Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Radish posted:

All combats are resolved by smacking the models together and making *pew pew* or *shcraaah!* noises. The one that breaks first is the loser and then you re-buy the busted model.

ps this is how i imagine 40k is actually played

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Business Gorillas posted:

would you like to buy one of our GREYPLASTIC BATTLESMASHERS for $49.99?

*buys 10*

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The last time I played 40k at a game store it was against a guy who would throw up his arm and make ricochet noises whenever he made an armor save. Like miming a shield and going 'ka-ping' and stuff. Every save.

Unrelated, I don't play pickup games any more.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

Moola posted:

*begins burning and making GBS threads on design documents, in that order*

Are you a GW rules designer???

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hm, what's the status of my bet...

Rulebook Heavily posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and guess third quarter of 2015, so... 15th September 2015 will see a major part of the company die out in some capacity.

Sort of on track.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Soulfucker posted:

Are you a GW rules designer???

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Tyrants are the only army that don't get hammers

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I think no points would be, in a properly tested system, a good way to simplify army selection and management. Your horde army would have a bigger unit , and the more elite unit of properly balanced value would be smaller. But then you'd have to cut down on customization and I feel like they're not going to do that. See, the minute you go 'and this unit has the horn of blowing and sacks of great weight, so they get...' the simplification stops being and it just slides back into grogville as you throw an entire bucket of dice onto the table.

On the other hand I would measure all of my baseless ranged units directly from their groin and inform my opponent they are in fact "firing from the hip" so maybe I'm not the best source of evaluations.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

berzerkmonkey posted:

It will be bullshit. Everything is guesses or unfounded rumors until GW sends out the info to retailers.

Not bullshit judging by the leaked photos. It's slightly cut off but it sure as hell looks like "lean down and see if you can see any part of the model" or along those lines.

https://twitter.com/Chumphammer

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

"Whats that you say tiny space-barbies. Kill the postman and wear his skin? Sounds good."

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

This is how my wife imagines EVERY war game to be played.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Sounds like a few good ideas that streamline the game and then a whole shitload of terrible, GW-typical rules.

But we'll see. I'd like it to be good, but I know it won't be.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

FrostyPox posted:

I'd like it to be good, but I know it won't be.

It's just like every GW release, only more so this time.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

If there are no points have they just thrown out any pretense of balance?

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Crackbone posted:

If there are no points have they just thrown out any pretense of balance?
It's balanced by formations. You can pick 20 goblins or 5 sigmarines or whatever

it's all down to unit scrolls now. they make or break it. and the nigmos

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
pretend i put balanced in scare quotes pls

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

quote:

I have touched the promo set. I have seen it. It is real. Here's what I know.

- you do not need to re-base your armies. Bases have one function only; to make your model stand up. All measurement is done from the model itself. A wing, a horn, the very tip of a sword sticking out...doesn't matter. If you want to re-base your army, stick your models on tiny weights so you can group them up as tightly as possible. Why? Because each model now fights against any model in a 360 degree arc that is up to 3" away.

- army books are gone but the new rules are free. And not just the rules but the rules for EVERY FANTASY MODEL GW CURRENTLY SELLS. So you're going to want to buy a printer because each unit comes with it's own card. The old stats are gone and have now been replaced with the cards. Whether a Human swings at a Dragon, a Steam Tank, or a Zombie, he hits on a 4+. Zombies however are easy to hit so on the Zombie card they might have a rule that anything swinging at them gets +1 to hit so the Human would then hit on a 3+. However when the Human swings on a Chaos Warrior, he may hit on a 4+ but because of their armor, he may be -1 to wound them. Every unit has its own cards (I now understand why this is a low model count game). You can now field anything from any army. If you want an army to consist of warp lightning cannons led by a Wood Elf on a dragon, knock yourself out. But the minimum unit size is whatever was sold in the box. Witch Elves are sold in boxes of 10 so that is their minimum unit size. Only 1 Screaming Bell comes in a box so minimum unit size is 1. There are no maximum unit sizes. Weapon specifications also come on the cards. Elvish archers have a bow, it shoots 24" and always hits on a 4+ for example. Orcs have Choppas that give +1 to wound on the charge. It's all on the cards themselves which is why the rules pack is so small.

- Brettonians and Beastmen still exist. There are cards for EVERY model.

- Whatever your units used to do, it has all changed. It might be the same. But it probably isn't.

- Wizards have cards just like everyone else. But they list the spells they can cast. So magic does exist. A Goblin Shaman casts different spells than a Necromancer.

- This game cannot be used for tournament play. When Player A achieves one of a handful of victory objectives (like killing Player B's General), Player B then gets a "hail mary" shot where they can specify a particular condition they have to meet and if they do it, they win. For example, Player A kills Player B's General. Player B picks the option to kill player A's General within a single turn. If he does it, Player B wins. If not, Player A wins. It's like adding weights to the winner to make his actual winning more difficult.

And then we run into the real problems. I am going to guess that the geniuses at GW did not bother to playtest the game because I saw no rules for fielding armies. Just show up, put down some models.
"I brought 39 Skaven Slaves led by an Ogre. What did you bring?"
"I brought 40 Star Dragons."

WTF?! There is no points system? Like...none?!?!?! Just throw some **** on the table and start rolling dice?! Are you freaking kidding me??????? Ok, I get that you can now buy a box of anything and you can play. They figured out a way to beat the high entrance cost of the game. But...words fail me at the stupidity of the game. In its current release form, it is completely unplayable. In absolutely no way do I see how this could be even fun as it is. Without some kind of balance, there is no game. Now the rules are free and in theory they could update them at any time with point costs. And if that happens instantaneously, great! But IMHO the folks at GW needed to get it right and in the beginning or there will just be an exodus of players. If they fix this 3 months from now, people will have found a new game they like and not bother with the train wreck this looks to be. I would guess they have 30 days to fix it or their fantasy product is done.

#8theditionforever

Dude from the UK WH forum

The hail mary poo poo sounds like the worst of Dreadfleet

Joe_Richter
Oct 8, 2005

Laser Lenin approves of hobo murder simulators.
Making you literally smash your (space/balls) mans apart during each game, thus forcing you to buy a whole new army each time sounds like the most Games Workshop thing ever.

You guys should probably not be giving them ideas.

Also, Saga already does the army selection like the new rumours (each selection gets you 4 hearth guard, 8 warriors or 12 levy) but I really don't trust GW not to make some selections literal trap choices.

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
holy poo poo that sounds terrible.

A "pointless" system would be an interesting one, and one that I've put a lot of thought into for house rules, but that would be based on every single unit being roughly equal in power (so a space marine might be twice as good as an Ork, but a space marine unit has 5 models while the Orks get 10). No upper limit to unit sizes, and from the looks of it no equal minimum unit sizes (orcs sold in boxes of 10, so are witch elves...) so yeah that's pretty hosed.

The Hail Mary thing honestly sounds like the worst rule I've ever read in a wargame without exaggeration.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Daedleh posted:

holy poo poo that sounds terrible.

A "pointless" system would be an interesting one, and one that I've put a lot of thought into for house rules, but that would be based on every single unit being roughly equal in power (so a space marine might be twice as good as an Ork, but a space marine unit has 5 models while the Orks get 10). No upper limit to unit sizes, and from the looks of it no equal minimum unit sizes (orcs sold in boxes of 10, so are witch elves...) so yeah that's pretty hosed.

The Hail Mary thing honestly sounds like the worst rule I've ever read in a wargame without exaggeration.

maybe they'll start putting out boxes of 20 again?

lol

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
For the record my group already plays 'Iron Man Warhammer' where every model you loose must be smashed on the garage floor by your opponent's claw hammer

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The most obvious thing for GW to do is the most low-effort thing, which is to make WHF more like 40k, so I won't beleive those pointsless rumours 'til I see them.

Ashcans posted:

The last time I played 40k at a game store it was against a guy who would throw up his arm and make ricochet noises whenever he made an armor save. Like miming a shield and going 'ka-ping' and stuff. Every save.

It's me

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

You can look at the screenshots for confirmation of the "just bring whatever" aspect of it.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

You can look at the screenshots for confirmation of the "just bring whatever" aspect of it.

yeah there's pics in the fantasy thread of rules now

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

yeah there's pics in the fantasy thread of rules now

lmao i gotta check that out a sec

e: jesus christ thats a lot o posts for the fantasy thread

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 29, 2015

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
ahahaha holy poo poo they took away points values

you thought the end times already happened?

guess again :smuggo:

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
all you nerds saying that unbound was a good thing, this is what your slippery slope has resulted in

bask in the putrid stench of your own misery

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BULBASAUR posted:

all you nerds saying that unbound was a good thing, this is what your slippery slope has resulted in

We've been having fun in the byob hams thread for months now idgi

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Lmao they're completely insane

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

ahahahahbahaha its more terrible than i could have dreamed

lmao im so looking forward to listening to the garagehammer guys try to make sense of this with guns in their mouths

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

BULBASAUR posted:

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

- me reading all this terrible poo poo

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm just proud I talked a goon into selling his army on ebay half a year ago

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I still can't believe the pointless system. Like...it could work. But GW could never hope to make something that works well.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Make up your own rules tournaments! We don't give a poo poo!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

BULBASAUR posted:

unbound is Good

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Spoiler image album right here

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Nebalebadingdong posted:

unbound is Good

wrong wrong wrong

fantasy rules are much better, because you can bring whatever you want and there are no point limits either

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

BULBASAUR posted:

wrong wrong wrong

fantasy rules are much better, because you can bring whatever you want and there are no point limits either

actually, it is Very Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Nebalebadingdong posted:

actually, it is Very Good

actually, its only good when you already own a bunch of stuff and can wipe the :smug: off of a netlister's face when you swap out your army with a direct counter

• Locked thread