Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I did not like deadly premonitions. A ghost jumped down my throat and then I drove to a hotel and I got bored as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Lotish posted:

TDTGD: There's no Broken Steel equivalent for New Vegas that lets you play in the Mojave after the Battle at the Dam.

As I recall, there was supposed to be one, and there's cut dialogue in the game's files to support it, but it got scrapped. It might have been that they couldn't reconcile the different factions and choices, and instead wrote their plans for the post-game stuff into the patented Fallout Ending Slideshow.

The Fallout 3 postgame was easier, since the story didn't branch in any way, but realizing (for example) how Caesar's plans for Vegas as his New Rome clashes with the Followers' of the Apocalypse will to provide cheap health care would have been much more difficult.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

SiKboy posted:

Mothership Zeta (which is by the way terrible)

I keep reading this and don't understand why it is popular opinion. It's in a different setting, you get really OP guns and a bunch of ammo for them, and you get freaking samurai armor and a katana. Every time I played it I enjoyed it much more than The Pitt or Point Lookout.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

im pooping! posted:

I keep reading this and don't understand why it is popular opinion. It's in a different setting, you get really OP guns and a bunch of ammo for them, and you get freaking samurai armor and a katana. Every time I played it I enjoyed it much more than The Pitt or Point Lookout.
I haven't ever played it, but I remember someone mentioning that a log in Zeta suggests that the nuclear war was in fact kicked off by alien interference, which would be a bit of an annoying wrench in the series' central philosophical conceit that people always gently caress things up.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

im pooping! posted:

I don't think it's the worst but full of bullet sponge enemies with limited skins, repetitive maps and very little to do beyond shoot said bullet sponges over and over. I did like the bit with the room full of robot horses though.

Battle for Anchorage was probably worse with the on-rails shooter sections that felt nothing like the rest of the game. Saved only by the post-dlc loot which was awesome.

Point Lookout also suffered from bullet sponges but at least there were a few variants of them and the writing was pretty strong overall. I liked the mad ghoul vs the living brain battle, and the drugs section got a laugh out of me first time round.

Pitt was eh, I liked the big open smelter area, and the rooftop city, but they didn't exactly explore the full potential. Two or three characters, a whole bunch of faceless raiders/slaves and a fetch quest.

Edit: ^^ the alien apocalypse idea was poo poo sandwich too.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

im pooping! posted:

Its a slog. Bullet sponge enemies were already mentioned, definately not helped by the fact there is zero variety in the enemies. The environments are... Well, pretty much generic "Alien Spaceship", and boy I sure hope you have some points in energy weapons because that is pretty much all there loving is in this goddamn DLC. Oh, and if you want all of the logs you better make sure to look up a guide because a couple of them are in areas that you are locked out of once you leave. Its just not very good on any level unless you happen to be running an energy weapons character and were in the mood for spending 5 minutes killing a force fielded grey alien over and over and over again. I liked all the other DLCs to a greater or lesser extent, but I spent about 200 hours playing fallout 3, with at least 3 different characters and Zeta is the one piece of DLC I only ran through once.

Strudel Man posted:

I haven't ever played it, but I remember someone mentioning that a log in Zeta suggests that the nuclear war was in fact kicked off by alien interference, which would be a bit of an annoying wrench in the series' central philosophical conceit that people always gently caress things up.

I'm sure there are people who get annoyed about that, but I enjoy the fallout games without taking their universe even a little bit seriously, so if the gameplay of the DLC had been even a little bit fun I could forgive a lot of messing with the "lore" such as it is.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

When Scrolls launched it was dragged down by being a Free to Play game that cost $27 dollars. Now it's dragged down by having no further development and whatever community is left inevitably abandoning it. In a year it will be dragged down by having the servers shut off. RIP. That's what you get for ripping off Bethesda.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I am an ardent defender of Fallout 3 and I still think it's more fun than New Vegas but all of its DLC except Broken Steel is goddamn terrible and a complete waste other than the overpowered items.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I thought The Pitt was pretty good but they hosed up by not having better quests around the mill/steelyard area. You can easily run in, find 10 ingots, and leave without really experiencing one of the neater locations in the game.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

J-Spot posted:

I thought The Pitt was pretty good but they hosed up by not having better quests around the mill/steelyard area. You can easily run in, find 10 ingots, and leave without really experiencing one of the neater locations in the game.

Not if you want the :supaburn: METAL BLASTER :supaburn:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

It really doesn't, but raging nerds have built it way way up as the log going "YES WE STARTED IT AND WE'LL DO IT AGAIN HEHEHEHEHE".

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The thing is that he's absolutely right, ever since Oblivion the hardcore fans have been complaining about the fact that in Bethesda games just about any kind of character can do every quest in the game with little conflict or repercussion and how they need to be more like Morrowind and New Vegas and have actual story consequences for your decisions and lock you off from content. I guess now that he's actually agreeing with them it's no longer the case?

Krinkle posted:

I got the impression from context of people talking about it that D4 was good? But this thing I saw was bad. It was real bad. I have a hard time believing anything that preceded this could possibly not also be bad?

Lowtax's review of Deadly Premonition is still one of the best pieces of writing to ever come from the front page.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sleeveless posted:

The thing is that he's absolutely right, ever since Oblivion the hardcore fans have been complaining about the fact that in Bethesda games just about any kind of character can do every quest in the game with little conflict or repercussion and how they need to be more like Morrowind and New Vegas and have actual story consequences for your decisions and lock you off from content. I guess now that he's actually agreeing with them it's no longer the case?

It is sort of ridiculous how you can always become the archmage while knowing virtually no magic.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

The Moon Monster posted:

It is sort of ridiculous how you can always become the archmage while knowing virtually no magic.

I don't think you need to sneak to be an assassin I mean that one guy there just turns into a wolf and murders whoever. Loud as hell is acceptable to the silent brotherhood.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Krinkle posted:

I don't think you need to sneak to be an assassin I mean that one guy there just turns into a wolf and murders whoever. Loud as hell is acceptable to the silent brotherhood.

Yeah, but being an assassin pretty much just requires being able to kill somebody. Like, you have a goal, which is "There is a dude in a place, make that dude dead". Being the greatest wizard in the land is the kind of thing that would require actually being a wizard.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

The Moon Monster posted:

If you play in the right order it's possible to become the head of the mage's guild and then do a mission for the thieves' guild where you rob yourself.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

These fans want choices and consequences relating to your character build, strengths and weaknesses, under the belief that in an RPG it's dumb for your character to be a jack-of-all-trades who's perfect at everything. there is like 0% chance Todd is talking about that rather than removing player agency and making the main quest an epic linear emotional rollercoaster

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

These fans want choices and consequences relating to your character build, strengths and weaknesses, under the belief that in an RPG it's dumb for your character to be a jack-of-all-trades who's perfect at everything. there is like 0% chance Todd is talking about that rather than removing player agency and making the main quest an epic linear emotional rollercoaster

except judging by how much more Bethesda games sell than say Obsidian games, no it turns out people who play video games do want that

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Alouicious posted:

except judging by how much more Bethesda games sell than say Obsidian games, no it turns out people who play video games do want that

Their competition is Bioware, not Obsidian, and that's who they're cribbing from.

Not that it makes that decision any smarter; they have the highest-selling non-Pokemon RPG ever made, currently sitting at #28 of all time. The only other RPG that's even on that list at all is Diablo 3, which at last figures only had 75% of Skyrim's sales. Finding figures on Bioware games is like pulling teeth, but suffice to say this is like Nintendo going 'for our next Mario game we need to borrow heavily from Shovel Knight'. Only probably worse, because nothing Mario could take from Shovel Knight would be all that bad to incorporate, while Bethesda are taking something from Bioware that just isn't really going to work for their own game.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

it'll probably be fine

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Alouicious posted:

it'll probably be fine
Nah, the plot and characters will probably will be garbage but the world will be interesting enough to explore like 3. It probably won't be a bad game at all, because I liked 3 and I can't see how they can screw it up, but I doubt there will be a lot that differentiates it from 3 structure-wise because Bethesda pretty much just makes the same games again and again and it gets bland really quickly once you've played one. I might buy the GOTY edition in a few years from now when its dirt cheap, but I'm sure not getting my hopes up for it.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 03:24 on Jun 30, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

Nah, the plot and characters will probably will be garbage but the world will be interesting enough to explore like 3. It probably won't be a bad game at all, because I liked 3 and I can't say they can screw it up, but I doubt there will be a lot that differentiates it from 3 structure-wise because Bethesda pretty just makes the same games again and again and it gets bland really quickly once you've played one. I might buy the GOTY edition in a few years from now when its dirt cheap, but I'm sure not getting my hopes up for it.

you sound like a cool guy who's fun to chill out with

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

Alouicious posted:

it'll probably be fine

I'll probably enjoy it until people tell me why I shouldn't.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Alouicious posted:

you sound like a cool guy who's fun to chill out with
I try.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alouicious posted:

it'll probably be fine

And it'll stay fine till it hits PC and becomes amazing via being modifiable as well then.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Alouicious posted:

it'll probably be fine

Yeah, it probably will, but that doesn't mean I can't think 'this is probably a bad move that will ultimately lead to a product I don't want as much'.

'It'll probably be fine' actually exemplifies the thing I most dislike about Bethesda's current position. That's really the best stance to have, because they don't have competition. It's not like with GTA, where you can go 'well I don't really like the direction Grand Theft Auto is taking, think I'll bring my money to Saint's Row instead'. Nobody else is making open-world RPGs, or games with tremendous mod focus/support, so if you like that sort of game and don't like a choice Bethesda made your only options are 'abandon that genre you like' or 'suck it up and deal with it'.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I dunno man Witcher 3 is pretty goddamn fantastic. Bethesda games do have better mod support though.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I wonder if the player character dialogue in fallout 4 is almost a reaction to witcher 3, because now that it's out and everyone adores it, anybody making an open world game can't prevent getting endlessly compared to it. And it set a pretty high bar to beat.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nah if anything they're taking the idea from Mass Effect.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Fallout 3 was awesome for just wandering. NV was very bad at wandering. I would like to wander in 4.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Bethesda games own and I can't wait to play fallout 4

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I wonder if the player character dialogue in fallout 4 is almost a reaction to witcher 3, because now that it's out and everyone adores it, anybody making an open world game can't prevent getting endlessly compared to it. And it set a pretty high bar to beat.

That would really be something considering that they were holding auditions for the player character a year before Witcher 3 even came out.

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Byzantine posted:

NV was very bad

Somewhere, a goon's eye is twitching and he doesn't know why

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i don't hate bethesda games writing, because i recognize what they are trying to do and know that it is, on the whole, pretty drat effective with most people. they try to create Memorable Moments, which can go pretty drat well (Liberty Prime), or it can blow up in their face. they're not trying to create a realistic world, they're creating entertaining backdrops and setpieces. you can most easily see this in the marked locations between 3 and NV. in 3, most of the marked location has some kind of Thing about it, there's something there to make it notable. NV's locations are generally there to add flavor to the greater world, even if they offer nothing else.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Byzantine posted:

Fallout 3 was awesome for just wandering. NV was very bad at wandering. I would like to wander in 4.

Yup. Storylines and questing is cool and all but sometimes I just want to wander around and stumble on raiders attacking a couple wastelanders or a vertibird dropping off some enclave idiots for me to snipe.

Check out the huge discrepancy in random events: FO3 v FNV

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 06:10 on Jun 30, 2015

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I enjoyed fallout 3 way more than new vegas and I'm saying this here because this currently seems to be the only thread on the forums where I can say that without getting mobbed by people for insulting new vegas' pristine storytelling, which is delivered by a disturbingly zoomed-in camera shot of a horrifying rubber puppet droning in a very disinterested voice.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I also enjoyed FO3 more than FNV. I spent way more time just loving about in the wilderness and exploring and actually feeling like a wasteland wanderer than in FNV. It seemed like I couldn't do much exploring in FNV.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Alouicious posted:

I wouldn't really call Bethesda games the latter either though? It's a Bioware thing and it sounds like they're finally about to for some of that sweet Mass Effect money, but they haven't really before now

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, but being an assassin pretty much just requires being able to kill somebody. Like, you have a goal, which is "There is a dude in a place, make that dude dead". Being the greatest wizard in the land is the kind of thing that would require actually being a wizard.
*Beats you over the head with a glowing club that steals souls and yells at you in a language that makes you flop over like a loon or sets you on fire while a dead-eyed follower of theirs just stares through space and time.*
:byodood: ADMIT I AM THE GREETEST WIZARD EVER.

I'd agree with them to honestly if they could do that.

Cleretic posted:

But that's the best part of the games themselves you gently caress god damnit

I'm not going to pre-emptively say that their attempt to give the protagonist in Fallout 4 a voice and personality is going to drag that game down, but I'm not optimistic.
Even Beth would have to put some serious effort in to be worse than WATCHED_DAWGS Aidan Pierce *Now featuring his iconic cap!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah mean the farts

I really did not respect the overarching threat of caesar in new vegas I thought centurians were pointlessly silly like goddamn. Did you have to scrape the barrel so deep for fascist imagery? Roman helms would probably be very hard to make and be pointlessly hot to wear in the desert. Unless you raided a wax museum of literally only ancient rome why would you ever make ancient rome your new gang's "thing"? If you're gonna clash themes with my post apocalyptic adventure so loving badly at least make it worth it. The whole thing felt like a history major was constantly elbowing me in the ribs expecting me to get references to rubicons and ides of march but I didn't see any references so it was doubly frustrating as my innate sense of inferiority made me wonder if I knew history better I'd appreciate this more.

Every time the main plot crept in I rolled my eyes and tried to explore somewhere else, putting off dealing with the kaiser as long as possible.