Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Moridin920 posted:

Corollary: if you don't kill Whoreson Jr earlier, that's just him there right? Not Dudu?

She can do signs I think, she still has magic powers. iirc in the very start of the game during the tutorial bit when you are 'practicing' with her you are showing her some sign usage.

Per the books, because of her magic ability she wasn't able to learn/use Signs. Later she burned out her ability, so maybe she could now learn it now but that was after her witcher training.

Y'know, in case she wasn't OP enough.

And yeah, decoy is really useful with the dragon and/or medics, let alone redeploying spies. Worth having 1 in your hand, and maybe 2-3 if you're playing NR/NG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

They could also just delay a turn, useful if you want to see what the opponent plays or you want to get the last turn for NR's ability to draw extra card in new round if they finish last.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

WoodrowSkillson posted:

they could have just done like, poker, or really anything that's not medieval pokemons

I unironically scream 'I CHOOSE YOU, THALER!' when I play Gwent.

E: I guess my feeling on this matter is that I don't mind if you don't like Gwent, nobody can make you like it by yelling about it - but I'd bet that as far as mini-games go Gwent ended up being pretty popular compared to if they had just dropped your standard Poker game you see in every RPG these days.

Ice Fist fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 29, 2015

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009
Some gwent tips:

For fighting monster decks I always take a deck with plenty of spies, biting frost, and decoys. This is usually my northern realms deck. On your first turn, if you have any spies at all play them. All of them. Get as many cards as you can. Monster decks will try to overwhelm you with numbers in the first round. While you are playing your spy cards they are playing a bunch of cards too trying foolishly to win the first round, little do they know you have other plans. When you are out of spies skip your turn so monster deck wins. Now you have a ton of cards and they have a lot fewer. The next two rounds should be won easily. Sometimes they are out of cards by the third round and I'll have 3-5 making sure I keep at least one damage card ensures victory every single time. This strategy works against most other decks too.

Decoys are great because if you play a spy, and then they pick up your spy and play it, you get the spy back! Or, in the second or third rounds, if you have any resurrection cards you can play it, decoy it, and play it again! Just remember that decoys don't work on the cards with golden suns, so decoy wisely!

Don't be afraid to skip your turn if you know you are going to lose the 1st or 2nd round. Also don't be afraid to play useless weather cards just to make your opponent waste cards. If you make it to the third round, the person with the most cards will usually win.

Try to play your lower damage cards first because scorch sucks dilz. This includes cards that do more damage if another one of the same type is played. If the combined damage of those cards is higher than another one of your cards, play the card that won't have a partner. This applies to commander horns, leader abilities, and clear weather cards too. The com might skip their turn if they have a big enough lead, but what they weren't counting on is that you have a commander horn and now your archers are doing double damage and you win the round, or all those siege weapons that have been getting rained on for the past 5 turns are now at full force because you sat on that clear weather card. Try to play cards that give you the least amount of benefit first, you will probably win.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It would have been sweet if the whole world played 9x9 go.

e: In my open world rpg, everyone will play connect-4 and the champion will always get to go first, and have perfect play so they always win.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jun 29, 2015

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Pot Of Shoe posted:

Some gwent tips:

For fighting monster decks I always take a deck with plenty of spies, biting frost, and decoys. This is usually my northern realms deck. On your first turn, if you have any spies at all play them. All of them. Get as many cards as you can. Monster decks will try to overwhelm you with numbers in the first round. While you are playing your spy cards they are playing a bunch of cards too trying foolishly to win the first round, little do they know you have other plans. When you are out of spies skip your turn so monster deck wins. Now you have a ton of cards and they have a lot fewer. The next two rounds should be won easily. Sometimes they are out of cards by the third round and I'll have 3-5 making sure I keep at least one damage card ensures victory every single time. This strategy works against most other decks too.

Decoys are great because if you play a spy, and then they pick up your spy and play it, you get the spy back! Or, in the second or third rounds, if you have any resurrection cards you can play it, decoy it, and play it again! Just remember that decoys don't work on the cards with golden suns, so decoy wisely!

Don't be afraid to skip your turn if you know you are going to lose the 1st or 2nd round. Also don't be afraid to play useless weather cards just to make your opponent waste cards. If you make it to the third round, the person with the most cards will usually win.

Try to play your lower damage cards first because scorch sucks dilz. This includes cards that do more damage if another one of the same type is played. If the combined damage of those cards is higher than another one of your cards, play the card that won't have a partner. This applies to commander horns, leader abilities, and clear weather cards too. The com might skip their turn if they have a big enough lead, but what they weren't counting on is that you have a commander horn and now your archers are doing double damage and you win the round, or all those siege weapons that have been getting rained on for the past 5 turns are now at full force because you sat on that clear weather card. Try to play cards that give you the least amount of benefit first, you will probably win.

Alternatively, throw out all your weather cards (leave one Biting Frost if you wanna laugh at monsters), pick Nilfgaard and never worry about Scorch again.
Getting your Viltretenmerth killed by the enemy one, then reviving yours to kill the enemy's, getting that scorched and reviving it again is the best.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

GrossMurpel posted:

Alternatively, throw out all your weather cards (leave one Biting Frost if you wanna laugh at monsters), pick Nilfgaard and never worry about Scorch again.
Getting your Viltretenmerth killed by the enemy one, then reviving yours to kill the enemy's, getting that scorched and reviving it again is the best.

What's even better is when they horn their close combat, then you play biting frost and the dragon in quick succession. Nothing like watching their entire front row go up in flames.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Sindai posted:

Yeah that works. It's not as powerful as NR overall thanks to lacking spies but it's simpler to play. Just pack melee with cards, commander's horn, clear skies if they have a frost.

I see people in this thread using decoys but I never bothered. What are they good for other than stealing spies, which is only useful if the opponent is Nilfgard or NR?

Decoys let you:
Pull valuable cards out after they've been hit with a weather effect
Double-dip with your medics
Stall, forcing your opponent to play more cards before you pass

None of that is as useful as nabbing spies, but it's enough to keep them in your deck against monsters/squirrels.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Monster decks are terrible because the opponent can easily out-spy you and you'e doubly hosed if you draw more than one muster card of the same type.

OAquinas posted:

What's even better is when they horn their close combat, then you play biting frost and the dragon in quick succession. Nothing like watching their entire front row go up in flames.

:allears:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I mean really though who needs Quen when you can just teleport out of the way. I guess Quen protects you from poo poo you don't see coming though.

Monster decks are funny because I play my spies and decoys and let them blow their load on the first round then I have 15 cards for the next two rounds and they have basically nothing left.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Ok so Vesemir's 3D model just disappeared when

(I am super late and haven't finished game yet, sorry)

The wild hunt dude is supposed to be breaking his neck. The body was there through everything prior, but when there's a cut and the hunt guy is actually breaking his neck, hunt guy is just holding air, no body.

Is my ps4 broken and didn't load his 3D model, or is it supposed to be like that due to some censorship or something?

GrossMurpel posted:

Monster decks are terrible

Lies, I only got that all cards trophy because I used monsters + hero cards, monsters owns.

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 29, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Spoiler the whole thing, dude

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 29, 2015

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

Spoiler the Vesemir thing

Seriously holy poo poo

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Jimlit posted:

Seriously holy poo poo

Everyone knows Ves is in the game, don't they?

E: Seriously this thread is pretty bad for spoiling the game, probably should avoid it until you're finished and want to argue about which trolls you're allowed to kill.

Also how the hell do you get a Doppler mutagen? I couldn't bring myself to kill the one I was contracted to go after in Novigrad.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 29, 2015

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I hated gwent, but after some tips from this thread I now have spies and medics and steamroll people. it's still not fun, there's no skill involved at all, but i'm not losing every game i play now.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
So, I just looted the Necronomicon from one of the bookcases in Kaer Mohren. There's no quest connected to it though, just a few passages from the real thing (sans the unavoidable insanity of course). It makes for a cute easter egg though.

Melted_Igloo
Nov 26, 2007
the monster deck would be kind of cool if the crones were all spies and you could muster three spies on your opponent

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Melted_Igloo posted:

the monster deck would be kind of cool if the crones were all spies and you could muster three spies on your opponent

This but with dopplers/succubi

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

Palpek posted:

We had dice poker in Witcher 2, boy let me tell you how crazy fun it was, after winning a bit gold at the beginning it made no sense touching it outside of the dice poker championships in each new area that you could be done with in 5 minutes and it took longer to run between different players than to beat them. Gwent has a much better reward system with new cards dropping when you win so you want to play with everybody.

I think the one time I played dice poker in that game I threw all the dice off the table like some kind of idiot and then never played again. Don't think I'm cut out for RPG minigames :v:

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Gilganixon posted:

Also how the hell do you get a Doppler mutagen? I couldn't bring myself to kill the one I was contracted to go after in Novigrad.

You can't, then. Same goes for Succubus mutagen - you only meet 2 as part of quests and you can choose to either kill them or spare them, and there aren't any out in the open world.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I just remembered we're getting an open world science fiction rpg from these same people... oh me oh my I am going to play that so hard

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Body = 3D model, of the body. Like, when you first meet him in the first 2 minutes, he has a body, like all humans. I'll edit that in I guess. Jeez people

Thin Privilege fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 29, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Gilganixon posted:

E: Seriously this thread is pretty bad for spoiling the game, probably should avoid it until you're finished and want to argue about which trolls you're allowed to kill.

This thread is actually pretty good about using spoiler tags. And, no, it is not obvious that Vesemir dies. Which that guy just outright says.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Someone with deeper knowledge of Witcher magic now that we're there; how exactly does one "burn out" the ability? As I remember (and it's ages since I read that particular novel, waiting for Swallow right now), she basically dives straight to deep end after bare basics in Aretuza. So, why can't someone like Yen get her through that mental block much like Aang and firebending?

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

GuyUpNorth posted:

Someone with deeper knowledge of Witcher magic now that we're there; how exactly does one "burn out" the ability? As I remember (and it's ages since I read that particular novel, waiting for Swallow right now), she basically dives straight to deep end after bare basics in Aretuza. So, why can't someone like Yen get her through that mental block much like Aang and firebending?

I think she swore off magic and that's binding forever because mumble mumble Elder Blood.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

So, I just looted the Necronomicon from one of the bookcases in Kaer Mohren. There's no quest connected to it though, just a few passages from the real thing (sans the unavoidable insanity of course). It makes for a cute easter egg though.

You can also find the Necronomicon and some other cool books at the bookstore in Velen.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Melted_Igloo posted:

:stonk:

My suggestion would be like dizzy said - give Scoi'atel a doppler, an elven refugee, and a dwarven smith that are all spies.

To upgrade Monsters:
  • Make flying creatures = Ranged so not everything goes in the loving melee row.
  • Make harpies have muster and have there be a bunch of them.
  • Have there be like, a Swamp hag and Bilge Hag or whatever that are ranged that muster with a Foglet or two that are melee.
  • Add trolls that return to play at the beginning of the next round of the game.

Also lol @ Eredin being the Commander or whatever of the Monster deck but there are no Wild Hunt cards for him to play :xd:

edit: the changes to Scoiatel would only really make them similar to NR and Nilf, though; they wouldnt be that different so you would simply be picking the pictures you were playing without really changing the gameplay

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jun 29, 2015

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

When Ciri tries to heal that unicorn and Falka or whatever tries to take over, she's like "nah I'm good" and forswears magic for good and all, which apparently removed her ability to cast any magic of any sort

It's the kind of thing they could totally retcon (so she could do Witcher signs) or decide to cure her of (so she could do real magic) if they felt like bringing Ciri back in any potential future Witcher game

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Manatee Cannon posted:

When Ciri tries to heal that unicorn and Falka or whatever tries to take over, she's like "nah I'm good" and forswears magic for good and all, which apparently removed her ability to cast any magic of any sort

It's the kind of thing they could totally retcon (so she could do Witcher signs) or decide to cure her of (so she could do real magic) if they felt like bringing Ciri back in any potential future Witcher game

He poker in red dead at least played kinda like poker and i bet druk poker with eskel and lambert would have been funny as poo poo

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Scoiatel cards could get to move rows once already placed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Manatee Cannon posted:

A neat, though very challenging to make, Witcher game would be like ~20 years in the future when Ciri contracts Geralt and Yen to make more Witchers, and you get to play as a make-it-yourself guy. Depending on how ambitious they would want to be, CDPR would have 3 or 4 voice actors so you could pick your own voice. Then they could try to build it a lot more open-ended (e.g. you could have more of your own personality, though still be a witcher) but still make it so you are not the Chosen One and still end up only mildly affecting the world rather than saving it.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Gilganixon posted:

If you're that worried about spoilers you shouldn't be in internet threads :shrug:

Either someone doesn't care and spoils poo poo or people do care but can't do spoilers properly and block off their whole fuckin' post so you don't actually know what it is supposed to be spoiling until it's too late.

I mean yeah that was kind of a pretty big spoiler but still you gotta expect to get burned when you play with fire.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

:stonk:

My suggestion would be like dizzy said - give Scoi'atel a doppler, an elven refugee, and a dwarven smith that are all spies.

To upgrade Monsters:
  • Make flying creatures = Ranged so not everything goes in the loving melee row.
  • Make harpies have muster and have there be a bunch of them.
  • Have there be like, a Swamp hag and Bilge Hag or whatever that are ranged that muster with a Foglet or two that are melee.
  • Add trolls that return to play at the beginning of the next round of the game.

Also lol @ Eredin being the Commander or whatever of the Monster deck but there are no Wild Hunt cards for him to play :xd:

edit: the changes to Scoiatel would only really make them similar to NR and Nilf, though; they wouldnt be that different so you would simply be picking the pictures you were playing without really changing the gameplay

The problem with monsters is that card advantage is everything in Gwent and you can't change that without making all the factions pretty much the same, as you said for the Scoia'tael.

Manatee Cannon posted:

Yeah they completely changed how the White Frost works, they can definitely make Ciri a sorceress again.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zakmonster posted:

You can't, then. Same goes for Succubus mutagen - you only meet 2 as part of quests and you can choose to either kill them or spare them, and there aren't any out in the open world.

Speaking of Succubus', if you let the Succubus in Novigrad go, the journal says that Geralt might come to regret it later. So she was bad after all? As far as I can tell there's no way to determine that in the quest, its just her word against the guards.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

GrossMurpel posted:

The problem with monsters is that card advantage is everything in Gwent and you can't change that without making all the factions pretty much the same, as you said for the Scoia'tael.
For Monsters, and a degree with Scoi'atel, they do have the Muster ability as "card advantage" in that it draws cards from your deck when played from your hand, but it also pulls from your hand (which is Real Bad). To make monsters more competitive without completely changing the game they could make their faction ability one that lets them cycle 4 cards out of their hand at game-start rather than just 2, allowing them to put some muster cards back in their deck so they do not lose them from their hand when one is played.

For Scoi'atel they could make it so you could play "Leaders" like Yeavinn or Iorveth that have a Muster-like ability that summons a whole bunch of lovely elves from outside of the game as a way of having card advantage. e.g. I play Yaevinn and he summons 3 strength 3 elven archers; I summon Iorveth and he summons 4; <some dwarf> that summons dwarven melee guys; I play Saskia and she pulls 2 elves, 2 dwarves, and 2 humans; ect

Give the squirrles a "master smith" that gives all melee guys +1 and a "master fletcher" that gives all of their archers +1 (they only have one hero that does things like that and only for ranged).

I'm just spitballing at this point, I'mma shut up.

I guess I really like Gwent and wish it was more competitive and there was more end-game content for it. I was hoping that once I won the "steal a card from your opponent's graveyard" Emhyr I would have a lot more fun (I dont like any of the other Emhyr Commander abilities) but instead I was sad because there were no more Gwent quests :(

I kinda wish ~if all the decks were more balanced~ you could pick a starter deck to go with at the beginning rather than being forced to do Northern Realms. But that is jut nitpicking at this point, heh.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Early game question, what's the best way to find gear that doesn't suck

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Bort Bortles posted:

For Monsters, and a degree with Scoi'atel, they do have the Muster ability as "card advantage" in that it draws cards from your deck when played from your hand, but it also pulls from your hand (which is Real Bad). To make monsters more competitive without completely changing the game they could make their faction ability one that lets them cycle 4 cards out of their hand at game-start rather than just 2, allowing them to put some muster cards back in their deck so they do not lose them from their hand when one is played.

For Scoi'atel they could make it so you could play "Leaders" like Yeavinn or Iorveth that have a Muster-like ability that summons a whole bunch of lovely elves from outside of the game as a way of having card advantage. e.g. I play Yaevinn and he summons 3 strength 3 elven archers; I summon Iorveth and he summons 4; <some dwarf> that summons dwarven melee guys; I play Saskia and she pulls 2 elves, 2 dwarves, and 2 humans; ect

Give the squirrles a "master smith" that gives all melee guys +1 and a "master fletcher" that gives all of their archers +1 (they only have one hero that does things like that and only for ranged).

I'm just spitballing at this point, I'mma shut up.

I guess I really like Gwent and wish it was more competitive and there was more end-game content for it. I was hoping that once I won the "steal a card from your opponent's graveyard" Emhyr I would have a lot more fun (I dont like any of the other Emhyr Commander abilities) but instead I was sad because there were no more Gwent quests :(

I kinda wish ~if all the decks were more balanced~ you could pick a starter deck to go with at the beginning rather than being forced to do Northern Realms. But that is jut nitpicking at this point, heh.

Obviously, you meant to type "being forced to do Northern Realms until you have enough Nilfgaard cards and then immediately switching because it's the better deck". What a silly typo to make!
The thing is that Gwent is quite alright as a collection game. It really mirrors the typical RPG progression where you become more powerful the longer you play but it becomes too easy in the end. I don't think the devs would've had the time to create a real proper in-depth card game.

smoobles posted:

Buy maps from a blacksmith or armorer inventory. The different Witcher school gears are pretty much the only worthwhile ones.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

smoobles posted:

You don't need gear in this game, actually. The start of the game is just hard while you get used to the mechanics, then it gets easy (even on death march or whatever)

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

smoobles posted:

Roam around and search the ?s. They usually have gear at your level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So I almost felt bad doing a sidequest where: I ran into a town scared that some woman is going to come by and "teach some dude a lesson". Turns out it's a little girl and of course, it turns out the dude lied to you and has been helping the bandits and when they didn't give him as much money as he'd like he ratted them out to the Witch hunters. In either case, I didn't trust her to only kill dickface, and oh look, he wasn't lying she was a warewolf after all.

At which point I found her diary from her dead mother asking her to run and never come back because the family secret is out and please try to live like a good person. Oh well.

Just another case where the game gives you a situation where everyone sucks.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 29, 2015