Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
I am glad that, as a philosophical exercise, the Beast devs are willing to grudgingly concede the possibility of the Cartesian Hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Why would a good guy oppose a Beast? It just doesn't scan.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Good Heroes refuse to support Onyx Path in this folly.

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009
I really don't get where this is coming from when presumably some of these people helped write the Pure book which managed to make the loving Pure, the man-eating nazi racial purity murder fanatic group, vaguely understandable and relatable while not portraying them as anything other than what they are. Good bad guys have reasons, yo. They're still bad guys.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh, right, and Sleeping Beauty got more sympathetic. She now became a Hero by having her nightmare invaded by a giant loving monster, fighting it and chasing it back to its Lair, where she killed it. Being a Hero is explicitly what is keeping her alive, and she's not even really planning to do anything more when she gets back to her body because all she can think about is survival in Eternal Nightmare Hell.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Mors Rattus posted:

Oh, right, and Sleeping Beauty got more sympathetic. She now became a Hero by having her nightmare invaded by a giant loving monster, fighting it and chasing it back to its Lair, where she killed it. Being a Hero is explicitly what is keeping her alive, and she's not even really planning to do anything more when she gets back to her body because all she can think about is survival in Eternal Nightmare Hell.

So in other words, they're devoting wordcount to a character that their Hero rules explicitly tell you not to use in the course of your game of Beast. That's an interesting approach.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The actual reason is that any sincere examination of why good people oppose Beasts reveals that Beasts are a one-dimensional, immature power fantasy about bullying on a legendary scale. It's incompatible with the premise that the Beasts are "the good guys," so it's not allowed to exist.

The idea that Beasts can be fought with therapy is the most interesting thing to come out of this.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
So lets get this straight: this is still a game about being a wiccan or otherkin or furry or something on the internet and getting owned and it's still going to press

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Not quite. Beasts are now humans who get their human souls eaten and replaced by a horrible nightmare monster.

This is something to be celebrated, apparently.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've written off Beast at this point; when I heard about the rewrite I was optimistic, but it seems it's just a new coat of paint over the issues everyone had. Hopefully this is an anomaly and the rest of Onyx Path's stuff tends closer to Demon than Beast in quality, but I'm a lot less confident in them after everything I've seen.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.

Mors Rattus posted:

Not quite. Beasts are now humans who get their human souls eaten and replaced by a horrible nightmare monster.

This is something to be celebrated, apparently.

This is funny, because the new Hero sidebar once again says Beasts were Born This Way.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

The thing is that a Beast as portrayed in the game ought to be the end-state your character is doing everything in her power to avoid becoming: a power-mad rear end in a top hat slave to an ancient creature's vices. It should be this game's Oblivion, or Final Death.

The pre-Homecoming character ought to be where the game happens. That's where there's internal conflicts and a relatable protagonist for non-sociopath players. "How am I going to brutally humiliate this normie?" isn't as interesting as "How do I hold onto my identity?"

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

You know what I think would be a cool direction to take Beast in? So you willingly let your soul get devoured because you were sensitive enough to pick up the vibrations of the Primordial Dream. What if the Primordial Dream was literally a singular entity with the Beasts as little feelers or movers and shakers in the realm of mortals and it was basically demanding that you feed it somehow, some way. It's a hive mind that gives its operatives leeway and free will to get poo poo done and teach lessons and stories but the Primordial Dream needs fear and understanding to survive and thrive. And when you deny the choice you made to do this or try to wrest total control away, it's not your nightmare soul that's the one going on a rampage to feed. It's the part of your soul that is your auditor and monitor from the Dream. They have sat up in their chair, put down the clip-board and taken over, confining you to the narrative of the Dream and making you do these things because you've essentially done your job poorly and they have a food quota to meet. And the auditor doesn't act subtly. It wants results, so it does things that immediate get results, which puts people on edge, which makes Heroes, who are essentially people exposed to an overwhelmingly vulgar display of power and it hammers the "WHAT YOU ARE WITNESSING IS WRONG" button in their lizard brains.

It's a game about being employed by the Mother of Monsters in her Unified Nightmare Consciousness because they asked you if you wanted a job and cool powers and you said yes without looking into it too much. If you don't do your job, your supervisor forces you to do it, which makes things around you get agitated and heated. So you either do your job reasonably, subtly and satisfactorily while you have control over your ability to do it, you lose that control (and every time you lose that control, you lose it for longer and longer until your personality and control is outsourced and there's only the supervisor feeding the Consciousness) or you try to find a way to quit/be your own boss without dying or being hunted in the process.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I still don't get why the endstate of Apothesis is going to be desireable to anyone who's even remotely human. Seriously, either make beasts a positive force in the world and give them an endstate that actually helps the world. Or make them monstrous and let the antagonists have a point.

You can't do both.

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."

moths posted:

The thing is that a Beast as portrayed in the game ought to be the end-state your character is doing everything in her power to avoid becoming: a power-mad rear end in a top hat slave to an ancient creature's vices. It should be this game's Oblivion, or Final Death.

The pre-Homecoming character ought to be where the game happens. That's where there's internal conflicts and a relatable protagonist for non-sociopath players. "How am I going to brutally humiliate this normie?" isn't as interesting as "How do I hold onto my identity?"

At the very least, confirm that Beasts don't have to buy into the whole "roast in hell, Brad" thing, and that it's possible for them to -- like vampires -- be attempting to satisfy hungers that offend them on a basic moral level. As is, all the interesting moral conflict from most nWoD material -- "what will you do to survive," "does instinct make what you're doing right," "how far will you go to escape," "does humanity deserve power" -- has been given definitive and largely unsatisfying answers.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
You know, they really could have just solved many of their problems with Heroes in literally one sentence: "Good Heroes hunt Bad Beasts, while Bad Heroes hunt Good Beasts."

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

pkfan2004 posted:

You know what I think would be a cool direction to take Beast in? So you willingly let your soul get devoured because you were sensitive enough to pick up the vibrations of the Primordial Dream. What if the Primordial Dream was literally a singular entity with the Beasts as little feelers or movers and shakers in the realm of mortals and it was basically demanding that you feed it somehow, some way. It's a hive mind that gives its operatives leeway and free will to get poo poo done and teach lessons and stories but the Primordial Dream needs fear and understanding to survive and thrive. And when you deny the choice you made to do this or try to wrest total control away, it's not your nightmare soul that's the one going on a rampage to feed. It's the part of your soul that is your auditor and monitor from the Dream. They have sat up in their chair, put down the clip-board and taken over, confining you to the narrative of the Dream and making you do these things because you've essentially done your job poorly and they have a food quota to meet. And the auditor doesn't act subtly. It wants results, so it does things that immediate get results, which puts people on edge, which makes Heroes, who are essentially people exposed to an overwhelmingly vulgar display of power and it hammers the "WHAT YOU ARE WITNESSING IS WRONG" button in their lizard brains.

It's a game about being employed by the Mother of Monsters in her Unified Nightmare Consciousness because they asked you if you wanted a job and cool powers and you said yes without looking into it too much. If you don't do your job, your supervisor forces you to do it, which makes things around you get agitated and heated. So you either do your job reasonably, subtly and satisfactorily while you have control over your ability to do it, you lose that control (and every time you lose that control, you lose it for longer and longer until your personality and control is outsourced and there's only the supervisor feeding the Consciousness) or you try to find a way to quit/be your own boss without dying or being hunted in the process.

This is interesting. It'd also make crossovers between beasts and demons a lot better than "they both hate each other, with good reason on the part of the demons towards beasts"; demons would be either extremely sympathetic towards beasts like that, or worried as hell because they're basically the Primordial Dream's angels. Possibly both; beasts, rather than Falling, get hijacked when they try to rebel, which is both likely rather disturbing to demons and a major "watch the gently caress out" quality.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

SunAndSpring posted:

You know, they really could have just solved many of their problems with Heroes in literally one sentence: "Good Heroes hunt Bad Beasts, while Bad Heroes hunt Good Beasts."

Since the intent appears to be for people to play Bad Beasts, this wouldn't stroke their egos by making them the unjust victims of baseless hate.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Basic beasts.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mors Rattus posted:

How does anyone on God's green earth write this character and think 'this is the bad guy'? This is the kind of character people want to play! Sympathetic goal, horror scenario, probably some neat powers and weird ethereal struggles, that's all stuff people want, isn't it?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Roland Jones posted:

This is interesting. It'd also make crossovers between beasts and demons a lot better than "they both hate each other, with good reason on the part of the demons towards beasts"; demons would be either extremely sympathetic towards beasts like that, or worried as hell because they're basically the Primordial Dream's angels. Possibly both; beasts, rather than Falling, get hijacked when they try to rebel, which is both likely rather disturbing to demons and a major "watch the gently caress out" quality.
Essentially yeah, I was thinking of Beasts as the Demon story told backwards. Falling as a Demon is easy because you're making a decision to quit that is as easy as flipping a switch or pulling a plug and going rogue, then the entire game is the aftermath and fallout of your decision and what you're going to do with your life. With this proposed Beast, your control tube is built into your body and your soul. You can't remove them. Maybe you can find a way to isolate your auditor and seal it away inside of you so it can't broadcast anymore, maybe you have to rip out someone else's soul and use it instead, maybe you just have to kill or cripple your own soul. But until then, you have to do your job and the majority of the game would be doing that job and figuring out if you want to keep doing it and if not, how to stop. Demons can't get away from the God Machine easily. But I'd imagine that a proposed Beast could get away from the Mother of Monsters for good if they could properly sever or hide or change their fundamental being. She can't read your soul anymore, she can't feel your vibrations, the other Beasts are going to lie to her as best as they can and stop their auditors from paying your existence any mind. But you're free and your fight truly is over.

E: also there's some Mummy influence in there too.

Vox Valentine fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 29, 2015

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Night10194 posted:

How does anyone on God's green earth write this character and think 'this is the bad guy'? This is the kind of character people want to play! Sympathetic goal, horror scenario, probably some neat powers and weird ethereal struggles, that's all stuff people want, isn't it?

The arguments I've seen so far for why Melanie is awful sum up to "she must have known that the Beast's attempt to rip apart her dream flesh wouldn't actually cause permanent physical damage to her, and that when she chased down the monster and killed it she was actually killing a person."

Even ignoring the fact that Heroes don't perceive Beasts as humans, but as monsters masquerading in flesh, the idea that self-defense is evil when Heroes are doing it but good when it's Beasts protecting themselves is really one of my main issues with this game. It's a ridiculous double standard that no one seems willing to admit or address.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

quote:

Hi, Matt here. I know I haven't said much on the Kickstarter since it started, I've been hard at work revising Beast. Some sections - most, really - haven't taken much. I was mostly happy with the game as written, but as Rich and I have said, it became clear once the text went up that my intent didn't come through, and some sections needed some further work.

You run the risk, of course, in trying to please too many people of pleasing no one. However, the feedback I've gotten on the revisions has been, on the whole, very positive. What's more important, I like the game better now. I have a better sense of what kinds of stories you can tell with Beast, and I'm looking forward to finishing revisions of the Storytelling chapter.

I wanted to mention something: Thaddeus, the Hero with the arrested development, hasn't changed much. His motives are a little different, he's been toned down, but he still carries a sword and he still says "milady." I really did consider whether to change him more completely, or cut him entirely. I decided, in the end, to leave him in.

Ultimately, if one theme Beast is personal development, Thaddeus is showing its opposite, the way a good antagonist represents qualities (good or bad) that the protagonist lacks. He's a person who sees a particular facet of the supernatural and then sees no other way to express his feelings except violently, but also to make that expression all about himself.

Thaddeus doesn't want to save anyone from monsters, he just wants to be the one that kills them. Marian doesn't want to understand her son, she just wants to be righteous. Desmond (new Hero!) doesn't want to protect people, he just wants to hunt down monsters. Melanie...well, Melanie is kind of a special case, because as you'll see if you check the Intro again, one of the themes here is "No Neat Little Boxes."
Really now? Is that why all the not-murderous Heroes conveniently only exist offscreen?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

His intent was plenty clear: lovely revenge fantasy simulator with gross, weird poo poo in it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SunAndSpring posted:

Have they actually made there be a way for a Beast to be Good? Because it sounds from over here like they just put a different coat of paint on top of the irredeemable monsters.

Poltergrift posted:

Even ignoring the fact that Heroes don't perceive Beasts as humans, but as monsters masquerading in flesh
... Isn't that perception completely accurate?

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

Zereth posted:

... Isn't that perception completely accurate?

Poor wording -- I meant that they don't perceive beasts as sentient people, but as big brainless horned gribblies wearing human disguises.

Which, y'know, the only incorrect part is "brainless." A Beast has moral value on some level, but they don't have the deontological protection of the innocent; if killing them is the best way to prevent widespread harm that is equal to or greater than the harm that they cause by existing, then that's the thing that we are morally obligated to do.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Kant: The Categorical Imperativing.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
Thaddeus Did Nothing Wrong.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Galt: The Migration.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I really pity the people who backed the Kickstarter but haven't spoiled themselves on the book or on any related material. That said, I'm definitely looking forward to potential reaction threads :allears:

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Poltergrift posted:

Poor wording -- I meant that they don't perceive beasts as sentient people, but as big brainless horned gribblies wearing human disguises.

Which, y'know, the only incorrect part is "brainless." A Beast has moral value on some level, but they don't have the deontological protection of the innocent; if killing them is the best way to prevent widespread harm that is equal to or greater than the harm that they cause by existing, then that's the thing that we are morally obligated to do.

The hypocrisy of Beast, now, is that the rules-as-written require Heroes to be philosophical zombies in order to justify the Beasts as protagonists, yet stated moral failing of Heroes is that they consider BEASTS to be philosophical zombies. This goes hand-in-hand with the submission that Heroes are an allegory against those that refuse to grow, change, and evolve... but I've yet to see a Beast presented that isn't a simple proceduralist repeating the same basic system of abuse to 'teach' the same 'lesson' over & over again.

The continued incongruity of the central story is showing that the piecemeal revision process is not fixing Beast: the Primordial. A puerile revenge fantasy should be more honest to the reader and present the game as a tool for expressing these ideas upfront, rather than hiding behind baroque language and portraying itself as the 'hero of progress'.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

It's really hard to read because Kickstarter's layout is terrible, but when you subtract the goal from the amount of money raised, I think this has been one of OP's least profitable Kickstarters. I know the various Vampire supplement Kickstarters have made a lot less, but it's making less than half of what Demon raised.

Kavak fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jun 29, 2015

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Cabbit posted:

Kant: The Categorical Imperativing.

I'd play a game about philosophers fighting each other using their philosophies as super-powers.

User: Karl Marx
Stand: Das Kapital

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd play a game about philosophers fighting each other using their philosophies as super-powers.

If only there was a system other than FATE that could emulate JoJo in its full and absolute glory.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Xelkelvos posted:

If only there was a system other than FATE that could emulate JoJo in its full and absolute glory.

Godlike/Wild Talents? Do the Stands as really weird powers bought with limited points.

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

MonsieurChoc posted:

Bloop

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Kavak posted:

It's really hard to read because Kickstarter's layout is terrible, but when you subtract the goal from the amount of money raised, I think this has been one of OP's least profitable Kickstarters. I know the various Vampire supplement Kickstarters have made a lot less, but it's making less than half of what Demon raised.

I think I see the math you're performing and it checks out, but I'm not necessarily sure that subtracting the initial goal from the final take is an accurate estimate of overall profitability. Setting aside the fact that Demon's initial goal was $10k less than Beast's, it depends on how many backers have gone for which reward, as the reward tiers that ship physical books bleed some of that take to fulfill. If I had to guess, I'd peg Beast as having performed around on par with Mummy, looking like it's going to end significantly behind Demon but not in a glaringly obvious, panic-inducing way. But gently caress, take my guess with an enormous grain of salt.

Man. Saying this as a usual detractor of Mummy: the Curse, it still didn't deserve to place somewhere next to Beast.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6nI1v7mwwA

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

MonsieurChoc posted:

Since I got sniped on Existentialist Comics, I will say that Albert Camus's stand, The Stranger, would probably end up one of the particularly weird ones like Super Fly.

Jojo owns. Geist 2e should use Jojo in its inspirations, or at least keep Persona 3 because Persona is more or less "how do we do Jojo, only slightly less insane?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Daeren posted:

Since I got sniped on Existentialist Comics, I will say that Albert Camus's stand, The Stranger, would probably end up one of the particularly weird ones like Super Fly.

Jojo owns. Geist 2e should use Jojo in its inspirations, or at least keep Persona 3 because Persona is more or less "how do we do Jojo, only slightly less insane?"

Give bonus xp if your Geist has a name that's a reference to a song or musical artist.