Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
If I make everyone a scrapbook of their posts will y'all stop killing this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Dahn posted:

Cops treat each other differently then they treat citizens. This is not a new concept, nor is it surprising.

I find it funny that in this instance, we are finding fault with the cops for "not" being trigger happy.

This thread has seriously spent over 5 pages wishing cops were more trigger happy, it would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

It's basically a case study in intellectual dishonesty at this point, unless this thread is just filled with autistic robots.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

tsa posted:

This thread has seriously spent over 5 pages wishing cops were more trigger happy, it would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

It's basically a case study in intellectual dishonesty at this point, unless this thread is just filled with autistic robots.

Way to misrepresent what everyone said or meant.

CheesyDog posted:

If I make everyone a scrapbook of their posts will y'all stop killing this thread?

According to the Supreme Court, words don't have meaning anymore. Everyone can just spew words out and it doesn't matter because they mean nothing.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
Do do do, hmm, what's going on in the police thread?

:yikes:

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy

tsa posted:

Wanting cops to use lethal force to get a critically injured woman medical attention just means you value her life. It doesn't mean you want the shooter to die, or for cops to be more trigger happy, and it's a bit ironic that you can't process that.

It's a complete strawman that people don't think lethal force is ever justified.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

ActusRhesus posted:

stop thinking like a lawyer. Not everyone ITT has 200K to throw at law school.
Again, can you please, at least once, tell us your thoughts on how this occurred, and what unique problems your *special prosecutorial eye* sees about how the police should have acted? It's clear that what you think responding police should have done differently contrasts with what most posters itt feel, but when you only snidely argue like so, while never actually saying what you think, you come across as actually defending how the situation occurred 100%.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

tsa posted:

What do you think is dishonest? (besides your own post purposely misunderstanding the point everyone else was making?)

People don't want police to gun down 12 year olds within 2 seconds of crashing onto the scene.
People do want police to stop their own from inflicting harm on others.
People do want the police to care more about victims of police abuse than the officer the abuse.
People don't want police to be the escalator to violence.
People do want police to treat civilians like human beings.

Pretty straight forward.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

tsa posted:

I feel like, in many situations, officer involved shootings are totally justifiable, if not honorable. Like, with the escaped convicts in New York, I'm sure nearly an insignificant minority of posters may argue against such force. We often argue against shootings which we feel were totally pointless or preventable on the part of officers, because such officers behaving in contrast to their training and sworn responsibilities is one thing this thread is about.

In New Jersey, responding police totally disregarded their sworn duty because their coworker was a shooter. They hesitated while their partner began shooting at his fleeing wife, and towards the officers, on a second occasion. They then 'hesitated' for half an hour while he actively refused to let medical personnel see his dying wife. Responding officers made an active choice to save their currently-murdering coworker over even trying to rescue his wife. This scares me a lot, and I don't feel dishonest thinking like the situation was mishandled.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 30, 2015

Lyesh
Apr 9, 2003

tsa posted:

"Shooter standing over woman he shot as she bleeds to death, threatening anyone who attempts to aid her" is basically the occasion that cops need guns for, if they need guns at all.

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

Either you can be for cops shooting everything they see, or else you want them to not have guns at all. This is totally black and white

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

tentative8e8op posted:

Again, can you please, at least once, tell us your thoughts on how this occurred, and what unique problems your *special prosecutorial eye* sees about how the police should have acted? It's clear that what you think responding police should have done differently contrasts with what most posters itt feel, but when you only snidely argue like so, while never actually saying what you think, you come across as actually defending how the situation occurred 100%.

What could/should the department have done? Utilized intrusive leadership philosophies and realized they had an escalating DV situation on their hands before it got to this point in the first place.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Booourns posted:

Either you can be for cops shooting everything they see, or else you want them to not have guns at all. This is totally black and white

I would be okay with them tasing this dude too.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Booourns posted:

What you need are killbots. They will be indiscriminate, lacking the biases of their meatbag counterparts meaning they will shoot all people equally. Everybody wins!

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

ActusRhesus posted:

What could/should the department have done? Utilized intrusive leadership philosophies and realized they had an escalating DV situation on their hands before it got to this point in the first place.

While I agree that it shouldn't have reached this point in the first place, that wasn't the question and you know it. What do you think the police should have done provided the situation had already escalated to where it did?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

oohhboy posted:

What you need are killbots. They will be indiscriminate, lacking the biases of their meatbag counterparts meaning they will shoot all people equally. Everybody wins!

You FOOL! What if they discover that killbots have a preset kill limit and they send wave after wave of their own men until the killbots automatically shut down?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

ActusRhesus posted:

Yes, everyone here feels so. I think that, once his murder began, what you feel responding police should have done conflicts with what others feel should have been done. Since you're arguing against criticism of such officers, I'm curious how you feel such officers should have handled the situation.

I'm sorry if I seem like I'm like targeting you specifically. I just feel like a prosecutor seeing things so differently from me may have reasoning or some insight I dont have, and I'm frustrated you'd rather call us dumb for not attending law school than share your understanding.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

tentative8e8op posted:

Yes, everyone here feels so. I think that, once his murder began, what you feel responding police should have done conflicts with what others feel should have been done. Since you're arguing against criticism of such officers, I'm curious how you feel such officers should have handled the situation.

I'm sorry if I seem like I'm like targeting you specifically. I just feel like a prosecutor seeing things so differently from me may have reasoning or some insight I dont have, and I'm frustrated you'd rather call us dumb for not attending law school than share your understanding.

The police did nothing wrong, they were not legally required to save anyone's life and taking a life is at their total discretion, no problem here.

Barvo
Feb 19, 2008

by Ralp
Lmao this is like the one time when the police should have used deadly force.

And of course a prosecutor is going to side with the police here, even the best lawyers get fixated on and lost in the system and lose the perspective that lets them see what's just and proper. It's not a personal failing, its how institutions play out.

Tarantula
Nov 4, 2009

No go ahead stand in the fire, the healer will love the shit out of you.
Couple dollars is something to arrest people over now it seems.
http://www.rawstory.com/2015/06/watch-mob-of-philly-cops-assault-man-holding-crying-baby-for-not-paying-his-2-25-transit-fare/

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

tsa posted:

If using potentially lethal force to stop a murder in progress is "trigger happy" we might as well just disarm cops right now, because apparently there's no situation in which it isn't recklessly trigger-happy to fire their sidearm.

Ima Grip And Sip
Oct 19, 2014

:sherman:

Hard to write a fair evasion ticket to a guy who repeatedly tells the cop "Get the gently caress out of my face".

Guy is told he's under arrest and has one handcuff placed on him, and is walked off the train. All is fine until he very obviously starts to pull away outside the train. Then he tries to use his daughter as a shield, putting his daughter between him and the cops and then up against the wall. All the while the one cop and what I assume is a bystander on the left are trying to hold her for him and he's still continuing to pull away. So no, he wasn't arrested for the "couple dollars", he's arrested for everything else he decided was a good idea.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

If using potentially lethal force to stop a murder in progress is "trigger happy" we might as well just disarm cops right now, because apparently there's no situation in which it isn't recklessly trigger-happy to fire their sidearm.

I cannot understand how "since you have the authority to use deadly force with impunity, how about you use it in those vanishingly rare instances where it's actually appropriate, rather than hundreds of times when it is not" can possibly be construed as "get trigger happy." Either we're dealing with disingenuous liars or people with cognitive processing disorders.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Ima Grip And Sip posted:

Hard to write a fair evasion ticket to a guy who repeatedly tells the cop "Get the gently caress out of my face".

Guy is told he's under arrest and has one handcuff placed on him, and is walked off the train. All is fine until he very obviously starts to pull away outside the train. Then he tries to use his daughter as a shield, putting his daughter between him and the cops and then up against the wall. All the while the one cop and what I assume is a bystander on the left are trying to hold her for him and he's still continuing to pull away. So no, he wasn't arrested for the "couple dollars", he's arrested for everything else he decided was a good idea.

The chief doesn't seem to agree with you. But excellent spin; have you considered working for a police union? They're never bashful about defending atrocious conduct that not even the department itself will defend.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

tsa posted:

No, I dont think they have. They've been pretty accurate in saying that for once the police would have been justified in shooting someone but didn't because of a multitude of reasons.

The people saying the responding officers are murderers though are posting in bad faith.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

SedanChair posted:

I cannot understand how "since you have the authority to use deadly force with impunity, how about you use it in those vanishingly rare instances where it's actually appropriate, rather than hundreds of times when it is not" can possibly be construed as "get trigger happy." Either we're dealing with disingenuous liars or people with cognitive processing disorders.

"normal people resist gunning their coworker and friend down, local :spergin: befuddled"

How should the police behave when a guy they're confronting and trying to talk to just tells them to gently caress off over and over? Also what a dumb title

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

SedanChair posted:

The chief doesn't seem to agree with you. But excellent spin; have you considered working for a police union? They're never bashful about defending atrocious conduct that not even the department itself will defend.

This is totally unfair to police union reps, because they have a duty to defend their clients to their utmost ability no matter how guilty they appear, and aren't doing it for free on the internet.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Jun 30, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

semper wifi posted:

"normal people resist gunning their coworker and friend down, local :spergin: befuddled"

How should the police behave when a guy they're confronting and trying to talk to just tells them to gently caress off over and over? Also what a dumb title

Lol
*police brutalize an unarmed man*
"He was talking back, with curse words! They had no choice!"

*police watch a murder happen, and then let the killer return for the coup de grace*
"He was their buddy, so that's fine!"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Look maybe if the police were friends with the infant, they'd have second thoughts about trying to wrangle a man holding it. But the baby was aloof towards its local police, and didn't reach out. This is the predictable result.

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

VitalSigns posted:

Lol

*police watch a murder happen, and then let the killer return for the coup de grace*
"He was their buddy, so that's fine!"

You're just too much of a *GoOoooooooooooOOOOnN* to understand how those cops FELT you see?

It's really scary there are several people here who are so worshipful of cops that they are arguing it was fine, understandable, and just that the cops let this cop kill his wife.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Really, isn't it a normal human emotional reaction to get so fed up with your bitch of an ex-wife that you kill her in a fit of rage? It certainly seems to be, it happens every day in America after all.

Where is the sympathy for the man unjustly languishing in prison for what was, after all, a completely human act? Does our common humanity not demand that we place every comprehensible human emotional act beyond the reach of criticism or censure?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

VitalSigns posted:

Really, isn't it a normal human emotional reaction to get so fed up with your bitch of an ex-wife that you kill her in a fit of rage? It certainly seems to be, it happens every day in America after all.

Where is the sympathy for the man unjustly languishing in prison for what was, after all, a completely human act? Does our common humanity not demand that we place every comprehensible human emotional act beyond the reach of criticism or censure?

Look every police needs time to process after taking a human life. They need space to gather their composure, and smooth out any discrepancies that might erroneously surface from a too-hasty questioning. They don't need to be peppered with questions, to be bamboozled or misled.

How much more the case, then, if the suspect was the cop's own wife? Imagine the turmoil.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Stop Monday morning quarterbacking.

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

Lol

i know you're an alternate reality poster but really even for you, brutalize, that's a stretch.

VitalSigns posted:

so exactly how oppressed does a particular murderous thug have to be before they gain your unconditional support? obviously cops are a no-go, black teens with a thirst for retiree blood are a-ok, but how do you feel about middle class latinos?

semper wifi
Oct 31, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Stop Monday morning quarterbacking.

You know, it is possible to think that what someone did was bad while also thinking that what they did was reasonable given their circumstances. Should the cops have shot the guy before he finished his wife off? yeah obviously. Is it reasonable for them to be reluctant to shoot someone who's "one of the good guys" and also a coworker and friend? yeah.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

semper wifi posted:

You know, it is possible to think that what someone did was bad while also thinking that what they did was reasonable given their circumstances. Should the cops have shot the guy before he finished his wife off? yeah obviously. Is it reasonable for them to be reluctant to shoot someone who's "one of the good guys" and also a coworker and friend? yeah.

No, that's not reasonable. You turn murderers off when they are in the act of committing murder. If police have trouble with it, they should practice at poker games, with Simunitions. "Pop quiz I'm a murderer! Turn me off bro! I'd do the same for you."

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

SedanChair posted:

No, that's not reasonable. You turn murderers off when they are in the act of committing murder. If police have trouble with it, they should practice at poker games, with Simunitions. "Pop quiz I'm a murderer! Turn me off bro! I'd do the same for you."

So you support training police to be less moral, less human, and more willing to overcome natural inhibitions against use of force?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Kalman posted:

So you support training police to be less moral, less human, and more willing to overcome natural inhibitions against use of force?

If the police can't be relied on to protect us from themselves, then what do we do?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Kalman posted:

Current police safety priorities:

1. Self
2. Murderous cop
3. Innocent woman

if we can change that to:

1. Self
2. Innoncent woman
3. Murderous cop

then that is a small victory. If we can teach them to shoot murderous cops to maybe save an innocent person, that is not a bad thing. Maybe some day they would even shoot a murderous cop to save an innocent black man.

Rome wasn't built in a day, though, so you should temper expectations.

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

Kalman posted:

Holy poo poo, that post. On one hand I really want you to describe how the officers actions could be described as moral in the context of this shooting, but on the other hand...

So what you're implying is that police can't be trusted to enforce the law against their own in a manner that protects public interests?

See what I did there? I took your post and wrote a loaded question that's completely not what the issue at hand is nor is it at all relevant to the overarching point that you are so quick to defend a reluctance to kill an armed man in the middle of a murder attempt, but if it's a black unarmed civilian the police should employ deadly force with no fear of reprisal.

It's almost like we're arguing that police respond with disproportionate force when it's not needed, and don't employ that same level of force in a situation where it's clearly warranted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kalman posted:

Yes actually I do think policing should be done by a professional "force" of some kind, maybe even one with some sort of academy where they could be trained to cope with the human urge to protect their own tribe at all costs and to be frightened of those who look like they are from another tribe, so they can discharge the duties appropriate to their career in a civilized society.

I also think surgeons should be trained not to retch at the sight of blood or react to deformed people with superstitious fear and violence, I'm just weird like that. I have this idiosyncratic belief that professionals ought to be held to a higher standard of conduct in their jobs than what we might expect from the average man on the street in the same circumstances.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Jun 30, 2015

• Locked thread