Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Nexus phone …^^

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

theultimo posted:

Oh its Verizon poo poo I cannot uninstall

i thought carrier winpho apps were unistallable

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

pointsofdata posted:

i thought carrier winpho apps were unistallable

Its a new feature of Windows 10 Mobile.

Its the worst thing, I have NFL MObile wasting space i cannot uninstall.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I have a Sony Xperia Z 3 Compact mobile telephone device running version five point oh of the open source Android smart device operating system brought to you by Google

since I bought it from Amazon it does not have any carrier crapware on it

if for whatever reason the open and competitive Android platform is not to your liking I can also recommend the Apple iPhone range which is also a very popular brand of smartphone that does not have any shitware out of the box whatsoever

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
You got Lucky, the z3v Verizon verson is stuck on KITKAT in TYOOL 2015. I'm glad I replaced the tripe.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

theultimo posted:

Its a new feature of Windows 10 Mobile.

Its the worst thing, I have NFL MObile wasting space i cannot uninstall.

apple succeeded by telling carriers to go gently caress themselves on preloads

so clearly the way to gain market share is to inflict worthless crap on end users

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

so clearly the way to gain market share is to inflict worthless crap on end users

well yeah

two markets:
people who care about their phone
people who buy whatever the carrier pushes on them

winpho is playing for the second one because competing for the first market hasn't worked for them.

Fuschia tude
Dec 26, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

Beeftweeter posted:

amazon used to use lasership and they were consistently better than ups or fedex at getting poo poo here on time (early even) and undamaged

i dont think they use them anymore though, idk why

Amazon used lasership for me only once in the last three years. My package arrived 8 days late after I had already filed a claim and been reimbursed by Amazon. v:confused:v

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

Yes that is definitely the reason the iphone made their way to the top of the smartphone market share in 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

winpho is playing for the second one because competing for the first market hasn't worked for them.

no carrier pushes their winphone except for like, cricket?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

shadow puppet of a posted:

should you ever complain to amazon that they dont let you avoid ups should you live in an area served by a piece of poo poo for a driver, their customer service folk have been trained to tell you, without their voice cracking into sniggers and guffaws, that its a technological impossibility that they've not been able to solve, while on their home page at the same time are pr product spotlights about drone shipments, natural voice input syntax parsers and the mightyest cloud computing infrastructure in all of human history

but adding that checkbox to say, god no don't leave my box of vibrators, canned hams and xbox games in the hands of ups, is a horizon too far for even the aspirations of their space-faring ceo
amazon doesn't care who ships packages to you, they will use whoever is cheapest at the time. caveat emptor, bitch.

i hear they're also thinking about using ~*the sharing economy*~ so look forward to even more random dipshits being the courier for the last leg

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

anthonypants posted:

amazon doesn't care who ships packages to you, they will use whoever is cheapest at the time. caveat emptor, bitch.

i hear they're also thinking about using ~*the sharing economy*~ so look forward to even more random dipshits being the courier for the last leg

i'm intimately knowledgeable with what's going down here and the next few years are going to be amazing*

*for the tech bubel thread. yospos bithc

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Fuschia tude posted:

Amazon used lasership for me only once in the last three years. My package arrived 8 days late after I had already filed a claim and been reimbursed by Amazon. v:confused:v

lol i looked it up and apparently their main hub and corporate headquarters is the next city over from me, so thats probably why it wasn't terrible

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i'm intimately knowledgeable with what's going down here and the next few years are going to be amazing*

*for the tech bubel thread. yospos bithc

i thought you worked at google though? dont tell me amazon is teaming up with google for the world's biggest ballpit

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

to purposefully buy a windows phone youd have to be too incompetent to live on your own

like if it were still the 50s theres no doubt in my mind the state would just take you away and start electroshocking and lobotomizing until you were no longer able to move or speak

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Beeftweeter posted:

i thought you worked at google though? dont tell me amazon is teaming up with google for the world's biggest ballpit

no you're right. tech is very incestuous up here in seattle tho. if you don't have relatives at the big 5 or w/e you will definitely have good friends and ex schoolmates/coworkers.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

no you're right. tech is very incestuous up here in seattle tho. if you don't have relatives at the big 5 or w/e you will definitely have good friends and ex schoolmates/coworkers.

Washington, one of the few Microsoft strongholds. Be careful, their hive mind will infect you.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

LastInLine posted:

to purposefully buy a windows phone youd have to be too incompetent to live on your own

like if it were still the 50s theres no doubt in my mind the state would just take you away and start electroshocking and lobotomizing until you were no longer able to move or speak

as a willful windows pho owner he's halfway there already

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
like theres "let me buy this $50 unlocked lumia to play around with" dumb and then theres a special kind of "let me get locked into a two year contract with this windows phone" dumb

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Beeftweeter posted:

like theres "let me buy this $50 unlocked lumia to play around with" dumb and then theres a special kind of "let me get locked into a two year contract with this windows phone" dumb
2 yr contract please

Jts only 2 hundo without one

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

the only person i know who owns a windows phone only has it because his dad works for microsoft or something and gave it to him
personally even if i got a free windows phone i still wouldnt use it

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET

can you make windows phone icons all the same color?

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Triglav posted:

can you make windows phone icons all the same color?

the ones who have bothered to make an icon with a transparent background can be set to the same accent color, as well as some background image options

and yes that means microsoft is loving with that on several of their own apps

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.

I like how you have to guess at the function of a lot of the buttons. Makes it a more cinematic experience, like Scooby Doo solving a mystery.

From left to right at the top we have talk on phone, text message, sneak up on a person, voicemail, open your LP, sexhole.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Yaos posted:

open your LP
bonus prize hand held calculator in a box of cereal, the app tells you which popular brands current offer a prize calculator

this month its cheerios

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Yaos posted:

I like how

hair on tip

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

anthonypants posted:

this happened to me the other day, i ordered something from amazon at like 1am and chose next day shipping not thinking it would actually work. The mail usually gets delivered at like 10am so when my batteries didnt show up I was a lil upset.

But at like 4pm i get a call from a local number and its some guy saying he has my package and will be delivering it within the hour. When he arrives it is just a guy in a minivan with a bunch of Amazon packages in the back. I guess they hire them similar to like an Uber driver? Anyways I thought the phone call was cool and it's pretty neat that they could get my thing to my door in like ~16 hours

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Yaos posted:

I like how you have to guess at the function of a lot of the buttons. Makes it a more cinematic experience, like Scooby Doo solving a mystery.

From left to right at the top we have talk on phone, text message, sneak up on a person, voicemail, open your LP, sexhole.

Don't forget the status bar with four icons each a different size

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

Virion posted:

ty for the map of burnsville

it's a bad suburb but not the worst. i know like a half dozen people from there.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

Elder Postsman posted:

it's a bad suburb but not the worst. i know like a half dozen people from there.

Yeah that's North Minneapolis

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

32MB OF ESRAM posted:

this happened to me the other day, i ordered something from amazon at like 1am and chose next day shipping not thinking it would actually work. The mail usually gets delivered at like 10am so when my batteries didnt show up I was a lil upset.

But at like 4pm i get a call from a local number and its some guy saying he has my package and will be delivering it within the hour. When he arrives it is just a guy in a minivan with a bunch of Amazon packages in the back. I guess they hire them similar to like an Uber driver? Anyways I thought the phone call was cool and it's pretty neat that they could get my thing to my door in like ~16 hours

i had something delivered by a random kid in a sedan. he called because he couldn't find my apt and didn't say his name/company or anything, just "hey i have a box for you"

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

amazons now trying to do its own courier thing "AMZN_US" or w/e and hiring couriers from baby companies that dont even own their own delivery vehicles. also the new "free prime same-day deliveries" thing makes me wonder how many more proles die daily so i can have my favorite shampoo for $1 less

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Shampoo and the like is wildly more expensive than just buying it at your local grocery store, Prime two day cat food shipments is where its at.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

for me it's like a lil cheaper. iirc amazon makes ppl sign contracts like "you wont offer it for less anywhere else" but idk. sometimes i buy things on amazon cuz while they technically more expensive theyre cheaper if you account for shipping (ya boy got that prime)

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug
Thanks for caring Microsoft Edge

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

god i hate those "friendly" error messages

chome is full of them too

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

theultimo posted:

Thanks for caring Microsoft Edge

UGH I HATE THIS poo poo

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

microsoft's copy editors all moonlight as writers for the simple english wikipedia pages

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i was setting up a hosted thing for a client and its something we do for lots of our clients and it has custom copy on the page for each client. so this new client sent me a word doc w/ all the copy and it was fine and everything but at the top of the doc it was like "everything must be at a 4th grade reading level" because it was for Medicaid/medicare lol.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
4th graders are dumb as gently caress apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
it needed to be at a 4th grade reading level because it was for it workers/programmers

• Locked thread