Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
I love how the cars and trucks are just booking it through the checkpoint now that it's a crater.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Scintilla posted:

I love how the cars and trucks are just booking it through the checkpoint now that it's a crater.

As if you'd stick around?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Sly/Plotting grabbed everyone's attention, but at worst that'd involve some trickery with the LRM launcher or an unforeseen tactic.

The thing we really need to keep an eye on is the 'mech that just turned 'Suspicious'. We cannot afford to have our cover blown. Let them think they're clever and tricky. That's fine. If they're thinking we're being too clever and tricky, we have a problem.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
No. They figured out our goal and will start capping vehicles. Time to engage and destroy.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
It's not like we were going to.. Not do our best to blow them up anyhow, heh.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Affi posted:

No. They figured out our goal and will start capping vehicles. Time to engage and destroy.

I thought of this as well, actually, but honestly I don't see much we could do about it if that's what they decide to do; we don't know which car to protect, and it's not like we can block off their shots. All we can do is kill the enemy 'Mechs, which we were going to be trying to do anyway. So.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
Sending a gauss slug at the suspicious one will remind him his head is for ducking, not thinking.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Yeah, I'd say focus firing that suspicious guy down into the dirt makes the most sense.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

AJ_Impy posted:

Sending a gauss slug at the suspicious one will remind him his head is for ducking, not thinking.

I'm liking more and more my "Charge the gently caress straight down to 0818" plan. I don't get to shoot the Wyvern, but I'll have much better options for the following turns I think. The Hellhound and Sha Yu won't really want to stay near me because they couldn't get that +3 move mod that is keeping them alive. And I'd have enough MP to swing around behind either of the domes on the following turn, and hopefully close in to kick the snot out of the Wyvern.

I also tend to make really dumb agressive moves though, anyone see a huge flaw that I'm missing here? I really don't like the option of going to 315 and shooting the wyvern because it has good shots on me, and more importantly the hills being at my back would make it much harder to escape on the following turn if they all decide to try and block me in. I could get pinned to the point of having to give at least one of the back shots, which would be not good.

jng2058 posted:

Yeah, I'd say focus firing that suspicious guy down into the dirt makes the most sense.

The suspicious guy needs like 10+ to get hit best case, we're not killing him this turn.

e: Barring :BATTLETECH: happening, that is.

Gwaihir fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 29, 2015

Nullkigan
Jul 3, 2009
One thing to consider is that a gauss rifle is a very precise weapon. Having two shots go astray by that amount is a little suspicious - it's not like you walk them as if they were ultra AC 2's.

Maybe throw a couple more shots wide when you can to make it less obvious. Pretend you have a bad actuator or a lemon of a targetting computer, you're not exactly expected to be running pristine 'mechs after a lengthy period behind enemy lines.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
I don't think we're going to have a problem missing lots of shots with pilots that are effectively gunnery 5 against 7/11 'Mechs!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Having two 'wild' gauss slugs consecutively nail the checkpoint could have tipped your hand a little, so I would agree with advice that includes keeping the pressure up so the Opfor doesn't have time to get thoughtful.

Incidentally, does Battletech technology allow for civilian-plausible armored cars that can withstand Battlemech weaponry, and would the scattered forces of Carlos Marik have access to them? I suppose it's of limited practical utility since a car that can survive one hit from a medium laser is a sure sign of a car important enough to shoot again, but it would be nice if Carlos could at least not get instagibbed if the Opfor catches on.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Bloodhound shouldn't have run in front of his checkpoint if he didn't want to be responsible for the misses. These Capellan mediums are just too drat fast for my slow reflexes!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

The Merry Marauder posted:

Bloodhound shouldn't have run in front of his checkpoint if he didn't want to be responsible for the misses. These Capellan mediums are just too drat fast for my slow reflexes!

You're a loving retard I was gonna kick the checkpoint this turn and make it look like my wardog was busting through it indiscriminately to run down a capellan mech. Make up for it by putting gauss rifles into capcon chests.

Viva Miriya fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 30, 2015

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
You used up all your luck on the Flea; you'd have blown the PSR and crushed Cousin Carlos.

You're welcome.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

The Merry Marauder posted:

You used up all your luck on the Flea; you'd have blown the PSR and crushed Cousin Carlos.

You're welcome.

Good point, all guns on the bloodhound so we only have to worry about the sha yu running about?

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

Yeah, I was gonna shoot at the Bloodhound even though I have better odds on the Wyvern both to make it "look good" with him as my primary target and so he stops making me dizzy with this sprinting bullshit.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Does Gauss being precise really matter to the charade? Surely it doesn't matter how precise a gun is if the gunner's sloppy (or pretending to be sloppy) and just starts shooting before their crosshairs get over the target? I mean, I suppose a barrage of indiscriminate missiles would be even more deniable since you could've honestly been pointing at the right target and they'd still decide today's the day for scattering into the neighbouring hex, but taking a shot while there was still a plausible target right next door and even mixing up your fire sounds like due diligence to me. Only way you could do it better that I can imagine is smashing it while no Capellan mechs are even around to see you do it, and even then some grunt in the checkpoint could radio up one of the mech pilots to tattle.

If that mech pilot actually put anything together besides being just generally curious then icing him in particular probably wouldn't make a difference, since he'd just share whatever he figured out with the other mech pilots.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

A gauss shot hitting the checkpoint and maybe one targeted to a nearby building would look like a sloppy gunner firing before he had a good fix on the bloodhound. 2 Gauss rifles smashing clean into the checkpoint looks deliberate. We can make up for it by being super aggressive to the capellan mechs and not giving them time to think on it.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Viva Miriya posted:

You're a loving retard I was gonna kick the checkpoint this turn and make it look like my wardog was busting through it indiscriminately to run down a capellan mech. Make up for it by putting gauss rifles into capcon chests.

Whoa now don't go full shadowdragon on us. I am still sanguine about our chances of success in this mission! Yea, one gauss shot would have done it, but w/e we'll be fine.

Gonna submit orders to charge straight ahead to 0818, shooting the Sha yu. If his ECM is busy powering stealth armor, does it still function as ECM to jam my active probe? Wondering if I need to swap to counter mode to scan that blanked out dome.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Voyager I posted:

Having two 'wild' gauss slugs consecutively nail the checkpoint could have tipped your hand a little, so I would agree with advice that includes keeping the pressure up so the Opfor doesn't have time to get thoughtful.

Incidentally, does Battletech technology allow for civilian-plausible armored cars that can withstand Battlemech weaponry, and would the scattered forces of Carlos Marik have access to them? I suppose it's of limited practical utility since a car that can survive one hit from a medium laser is a sure sign of a car important enough to shoot again, but it would be nice if Carlos could at least not get instagibbed if the Opfor catches on.

Commercial armor can deal with anything up to a medium laser without any particular performance issues, though you'd need about 400 pounds of the stuff on a facing to do so. Anything bigger gets an increased chance to TAC.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Sorry, by civilian-plausible I meant "could plausibly look like something other than an armored car" rather than "could plausibly be purchased by civilians", or in other words could an important noble have an armored limo or whatever that could stand up to a little bit of incoming fire. Given the circumstances on-planet, finding if they could make some kind of armored box truck out of contractor-grade plates they pulled out of a warehouse is also relevant.

I'm assuming the more likely result of Carlos being found out is that the Vengeance Counter becomes the new primary objective.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
So, a couple of extra tons of Battletech magic armour? Probably still lighter than a presidential limo.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Voyager I posted:

Sorry, by civilian-plausible I meant "could plausibly look like something other than an armored car" rather than "could plausibly be purchased by civilians", or in other words could an important noble have an armored limo or whatever that could stand up to a little bit of incoming fire. Given the circumstances on-planet, finding if they could make some kind of armored box truck out of contractor-grade plates they pulled out of a warehouse is also relevant.

I'm assuming the more likely result of Carlos being found out is that the Vengeance Counter becomes the new primary objective.

Battletech does have the Rotunda armored car, which is a covert vehicle that looks like a sports car, but packs battle-grade armor and a LL/SRM2. Unfortunately, so not to tip everyone off by making it fuckton heavy, it's only 20 tons, so it's survivability against actual mechs in combat is not all that great. It can maybe take a couple of shots before dying horribly, but it's main defense comes from not looking like it belongs on a battlefield.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
20 tons and "sports car" are not things that go well together.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

goatface posted:

BT and "weights that make any sense" are not things that go well together. It balances out.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey

Gwaihir posted:

Whoa now don't go full shadowdragon on us. I am still sanguine about our chances of success in this mission! Yea, one gauss shot would have done it, but w/e we'll be fine.

Gonna submit orders to charge straight ahead to 0818, shooting the Sha yu. If his ECM is busy powering stealth armor, does it still function as ECM to jam my active probe? Wondering if I need to swap to counter mode to scan that blanked out dome.

According to Sarna Active Stealth Armour actually reverses the ECM advantage, making it so the unit mounting it takes the requisite penalties.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Wait, so stealth armor actually makes it as if the unit running it is being jammed by ECM? Haha that's pretty good.

That's good for me then, I can run ghost targets on myself and should be able to get a good scan of anything dodgy in those buildings.

Sair
May 11, 2007

goatface posted:

It has a fusion engine, it can do what it wants.

Endomorphic
Jul 25, 2010

Sair posted:

It has a fusion engine, it can do what it wants.
As long as it doesn't want to corner or brake.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The best Rotunda is the one secretly carrying 5 RL-15s.

But to answer the original question: No.

There is no civilian car that can stand up to a hit from even a small laser. Your car, truck, etc is effectively a structure 1 vehicle with no armor. The game would likely technically count you as motorized infantry.

Edit: Other things the game counts as mechanized infantry:
- Motorcycles
- Horses
- Riding Dinosaurs

Meanwhile, Jump Infantry can include:
- Hang Gliders
- Those cute little Cobra escape pods from GI Joe

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 30, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Don't forget the FWL's dragonriders!

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Queue Coop screaming and smashing the ALL OF THE MISSILES button with his face.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'm thinking urban defense. Imagine a multi-story car park laden with dozens, hundreds of these as an effective claymore.

Front towards enemy.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Missing orders for the War Dog. I know you're around, so either the deadline snuck up on you or something happened IRL.

If you need an extension please let me know as soon as you can.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

Missing orders for the War Dog. I know you're around, so either the deadline snuck up on you or something happened IRL.

If you need an extension please let me know as soon as you can.

Deadline snuck up on me, whilst trying to fix my sleep cycle so i can do THINGS. Question about orders are in. Also a go to order if there is any doubt.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Answers sent, I need to go grocery shopping so you've got time. I'll start updating when I get back.

Thread, please help Viva out if they've got any other questions while I'm out.

Edit: And yes, concrete means PSR.

Double Edit: Sneakiness wins? Also, have the most expensive stupid zombie gimmick ever:
code:
Super Charger CGR-100X

Mass: 100 tons
Tech Base: Inner Sphere
Chassis Config: Biped
Rules Level: Era Specific
Era: All Eras (non-canon)
Tech Rating/Era Availability: E/X-X-X-A
Production Year: 0
Cost: 23,565,333 C-Bills
Battle Value: 2,405

Chassis: Unknown Endo-Steel
Power Plant: Unknown 400 Fusion Engine
Walking Speed: 43.2 km/h
Maximum Speed: 64.8 km/h (108.0 km/h)
Jump Jets: None
    Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Unknown Standard Armor
Armament:
    1  TSEMP
Manufacturer: Unknown
    Primary Factory: Unknown
Communications System: Unknown
Targeting and Tracking System: Unknown

================================================================================
Equipment           Type                         Rating                   Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Internal Structure: Endo-Steel                   152 points                5.00
    Internal Locations: 1 LT, 1 RT, 4 LA, 4 RA, 2 LL, 2 RL
Engine:             Fusion Engine                400                      52.50
    Walking MP: 4
    Running MP: 6 (10)
    Jumping MP: 0 
Heat Sinks:         Single Heat Sink             10                        0.00
Gyro:               Standard                                               4.00
Cockpit:            Standard                                               3.00
    Actuators:      L: SH+UA+LA+H    R: SH+UA+LA+H
Armor:              Standard Armor               AV - 304                 19.00

Internal       Armor      
                                                      Structure      Factor     
                                                Head     3            9         
                                        Center Torso     31           48        
                                 Center Torso (rear)                  13        
                                           L/R Torso     21           31        
                                    L/R Torso (rear)                  11        
                                             L/R Arm     17           33        
                                             L/R Leg     21           42        

================================================================================
Equipment                                 Location    Heat    Critical    Mass  
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Supercharger                                 CT        -         1         5.50
MASC                                         RT        -         5         5.00
TSEMP                                        LT        10        5         6.00
                                            Free Critical Slots: 22

BattleForce Statistics
MV      S (+0)  M (+2)  L (+4)  E (+6)   Wt.   Ov   Armor:     10    Points: 24
6          0       0       0       0      4     0   Structure:  8
Special Abilities: ENE, SRCH, ES, SEAL, SOA

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jul 1, 2015

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

PoptartsNinja posted:

Answers sent, I need to go grocery shopping so you've got time. I'll start updating when I get back.

Thread, please help Viva out if they've got any other questions while I'm out.

Edit: And yes, concrete means PSR.

aha, that was probably the next question I was going to ask. I assume all the grey area + roads triggers PSR when running + turning on it.

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
In terms of this LP the ultimate zombie would probably be some manner of tripod (won't die if it loses a leg) with a torso-mounted cockpit (can't be headcapped), an armoured compact gyro (same protection as a heavy duty gyro for less weight) reinforced structure and an all energy loadout. Probably wouldn't have much space left for weapons, but it'd take forever to kill sans a lucky shot to the torso cockpit.

Unless you armour that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5

• Locked thread