Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Mordiceius posted:

So for those playing the real endgame, here's a list of the 3.0 triple triad NPCs organized by their availability windows.

The survival of some of those NPCs could be considered a spoiler since quite a few of them are in danger of dying throughout the MSQ, just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SirPhoebos posted:

So does the MSQ eventually get better about acknowledging that you didn't in fact solo the 8-man boss fight?

(MSQ spoiler joke) They're actually all primalthingies that you summon whenever you go into battle.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Opposing Farce posted:

By Heavensward they start just completely ignoring the fact that other people are there and don't even bother justifying it. Personally I think it's kind of hilarious.

I loved how egregious it was for the Aery. You are riding in one of two existing manacutters that have been specially made to get in there. Both only have enough room for one person, there's one for you and one for Estinien. You crash at the dungeon entrance and the other adventurers just sort of appear out of nowhere.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Eej posted:

The survival of some of those NPCs could be considered a spoiler since quite a few of them are in danger of dying throughout the MSQ, just saying.

The NPCs are all just really minor side-NPCs, or ones whose sole purpose is to be TT opponents (like Idle Imperial), though? The major characters on the left are the cards they drop.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Begemot posted:

I loved how egregious it was for the Aery. You are riding in one of two existing manacutters that have been specially made to get in there. Both only have enough room for one person, there's one for you and one for Estinien. You crash at the dungeon entrance and the other adventurers just sort of appear out of nowhere.

They were all inside the deck of your airship.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Rincewind posted:

The NPCs are all just really minor side-NPCs, or ones whose sole purpose is to be TT opponents (like Idle Imperial), though? The major characters on the left are the cards they drop.

Oh, I totally misread that chart. Nevermind then.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Everyone acts like this is the first final fantasy where you fit a party inside of your pocket, only to appear during turn based magic combat.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Begemot posted:

when you saw only three sets of footprints...that's when you carried that lovely dragoon...

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Klades posted:

If the enmity numbers I've seen tossed around are accurate, using Dark Arts on power slash is a waste of MP. It looks like the DA bonus is only about 15% more enmity.
For that matter, unless your DPS outgear you a lot it's a waste of GCDs to use Power Slash at all, in my experience, unless you want to dump enough enmity on an add that you can ignore it until it does, or are tanking without Grit against some 4man boss that hits like a wet noodle. I did some badrough napkin math and if you compare an MP neutral "spam Souleater" Grit combo to an MP neutral "Oh god I have to make every other combo Power Slash to keep threat" non-Grit combo, the latter comes out ahead.

Interesting, thanks for the info on DA power slash. I still feel like starting a boss or single-mob fight with power slash is the way to go just to give you an initial lead against ALL THE COOLDOWNS GO GO GO dps, but I'll make a note to try skipping DA on it for a while.

I'm a really conservative tank player--I need absolute certainty of survival and a good DPS class makeup to ever even think about multipulling--so if something's hitting me, Grit is on 99% of the time, so I'm not going to stretch too much brainpower on that possibility. :v:

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

onesixtwo posted:

Everyone acts like this is the first final fantasy where you fit a party inside of your pocket, only to appear during turn based magic combat.

final fantasy is pokemon.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I've written off the other adventurers, in plot terms, as necessary for MMO gameplay, and no longer story-relevant. The story justifies this, expounding on what a stupendous badass the WoL is, so I figure it works.

Besides, the idea that the WoL soloed the final dungeon and trial makes me laugh. :v:

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Eej posted:

You can totally get away with it as a tank or healer

But you shouldn't? It's an objectively worse weapon, in no way does that make the better version "skippable." More weapon damage = more threat generation or larger heals and more effective limit breaks. How is any of this "skippable?"

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
As someone who poopsocked way ahead of the FC and ran all the story stuff alongside really crap pubbies I'm somewhat inclined to discount their contribution anyway. I'm the canon Warrior of Light, sorry guys.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
After some searching at Sea of Clouds I found the mystery airship.

It just turns and flies off into the clouds

this is really cool

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I'm really beyond excited to know that thing travels around. I spotted it the other night while doing some hunts in the final zone. Holy gently caress Yoshi-P what do you have in store for us.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

It's no different from the ship that sails around off the shore of areas in La Noscea guys. :colbert:

it is actually much cooler

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Volt Catfish posted:

I'm like almost 40 and still enjoying Machinist, am i a scrub lord yet?

I'm 38 MCH and I also enjoy shooting guns, so :hfive:

Here's what I'd change given my clearly very extensive knowledge of this job:

- Increase the Ammo buff timer, or remove the timer entirely.
- Don't consume ammo on attacks that don't have an Ammo bonus. Alternatively, give all attacks an Ammo bonus.
- Increase the TP bonus from Quick Reload.

I am legit looking forward to getting it to 60 to see what it plays like at endgame. Again, if it's truly unbalanced, the devs will know and will surely fix it.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

DizzyBum posted:

I am legit looking forward to getting it to 60 to see what it plays like. Again, if it's truly unbalanced, the devs will know and will surely fix it.

Most sensible MCH post I've read. I love seeing statics clearing the primals with MCH in their group while the masses are screaming about how horrible the job is.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

onesixtwo posted:

I'm really beyond excited to know that thing travels around. I spotted it the other night while doing some hunts in the final zone. Holy gently caress Yoshi-P what do you have in store for us.

I really love all these little things in FF14. The devs are pretty passionate about making an awesome game.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

DizzyBum posted:

I'm 38 MCH and I also enjoy shooting guns, so :hfive:

Here's what I'd change given my clearly very extensive knowledge of this job:

- Increase the Ammo buff timer, or remove the timer entirely.
- Don't consume ammo on attacks that don't have an Ammo bonus. Alternatively, give all attacks an Ammo bonus.
- Increase the TP bonus from Quick Reload.

I am legit looking forward to getting it to 60 to see what it plays like at endgame. Again, if it's truly unbalanced, the devs will know and will surely fix it.

It's a weird class to be sure, but I'm enjoying it so far in the mid 40s. I'm glad i have the fights memorized though. otherwise I'd be constantly eating mechanics while watching my hotbar. Also it gave me an excuse to put on some old Buccaneer gear and run around looking like a pirate.

I also ran the last story duty with a friend last night and one of the pubs was a first timer MCH, so at least some people like it enough to make it their main to 60.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Volt Catfish posted:

I'm like almost 40 and still enjoying Machinist, am i a scrub lord yet?

its not that MCH is unenjoyable. I actually really like the mechanics behind it, in theory build up crazy bursts and spike the poo poo out of your dps then recover and repeat, but in practice the further you get from 30 the more impotent the job gets. I was able to squeeze some really crazy numbers out of bard but MCH is just hamstrung by intentionally low output being screwed by the random nature of the base combo and some really wacky timers.

If they can get MCH settled above bard for damage with their current utility they will be fine but..they have no niche for their damage levels and are a chore to get to damage levels equivilant to bard which packs more utility. Its not great as a job but its nowhere near unsalvagable, they should hopefully be able to tune it pretty soon.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Spaceman Future! posted:

its not that MCH is unenjoyable. I actually really like the mechanics behind it, in theory build up crazy bursts and spike the poo poo out of your dps then recover and repeat, but in practice the further you get from 30 the more impotent the job gets. I was able to squeeze some really crazy numbers out of bard but MCH is just hamstrung by intentionally low output being screwed by the random nature of the base combo and some really wacky timers.

If they can get MCH settled above bard for damage with their current utility they will be fine but..they have no niche for their damage levels and are a chore to get to damage levels equivilant to bard which packs more utility. Its not great as a job but its nowhere near unsalvagable, they should hopefully be able to tune it pretty soon.

On the one hand, I feel like MCH is fine and just needs a numbers tweak. On the other hand, I feel like MCH's RNG is just too much to design around and so you'll get a class that's got such a large damage range that it's impossible to properly balance.

Either way, it's still not an unsalvageable class, either they buff some numbers or they eliminate a bit of the RNG to make it easier to bring into line and it'll be fine. It's still painful as hell to play in lower levels to me. You can just spend too much time plinking away at things with split shot while there's not much you can do about it.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

onesixtwo posted:

Most sensible MCH post I've read. I love seeing statics clearing the primals with MCH in their group while the masses are screaming about how horrible the job is.

A highly skilled and coordinated group can make a lot of goofy less-than-optimal poo poo work, though, so that doesn't really prove anything one way or the other. It's not like a good static can't cover for one subpar party member.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Opposing Farce posted:

A highly skilled and coordinated group can make a lot of goofy less-than-optimal poo poo work, though, so that doesn't really prove anything one way or the other. It's not like a good static can't cover for one subpar party member.

Certainly true, but seeing some of the already-progression statics choosing to use MCH still is a good thing considering everyone else including this thread seems to think it is worthless. I doubt the people already done clearing Ravana wouldn't keep using a total poo poo job just to 7man content already.

Maybe they haven't had time to re-level a 60. Who knows, point I still stick to is people are way too hasty to write off the job when it's clearly going to get some love very soon.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jun 29, 2015

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
it's because they know that it will be fixed, not because the job is good

keep in mind that in 2.0 war was absolute gutter trash

Professor Latency
Mar 30, 2011

Is ninja fun? I'm almost 30 and have an archer at 27 but I got bored as gently caress and bard doesn't seem that much more involved than archer.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

onesixtwo posted:

Certainly true, but seeing some of the already-progression statics choosing to use MCH still is a good thing considering everyone else including this thread seems to think it is worthless. I doubt the people already done clearing Ravana wouldn't keep using a total poo poo job just to 7man content already.

Maybe they haven't had time to re-level a 60. Who knows, point I still stick to is people are way too hasty to write off the job when it's clearly going to get some love very soon.

Who's writing it off, though? Every time MCH is mentioned, everyone basically does the equivalent of shrug and say "It'll get better."

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Has anyone else with a female character noticed that the characters in Ishgard randomly change from calling you Mistress to Master partway through the story?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

ActionZero posted:

Has anyone else with a female character noticed that the characters in Ishgard randomly change from calling you Mistress to Master partway through the story?

I haven't seen that specifically but there's a variety of bugs involving character's gender. Gender specific titles will often switch entering instances, etc

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

bonewitch posted:

I haven't seen that specifically but there's a variety of bugs involving character's gender. Gender specific titles will often switch entering instances, etc
I have a few screenshots where I'm

<Gentlewoman>
Gentleman Caller

and it's pretty comical. :v:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ActionZero posted:

bonewitch posted:

Never had this myself. Maybe it's connected to (recent?) fantasia use?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Professor Latency posted:

Is ninja fun? I'm almost 30 and have an archer at 27 but I got bored as gently caress and bard doesn't seem that much more involved than archer.

I find Ninja fun, yeah. It's all about juggling buffs and dots and debuffs and using the right mudras at the right time. One of the key features of the ninja is a mudra that increases their skill speed (reducing GCDs to something like 2 seconds) so it's necessarily a more fast-paced class, assuming you keep it up at all times (which you should, and they've made easier to do in HW).

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Truga posted:

Never used a fantasia ever. /shrug

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Truga posted:

I didn't use a fantasia until HW and got the bug multiple times pre-expansion.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Ainsley McTree posted:

I find Ninja fun, yeah. It's all about juggling buffs and dots and debuffs and using the right mudras at the right time. One of the key features of the ninja is a mudra that increases their skill speed (reducing GCDs to something like 2 seconds) so it's necessarily a more fast-paced class, assuming you keep it up at all times (which you should, and they've made easier to do in HW).

It is so nice not having to recast huton all the time. In dungeons you only have to do it before and after bosses now. Though I do wish it was a full refresh and not just 30 seconds, it makes me paranoid and I end up using it way more often than I should.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

ActionZero posted:

Makes sense, since Ser is gender-neutral anyway, Ishgardian society may consider titles to supplant gender designations in that regard?

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

bonewitch posted:

I didn't use a fantasia until HW and got the bug multiple times pre-expansion.

I also did not use fantasia pre expansion but I also did not get the bug because I am cute and also great.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
As a blm mage, should I not be using thunder anymore? So I should just get ecochain refreshed with B3>B4 then quickly get back in AS to spam F4?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Holy poo poo I just got to Azys Lla and I'm freaking out at everything that happens or that anyone says.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jun 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ridinspinnaz
Jan 29, 2009
square enix keeps messing up my gender pronouns and now my lalafel is lying on the floor of the guild house crying

• Locked thread