304 is still OP as hell after the well deserved nerf. Still fun as hell to play.

As for your arty, I can only comment on the S-51.
It is a pretty hilarious tank, since you essentially get a tier9 gun at tier7.
Atrocious accuracy and reload, but when you hit it is pure hilarity. Blapping a tier8 for all of its HP never gets old.
The S-51 taught me a whole lot about positioning on the maps as well as patience and always aiming for blue/purple players.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Cardiac posted:

The S-51 taught me a whole lot about positioning on the maps as well as patience and always aiming for blue/purple players.

Yeah, I'm having to relearn positioning, all these new maps and changes to old maps! And I'm still 15k away from unlocking that top gun, I'm guessing it'll be as hilarious as when the KV-2 penetrates tier 8's from the side/back.

Steelion posted:

E: that reminds me, does fire damage not count for missions? I nailed a black prince twice and briefly set him on fire for ~1100 damage, but didn't get the "do 1000 damage to a heavy tank" mission.

Pretty sure it does, maybe it got hit by another tank for a couple of hundred damage but it got hidden by the constant burning damage? Just got it in the bishop, lumbering KV's and that silly german DW2.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

JohnGalt posted:

If you have issues with a fairly mobile tank with great penetration, good alpha, and makes bullshit on the move shots; I don't know what to tell you.

It's still using the top IS gun and even firing gold I can barely pen some tier 10's from the side, never the front (217 avg pen). I have less than 2k battles so free xping up to the top gun is out of the question, and I cant' be hosed to grind another 38k xp to get it through such an awful slog.

However, when it's a tier 8 or 9 match it's fun but it seems that nearly every match I got for a week solid in it was tier 10 so I ended up just playing up to the Cromwell and burned out on the game.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Stock tank bad.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart
I'm about 4K away from the T29, coming from the M6. What should I expect aside from hull-down funtimes?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

RanKizama posted:

I'm about 4K away from the T29, coming from the M6. What should I expect aside from hull-down funtimes?

It's sluggish without the engine upgrade, you'll need to use some gold ammo with the 90mm before you unlock the 105, and you should research the gun before the turret

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Atomizer posted:

Uh, it still has that gun. It's literally the top gun for the tech tree Panther.
Yesss, totally rebuying the Panther. I'll use it as an excuse to train up a Leo crew or something.

RanKizama
Apr 22, 2015

Shinobi Heart

NTRabbit posted:

It's sluggish without the engine upgrade, you'll need to use some gold ammo with the 90mm before you unlock the 105, and you should research the gun before the turret
Does the engine make that big of a difference? It's only an 80HP upgrade. Seems pretty marginal for a tank of that size. Thanks for the tip on the gun/turret though.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
The top engine definitely helps but it's always going to be a slow tank. You definitely want the top gun and turret first. The top gun itself is absolutely average in every way. aimtime, alpha, reload and dispersion are all ok. It does everything well enough, nothing amazingly and nothing badly. If you intend to keep going up the american heavy line you better learn to love it too since you'll be using it on the T32 as well.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Also while it's not listed anywhere, the turret will improve the T29's rate of fire with the 105. With BIA, vents, and a rammer you can just barely beat 6 rpm with it.

I have to disagree with the 'always going to be slow' statement. While it's not exactly going to be a medium tank, with the top engine and tracks it actually has quite good mobility which is probably a function of the fact that it has a good turn rate for a heavy of it's tier and it can spin in place, rather than having to drag itsself in a wide circle.

Oh, and while it's not an amazing sidescraper, you can use the treads as extra armor a whole lot. They're big and I've had hundreds of cases where I've wiggled just right and caused a shot to get eaten by the front drive wheel. Try to park it at about a 25-30 degree angle and you can get around 140-150mm of frontal/side armor out of the hull.

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Haquer posted:

It's still using the top IS gun and even firing gold I can barely pen some tier 10's from the side, never the front (217 avg pen). I have less than 2k battles so free xping up to the top gun is out of the question, and I cant' be hosed to grind another 38k xp to get it through such an awful slog.

However, when it's a tier 8 or 9 match it's fun but it seems that nearly every match I got for a week solid in it was tier 10 so I ended up just playing up to the Cromwell and burned out on the game.

That tank in particular is pretty much the top gun (now that the HD side armor isn't nearly as effective). Everything Tier 8 and above sucks as a stock tank.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

world of boat tanks is open now for a stress test and then open beta and all progress is being kept. I haven't played it yet but time to come play my lord i guess??? :toot:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

yaay posted:

world of boat tanks is open now for a stress test and then open beta and all progress is being kept. I haven't played it yet but time to come play my lord i guess??? :toot:

Eh if that sort of thing floats your boat then the game is fine.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BadLlama posted:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

gently caress you that was comedy gold :colbert:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I remember when the T29's ears were 0 armor. And the T30 was the top tank in the tree and everything from the T29 up through to the T30 was exactly the same.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I remember when the T32 was considered bad, then good, then bad again, then good again

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

BadLlama posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-4-gLlF0uw

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012

Bort Bortles posted:

I remember when the T29's ears were 0 armor. And the T30 was the top tank in the tree and everything from the T29 up through to the T30 was exactly the same.

The 0 armor ears were not hitboxes though. You could only destroy the viewport module that way.

Also, the T34 was a tier 9 tank at one point. Consider that for a minute.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

JohnGalt posted:

The 0 armor ears were not hitboxes though. You could only destroy the viewport module that way.

Also, the T34 was a tier 9 tank at one point. Consider that for a minute.
You could definitely kill people by shooting their ears. And the T34 changed a bunch (okay a little, e.g. the gun) when it was turned into a premium.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The T34 used to be a snappy DPM monster. Now it's an ungainly, ponderous, unfun shitpile.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

RanKizama posted:

the best goddamned heavy tank in the game

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

xthetenth posted:

The T34 used to be a snappy DPM monster. Now it's an ungainly, ponderous, unfun shitpile.

T34 was a scary loving tank. I loved it as a T9, I also loved the T30 as a T10. Pubbies back in the day thought the T34 was garbage because it did not have armor, the gun MORE than made up for that.

BadLlama posted:

gently caress you that was comedy gold :colbert:

:colbert:

srb
Jul 24, 2007

Haquer posted:

Free XP the BL-9 if you value your sanity. The difference is huge.

And yeah, the T29's ears were damage zones, but I thought they fixed that in beta? If not in beta, it was fixed quickly after release. But yeah, shooting the ears to kill T29s was definitely a thing, and I still get new players shooting the ears since the pen indicator shows green on them.

Haquer posted:

Less than 2k matches. I have like 2k free xp from spending it on other tanks, welp~

Convert from elited tank accumulated XP or just bench the IS-3 for the time being and play all your other tanks, 5% of your accumulated XP is free XP, so you only need to get like 1 million XP.

srb fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

srb posted:

Free XP the BL-9 if you value your sanity. The difference is huge.

Less than 2k matches. I have like 2k free xp from spending it on other tanks, welp~