Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mango Polo posted:

I really love all these little things in FF14. The devs are pretty passionate about making an awesome game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33r8lw_xn-I

:v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
i never beat t13 but i'm going to insist everyone be BiS before attempting the weak rear end ex whale primal

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Aside from that, my final two abilities feel like cruel jokes masquerading as real abilities. A regen bubble where I can't move or cast for 18 seconds? Thanks. 4 more seconds on my card effects? Wow.

Collective Unconscious is a fantastic skill, please don't knock it. In Diurnal Sect, you can easily give a full party a Regen with a combined Cure Potency of 200, and you can give a few people a Regen with a combined Cure Potency of 300 -- just shy of the Potency of your Benefic I, mind you. It's very strong AoE healing for 0 MP cost. Also, it doesn't seem to count as a Channeled spellcast - you can just sit there and tank damage so long as it doesn't disposition you without ever being interrupted, and with as strong healing as it offers, dodging telegraphs is more than optional. In Nocturnal Sect it's not quite as glorious in that it's slightly less flexible, but with a proper card buildup, you can give someone a 25% damage reduction. It might seem weak because you can't do any other actions, but it doesn't have an MP cost, meaning any circumstance you can use Collective Unconscious instead of actually healing you will gain a huge amount of net MP by doing so (12-16% of your Max MP, depending on tick timers, for the full duration.)

Celestial Opposition is an AoE 4 second stun that adds 5 seconds to all of the buffs you place, including Aspected Benefic and Aspected Helios. Combined with Time Dilation, you can do crazy things such as giving people reduced TP/MP costs for a whole minute.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know
I've unlocked the first three beast race quests now. Stupid game making me care about them with stories but can't continue unless I gain reputation. You get the cute plant people that you help and quest with for the majority of your 20's so obviously you can't abandon them. Plus they talk adorably. There are also the ixals and kobolds which are not as cool as the sylphs because they were your enemies the majority of the game. The other two are still level locked for me. You only get 3 quests a day and they reward you with 15 reputation each. Its going to take years to rank up! Outside of interesting mounts there are no reason to do them right?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Velveteen posted:

I've unlocked the first three beast race quests now. Stupid game making me care about them with stories but can't continue unless I gain reputation. You get the cute plant people that you help and quest with for the majority of your 20's so obviously you can't abandon them. Plus they talk adorably. There are also the ixals and kobolds which are not as cool as the sylphs because they were your enemies the majority of the game. The other two are still level locked for me. You only get 3 quests a day and they reward you with 15 reputation each. Its going to take years to rank up! Outside of interesting mounts there are no reason to do them right?

The quest you get for maxing rank in all five tribes is a treasure.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

I'm glad someone looked at the idea, considered the man hours needed, and went "this is swell, let's put this poo poo into the game"

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Velveteen posted:

You get the cute plant people that you help and quest with for the majority of your 20's so obviously you can't abandon them
Abandon them. You will regret every day otherwise.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ActionZero posted:

Has anyone else with a female character noticed that the characters in Ishgard randomly change from calling you Mistress to Master partway through the story?

There's a certain part of the story where you are granted the title of Master by one of the characters, if you were paying attention.

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

a cat on an apple posted:

Also, it doesn't seem to count as a Channeled spellcast - you can just sit there and tank damage so long as it doesn't disposition you without ever being interrupted, and with as strong healing as it offers, dodging telegraphs is more than optional.

Amusingly enough, even if you get knocked up on, say, the last boss of Neverreap, it will still stay in effect.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Boten Anna posted:

There's a certain part of the story where you are granted the title of Master by one of the characters, if you were paying attention.

I like to think I was paying a reasonable amount of attention but I don't recall that detail, when does it happen?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

They synch up nicely!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

a cat on an apple posted:

Collective Unconscious is a fantastic skill, please don't knock it. In Diurnal Sect, you can easily give a full party a Regen with a combined Cure Potency of 200, and you can give a few people a Regen with a combined Cure Potency of 300 -- just shy of the Potency of your Benefic I, mind you. It's very strong AoE healing for 0 MP cost. Also, it doesn't seem to count as a Channeled spellcast - you can just sit there and tank damage so long as it doesn't disposition you without ever being interrupted, and with as strong healing as it offers, dodging telegraphs is more than optional. In Nocturnal Sect it's not quite as glorious in that it's slightly less flexible, but with a proper card buildup, you can give someone a 25% damage reduction. It might seem weak because you can't do any other actions, but it doesn't have an MP cost, meaning any circumstance you can use Collective Unconscious instead of actually healing you will gain a huge amount of net MP by doing so (12-16% of your Max MP, depending on tick timers, for the full duration.)

Celestial Opposition is an AoE 4 second stun that adds 5 seconds to all of the buffs you place, including Aspected Benefic and Aspected Helios. Combined with Time Dilation, you can do crazy things such as giving people reduced TP/MP costs for a whole minute.

Don't get me wrong, I use both abilities pretty much whenever given the chance. I was a bit hard on them in the first post. I actually favour the nocturnal stance CU because I think throwing up a quick 10% shell up when I need it, and quickly getting back in the action is more useful than giving a free 150 extra regen for the few seconds I (and everyone around me) can stay still, when I'd rather just throw another helios and get back in the action. The need for mobility is just killing me this expo though, so I don't find many situations where I can feasibly give a 18 second regen and not just get squashed by a boss. I can't find many reasons to be in nocturnal though, either.

The 5 seconds extra regen with CO might give one tick, might give two but either way it's an extra 1 or 2k for me, which is decent. But an extra 5 seconds on ability costs or extra damage I just don't feel add up to a lot - especially when compared to Assize, Tetragrammaton, or Indomitabilty which I can see making or breaking an encounter. Which is probably my biggest problem - I spent so much time on the other two healers that I want to bolt some of their skills onto mine. I'm also used to having multiple "oh poo poo" buttons available to me. Essential Dignity is nice, but it's no benedition + tetragram, or Lustrate. I'm really comparing apples and oranges with the three classes, because when I get more experienced with Astro, I might not feel the need to have those other skills or better use the new ones.

Time dilation is just awesome, I can't argue.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TooManyUzukis posted:

But you shouldn't? It's an objectively worse weapon, in no way does that make the better version "skippable." More weapon damage = more threat generation or larger heals and more effective limit breaks. How is any of this "skippable?"

Man if I can sit down and grind out some Bismarck EX to get glamours for friends and get myself a 175 weapon so I can spam hunts just a little less to have a decent weapon for when it's time to grind Ravanna EX I'll take it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Eej posted:

Man if I can sit down and grind out some Bismarck EX to get glamours for friends and get myself a 175 weapon so I can spam hunts just a little less to have a decent weapon for when it's time to grind Ravanna EX I'll take it.

Doing your rank 3 daily hunts and your weekly B-rank gets you the weapon upgrade item in 4 days.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Velveteen posted:

The final quest is great entertainment and gives a very glamourable headpiece and unique title/achievement.

It seems daunting, but remember you can do 12 quests total per day, which can be spread out around all the tribes any way you like (still subject to the 3 quests per NPC per day limit). The quests give a respectable amount of exp so they're good for leveling your pre-50 stuff and getting your chocobo some extra exp on the side from murdering things.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ActionZero posted:

I like to think I was paying a reasonable amount of attention but I don't recall that detail, when does it happen?

The lord of House Fortemps, whatshisname with the very Japanese moustache, calls/grants you the title Master for... something, probably saving everyone and him being emotional about his son or something, I did this very late at night in a whirlwind but this stuck out and I remember it specifically when he granted me the title of Master because I remember trying to figure out what the equivavalet title is for girls or in this case, (cat)women and never really findrngtan answer some time ago.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Hooray I finally can use my mount.

Final Fantasy 14 is a good game.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Wait until it can fly

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Rei_ posted:

Yo so that hidden ship that's in the skybox.. Was it in the last zone, Sea of Clouds or Churning Mists? I've heard all three and we're starting to think it moves around

Do you mean this thing?

I found it in the Sea of Clouds.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

cheetah7071 posted:

Doing your rank 3 daily hunts and your weekly B-rank gets you the weapon upgrade item in 4 days.

Doing hunts pretty regularly I had enough seals to buy mine two days ago and I only hit 60 yesterday, now I'm at ~300 seals again. Was lucky enough to get one S-rank though.

Here's a good protip for anyone leveling, when you start seeing "inv inv inv" spam due to a hunt spawning and it's somewhere you can reach in a reasonable amount of time, start inviting people yourself instead of joining the chorus. There's more than enough people that just by ramming "Send Invite" to the spam in the chat will net you a full group in less than 30 seconds.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Moldy Taxes posted:

Dhalmelskin stuff doesn't look too shabby either.

It turns you into a cowboy. :3:

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Which is probably my biggest problem - I spent so much time on the other two healers that I want to bolt some of their skills onto mine. I'm also used to having multiple "oh poo poo" buttons available to me. Essential Dignity is nice, but it's no benedition + tetragram, or Lustrate.
New Lustrate is so bad. :( I use enough stacks on Bane and Indom that honestly, it feels less useful than ED, especially since you can combo Benefic II and immediate ED for a pretty nice spike heal. (ED is at 400 potency at max health and 1000 potency at 1% health.)

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Tataru what the gently caress are you doing?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

gathering information.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

Do all the daily hunts and you get 110/day. That makes it 3 days if you do you B-rank as well. Hunts really are much more friendly to those who don't want to sit in a TS all day/use guildwork than they were in 2.0. With all of this, there really isn't a reason to NOT have an i180 weapon at most 3 days after you hit 60, probably sooner if you've been doing hunts pre-60.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

SwissArmyDruid posted:

(MSQ spoiler joke) They're actually all primalthingies that you summon whenever you go into battle.

So wait, when you get your first crystal the cutscene shows a bunch of different characters flying around the big crystal-and as they were all in clownsuits like me they were meant to be other players. I assumed that this was supposed to be including the MMO aspect of the game into the plot. Did that just get dropped?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

What's the best low effort level 50 weapon?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
buying an i115 from the weapons vendor in foundation

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

sword_man.gif posted:

buying an i115 from the weapons vendor in foundation

How is that compared to paying a goon fc for the 50 meant to get through the 2.55 content?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If you're a fresh 50 on your first class, just keep doing the MSQ. It'll reward you with gear as you go along.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

TooManyUzukis posted:

Do all the daily hunts and you get 110/day. That makes it 3 days if you do you B-rank as well. Hunts really are much more friendly to those who don't want to sit in a TS all day/use guildwork than they were in 2.0. With all of this, there really isn't a reason to NOT have an i180 weapon at most 3 days after you hit 60, probably sooner if you've been doing hunts pre-60.

If you're tanking and can't hold threat because of 5 item levels it's not the weapon that's doing it is the point he's making.

Like, calm your tits. Nobody gives a poo poo about what you bought first with your monopoly bucks while the content right now consists of "spam ampador keep 2.0 and wait for alexander"

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

If you're a fresh 50 on your first class, just keep doing the MSQ. It'll reward you with gear as you go along.

I already have a class at 60, I'm leveling a scholar from 0 but I have zero gear for it and idk how to gear him to start doing HW stuff now that I'm out of side quests.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Professor Latency posted:

Is ninja fun? I'm almost 30 and have an archer at 27 but I got bored as gently caress and bard doesn't seem that much more involved than archer.

Just about all the classes are dull before level 30. Nin is no exception.

That said, I main nin and I think the class is great and in a solid spot. I fairly consistently top meters in middling gear. It feels faster paced than most other dps classes because they are working off a 2 second GCD instead of 2.5 and you also have a fair number of off-GCD stuff so the class feels busy which I like. It also doesn't have all the positional garbage that monk does, which I also like because I am lazy. Ability timers all line up nicely which helps make the general rotation easy to grasp, at least to me. Also passive run speed boost is always one of the best things to have. Now that I have warmed up the new abilities I am really quite happy with it.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

I'm 38 MCH and I also enjoy shooting guns, so :hfive:

Here's what I'd change given my clearly very extensive knowledge of this job:

- Increase the Ammo buff timer, or remove the timer entirely.
- Don't consume ammo on attacks that don't have an Ammo bonus. Alternatively, give all attacks an Ammo bonus.
- Increase the TP bonus from Quick Reload.

I am legit looking forward to getting it to 60 to see what it plays like at endgame. Again, if it's truly unbalanced, the devs will know and will surely fix it.

1. The ammo buff timer isn't that bad, if you time it you can just permanently keep it on by using the single reload as soon as the buff falls off since buffs have like a half GCD before they're actually gone. I agree, it'd be nice. If they made instant reload like 5s longer you could keep it on for pulls and stuff.

2. The latter is less likely since they want you to use Ammo on the 123 combo (it's not 123 it's more like 123132132blahblahblah but you know what I mean). They should make it so Lead Shot and Hot Shot don't consume it, though, I agree with that.

3. Personally I'd prefer that they up the proc chance at least of Split Shot (I guess it's the Slug Shot proc) by like 15%, that would also reduce TP use. Probably not by 15% but I don't know the math to figure that out because I'm dumb and lazy.

In the meantime I am starting my MCH guide for ffgoons, so expect that eventually. It will be needlessly complex but theoretically approachable. We'll see what happens!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SwissArmyDruid posted:

(MSQ spoiler joke) They're actually all primalthingies that you summon whenever you go into battle.

SirPhoebos posted:

So wait, when you get your first crystal the cutscene shows a bunch of different characters flying around the big crystal-and as they were all in clownsuits like me they were meant to be other players. I assumed that this was supposed to be including the MMO aspect of the game into the plot. Did that just get dropped?

Maybe they are. Maybe they aren't.

Killsion
Feb 16, 2011

Templars Rock.
Pretty certain I remember Yoship clearly stating the player character, your player character, is the only Warrior of Light. Everyone else doesn't actually exist in the story.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Killsion posted:

Pretty certain I remember Yoship clearly stating the player character, your player character, is the only Warrior of Light. Everyone else doesn't actually exist in the story.

This is good advice for all MMOs as well as real life.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I think when you start one of the early dungeons, the questgiver tells you to find a group of adventurers, or something. So basically in the MSQ you're the special snowflake and everyone else are just adventurers hanging out.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

TooManyUzukis posted:

Yeah but my point is, 180 or 175 weapon, they'll both be replaced shortly by Ravana weapons. So I am positing that is a pretty okay path, given a sufficiently chill raid group, for you to just get a 175 weapon from Bismarck, then get a 190 from Ravanna and skip the 180 completely. You can then take your 3-4 days of daily hunting and put those seals towards things that won't be so easily upgraded, for example left side gear or accessories because both Alexander and Esoterics are weekly gated.

Like yeah I can see your point if 180 was the top end of weapons available but Ravana is sitting right there and some people have done enough Hunting in 2.x that they really don't want to feel compelled to drop everything they're doing because an A or S rank spawned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOkvK7kWtGg

Double posting for this cause it owns.

• Locked thread